Johnny Depp Wants to Play Michael Jackson in a Movie

I like Johnny Depp, but...
I mean how will Johnny portray a little black boy growing up in Gary Indiana, being a teenager with an Afro and going through vitiligo. Putting brown make up on etc. It will be controversial, especially with a media that attacks Michael at every given chance.
I would love to see a movie about Michael, but when and if it happens, I expect it will go throughout his life, just not the trial and all of those things, where he might look similar to Johnny.

8dvukhx.jpg

It will probably go into his transition with vitiligo and all of the above, like Johnny Cash's story went into everything he went through, and all of the other stories before that. This is what I wrote on another board discussing the same topic

with Michael it is very controversial. He is like the first ever black superstar legend to be worshiped by people of all races without segregation, he does alot for the world, and for black people as people. He broke barriers etc. And when his skin turned white due to vitiligo it did cause controversy and still does to this day. Michael said so himself it hurts him when people say he is trying to be other than what he is, and I believe him when he says that. Why would he want to be put through that? Black people feeling that Michael is disowning his heritage and white people thinking hes trying to be like them. Its not fair on him or anybody. I can understand the confusion with some members. Michael is a black man, and some people may feel getting a white actor to portray such a huge status black man would be controversial, especially seeing as a majority of the world already feels Michael doesnt want to be black (all you got to do is read youtube comments to know how stupid and ignorant people are). How would Johnny portray a little black boy growing up in Gary Indiana? There was a Michael before Vitiligo, and I can imagine if the life story was ever to be made, his vitiligo and appearence changing would be a part of it.

You can see a movie being made about a person who has vitiligo and that will be the main topic of the movie, the transition, dealing with public perception etc, and accepting your body is changing.... but with Michael he had to do it alone... hiding from the public, and coming out publicly with his appearence looking different as time went on. If there was ever to be a movie about Michael, to understand him... they would need to go into detail of his dealing with vitiligo, and his transition. But like I said just dealing with vitiligo would be a movie in itself... But with Michael he has done so much in his life, been through hell and back, so the vitiligo is something he had to deal with aswell as other achievements and obsticiles, as his life went on.

I dont know who would play Michael... Make up does do wonders, and having a black actor (perhaps unknown?) with white make up is a good way. Or perhaps an actor with Vitiligo! Can you imagine Johnny Depp with brown make up, and white blotches, an Afro with Jermaine and Tito?. I like Johnny Depp he is a great actor, I think Johnnys characters have similar characteristics to Michael,
And I agree not everything is about appaearence, but people shouldnt forget that there was Michael before vitiligo. Michael hasnt always looked the way he does now, and reality is that would be a big part of his life story if there ever was one made.

just my 2 cents. I hope it made sense
lol.gif

I don't see JD playiing pre bad era Mj. if he were to play MJ.

And I agree peeps shouldn't forget the MJ pre vitiligo...but i think in general, people only FOCUS on pre vitiligo MJ :lol: They think when MJ had vitiligo, everything went to hell and they uplift anything hes done pre vitiligo, like he was a different person back then. And the person AFTER vitiligo is like...worthless? only 'black' MJ and Thriller MJ was great.

I don't see JD playiing pre bad era Mj. if he were to play MJ.

And I agree peeps shouldn't forget the MJ pre vitiligo...but i think in general, people only FOCUS on pre vitiligo MJ :lol: They think when MJ had vitiligo, everything went to hell and they uplift anything hes done pre vitiligo, like he was a different person back then. And the person AFTER vitiligo is like...worthless? only 'black' MJ and Thriller MJ was great.

I agree! I mean that will be just duft!:lol: Anyway if this happens I think it will involve a lot of actors with JD been one of them(possibly the only white actor involved) OR JD will focus on MJ post vitiligo.

Michael Jackson said:
"It does not matter if you are black or white.":)

Michael Jackson said: Why would I want a white child to play me? I am a black American, I am proud to be a black American, I am proud of my race, I am proud of who I am, I have a lot of pride in who I am, and dignity. Thats like you wanting an oriental person to play you as a child, does that make sense?

Oprah Winfrey, 1993. :)

Last edited:
Does it matter if the actor is black or white? Why do we talk about how wrong it is for a white guy to play a black guy and at the same time talk about how stupid racism is? This is racism! Let Depp play Michael if he wants to! He would do great as MJ of today, because what's the deal with having a black actor if you are going to but makeup on him to look white?? Surely it would be fine but Depp would also be fine and we shouldn't go after skin colour, not if they would make a movie with Michael Jackson in it. Because, honestly, you could see him as both black and white today, black in the origin, white in the skin...

I can understand that Michael wouldn't choose a white kid to play him as a KID. But if we talk about today it shouldn't really have to matter. I don’t think about Michael as either Black or White, he’s just Mike. :)

If people are that uptight about their race, then in my view, they're only promoting racism by making it the central aspect of who they are. This ain't gonna happen, so its a silly conversation anyway. But Michael has never had anything to do with any movies made about his life except that Jackson's movie, because that was family made and he just gave his concent for his image to be portrayed, nothing else, and he wouldn't have anything to do with this one if it were a reality, I'm sure. So the black community could lose their minds over it, but in the end, Michael would have no direct connection and so they couldn't lay anything on him. If they don't know by now that Michael sufferes from a skin disorder, its because they choose to be ignorant. Deep down, they know.

Well like J5Master said, it's acting and it would be a white man pretending to be a black man. Ever seen "Black Like You"? That was a white man pretending to be a black man to see what it's like. So, I'm just saying. It isn't easy to turn dark skin pigmentless, even with today's make up, and it would be easier with a white actor. I'm not saying a white actor should portray Michael. I don't really want any film made about Michael. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be done as an insult to the black community, it would be done for realism and convienience purposes, turning already light skin white is simply more achieveable. Kind of like Peter Pan is usually portrayed by a woman, because women are more similar to little boys, in terms of features and voice, then men are.

Thats easy for YOU to say. Typical mindset and response from someone who is not black. Everything is so simple and everyone else is overreacting or sensitive.

Michael Jackson is a black man who later put on white make up. Is it incomprehensible for a black actor to be able to do the same? Or is it the nose jobs that Michael has gone under which will have too much requirement to suspend the belief, so hey must get a white actor who already has a slender nose (and yes I'm aware that Johnny Depp, for example, is half Native American)?

Hello. I'm black lol.

And I'm not taking this so seriously since JD never said that he's gonna play MJ ...sooooo...yeah. lol

Um, I wasn't talking to you. It was for "wannabestartingsomething".

You could do without it, but the movie presumably won't be made for diehard Michael Jackson fans who look at all his stuff and maybe like other albums better than Thriller. It'll be made for the general public, and... it's Thriller. The hypothetical movie shouldn't be altered so it's more suitable for Johnny Depp to play lol. People are going to want at least his whole adult career/trial, if not the entire life story. I'm almost certain that people would generally be disappointed if they didn't at least get some Thriller era MJ. Commercially, that was the pinnacle.

On top of that, I also find the idea of starting the movie after Thriller somewhat odd because when I think of a possible MJ big screen movie, going through the changes would actually be one of the more appealing points. For promotion, they could even release the Thriller and BAD album covers with whoever the actor playing him is. And I don't see a black Johnny Depp with a gherri curl looking anything other than dumb.

All in all, covering more than post-Thriller MJ would make the more intriguing film. I honestly think some of the posters are losing sight of that because they're such ardent Johnny Depp fangirls. it doesn't really matter since Depp was just kidding around, but still.

Seriously, they're the worst.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe the black pride thing is the biggest problem... people will get offended.

But Johnny Depp would do a great job too, and me myself ain't gonna write any complains to some studio if he acctually got a role as Michael (which he hasn't so everybody chill out, he just wanted to play Michael, who doesn't?)

Does it matter if the actor is black or white?

Yes it does matter.

Why do we talk about how wrong it is for a white guy to play a black guy and at the same time talk about how stupid racism is? This is racism!

This is not "Racism". What do you think when they chose a white woman to play Nefertiti in "The Ten Commandments"? Was that not racism, perpetuating the fact that the Ancient Egyptians weren't black?

I can understand that Michael wouldn't choose a white kid to play him as a KID. But if we talk about today it shouldn't really have to matter.

So as a kid Michael is black, so you must get a black child actor, but as an adult he isn't black so he has to be played by a white actor because of his white skin complexion? lol.

This whole ordeal of the "difficulty" of having a black actor put on white make up would not look like MJ is a laugh. Michael Jackson is a black man who puts make up on to be white. Unless its the nose jobs right?

Because, honestly, you could see him as both black and white today, black in the origin, white in the skin... I don’t think about Michael as either Black or White, he’s just Mike. :)

Which is exactly the problem. He is black. Get over it.

You can't tell me if Willie Draper (RIP) was still alive, he couldn't have played Michael post-Victory with lighter make up? Or I suppose being that when MJ's skin got lighter it also made his nose get thinner too, so maybe a white man does need to play MJ
lol.gif

7118768_115021911395.jpg

Wannabe was just agreeing with what I said in the post u quoted :tongue:

Thanks i appreciate that :tongue:

What quote are you reading? We must not be reading the same ones.

Last edited:
What quote are you reading? We must not be reading the same ones.

This quote:

Well like J5Master said, it's acting and it would be a white man pretending to be a black man. Ever seen "Black Like You"? That was a white man pretending to be a black man to see what it's like. So, I'm just saying. It isn't easy to turn dark skin pigmentless, even with today's make up, and it would be easier with a white actor. I'm not saying a white actor should portray Michael. I don't really want any film made about Michael. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be done as an insult to the black community, it would be done for realism and convienience purposes, turning already light skin white is simply more achieveable. Kind of like Peter Pan is usually portrayed by a woman, because women are more similar to little boys, in terms of features and voice, then men are.
LOL

Anyways I dunno why ya'll are getting so deep into this when JD really ISN'T gonna play MJ. All people are saying is that given JD's acting skills, he'd make a good MJ in a movie. Racial problems aside...his acting talents = good portrayal of MJ's personality

And what's this about MJ putting on make up to be white? his skin IS mostly white cuz of vitiligo lol

And no JD doesn't HAVe to play MJ...they don't HAVE to find a white actor to play post vitiligo MJ...but IF JD really wanted to play MJ, his race shouldn't be a barrier aesthetically/artistically, because of make up and all of that. SUre it'll cause a crazy uproar (I'm not denying that) but, it's not impossible, is all I'm saying. The idea isn't impossible.

Last edited:
I remember that, but at the time I took it to mean, it was still a white kid doing the moves but they super-imposed Mike's head onto it. Doesn't matter either way, you're probably right.

mjillbetherelg6.jpg

I like Johnny Depp, but...
I mean how will Johnny portray a little black boy growing up in Gary Indiana, being a teenager with an Afro and going through vitiligo. Putting brown make up on etc. It will be controversial, especially with a media that attacks Michael at every given chance.
I would love to see a movie about Michael, but when and if it happens, I expect it will go throughout his life, just not the trial and all of those things, where he might look similar to Johnny.

8dvukhx.jpg

It will probably go into his transition with vitiligo and all of the above, like Johnny Cash's story went into everything he went through, and all of the other stories before that. This is what I wrote on another board discussing the same topic

ZOMG!!!!!!!111 Catherine who is that nappy headed ho? That isn't our Michael Jackson!!! Michael Jackson should be played by Orlando Bloom :wub::wub::wub::wub: He has long hair too, just like Michael!! ZOMGGG he would be perfect!!!!!1 He is sooooooooooooo hot. ORLY FOR MJ!! Lets make a petition!!! Send it to Sony!!!

Last edited:
:rolleyes:.............

You can't tell me if Willie Draper (RIP) was still alive, he couldn't have played Michael post-Victory with lighter make up?

No one's saying that he couldn't have. lol

Last edited:
i love Johnny Depp, seen all his movies - he's a great actor, but it seemed to me that "Finding Neverland" and "Chocolate factory" werent good enough. as if he didnt really understand the roles. but it's only a personal opinion. so i wouldnt like him playing Michael cause he doesnt understand him properly and plus Michael is not that old to film movies about him. He's a legend sure but he always was. and his work is not completed. IMO

Eh i guess i disagree...cuz I'm personally tired of the whole Thriller worship in general so if someone made a movie of all of MJ's life, I'd probably fast forward to the Bad era...only cuz everything after Thriller is LESS talked about in depth. Thats even if JD DIDN'T play MJ lol

Everyone knows everything about the Thriller era...people talk about it allll the time. We know the ends and outs of it. But what about the Bad era? Bad tour? What was happening when MJ made the Bad video? What was going through MJ's head when he made In The Closet, Remember the Time? Its not just cuz its all about JD like your implying, seriously I'd really like to see a movie of everything post thriller cuz i'm TIRED of Thriller...seriously LOL. People used that dang thing to say MJ hasn't made/done anything good since, and it's ANNOYING. Cuz IMO, MJ has done much more interesting things in his life and his art post thriller. and if those things are highlighted, I would bow down to the producer of that movie lol.

And if its a movie about MJ's life in any way, why wouldn't it be for the fans, just cuz it's not involving thriller? And commercially people would see it just for the controversial parts. LOL

And a movie wouldn't necessarily be 'altered' just for JD to play. But people can be creative with the standard bio pic can't they? To me, the more creative and different a movie is, the better. So it'll be a breath of fresh air to me if someone did a bio pic and did it differently from the regular old format, and did it WELL if JD stars in it or not.

But I think that's all about you and not what a general audience would probably want to see. They'd want to see earlier MJ, they'd want to see the finer points of his career (INCLUDING BAD and Dangerous), they'd want to see him go from dark skinned to light (hopefully written by somebody who promotes that he has vitiligo), they'd want to see the trial (hopefully written by somebody actually educated on it), and maybe the entire life story. The first half wouldn't be too much like An American Dream if the emphasis was on Michael, rather than the whole Jackson family as it was in that movie. As I said, I'm pretty sure that people would be generally disappointed if the film started out post Thriller, and if Jackson fans stepped away from their fandom for a minute, they'd probably see how silly it is to skip the pre-BAD parts. Again, I think going through all the changes and eras would actually be one of the more intriguing points of the movie. A Michael Jackson big screen film would be watched primarily by non-diehard fans, because it would envoke a great deal of interest. It's pretty much like doing a Muhammad Ali movie and skipping the part where he got drafted, because Ali fans are tired of hearing about it and think that the stuff that happened afterward was much better.

Not that it should be all about commercial success; hopefully MJ would have a say in it, which they'd need if they wanted to get personal accurately and non-fictionally. Michael hasn't even released an autobiography about his trial and all of that, so they pretty much can't cover his life in a movie without his assistance. If they did, it'd most likely be trash.

And just cuz YOU can't see JD playing MJ and looking right doesn't mean it's not possible. Have you ever seen a pic of Edgar Allan Poe? If they could transform MJ into that crazy ugly man then I think they can transform handsome JD into handsome MJ :lol: Thats why its a movie, that's why its acting, thats why it's art...the transformation. And if done right, i think people can surprise you.

I still don't see Depp playing a brown skinned MJ, and still think that time period would be a necessary component in a film presumably watched by a mainstream audience. I'm cool with disagreeing on that, though.

Last edited:
How absured. Depp would obviously only be effective playing Michael after the majority of his skin had lost pigmentation. Talking about portraying Michael before then isn't even the question.

Like I said before, making your race the focul point of who you are only creates racism, similar to when a homosexual makes their sexuality the focul point of who they are, they are drawing attention to that basically meaningless fact and thus creating more focus on it then there should be. The goal, if we ever want to live in a truly equal and fair world, is to make race, sex, religion and preference a non-factor.

Last edited:
yep. i agree. However if the movie is to show MJ's accomplishments towards the black community, and his advancements as a black man in america then race is a factor (this fact i was NEVER ARGUING thankyouverymuch).

Of course not. Michael broke down barriers like no other. He made it be known that a black performer could be as and more successful then a white performer. In fact, he's the first and only black performer to be bigger then Elvis, Sinatra and The Beatles. He leveled the playing field. He also made it so that, black or white, race isn't what determines success, its talent and personality.

Last edited:
How absured. Depp would obviously only be effective playing Michael after the majority of his skin had lost pigmentation. Talking about portraying Michael before then isn't even the question.

Correct, and I think skipping the pre-BAD stuff would be pretty odd and nonsensical for reasons I've already said. I'm not denying that Depp would probably do a bang up job playing Michael Jackson once the de-pigmentation had already occurred, though. Not that he was even serious when he talked about it.

I don't even know why people are arguing whether or not Johnny Depp will play Michael pre vitilgo like during the Off the Wall Era....not only would Johnny have to become black but he would also have to get over 20 yrs younger, so that would be pretty nonsensical. If he were to play MJ he would most likely play him post vitiligo.

Johnny was obviously joking about playing him but i would not be surprised if he actually took a role playing him. Johnny always finds the human side to his characters even if its playing a throat slashing murderer lol so i don't think he would make Mike look bad at all.

Also someone pointed out both of their friendliness to Marlon Brando but they've also worked with Stephen King and Vincent Price which i find pretty cool too.

I've always thought Mike and Johnny would make good friends if they ever did meet, like i said they seem to have an interest in similar things, have a similar demeanor, they're both around the same age (just 5 yrs difference), they both love kids and they are both very charitable people without having to alert the media about their good deeds.

Last edited:
I don't even know why people are arguing whether or not Johnny Depp will play Michael pre vitilgo like during the Off the Wall Era....not only would Johnny have to become black but he would also have to get over 20 yrs younger, so that would be pretty nonsensical. If he were to play MJ he would most likely play him post vitiligo.

Johnny was obviously joking about playing him but i would not be surprised if he actually took a role playing him. Johnny always finds the human side to his characters even if its playing a throat slashing murderer lol so i don't think he would make Mike look bad at all.

Great post. Thank you. :D

I really don't think it's gonna happen any time soon, if another movie about Michael gets made at all. Nothing to get worked up over. ;)

^ I'm pretty sure that most other sane humans who read the article realized that and discussed it hypothetically anyway.

johnny depp is my favorite actor. i really like him if someone had to play michael i believe depp is the best to do it. but i dont think there is going to be a movie now about michael.his history still goes...

oops.....definitely didnt mean to post....

Last edited:
I'm sick of Depp. If he ever played Michael, I would probably hurt someone close to me.

Just....no. He is a decent enough actor, but THATS IT! He is FAR too ovverrated.

Ever since Jack Sparrow, people treat him like a god. Think about it. Can you REALLY see him portraying Michael Jackson?

Back