How old were you when you started listening to Michael Jackson?

Re: How old was you when you started to listnening to Michael Jackson?

I heard pieces of his music from time to time from childhood, as a preteen... but before I was 18 in 2010 and became a fan, I could only recall the Thriller short film. Ridiculous, I know. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much daily Michaeling took place after 2010, on that fateful day when I decided to give a listen to an album labeled "HIStory" in my stepdad's music collection for "background music" while I cleaned my room :)

I heard my first MJ song when I was 7-8 years old, and I believe it was BEAT IT. He was my first celebrity, and I love that about him.

3 years old. Back in 1988. Bad video. I love the sequence when he runs up the stairs, stop before the shaft (or something else) does his spin and sing the second chorus. I ever imitated that when i was a little child. In that time I always want to go the mini playback show here in Germany and performe Bad or Thriller. My first album ever, was the BAD album. Summer holidays 88 in Turkey. I remember I was sleeping on a couch and a melodie made me awake this night. It was a song from the BAD Album, which my father bought for me and made a suprise during I was sleeping. I was so lucky. I'll never forget that night. It's now 26 years since I'm a fan. Unbelievable how fast the time is run away.

We have the same in common! Your story is almost the same as mine!

I got BAD on a cassette tape. I played it over and over and over!!! I literally copied the tapes several times to make sure I had a backup, just in case. And god, I needed those backups!

3 years old I was... Seeing Michael Jackson's Bad Short Film. On that moment I became a fan.

If I could only turn back time, to re-experience those days as an adult. It would be awesome!

What a lovely thread here :blush:

I was 10 when I first heard 'The girl is mine' on the radio that was October 1982. I was so intrigued by that soft voice on the radio, I looked up his name and when I saw Michael in Beat it for the first time :eek: I was mesmerized and right then and there I fell in :love:
Being quite a shy kid, Michael made me blossom open.

I was 9 years old, my uncle bought me the HIStory album.. i played a few song's & then, Man In The Mirror starts playing, the vocals, the harmonies, his voice was like taking a trip to heaven & back, it was so magical, no media story could distract me from his genius.. i had to find out more.. unfortunately when he passed.. i was 13 years old.. never got the chance to see him in concert or speak with him personally, that is something i always punish myself about, being born so late.. but i try and experience is true wisdom of entertainment & L.O.V.E as much as is possible through the visual/audio material we have. i'll Never stop loving you Michael.

What a lovely thread here :blush:

I was 10 when I first heard 'The girl is mine' on the radio that was October 1982. I was so intrigued by that soft voice on the radio, I looked up his name and when I saw Michael in Beat it for the first time :eek: I was mesmerized and right then and there I fell in :love:
Being quite a shy kid, Michael made me blossom open.

:giggle:

Sorry, I have a dirty mind. I would blossom open for him, too! :hysterical:

I was about 10-11 when I first heard Thriller. I've never looked back since.

10 years old 1989

I literally can't remember not loving him lol. My mother said that I used to be especially excited when his videos would play on MTV, I'd stand in front of the tv and dance and bop around. I must've not been more than 10 mos. to a year old. My first solid memories of him are the DSTYGE video and being really scared then totally amazed at Thriller. '84 - Present, fan serving a life sentence lol. There was never any hope for me lol, I belonged to him from day one... :heart:

I wasn't allowed to listen to Michael as a child. I was born in 92, then the horrible allegations of 93 happened and my father was beyond convinced that they were real. I had heard bits and pieces of Michael's music growing up, but never really got the chance to fully listen.

I remember when the Number Ones CD came out, I was about ten at the time. I was with my family in Best Buy and we were going through the CD's and buying some. I picked up Number Ones to look at it because the cover looked cool. My dad yelled at me in the middle of the store to "put that child molester music down." I wasn't a fan then, but I was really hurt by that.

Then came the 2005 trial. I remember coming home from school every day and that was the only thing on the news. It was non stop. Even as a twelve year old kid I thought they fixated on the stupidest things like how his nose looked at that moment, the day he showed up in pj's and the 'dancing' on top of the SUV. When Michael was vindicated, my father screamed at the TV, ranting that Michael "got away with it because he's rich and famous." I watched the film reel as Michael walked out of the courthouse. Again, I wasn't a fan then but that news clip broke my heart. I felt horrible for him. I found myself wondering why a kid could see what even the adults couldn't...that Michael was innocent.

After that I started listening to his music and watching his videos on the family computer and downloading some of it (this was in the hay-day of LimeWire and Napster). When I got a job at the age of 16 I bought my own music and my parents really couldn't stop me from listening to Michael anymore.

I've been an avid fan ever since. I'm 21 now and haven't looked back. I love being part of the MJfam.

I was almost 6, when I got the Bad album, which was my first album ever

When i was 8 or 9 years old... The Bad short film was the clip shown on the hit shows on tv at the time...
And i was blown away by Moonwalker, hence my user name. I'm a fan since the Bad era...

I wasn't allowed to listen to Michael as a child. I was born in 92, then the horrible allegations of 93 happened and my father was beyond convinced that they were real. I had heard bits and pieces of Michael's music growing up, but never really got the chance to fully listen.

I remember when the Number Ones CD came out, I was about ten at the time. I was with my family in Best Buy and we were going through the CD's and buying some. I picked up Number Ones to look at it because the cover looked cool. My dad yelled at me in the middle of the store to "put that child molester music down." I wasn't a fan then, but I was really hurt by that.

Then came the 2005 trial. I remember coming home from school every day and that was the only thing on the news. It was non stop. Even as a twelve year old kid I thought they fixated on the stupidest things like how his nose looked at that moment, the day he showed up in pj's and the 'dancing' on top of the SUV. When Michael was vindicated, my father screamed at the TV, ranting that Michael "got away with it because he's rich and famous." I watched the film reel as Michael walked out of the courthouse. Again, I wasn't a fan then but that news clip broke my heart. I felt horrible for him. I found myself wondering why a kid could see what even the adults couldn't...that Michael was innocent.

After that I started listening to his music and watching his videos on the family computer and downloading some of it (this was in the hay-day of LimeWire and Napster). When I got a job at the age of 16 I bought my own music and my parents really couldn't stop me from listening to Michael anymore.

I've been an avid fan ever since. I'm 21 now and haven't looked back. I love being part of the MJfam.

What a story! I can relate to you...

1987 when I was 9 years old :)

3 Years Old when my dad made the "Mistake" of buying Thriller on video :dancin:

I was around 10 years old when I got REALLY into MJ. I can't say for sure when I heard him for the first time though.

I was born in the 80s in a very musical household so MJ's music would have been all around me since birth. I have the odd memory here and there of him playing in the house/being on TV.

Like all youngsters in the 80s (I was only 5 or 6 in the late 80s) I was a 'fan'. Everyone was into it. Into the early 90s I remember loving the Black or White video and stealing my brother's Dangerous cassette every now and again but it wasn't until 1994 that I became the fan I am today.

Well, I got reaaaally into him in 2001, after the 30th Anniversary Concert :wub: I was 11. But as many here, I had heard and seen him way before, I think my first memory of him was in the mid 90's when I saw 'Moonwalker' on tv :woohoo: I must've been around 8 or 9, I'm almost 26 now... he looked so mysterious and beautiful and that sure made a huge impression on me as a kid! ugh! that man has been such a big part of my life, I don't think I'll never stop loving him the way I have all these years, my love for him has only gotten more intense :girl_love: :girl_sigh:

me with 6 years, my xmas present was the HIStory album in 1995. ( i went so crazy that day lol)
but i knew his videos already in 1992 (black or white, remember the time), used to watch them on TV.

but when i saw the history booklet, while listening to it, i knew what i need to get asap (ALL THE ALBUMS!).

When I was 10 on June 25th 2009 ever since then I've had a love for his music, I even dance like him.

I guess i was like 7 years old, when i saw him on Wetten Dass ..? in germany

- wrong thread

Last edited:

I was about three and Moonwalker was on TV and I was so afraid of when he turned into the robot. After that I was actually afraid of MJ. I thought he was a monster. I wouldn't even watch him on TV. I remember hearing his songs on the radio, but I didn't realize they were him. Then around age 9 History was released and my mom bought it. I got curious and listened to the cd and was hooked. I remember thinking that the songs on disc one were new. After that I became sort of obsessed with him and haven't looked back.

Sorry, bit of a story.

I would have been about 5/6 years old, it would have been around 1995. My Mother recorded one of MJ's concerts off the TV, it would have to have been a concert from the Dangerous tour, but not the one that's on DVD now, it was different to that. I remember being given the video and I was thrilled about it to begin with because I wasn't really into music videos, I liked action movies. I put it on anyway and I liked it. I remember being scared during Thriller because the zombies were dragging MJ to a coffin and being young I thought they were going to hurt him. :giggle:

After that he was my favourite person in the world, my Mother said I used to sleep with his picture under my pillow and that I used to talk to the picture. I'm glad I was allowed to watch and listen to MJ, I'll bet by stepfather didn't like it, he had a bad opinion of MJ but I don't remember him saying anything negative to me. I suspect my Mother would have throttled him if he had. :D

I watched that concert video all the time and had a friend a year younger than me who also loved MJ. He had a large MJ poster on his bedroom wall and we used to talk MJ and watch the concert together. One night when I was about 7 I had a dream that MJ came to my house in a helicopter and tried to kidnap me. I'm not sure what led to a dream like this, maybe I heard someone say something negative and it buried itself in my subconscious, I'm not sure. It was a stupid dream but being a young child it scared me so I decided I didn't like him anymore and moved onto interests in other things.

I didn't think about MJ much after that for a number of years and I didn't know very much about him anymore. About a year or so before his death that stupid "MJ was my lover" documentary was on TV and I watched it with my Mother. I was probably in my mid teens at that stage and had no idea what the media was really like or that things in documentaries aren't true just because they're shown on TV. I thought what was said was true. My Mother said she felt sorry for MJ even though she believed it too. I took a view at that point that life had been tough for him and felt compassion even though I believed that crap.

That horrible day when I learned he'd died I was shocked, I'd just got up and was about to have a shower. I hoped it wasn't true, his death hadn't been confirmed yet. I cried in the shower which was a big thing for me, crying is something I rarely do even when very stressful or traumatic things are happening. Unbeknown to me I still had an emotional connection to MJ left over from my childhood, I just hadn't known it was still there. Usually I can detach myself a fair bit when deaths occur or are imminent, I did this with my Grandmother when we found out she had a couple of years to live. I was about 9 then.

Since I wasn't aware I still had a connection to MJ I didn't have the chance to put the guard up so I was blindsided by grief and emotion. I was confused because this was a man I'd never met and hardly knew anything about. I remember expressing my confusion to my Mother while we were in the car one day, and she said MJ was a big part of my life when I was a kid so it was natural that I'd be upset.

I can honestly say I've never grieved for anyone the way I did for MJ, not even any of the 26 people who's funerals I've attended in the last 8 years. It wasn't that I didn't care for any of those people, I'm just fairly closed off emotionally because I've had to be to survive. I relearned things about MJ after his death, I threw myself into intense research to find out about this man I was grieving for.

I was participating in discussions regularly on the main MJ facebook fan page when it still had a discussion board but it wasn't moderated and was full of haters. Fans were conversing with them and defending MJ and there were a handful providing information. All the discussion piqued my curiosity and I decided to research the allegations against MJ. To be honest, since I didn't know much about it and everything I'd heard and read via media was negative I was almost 100% sure I would find evidence of guilt.

I was 20 at the time and knew very little about how the media worked and what they could and couldn't get away with saying or doing. I knew they'd exaggerate their stories or get certain details wrong but had no idea of the extent. I read things from both perspectives and found the Vindicating Michael blog through the discussions on the MJ facebook page. I liked this site because documents and other pieces of evidence are provided so you can see for it yourself, it wasn't just someone's opinion. I learned about logical fallacies and critical thinking which enabled me to better understand the burden of proof and what it really requires to prove something.

I felt horrible as I was learning about it for a couple of reasons. One reason was that I felt guilty because I'd jumped to a conclusion without making sure I had my facts right first and that wasn't fair. I was disappointed in myself, and these days I hate it when people don't fact check before reaching a conclusion and opening their mouths but this doesn't just apply to MJ, it applies to everything, after all, it wouldn't be consistent not to apply it to everything. I love learning what I can about MJ and have learned about many interesting things that have helped me in everyday life. I'll be a hardcore fan until the day I die.

1976ish? I was 7 years old when 'Dancing Machine' was big on AM radio and everyone was doing the robot. I loved 'Blame It on the Boogie,' which I played on a K-Tel 'greatest hits' record. I enjoyed The Jacksons variety show. I remember doing a dance routine to the first three minutes of DSTYGE in gym class. So Michael was always around for me at a very young age, but then everything surrounding Thriller exploded in my face and he's had my undivided attention ever since.

2009 i was 10 almost 11. After he died I got very curious and wanted to know more about him, I would Google the most ridiculous things about him (like his favorite color, did he have a cat, ect.) And I would looks at pictures of him for hours at a time. And I bought Dangerous sometime in late 2009 and was ADDICTED! then I got TII for Valentines Day the following year and I watched that everyday for many many months. Since then my MJ collection has gotten bigger and I became the person I am today

For me it would of been '06/'07 when I was around 11 or 12, found the History album in our house and I use to listen to the greatest hits disc all the time (even remember sitting in the hallway flicking through the booklet the first time). I even took it to school one day to play on the CD player even though mum told me not too, oops. :cheeky: I also remember back then seeing Michael videos on TV a lot, Remember the Time and Thriller stood out for me (back when they used to play music videos on TV). Another thing, I remember when I got my first laptop in 2008 and seeing Thriller 25 on iTunes which made me get into the Thriller album. The rest is history.

Mum got History back in '95 when I was a bub and she told me that there was one particular track from the history album (disc 2) that I would dance to as a baby but she forgot the song, and its bugs me so much cause I would love to know what song it was (because technically that song would've been my first favourite Michael song. I'm secretly hoping it was Tabloid Junkie cause thats an all time favourite, but I guess I'll never know...)

Last edited:

it's funny how most of us (not all of course) started liking him when we were very young! I remember being in target (which is a big convenience/department store for those of you who aren't from the u.s.)and finding one of the machines that plays samples from different CDs on sale. This was a christmas one, and I really liked the J5 sample so I asked my mom if she would buy it for me. I remember I started being a fan in the height of the 2nd trial in around 2005 so I would have been about 12.

Back