John Landis suing Michael Jackson?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's silly to get upset about any of it. We don't know what he is entitled too and we certainly don't have a right to judge based on no knowledge.

If he deserves a percentage then he deserves it. If not the courts will decide - not our place to have any say about any of it.

Seriously not our business. And your damn right LJ if someone owed me money I'd be on their butts :yes:

This is not Michael Jackson's fault. Someone screwed up, and John wasn't paid, but it wasn't Michael's decision to not pay John Landis.

hell, the man didn't write or record the damned song, he just directed the video! OMG, GMAB!

you realize thats the best music video of all time right? directing is a big part of that...
and if they made a 50/50 deal, then Mj has to own up to it.

If Michael owes him Michael will pay him. But John did you really have to take this to a childish level with name calling? Makes you look like spoiled brat act your age

Ehe, I think Michael's made better videos then "Thriller". The direction is big, but without the right person on screen, it doesn't matter how good it's supposed to be, it won't be as good. That video was what it was because of Michael's performance. When's the last time Landis even directed a film of any signifigance? And I love his timing, what with discussions going on to make "Thriller" in to a Broadway play.

John is entitled to his money, but people should remember that Michael doesn't lapse in payment's due to any malicious intent.

Last edited:
So for instance, the Thriller musical in which the producer acquired the rights from Michael Jackson in the amount of 100,000.00 USD. The play will be based off of the video. Michael (according to the contract) must pay 50% of that to John Landis.

Each time the video is played on MTV/BET/VH1/Much Music and other video networks, a licensing fee is acquired. Sony (the distributor of the video) will get their cut and the rest to MJ. MJ then is supposed to pay John Landis 50%. Same with the sale of the video/dvd. Monies collected by the distributor will go to Michael after the distributor gets their cut. Michael is then supposed pay Landis.

John Landis co-wrote the script (story board) and directed the film so that's where his 1/2 comes in. Hope this helps!

Mike made a bad deal to me.I hope this is rsolved very soon.

^^ Apparently MJ didn't think it was a bad idea initially, he paid the 50% to John until the year the trial began, then he just closed shop. I guess since he figured (John) that he couldn't handle this privately that he'd take it to the street and of course same scenario, different situation and here we go again.

Likely this won't be too much of a hassle. I think there's a level of misunderstanding between the two parties. I personally think the deal was bad for both sides but what the hey, I don't deal into business of someone else's monies.

It's nice to see people being sensible about this and seeing that this is not some personal or greedy suing session. This is simple business, some wires got crossed somewhere and it had nothing to do with MJ himself.

I think the problem is that Michael has so many different companies and assets that his ever changing employees cant keep up with it all.

Lendis silent for four years. This is understandable, the profit was not so great. But now he felt the real money from the productions on Broadway, and decided to act

As someone said, this is an open and shut case.
IF John hasn't been receiving any royalties for the past 4 years (atleast) then he deserves to be paid, expecially as the Thrillr 25 album will have generated a decent amount of money for him.
BUT the day-to-day running of these things will not be directly down to Mike. He has people to pay his bills for him and they should be the ones to sort this mess out. It could be true though that Sony are keeping all profits in order to pay back Mike's loan in which case, Mike may struggle to pay back John. As usual Mike's finances are in a mess, but hopefully they'll be back on track soon.
John has always spoken very highly of Mike (though criticising his surgery, which is understandable) and I'm sure this case is the only way to get noticed. Mike is just too hard to contact any other way. If he was easier to deal with, many of his past court cases would have been settled in a much more amicable, and less public, way.

the contract was a great deal for John Landis, helped him out big time considering the situation he was in around that time, that's probably the reason he is being patient.

Im quite angry bout this

John only directed the video, the rest is of michael's own work
i just think it a lil silly

:)There shud be law called "Michael Jackson Law" in which nobody can sue Michael Jackson for atleast 6 months of every yr.hehe this way court will not have to waste its time on useless cases like this.:D

Sweet Mary and Joseph!!!!!!!! 50%%%, good googa mooga!!! Well MJ looks like you got into this contract with Landis, so if you owe the man X amount of $$ then pay up. I mean you don't want that to go on your credit report, then those pesky creditors will call your house from 8am-9pm. Do what's right so you can get this behind you and concentrate on your new album.

Word of advise, do as Oprah does and sign your own checks from now on. Don't let anyone else do it because then you won't know where your money is going. Fire everyone and only have 3ppl in your inner circle for business purposes. Michael it's time you handle your own affairs because it seems that everytime someone else does it for you, you end up on the courthouse steps. Stop using publicist and speak for yourself, hire only one attorney and go form there. BALANCE YOUR OWN CHECKBOOK!!

:rofl: oh michael make sure u pay ur debts man :doh::D
Thats true Michael, dont trust anyone with your money except yourself sweetie :better:

What if MJ didn't sign any agreement? Especially for 50 percent of everything for ever. I think that someone else signed this agreement and it has to be cleared up. How many Directors of a film get that kind of deal? Does that also mean that the Director of BAD or SMOOTH CRIMMINAL or whatever also get 50 percent of everything...I can't believe that...

What if MJ didn't sign any agreement? Especially for 50 percent of everything for ever. I think that someone else signed this agreement and it has to be cleared up. How many Directors of a film get that kind of deal? Does that also mean that the Director of BAD or SMOOTH CRIMMINAL or whatever also get 50 percent of everything...I can't believe that...

MJ did sign an agreement- it's in black and white for anyone to see. :yes: His signature is on that paper. He's been paying 50% up until 2005.

The reason John Landis gets this deal and others may not is because MJ agreed to this with John Landis. Not only did Landis direct but he co-wrote, produced and secured deals for the rights to the making of. Also, the film was funded by MJ's company, rather than a record company. :)

mj needs to sort out paying people. At first i thought people had it in for him. But this is getting silly. He is screwing up relationships with people who can be a big help to him! What is the point!

... Michael (according to the contract) must pay 50% of that to John Landis.

it doesn't matter if ppl here think John Landis 'deserves' the 50%. Michael obviously did think so. Michael signed the contract.

It doesn't matter who is at fault for that those 50% weren't payed anymore for the last years. Michael signed the contract saying he would pay.

It's his responsibility. Either he has to take care of his business himself or if he doesn't want that he needs to find ppl and a controlling system serving him better than this! It is his responsibility.
As a mature adult he will be always held responsible for what he signed. Michael needs to take care that his bills are payed in time if he wants to be taken seriously business wise.

John Landis mentioned this two years or so ago saying also that he doesn't really want to sue Michael, means he gave Michael time enough. I'd sue also honestly if by now no money came in and probably also no reason was given or no try was made to solve this differently... well I don't know about that. But John Landis is to me not just a greedy someone... Michael could have taken the hind. It was already in the news such a long while ago. Still I hope they're still friends enough to solve this aside from court at least now... but it's not nice that Michael needs to be forced like this to handle his business proper really geeeeez.

it doesn't matter if ppl here think John Landis 'deserves' the 50%.
As a mature adult he will be always held responsible for what he signed. Michael needs to take care that his bills are payed in time if he wants to be taken seriously business wise.

John Landis mentioned this two years or so ago saying also that he doesn't really want to sue Michael, means he gave Michael time enough. I'd sue also honestly if by now no money came in and probably also no reason was given or no try was made to solve this differently... well I don't know about that. But John Landis is to me not just a greedy someone... Michael could have taken the hind. It was already in the news such a long while ago. Still I hope they're still friends enough to solve this aside from court at least now... but it's not nice that Michael needs to be forced like this to handle his business proper really geeeeez.

I agree with you 100%. Probably is not MJ direct fault if his people did not pay John, but he has to make sure John get the money first!
2 years ago Landis said MJ own him money but he didn't want to sue him, and also that the spoke about business!! so they propbaly were talking about all that stuff and they agreed on something, now John sued him...sorry but it smells!
I would do the same if I got to know MJ is spending 100.000 $ a month for a megavilla while he still has to pay my royalities!! That's not fair, and I think MJ should get honest people around him, people who do their job instead of keeping the money devolved to pay John and others for themselves.
MJ wake up!

it doesn't matter if ppl here think John Landis 'deserves' the 50%. Michael obviously did think so. Michael signed the contract.

It doesn't matter who is at fault for that those 50% weren't payed anymore for the last years. Michael signed the contract saying he would pay.

It's his responsibility. Either he has to take care of his business himself or if he doesn't want that he needs to find ppl and a controlling system serving him better than this! It is his responsibility.

I agree. We just need to admit it that Michael is just not handling his business.

Someone needs to list down all the contractual and other obligations for Michael. Doesn't homie have like a PA or secretary... there's so many in his pay roll..he has to keep up or he'll be in and out of court...and Im sure he does not WANT that.

As someone said, this is an open and shut case.
IF John hasn't been receiving any royalties for the past 4 years (atleast) then he deserves to be paid, expecially as the Thrillr 25 album will have generated a decent amount of money for him.
BUT the day-to-day running of these things will not be directly down to Mike. He has people to pay his bills for him and they should be the ones to sort this mess out. It could be true though that Sony are keeping all profits in order to pay back Mike's loan in which case, Mike may struggle to pay back John. As usual Mike's finances are in a mess, but hopefully they'll be back on track soon.
John has always spoken very highly of Mike (though criticising his surgery, which is understandable) and I'm sure this case is the only way to get noticed. Mike is just too hard to contact any other way. If he was easier to deal with, many of his past court cases would have been settled in a much more amicable, and less public, way.

wrong actually.... tell that to Wesley Snipes who is sitting in jail thanks to him having a bad bookkeeper for his financial affairs. At the end of the day YOU are responsible for the $$ that passes through your companies, YOU are responsible for the people you hire to run your business... if the person you hire cant count and get's you into a mess, it's your fault for not hiring the right person.
Yes you can fire or even sue the person for causing you to lose $$ etc but it's still your problem first. ;) If it's your name at the top of the page it's your problem ;)

mike mike mike, when are you going to pay your bills?
This doesen't look good, escpecially because it's the Thriller video.

I don't think this is Michaels fault he hires people to do his business, these people should have made sure John was paid, i'm sure this will be settled soon.

50% wow just for directing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back