Fashion In Music

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Popular music has not only been about music, but looks as well from the crisp suits of the big band era, The Beatles mop tops, afros in the 1970s, colorful clothes, spandex & big hair from the 1980s, etc. How much is the importance of fashion to music and the different looks for particular music genres like the pale skin and black makeup of goth groups or cowboy outfits to country. Or is it not really a big deal in regards to the music.

Little Richard & The Beatles
little_richard-beatles.jpg

Cab Calloway
Calloway_Cab.jpg

Allman Brothers
allmanbrothersband.jpg

Ohio Players
Ohio+Players.jpg

KISS
kiss_01_band.jpg

Genesis
genesis_pic_book.jpg

The Temptations
tt-puzzle-people.jpg

Stevie Nicks
Stevie%20Nicks.jpg

The Eagles
2007271035458230.jpg

Bauhaus
december14012007.jpg

Jesse Johnson
Jesse+Johnson+J+Johnson+Pink+Guitar.jpg

The Monkees
4kees.jpg

Ready For The World
RFTWOhSheila.jpg

Julie Driscoll
70067.jpg

Prince
trend415_-_prince_dirty_mind_pic-1.jpg

Porter Wagoner
040b.jpg

Betty Wright
betty-wright-hard-to-stop-front-medium.jpg

Lennon Sisters
1966_lennon_sisters.jpg

Kid N' Play

kidnplay.jpg

Great thread.

Funnily enough, most of what I like about fashion in music comes from artists who I don't really listen to.

First thing that came to mind is Vivienne Westwood and her role in shaping the 70s punk look. Toned-down, it's something I look for in today's trends. Toned-down, lol.

Untitled-2copy.jpg

68dlzm.jpg
pete-doherty-20070722-287154.jpg

Untitled-1copy.jpg

^^^^^I'm not really familiar with punk rock. I think that was mostly a British thing.

Yeah it was. And the only way in which I'm 'familiar' with it is through the fashion of Vivienne Westwood. The Japanese have been stuck onto that style for ages now. I like it as well.

I remember you once posted an album cover by Grace Jones (who at the time I didn't know was also a recording artist) and I thought it was so stylish. I think she was smoking a cigarette or something. That lady had her own fashion going on.

It's quite a big deal.. image is worth a lot.

The public copy what the stars wear. So music influences fashion.. or is it the other way around?

Grace Jones

I remember you once posted an album cover by Grace Jones (who at the time I didn't know was also a recording artist) and I thought it was so stylish. I think she was smoking a cigarette or something. That lady had her own fashion going on.
grace31.jpg

grace7.jpg

grace_jones_01.jpg

grace_jones_main_33535t.jpg

Grace-Jones2.jpg

jones.jpg

Duran Duran
2ibj607.jpg

Human League
Human_League_Group_Photo.jpg

Robert Smith
The-Cure-Robert-Smith_l.jpg

Van Halen
VanHalen.jpg

Stryper
stryper.jpg

Run DMC & Beastie Boys

beastie_mca_retro33_072009.jpg

Erykah Badu-There are some musicians who are into styles and fashion and visuals, etc. on a personal level, not just because they should care about their looks as celebrities. And she is def. one of 'em.

2b064310fca08f71735c7010.L.jpg

3e7fc060ada0a01cac3ab110.L.jpg

^^^ Thats why when the media hypes up these new artists as being "innovative" in fashion its funny because most of it has already been done already.

^^^ Thats why when the media hypes up these new artists as being "innovative" in fashion its funny because most of it has already been done already.
Because people today have a short attention span. Some people consider something that came out 2 weeks ago "old school". :D So they're definitely not going to know about something that happened decades ago, lol.

I think fashion is important in music. From what I have observed, certain styles are used to both affiliate yourself with a certain genre, or to distinguish yourself from other artists. Female pop singers, for example, tend to be blonde, pretty, sexy and wear skimpy outfits. That's some of the criteria, but some artists (like Madonna), add their own signature styles (gloves, etc.) to individualize themselves. So paradoxically, fashion is used in the music industry to place artists in groups and to distinguish artists from a group.

Fashion is also used to attract attention, especially when on stage. Think: which would be more attention-grabbing, a guy singing onnstage wearing average clothes, or a sexy guy wearing a gold and silver space suit? When he dances, the gold and silver tones of the outfit (or the glitter, if you want to try a different era and do Billie Jean)reflect the stage lights and direct the audience's attention to the wearer of the shiny outfit.

So, fashion and music go directly hand in hand. People like Lady Gaga would lose almost all their effect if you took the fashion away.

Really..... some of the looks here are totally crazy and freak, LOL!!!! :lol:

and you say: some say today certain artists are so "groundbreaking" with their styles... yeah.... sure.... :ermm:

Most Expensivest

Here's a new segment from 2 Chainz show Most Expensivest. In this one it talks about what people have paid for outfits from Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, and Prince.

Back