Frank Cascio "My Friend Michael"/ Excerpt @pg151/New Interview Post 3743

Re: Frank Cascio "My Friend Michael" book release date Nov 15 ,2011 / Excerpt posted at @pg151

And btw he mentioned the partyes he thrown in neverland

Re: Frank Cascio "My Friend Michael" book release date Nov 15 ,2011 / Excerpt posted at @pg151

I can't believe how many excuses people make. So it's OK if folks surrounding MJ just throw some ish out there and then say "Hey, I don't know if this crap is true, but let me put it out there" so people can speculate, assume and jump to their own conclusions. SMH. How would you feel if your friends did this, spread stories that they don't know if it's true, including regarding your medical condition, which every human being has the basic right to be private and in the process contributing to negativity the media is spreading about you?

And fans wonder and even question Michael about distancing himself or cutting Frank out.

the "negativity" is all in retrospect to how you are looking at it.. OK he talks about drug pushing doctors that Michael was around etc, and some type of dependency he had to doctor pushed medication... To me I can see that INFO is a positive if I am putting into retrospect to those on tv everyday watched by millions of people that are saying Michael Jackson was a drug addict and a junkie..

People KNOW Michael Jackson used alot of medication.. the trial showcased that, so in regards the only thing Frank does is give a visual of what he saw.. and what he saw is much better than what they are trying to show on TV..

Him stating what he did more so dismisses rumors than spread negative info.. People know Michael had medication under multiple names, and they are out there EVERY DAY saying he was a junkie.. To come out and say no he was not a junkie, he dealt with some dependency problems is much better..

No one can come out and say "Michael never touched a drug in his life, and the drugs were planted in his house." no one will believe it and will dismiss any positive info that comes before and after because its obvious BS..

And how do we KNOW that if all these things were being said, and all these pics were released that Michael wouldn't want someone out saying.. NO ITS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!! There was issue, but he never was a junkie..

I can't believe how many excuses people make. So it's OK if folks surrounding MJ just throw some ish out there and then say "Hey, I don't know if this crap is true, but let me put it out there" so people can speculate, assume and jump to their own conclusions. SMH. How would you feel if your friends did this, spread stories that they don't know if it's true, including regarding your medical condition, which every human being has the basic right to be private and in the process contributing to negativity the media is spreading about you?

And fans wonder and even question Michael about distancing himself or cutting Frank out.

It happens all the time in my family, especially if the person is dead so it's no big deal to me. You should see some of our facebook accounts.

Everyone has their version of the truth, good or bad. This is just Frank's version of events so I don't know why you are so upset and seem to have such issue with fans who are willing to look at Frank's words instead of just dismissing them.

I think that the fans that are against this book have not actually read the book........that's the only logical explanation that I can come up with.

The book is a good read......not perfect, by any means, but the positives outweigh the negatives hands down. I bought 10 books to give out as gifts. I have one left. If someone has not bought it because they don't want to put money in Franks' hands, let me know. I'll be happy to let you have it.

Respect, sorry to butt in but I think Frank did mention about the parties (although he justify it saying Michael ask him to treat Neverland like his home) but he also did write about one particular "party" who Michael was very upset because of the guest that Frank invited. Frank also admit giving information to Friedman because he believe that Friedman is writing the not the truth (meaning bad stuff about Michael) and he feel justified to give info to Friedman and it seems like Friedman did a 180 and is one of the few reporters who keep insisting that Michael is not a p****.

He also did write a bit about Michael paranoia but did constantly try to defend Michael's position and when he too had to go through the trial as unindicted co-conspirator, he actually became very paranoid himself and understand the feeling. I don't think any fans are taking Frank word as 100% truth and implying Michael is not telling the truth. I feel that the book is written with a lot of love, respect and feeling for his friend, Michael.

The above mentioned mistakes of Frank are not just some random mistakes of his but they relate to his relationship with Michael.

the book the way I see it was written by a friend.. not a hater, not a suck up, but a friend.. I am thankful that Michael had Frank during specific times in his life.

It happens all the time in my family, especially if the person is dead so it's no big deal to me. You should see some of our facebook accounts.

Everyone has their version of the truth, good or bad. This is just Frank's version of events so I don't know why you are so upset and seem to have such issue with fans who are willing to look at Frank's words instead of just dismissing them.

No I just feel sad for Michael because everybody and their mama are selling him out. I didn't make excuses for others who have done it and I certainly won't be making them for Frank. And I wonder if this was someone else if some of you would be so willing and eager to defend them.

Are people never supposed to write or talk about Michael again?? whatever we knew about Michael at the time, we just freeze it there? Or only allow fantasy like story telling and exclude anything that relates to controversy... it's been 2.5 years now.. Would it make a difference if people start writing books 10 years later? When will it be ok without it considered "selling Michael out"..

Books were made about Michael during his life, and will always continue...

Are people never supposed to write or talk about Michael again?? whatever we knew about Michael at the time, we just freeze it there? Or only allow fantasy like story telling and exclude anything that relates to controversy... it's been 2.5 years now.. Would it make a difference if people start writing books 10 years later? When will it be ok without it considered "selling Michael out"..

Books were made about Michael during his life, and will always continue...

I'm sorry, just because folks write books, doesn't mean everyone should go out there publishing books. Real friends don't give info to hateful reporters that paints you in a bad light, nor do they help an eager media to cement a negative image of you. Liz Taylor never did this, Mac Culkin never did it, heck even Kathy Hilton never felt the need to do it. And as far as I know MJ never cut them out.

This is a discussion board with many topics and there is no rule for how many times anyone can post. Nor is this thread just for those who love the book as a whole. So @ Ginger spare me the mellow drama over complaining that me or anyone else keep on coming into this thread with diffrent opinions. There's an IGNORE button that u can use if it bothers u so much or the skipping option is another. And like I said just because one is reading or read the book already doesn't garantee that I or they will changed their opinions about the book to what is yours or others with an opposing view. Which if u would have looked carefully at other posts (not just mine) you would have proably noticed that!

Anyways...Dieter was another one with saying that the spider bite was not true. So that's Dieter, Frank and Friedman. Sue me if I perfer to believe MJ on this one. Especially, when in comparing the pic of MJ leg to others that had bites by the same kind of spider looking just like his bite! Gee, what a coincidence.

like I said earlier, its all in retrospect.. I dont view it as frank painting Michael in a bad light at all.. Him being dependent on medications at time like he states is MUCH better than what the media is protraying.. Basically I simply see him saying "he's not a junkie"..

To compare what people "didn't" say to what Frank said does not mean much.. Infact I could say Where was Kathy Hilton defending Michael until after he died? Im not saying she did anything wrong but if we are playing fair attack on everyone then..........

Has this book changed people's opinions about Michael? If this book is mostly positive and the media only reports anything negative like the drugs then that is all the general public will hear about Michael. The fans don't need to be convinced how great Michael was. My concern now is the public and non fans. I would like to see people be less negative of Michael. I know not everyone will come around but it's better than nothing.

I didn't read the book but in general I don't know if books are the answer to helping Michael since it seems more fans will read it than non fans and the media only want to report what they want and that is usually the negative stuff. Jermaine and now Frank said they wrote books to help Michael yet I wonder if it has done that at all.

I must say I'm a bit confused about what all the arguing is about. Some fans seem to think that the book paints Michael in a negative light or that it somehow just lists all his flaws. That's definitely not true. It portrays Michael the human being as his friend, Frank, saw him.

It's also quite frustrating to see fans saying.."oh poor Michael.."..really?? Michael Joseph Jackson was a mature adult and independent individual who had a brilliant mind. He wasn't some kind of 5 -year old being pushed around by bullies. If he didn't want someone in his life, he was never afraid to remove that person from his life. Frank continued to be Michael's friend for 25 years. If he didnt love Frank he wouldnt continue to talk to him and hang out with him and share personal moments with him. If Frank and the Cascio family weren't important to Michael, we wouldnt see them together through out the 80s, 90s, and 00s on a consistent basis.

And finally we are all entitled to our own opinions. Some people got riled up over the whole spider bite thing. Who knows?? I'm not claiming it was true or not, I'm just saying that it's plausible that it might have been from a syringe wound and Michael just used it to his advantage in court, as Frank said. Or maybe it really was a spider-bite. The truth is that none of us know for sure, but we can each have our own opinion. So it's frustrating to see some fans talk down to others like they just questioned the gospels or something. "Michael said it, therefore it must be 100 % true.." really? Well Michael also said he only had two surgeries on his nose...go figure!

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about if Frank feels inclined to talk about Michael's flaws and what Michael did to him after the trial, then perhaps he should also mention what he did to Michael before the trial. Those things are there in trial transcripts. Like throwing wild parties at Neverland while Michael wasn't there, which resulted in depletion of ranch resources. Inviting people to Michael's bedroom while he wasn't there. And so on. You may say things like these happen. Not good but sometimes things like these happen between friends. True. But if Frank doesn't tell about these, do we get the whole picture about their relationship? If he doesn't tell about this or if he doesn't tell about his relationship with Friedman, do we not miss something which could perhaps be another explanation of why Michael behaved with him the way he did after the trial? That's why I'm saying if he intends to keep it perfectly real perhaps he should tell not just about Michael's mistakes but about his own as well.

you should have read the book before making assumptions, because your post is flawed.

- Frank did wrote the parties in his book (all the people involved, alcohol and women)
- Frank did wrote due to some visitors / event Michael asked him to leave Neverland
- Frank also wrote that sometimes both Michael and Frank liked the same woman and it created a tension
- Frank also wrote some people around Michael accused him of taking throwbacks - taking money
- Frank also wrote that not only Michael his brother Eddie as well thought Frank abandoned Michael during 2005 trial

he's not painting himself as a saint. he mentions a lot of his own flaws and accusations / allegations against him as well.

Has this book changed people's opinions about Michael? If this book is mostly positive and the media only reports anything negative like the drugs then that is all the general public will hear about Michael. The fans don't need to be convinced how great Michael was. My concern now is the public and non fans. I would like to see people be less negative of Michael. I know not everyone will come around but it's better than nothing.

I didn't read the book but in general I don't know if books are the answer to helping Michael since it seems more fans will read it than non fans and the media only want to report what they want and that is usually the negative stuff. Jermaine and now Frank said they wrote books to help Michael yet I wonder if it has done that at all.

Nope. It's just added to the negative image the media loves to go on about. That's the sad truth. The public isn't gonna rush to buy this book, they just read the headlines in the media.

Add to this Frank telling Friedman that MJ faked the spider bite... How did that benefit or help Michael and for what purpose was done in the first place?

Anyway, I personally am not desperate for the positive information in Frank's book. I could've done without it perfectly fine if that meant no additional negative crap in the media about MJ. People act like he revealed some earth shattering info that the fans didn't know or realize already. To me reading a few positive stories that aren't exactly surprising to any fan, is not worth the additional dirtying up of MJ's name in the media and to the public.

Add to this Frank telling Friedman that MJ faked the spider bite... How did that benefit or help Michael and for what purpose was done in the first place?

It doesn't have to beneft or help Michael..it's purpose is to tell the truth.

Anyway, I personally am not desperate for the positive information in Frank's book. I could've done without it perfectly fine if that meant no additional negative crap in the media about MJ.

With all due respect, don't you think that's pretty biased? Why should we fans just close ours ears and say "Ignorance is bliss." Whatever happend to the truth? Who cares if somethings are negative, if they happend they happend. Why would we or anyone pretend they didn't happen just so Michael looks good? Why? For what? We are fans of Michael Jackson the person, and if we can't accept him the way he truly was, then why should we expect others to..?

Frank's book is certainly better than those books, no doubt. However he too has his biases. In this case we learn every detail about Michael's flaws but he doesn't say anything about the conflicts they had because Frank took advantage of his association with Michael.

Sorry to cut in again but I really can't agree with your POV.
Honestly, who won't have biases? You have, he has, I have, everybody has. Everyone has their point of view. This is an interesting accusation. I really wanted to ask the question did you actually read the book to say Frank only detail Mj's flaw but not his? After reading the whole thing, I really don't think so. He mentioned his conflicts and their fall out. If he wanted to hide, he can just skip lots of things. Yes, I believe there might be things that he didn't mention and overlooked in his book. However, I don't think he details only MJ's faults. When I read the book, MJ is a human being who would make mistakes but MJ tried his best to be a good father, friend, mentor. MJ gave his talent to the world. I don't know why you have the impression the book is about detail MJ's flaws. To me, I don't think so. I actually admired MJ more after I read the book. He really is a very strong and determined person and he never gave up. I don't know how all your negativity came from.

It doesn't have to beneft or help Michael..it's purpose is to tell the truth.
o_O But, Frank said he wrote the book to help the misconception that is out their about MJ didn't he? So if it don't help MJ or benefit him and contardicts many things we heard like the Spider bite incident and who is tellin the truth about it and many things then what purpose does it then serve other then to create doubt on either him or MJ?

When I read the book, MJ is a human being who would make mistakes but MJ tried his best to be a good father, friend, mentor. MJ gave his talent to the world. I actually admired MJ more after I read the book. He really is a very strong and determined person and he never gave up.

This is exactly how I felt after I read the book.

o_O But, Frank said he wrote the book to help the misconception that is out their about MJ didn't he?

r u mixing him with Jermaine? Only claim (I know) Frank did was about molestation accusations.

^ lol I thought he had promise to clear up many misconceptions about MJ? Was he only talking about the allegations? Well, then no wonder.

I don't know guys, it seems like alot of people didn't actually READ the book. It was such a loving and warm-hearted account of his time with MJ. People make it seem like Frank was vicious in the book talking about Michael's negativity. Not at all! Throughout the entire book Frank does nothing but praise Michael over and over again and says how much he loves him and everytime he's away from Michael he feels he just can't live without him and ends up coming back. When Frank talks about the wonderful times they had together, he just says it the way it happend. Maybe some things people might think weren't very nice of Michael. But it's ethically more proper to tell the whole story then to just say all the good stuff and skip all the "bad". In my humble opinion, that would be just as bad as saying all the bad stuff and skipping the good..because either way he wouldnt be telling the truth and giving a complete picture of Michael the person. But just to reiterate, there wasn't actually anything that negative in the book that Frank mentioned. Michael was a human being. He was talented and charismatic, but a human being nonetheless. He had his good days and his bad days. Made good decisions and bad decisions. It's normal. I think for alot of fans, they've just built up this non-existant image of Michael in their heads where he's some kind of apostle or something. Michael was a normal guy just like you and me..and that's essentially what he'd been trying to tell the world and the press through his entire career..

you should have read the book before making assumptions, because your post is flawed.

- Frank did wrote the parties in his book (all the people involved, alcohol and women)
- Frank did wrote due to some visitors / event Michael asked him to leave Neverland
- Frank also wrote that sometimes both Michael and Frank liked the same woman and it created a tension
- Frank also wrote some people around Michael accused him of taking throwbacks - taking money
- Frank also wrote that not only Michael his brother Eddie as well thought Frank abandoned Michael during 2005 trial

he's not painting himself as a saint. he mentions a lot of his own flaws and accusations / allegations against him as well.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. At least he doesn't paint himself a saint then.

I think that the fans that are against this book have not actually read the book........that's the only logical explanation that I can come up with.

The book is a good read......not perfect, by any means, but the positives outweigh the negatives hands down. I bought 10 books to give out as gifts. I have one left. If someone has not bought it because they don't want to put money in Franks' hands, let me know. I'll be happy to let you have it.

i agree with you 1000 procent :)

bluetopez;3558689 said:
^ lol I thought he had promise to clear up many misconceptions about MJ? Was he only talking about the allegations? Well, then no wonder.

I don't know what he promised to you or what kind of expectations you have created in your mind. I didn't listen to many of his interviews (I was busy). To me what he mentioned was the molestation allegations well because Frank was in the room / with those people. Other than that to me it always sounded like "his friendship with Michael" , nothing more- nothing less. It was Jermaine's book who went on and on about "the truth"..

from book description on Amazon

In My Friend Michael, Cascio refutes the rumors, lies, and accusations that have accumulated over the years, providing a candid look at the Michael Jackson he knew for more than two decades. Offering an uplifting and definitive account of the legend, Cascio details how he grew up alongside Jackson, traveling the world with him on concert tours and eventually working for him. Through this lens, Cascio captures Jackson’s most private and tumultuous moments, while also setting the record straight on the entertainer’s notorious and misunderstood lifestyle—from his Peter Pan reality and his sexuality to the false allegations against him.

As Cascio shows, there was a great deal more to Michael Jackson than the headlines about him have suggested. Cascio reveals his friend in all his complexity, bringing to light his passions and joys as well as his flaws and eccentricities. Including stories about Jackson that have never before been made public, Cascio creates a balanced, human look at the pop star, one that shows Jackson as the very real person he was—a lively friend with an endearingly juvenile sense of humor.

What emerges is a clear-eyed yet deeply respectful portrait of Jackson—a man who was at times unremarkably average but also terribly scarred by his life in the spotlight.

let's go over it

rumors , lies , allegations. false accusations - the molestation allegations
his sexuality - yep he wrote that but you'll went "privateee"
peter pan - it's there and okay

his flaws and eccentricities - it's not sugarcoated
balanced human look - again both positive and negative
clear eyed yet deeply respectful - yep flaws are there but also a lot of positive

respect77;3558697 said:
OK, thanks for clearing that up. At least he doesn't paint himself a saint then.

yeah.. if you read it, you would have known it rather than making assumptions. and we could have avoided it

MoeJack;3558696 said:
I don't know guys, it seems like alot of people didn't actually READ the book. It was such a loving and warm-hearted account of his time with MJ. People make it seem like Frank was vicious in the book talking about Michael's negativity. Not at all! Throughout the entire book Frank does nothing but praise Michael over and over again and says how much he loves him and everytime he's away from Michael he feels he just can't live without him and ends up coming back. When Frank talks about the wonderful times they had together, he just says it the way it happend. Maybe some things people might think weren't very nice of Michael. But it's ethically more proper to tell the whole story then to just say all the good stuff and skip all the "bad". In my humble opinion, that would be just as bad as saying all the bad stuff and skipping the good..because either way he wouldnt be telling the truth and giving a complete picture of Michael the person. But just to reiterate, there wasn't actually anything that negative in the book that Frank mentioned. Michael was a human being. He was talented and charismatic, but a human being nonetheless. He had his good days and his bad days. Made good decisions and bad decisions. It's normal. I think for alot of fans, they've just built up this non-existant image of Michael in their heads where he's some kind of apostle or something. Michael was a normal guy just like you and me..and that's essentially what he'd been trying to tell the world and the press through his entire career..

wonderful post.. but some will hate it regardless.. that's their chosen path..

This book made me feel more love for michael then i ever did, because of the incredible friendship they had. frank wrote full with love honesty and not as a fact.. but his view
This book is a book i would recomend to every non michael fan to read. This is how michael is.was a great father friend teacher mentor etc

I dont see why people who dont even read the book come here over and over and make us who love it look bad and attack frank without even knowing what there talking about. Thats just as bad as the media did to michael..

I hope you first all read it and then come in and be judgemental

nice post ivy, thx hope that that will clear up by the haters and non readers here

I actually think that Frank's book could potentially be helpful- especially in the future when people will have only a vague idea that some people thought of this genius as 'deviant whatever'. What future generations need to find in the bookshelves of their libraries is a respectful mix of Cascio and Joe Vogel books. The "Michael is a true Saint" books are very lovely and a balance to the temporary hatred of yesteryear's haters.

Maybe books like these will help restore the balance in the future that his contemporaries simply refused to give Michael while alive.

To ask 2 or 3 months after the publication of a book (and with that scorn! very sad):
"Sooooooooooo, what did his book change????????? Nananana, nothing."

^^That's so myopic, it's VERY unlike Michael Jackson. Think of Invincible...or the way he always sought out ways to top himself one way or the other- or to find a way to stick out in history with something that would remain. (and no, I am not comparing this book to Invincible...:cheeky:)

Instead of decrying that haters of today will not be swayed- as a number of people have said before in this thread: It's a worthwhile attempt to view this book of potentially not recognized value for the future- you and I are contemporaries- future generations have to rely entirely on 'historical' viewpoints. This book is neither sugary-sweet with angel wings only- nor does it portray Michael as deviant druggy. It's like some people who go and travel the world- some will see pros and cons in foreign lands, some view that as confirmation that the grass is always greener somewhere else BUT home and others cling even more to a familiar 'home', as if traveling confirms their worst preconceived notions about a foreign land- readers of a book can be just like that.

And- compared to many biographies and accounts on other luminaries- this book doesn't draw out negativity- this thread contains far more 'negativity' than the entire book. Just because today's media is culpable for ganging up on Michael Jackson- doesn't have to mean that those who knew him have an obligation to paint some infallible E.T. superman in their depictions.
It's also important that those that knew him stick to their side of the story- because it is exactly that which will make it PAINFULLY obvious that irresponsible journalistic witch hunts are the ones that blow things out of proportion- and it's that honesty of his contemporaries that will expose the media- especially down the road in the future. Nobody is gonna buy the fairytale of "Michael never had an issue"- but people will be more sympathetic down the road when they read an account that is plausible- because a plausible account of a human being is far more helpful and realistic than the media's vilification and dumbing it down.
Who is gonna care about Drew Pinsky? *envisions serious scholars watching Nancy Grace*- the only thing they will do is shudder and realize how ridiculous that was.
What do cops do when they interview 20 different witnesses? They know that everyone is going to tell a different story. 20 witnesses- at least 20 stories- even more if you interview them again. But from out of all that a general picture will emerge. And it's safe to say that Michael Jackson has nothing to fear about his life being viewed in retrospect. He was human and is an incredible force on this planet.

Think longterm, not shortterm. All those people will go away- Michael's oeuvre and the man behind it are to stay.

Just a two or three generations down the road historians will actually value such contributions as contemporary witnesses- and that's far better than the fictional works of Dimond and co.

Last edited:

Excellent post, I agree.

Back