Harry Connick, Jr. upset over MJ and Jackson 5 "racist" stage act

HeavenCanWaitx3

Proud Member
Hey everyone. There has been a lot of MJ news centered around celebs today. Harry Connick, Jr. is in the news, and he is apparently upset over what he saw as inappropriate for a stage act to have painted their faces black.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...ackson-act-I-wouldnt-have-done-the-show-video

There's a video showing what happened.

I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose, but I can see where some people would be upset...it just seems a little off to me.

yeah..one would have to study the history of the culture to understand why that would hurt african americans deeply. besides..if u feel funny about something, it usually means it is quite off. i appreciate Harry Conick Jr.'s sensitivity.

I remember there was so much controversy when Ted Dansen appeared in black-face at then girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg's roast. She was not amused (neither was the world) and they didn't last too long after that.

I think this is done in poor taste and I would have been appalled like Harry Connick Jr. was.

I remember there was so much controversy when Ted Dansen appeared in black-face at then girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg's roast. She was not amused (neither was the world) and they didn't last too long after that.

I think this is done in poor taste and I would have been appalled like Harry Connick Jr. was.

This is off-subject, but I just had to correct you. The black-face bit was actually Whoopi Goldberg's idea, which is why Ted Danson felt it would be okay to do. They were both shocked at the backlash they received.

As usual the Australian media is playing ignorant and claiming it's a difference in "humour". The coverage I have seen so far has anyway.
Sometimes I'm really at a loss when it comes to my country's treatment of racial issues... I wish we'd just step up and address them instead of playing the defence and pleading ignorant.

As usual the Australian media is playing ignorant and claiming it's a difference in "humour". The coverage I have seen so far has anyway.
Sometimes I'm really at a loss when it comes to my country's treatment of racial issues... I wish we'd just step up and address them instead of playing the defence and pleading ignorant.

*sidenote* can't wait to visit Australia....

I don't know much about what's going on down there but things won't change unless ppl start making a fuss about issues such as racism... Things won't change overnight but it will get the ball rolling... Hell here in America we are slowly getting things together... Just cuz Obama's in the "House" doesn't mean he erased racism...

I don't think it had anything to do with Michael. It was about black americans in general, and Harry coming from the south, obviously took offense to it. I mean, theres a lot of history (to do with racism/slavery etc) from where he comes from (New Orleans), so I am not surprised.

however, having said that, didn't harry dress as a black american for a skit years ago??? Something which was brought to the attention of media today. For SNL or sometihng I think.

p.s. I thought the skit was lame regardless, it wasn't even funny, just stupid

That was extremly stupid and not funny at all? But racism? Why the hell? They didn't make fun out of black people... did I miss something?

I don't think it had anything to do with Michael. It was about black americans in general, and Harry coming from the south, obviously took offense to it. I mean, theres a lot of history (to do with racism/slavery etc) from where he comes from (New Orleans), so I am not surprised.

however, having said that, didn't harry dress as a black american for a skit years ago??? Something which was brought to the attention of media today. For SNL or sometihng I think.

I HATE the media for bringing that up. It's completely taken out of context. They're trying to make him look like a hypocrite for the sake of their own image and preservation. From what I saw on the add, Harry isn't wearing blackface. There's no getting around the negative connotations of wearing blackface. I think the people at Red Faces should have taken that into account.

I HATE the media for bringing that up. It's completely taken out of context. They're trying to make him look like a hypocrite for the sake of their own image and preservation. From what I saw on the add, Harry isn't wearing blackface. There's no getting around the negative connotations of wearing blackface. I think the people at Red Faces should have taken that into account.

I haven't seen it, is he just pretending to be a black american or something???

The media feed anything and everything to get reaction.

As I said, it's mainly about where Harry comes from that was the reason he found it so offensive. Obviously an issue close to him - considering the history of his state.

i haven't seen it but played a little of audio from it on my radio show this morning. *sigh* it's moments like this when i'm ashamed to call myself australian.

i haven't seen it but played a little of audio from it on my radio show this morning. *sigh* it's moments like this when i'm ashamed to call myself australian.

OMG! Someone from WA!! I thought I was the only one :p

yeh, was all over the radio this morning!

yeah the skit was lame...but people don't understand that in Europe and Australia we don't necessarily mean racism stuff like this is not meant to insult, but as always americans are very sensitive about this issue

I am a European currently living in Sydney and I found the sketch offensive, upsetting and alarmingly disrespectful...

I can not get my head around of the so called "ozzie humour" if I had been doing something similar about an aboroginal or an australian of asian heritage I would be bombarded with complaints..

but because it was MJ many people around me just say "this was meant to be fun" well yeah....but then you dont emphasize the change of apperance of skin colour as it was done here neither you do a comedy like this one the main charachter has just passed away!

The world is filled with double standards this is a good example of that...and just dont get me started with the Polanski case!

yeah the skit was lame...but people don't understand that in Europe and Australia we don't necessarily mean racism stuff like this is not meant to insult, but as always americans are very sensitive about this issue

Yeah I agree. At first I thought that Harry had a problem with it because he thought they were insulting Michael, but it turns out there's a whole history with "blackface". I bet you most Australians haven't even heard of it before... including myself.

I wasn't even offended by the skit, I just thought it was pretty stupid. I mean they weren't calling him names or whatever.. all they did was come out singing with some shit choreography.

I think Americans need to keep in mind that every country as its own culture and history. Just because something offends them, they can't expect the rest of the world to know about it or to be offended by it. Just something to think about....

and to add to this I still cant get over my shock over the fact that there was not one candlelight tribute not one flowerbed memorial nothing in June when the whole world was mourning. But at least in Sydney there was not a single sign of taking notice that one of the biggest entertainers that have ever lived has left this world......

I am deeply disappointed .....

Yeah I agree. At first I thought that Harry had a problem with it because he thought they were insulting Michael, but it turns out there's a whole history with "blackface". I bet you most Australians haven't even heard of it before... including myself.

I wasn't even offended by the skit, I just thought it was pretty stupid. I mean they weren't calling him names or whatever.. all they did was come out singing with some shit choreography.

I think Americans need to keep in mind that every country as its own culture and history. Just because something offends them, they can't expect the rest of the world to know about it or to be offended by it. Just something to think about....

No, not everyone can be expected to know the history... but the television producers should have not let this go on. Even the lead singer on the group said he wouldnt do this in America which means he knew the negative connotations and went ahead anyway.

But this isn't just about American history, it's about the perception and treatment of different races. That affects everyone. And for the record, Minstrel shows weren't exclusive to America. Also, I was offended BEFORE Harry said anything and I'm Australian. It's not just an American thing. It's a respect thing.

I will add though, I bet this act wouldnt have even been invited back if Michael hadnt passed away. He's just the name to mention these days. They tried to capitalise on that it back fired.

Last edited:
There is no way a skit like that would have been aired in the US or UK. Its offensive, plain and simple.

It's not the fact they were dressing up as black men, it's the fact they painted their faces PURE BLACK and danced around like bafoons.

This is where the negative connotations come from. Look up the term 'gollywog' on wikipedia, it should give at least some information on this.

this is so shameful! why would anybody think this is funny and ok to put on tv?? are people really that desperate for ratings??

mm...i watched this last night with my dad

and both our jaws dropped when we saw their faces... they shouldn't have done that and i would definitely not call that a 'tribute' to the jackson 5 or michael... it was plain disgusting and i'm quite disappointed that they allowed something like that to be aired.

I am so taken aback by your comment right now. That is such an ignorant thing to say! A perfect example of ignorance is prejudice. Maybe you should do some research on the subject then come back and realise how ridiculous that comment was.

Oh, and I'm not American but found that completely disgusting.

Back