Johnny Depp Wants to Play Michael Jackson in a Movie

CherubimII

Proud Member
Johnny Depp's Jackson Ambition
Today 07:05
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/Joh...Depp-19228.html
Johnny Depp would love to play Michael Jackson in a movie
about his life.The 44-year-old actor was said to have based his character Willy Wonka in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' on the eccentric singer - who was cleared of child molestation charges
in 2005 - and has joked he would be willing to portray the
reclusive star if the opportunity arose.

He told BANG Showbiz: "I have heard that I based Willy Wonka on Michael Jackson before, but no, that was not my plan, I wish I had thought of that though.
Comment on this Article
"But there is still time to play him. He might get up to his old tricks again and maybe there will be a TV movie about him!"
Johnny - who stars as a murderous barber in 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street' - also revealed he had no intention of sounding like David Bowie in the musical film.
He added: "I wouldn't ever dream of attempting to channel David Bowie because he is one of my heroes. But if there is a similarity it wasn't intentional. It's a nice compliment though."

i hope no one plays michael ever in a movie. i would hate to see someone else pretending to be him.

I was watching this interview the other day. He's soooo amazing :wub: I'd love to see him playing Michael - him and Michael should work together!!!

If anyone should ever play Michael, I think Johnny would be the best for it.

Michael Jackson may look white, but Michael is a black man. There are plenty of light skinned black dudes out there that can play Mike with makeup. I like Johnny, but I'm not keen on him playing Mike.

Seems like to me he also based Edward Scissorhands on MJ, but that's cool. I have no problem with him basing his characters on Michael--but Mike is black. That's just like saying he should have played Ray Charles imo.

Michael Jackson may look white, but Michael is a black man. There are plenty of light skinned black dudes out there that can play Mike with makeup. I like Johnny, but I'm not keen on him playing Mike.

Seems like to me he also based Edward Scissorhands on MJ, but that's cool. I have no problem with him basing his characters on Michael--but Mike is black. That's just like saying he should have played Ray Charles imo.
I was going to say something about that but then I thought I'd better not. Being black is more than just colour of skin. There is a spiritual bonding too, which must be portrayed captured in anyone who plays MJ. MJ would be better played by someone who understands his culture, I believe.

I think JD would do MJ justice.

Unlike FLEX, JD is a brilliant actor lol.

And as far as the black/white issue...thats why it's called acting. I mean John Travolta played a woman and he's not...a woman :lol: I think JD can play a black person, if he's talented enough (which i think he is).

And besides being black is part of a person's identity but it isn't a person's WHOLE identity.

Last edited:
I was going to say something about that but then I thought I'd better not. Being black is more than just colour of skin. There is a spiritual bonding too, which must be portrayed captured in anyone who plays MJ. MJ would be better played by someone who understands his culture, I believe.
Plus, are Mike's parents and siblings supposed to be white? Is he supposed to be white as a young MJ? I think not!!!!

Michael Jackson said:
"It does not matter if you are black or white.":)

I think JD would do MJ justice.

Unlike FLEX, JD is a brilliant actor lol.
There are plenty of BLACK brilliant actors out there!

You really want to get the black community pissed off? Just let somebody of non-african american descent portray Mike on the big screen.

Last edited:
I know there are plenty of black actors out there. lol I'm not saying JD is the ONLY person that could play him. I'm entertaining the thought of the POSSIBILITY of JD playing him (the point of this thread)...the IDEA of him playing him...and race aside, or even included i think JD, as an actor, would be great.

I'm not trying to get the black community pissed off lol. I'm just entertaining the thought of my fav actor playing my fav celeb in the whole wide world, is all. I'm not pissed off at the thought, and I'm black lol.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson said:
"It does not matter if you are black or white.":)
Mike said if you want to be his baby it doesn't matter if you're black or white. I'm not trying to get into any racial confrontations, but y'all need to get real.

Look i think JD playing MJ post vitiligo...ACTING as a black man with vitiligo of course. When u ACT, ur not urself, ur the CHARACTER...and if ur TALENTED enough, it can be believed. And JD has made me BELIEVE a lot of things and has played a many parts that i didn't think he could play cuz...geez he's 'johnny depp'. LOL Like WIlly Wonka. lol.

I don't think this should be taken so seriously suga, this isn't even in the works or even a real solid IDEA, nothing really to 'get real' about :lol:...Johnny just expressed it'll be interesting for him to play Michael. And I think it would as well. It's not even an 'on paper' thing. LOL It might never ever ever happen. (but honestly i hope it will).

Just based on JD's performance in Finding Neverland...I mean, wow. LOL I think he'd be excellent. As an ACTOR period...not as a WHITE ACTOR. :lol: I'm not even LOOKING at that.

Last edited:
I know there are plenty of black actors out there. lol I'm not saying JD is the ONLY person that could play him. I'm entertaining the thought of the POSSIBILITY of JD playing him (the point of this thread)...the IDEA of him playing him...and race aside, or even included i think JD, as an actor, would be great.

I'm not trying to get the black community pissed off lol. I'm just entertaining the thought of my fav actor playing my fav celeb in the whole wide world, is all. I'm not pissed off at the thought, and I'm black lol.
With all due respect, it would be a very contraversial move if a white person portrays MJ on the big screen. It would not go down very well within the black community, and the accusation that MJ doesn't want to be black would rear its ugly head just when we are getting the message through that MJ has vitaligo and has not bleached his skin to be white.

Last edited:
yes i'm not saying it wouldn't be controversial.

I guess i'm taking a really light hearted approach to this since i honestly don't think it'll happen. LOL I'm not really thinking about this as if it'll ACTUALLY happen anytime soon or anytime period LOL So here you have my FAVORITE actor EVER playing my FAVORITE musician/celeb EVER....for me it's just all GRAVY. lol Black, white, whatever. lol And if it actually happens, i still wouldn't mind. Even if a lot of blacks get mad...I, as a black person, wouldn't be mad personally. I know MJ is solid in his identity...and if JD portrays a BLACK person with vitiligo, which MJ IS...then i don't see a problem. That's what acting is ABOUT...playing someone that you're NOT. Portraying identities that you're NOT.
I guess i don't see everything as black and white myself. Yes i admit, probably not a good idea cuz it'll get people pissed, but I myself would not be pissed about it.

^^^
true. Also I think E Cas personally would be the best. But i think acting chops wise, JD would really do a good job.

With all due respect, it would be a very contraversial move if a white person portrays MJ on the big screen. It would not go down very well within the black community, and the accusation that MJ doesn't want to be black would rear its ugly head just when we are getting the message through that MJ has vitaligo and has not bleached his skin to be white.

I agree. I think Johnny Depp is a wonderful actor, but he just can't play MJ in my oppinion.

I was told this whole thing is a misunderstanding and the site has twisted Johnny's words. After all it's femalefirst! :rolleyes:

According to this, Johnny never said he'd actually like to play Michael in a movie:

Journalist: You use Keith Richards as a role model and maybe Michael Jackson in Willy Wonka I think -

Johnny Depp: I've heard that before but no. I wish I'd thought of that.

Journalist: I got the answer, so I think you sound like David Bowie a bit when you sing.

Johnny Depp: Yeah, a couple of people said that last night which was interesting because I wasn't, I certainly wasn't, I wouldn't ever dream of attempting to channel David Bowie because I think he's one of, he's a big hero of mine, so.. no. I mean if there's a similarity it wasn't intentional certainly not... yeah.. it's a nice compliment anyway.

Journalist: No Michael Jackson?

Johnny Depp: No Michael Jackson.

Journalist: In Willy Wonka?

Johnny Depp: Not yet but there's still time. He might get up to his old tricks again.

(Laughter)

Johnny Depp: TV movie about him soon.

And when he says "there's still time" and "he might get up to his old tricks" he's obviously talking about Willy Wonka perhaps coming back. And maybe Johnny could use Michael as a role model when he plays Willy Wonka.

Last edited:
i hope no one plays michael ever in a movie. i would hate to see someone else pretending to be him.

yeah..that's how i feel too. oh my god...as i'm writing this i hear wbss feat. akon on kiis fm los angeles...oh my god...i'm so excited i'm misspelling!!!1 oh my goddd :sarmoti:

And when he says "there's still time" and "he might get up to his old tricks" he's obviously talking about Willy Wonka perhaps coming back. And maybe Johnny could use Michael as a role model when he plays Willy Wonka.

UR right about this.

I can still dream though :p

all thoughts about johnny depp aside....if yall are afraid of controversy with anything involving mj in the future, u might as well hide under a rock forever, cus, no matter what mj does...including sneeze, the media and various communities may make it a controversial topic...even if it's unwarranted. some in the black community had a problem with 'black or white, but it still went to number 1.

there are envious people out there who want to make MJ's name synonomous with controversy no matter what...cus they're envious of his success...so....you can't let the thought of controversy stop u from moving forward. nothing great was ever invented or ever arrived without controversy. if there is no controversy, most likely, the subject is boring, and will die out and disappear before we even knew it existed.

And who would be dancing like MJ not JD he would look like a drunken pirate lol.

Depends on how the director films it. I liked the idea that the VH1 movie had of mixing real footage with reenacted parts...but of course VH1 movie was dumb, but it was a good concept.

all thoughts about johnny depp aside....if yall are afraid of controversy with anything involving mj in the future, u might as well hide under a rock forever, cus, no matter what mj does...including sneeze, the media and various communities may make it a controversial topic...even if it's unwarranted. some in the black community had a problem with 'black or white, but it still went to number 1.

there are envious people out there who want to make MJ's name synonomous with controversy no matter what...cus they're envious of his success...so....you can't let the thought of controversy stop u from moving forward. nothing great was ever invented or ever arrived without controversy. if there is no controversy, most likely, the subject is boring, and will die out and disappear before we even knew it existed.

I agree. And in general (not saying this is why MJ should agree for this JD thing).....mj should NEVER play it safe. Even now.

Last edited:
Back