Jackson-Wonder connection

impressive thread..
i never liked Get It until i heard those remixes above and now the whole song sounds so much better to me, more dynamic, i've been listening to it all day =D
though even those versions dont come close to Just Good Friends.

I would love to hear MJ singing Higher Ground.

You're right in that you'd think that the Jackson/Wonder collaboration on would have turned out to be more iconic songs like Ebony & Ivory w/ McCartney. Even though Get It and Just Good Friends are still good catchy song, theyre not up there with The Girl Is Mine etc. Maybe its the McCartney factor?
I think "What's That You're Doing?" by Stevie and Paul is better than "Ebony And Ivory". There's a bootleg of Stevie, Paul, & John Lennon from 1974 called "A Toot and A Snore In 74". It's of no musical value, lol. But it is historical. Also there is another Stevie connection with Paul, both wrote songs on "Off The Wall". Stevie & Mike participated on Minnie Riperton's "Love Lives Forever" album, released after her death. They also sang backup on Donna Summer's "State Of Independence".

Both hold Grammy records. Stevie Wonder holds the record for most wins by a male solo artist, and MJ holds the record for most wins in one year.
I think Carlos Santana tied that.

I think "What's That You're Doing?" by Stevie and Paul is better than "Ebony And Ivory". There's a bootleg of Stevie, Paul, & John Lennon from 1974 called "A Toot and A Snore In 74". It's of no musical value, lol. But it is historical. Also there is another Stevie connection with Paul, both wrote songs on "Off The Wall". Stevie & Mike participated on Minnie Riperton's "Love Lives Forever" album, released after her death. They also sang backup on Donna Summer's "State Of Independence".
We all have our own favourites of which song was better obviously but what I was talking about was which song was more iconic in the publics eye which was Ebony and Ivory over any of the Jackson/Wonder collaborations.

And yes Im aware of "A Toot and a 'Snort' in '74". Basically just a Jam session but as you said, for histories sakes.

^^^^^Lennon says the word "snort", but the bootleg cover says "Snore". It is also called "A Toot And A Snore In 74" on Youtube.

I think Carlos Santana tied that.

Santana did tie it, but it seems that the way the record works is he who made it first is the one who claims the stake.

I'm not a big fan of the bootleg. It is historical, and I have it, but most of the stuff I've gave a couple listens and passed on. Still pretty cool to own though.

Since Paul/The Beatles have come into this, both Stevie and MJ have covered them: Stevie has done "We Can Work It Out" (Signed, Sealed & Delivered album) and MJ has covered "Come Together" (HIStory and Moonwalker).

both Stevie and MJ have covered them: Stevie has done "We Can Work It Out" (Signed, Sealed & Delivered album) and MJ has covered "Come Together" (HIStory and Moonwalker).

But only 1 paid for it!

Well, I think MJ paid a bit more to cover "Come Together" than Stevie did to cover "We Can Work It Out" if you think about it, lol.

It just turned out to be more profitable for MJ in the end.

Well, I think MJ paid a bit more to cover "Come Together" than Stevie did to cover "We Can Work It Out" if you think about it, lol.

It just turned out to be more profitable for MJ in the end.
lol True!

Of course there is so much connection - Stevie and MJ are mates....
i would so love to have Stevie on stage at This is it - that would be amazing!

Michael Sembello played on records by Stevie & the Jacksons. Stevie & the Jacksons have also been photographed with Bob Marley.

Both were heavily linked to Eddie Murphy. They were both targets of Eddie's humor on "Delirious". Stevie appeared with Eddie on Saturday Night Live and MJ collaborated with Eddie later.

I found it :

source: http://www.the-michael-jackson-archives.com/

These songs have always facinated me so much!!!
I'd really love to hear them all!:yes:
Read those last 2 lines of the article:
"I wish those songs coul have been released back then. But they still could be released now and be #1- God -for a long time..."

OH MAN, I would go CRAZY if I could hear this, lol. Like, abnormally crazy, lol.

This interview is from 1984

raisa, you're awesome. i got that first article from you ages ago, i remember. thanks for this clipping.

and if I Can't Help It is any indication of a Jackson-Wonder flare, then i have no doubt as to Mike's claims in those last lines!

thanks again
I agree. 'I can't help it" is more of the caliber of what I would expect from MJ and Stevie

I love "I Can't Help It". So smooth and the sound is deep and rich. I don't have a good set of headphones. Every time I go to Best Buy or an Apple Store and listen to the good headphones they have with the deep sound and bass, I just say "Man, I wish this was I Can't Help It."

Stevie Wonder & Jermaine Jackson

205p0nt.png

When the members of The Jackson 5 left Motown to sign with CBS in the mid-1970s, there was one member who stayed behind: Jermaine Jackson, who was married to Motown founder Berry Gordy's daughter, Hazel. Nothing very much happened with Jermaine's career until this album, which became a success largely thanks to Stevie's contributions: the rousing title track 'Let's Get Serious', a US Top Ten hit single (Motown 1469, March 1980; note: the single version is an edit), and the follow-up ballad 'You're Supposed To Keep Your Love For Me' (Motown 1490, July? 1980). Stevie's third song on the LP, the catchy 'Where Are You Now', should also have been a single - arguably, it would have been a more successful choice than 'You're Supposed To Keep Your Love For Me', which peaked at number 34.

At any rate, Stevie's contribution to the Let's Get Serious album - recorded in 1979 - was a triumph for everyone involved. Stevie not only produced his own songs, but also provided most of the instrumental backing, even singing a few solo lines on the title track. Recalled Jermaine Jackson, "As well as Stevie writing and producing three songs for the album he also involved himself in the songs I did for myself. So much he wanted his songs to fit my concept."

'You're Supposed To Keep Your Love For Me' actually dated back to a 1974 recording session Stevie did for The Jackson 5. On that version, Jermaine was also the lead singer. However, the 1974 recording - and a song entitled 'No News Is Good News', made at the same time - remain unreleased.

The same year, Stevie recorded his own version of 'You're Supposed To Keep Your Love For Me', during a session at Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia. This recording, which has yet to be released, features bass, drums, string section, an extended muted trumpet solo and, of course, Stevie's vocals and keyboards.

'Let's Get Serious' had also been around for a few years. Reportedly, Stevie originally planned to release his own version of the song, but when Berry Gordy heard it he persuaded Stevie to donate 'Let's Get Serious' to Jermaine Jackson.

http://www.carlmagnuspalm.com/personal/stevie/songs80.html
-------------------------------------

14vnzax.jpg

2i0pt92.jpg

spacer.gif

5ex4ly.jpg

Let's Get Serious LP 1980

Let's Get Serious

Where Are You Now

You're Supposed To

24603o4.jpg

Jermaine LP 1980

You Love Me,Don't You
(feat. Stevie
on harp)

Instrumental-Vocal
Mix

5ow36q.jpg

Precious Love 1986

I Think It's Love

Never heard "I Think It's Love". Not bad for what it's worth.

liveattheroxy.png

Let's Get Serious - Jermaine Jackson & Stevie Wonder (Live At The Roxy 1980)

liveatthelosangelesforu.png

Let's Get Serious - Stevie Wonder (Live At The Forum 1980)

cheers, Supe. never heard those live renditions, love the second one - completely "Steviefied".

here's another Jackson-Stevie link this time with La Toya in her debut album which had several great musicians drop by. Stevie here does a brief harp solo:

9ga741.jpg

My Love Has
Passed You By

(1980)

^Also a nice track. In the whole time I've scouted the other Jackson's materials, I've never come across some of these and, to be honest, have never bothered with La Toya, but that is a nice track. For some reason it reminds me a bit of Barry White's version of "Just The Way You Are". Just a similar vibe. Or The Jackson 5's "Never Can Say Goodbye". Nice. Maybe now I'll take the time out to give La Toya some time.

Jermaine also recorded with Syreeta Wright, Stevie's ex-wife from the 70's and longtime co-writer and backing vocalist.

I love "I Can't Help It". So smooth and the sound is deep and rich. I don't have a good set of headphones. Every time I go to Best Buy or an Apple Store and listen to the good headphones they have with the deep sound and bass, I just say "Man, I wish this was I Can't Help It."
:yes: :wub:
I have good earphones...get a pair!! It's worth it!

Stevie Wonder Talkbox Medley (Never Can Say Goodbye included)

The second pic looks like they're singing and snapping they're fingers. Would love to have heard it.

1jpgx.jpg

Last edited:
Clip of "Buttercup"... only 30 seconds (from the iTunes preview).

Can't wait to hear the whole track, sounds way more smooth and soulful than Carl Anderson's version, which I also enjoy.

Oh, man, I need to come back this evening and really absorb this amazing thread. Many thanks. I NEED to hear these unreleased J5/Steve tracks, WANT them to be as good as "I Can't Help It," and PRAY they're not like "Ebony and Ivory." (Oh Stevie, why such schmaltz when you're so brilliant?)

Last night I was looking for any evidence that MJ and John Lennon ever even met; none yet, but MJ's friendship with Sean Lennon makes me wonder. My two fallen idols.

Back