Just Good Friends. What's wrong with it

I like this song a lot (as I with all the tracks on Bad). However, like others, I expected more from a collab of this magnitude. I so wish that MJ and Stevie had done a duet similar to the highly melodic, perfectly orchestrated cuts that Stevie crafted so well in the 70s. With those two very complementary voices, that would have been soul-stirring! Just to think about it gives me the shivers.

like what?

An instant-classic or a masterpiece.

I fell into that trap too. When I bought the album, I expected something magnificent, but it turned out just to be a funky, upbeat track. Once I gave it some time, it grew on me a great deal and now I love it.

I fell into that trap too. When I bought the album, I expected something magnificent, but it turned out just to be a funky, upbeat track. Once I gave it some time, it grew on me a great deal and now I love it.

People have said that most of the songs coming from the different combinations of Michael, Stevie, & Paul McCartney were disappointing. "Ebony & Ivory" & "The Girl Is Mine" got it the worst though. But I've always liked them.

hmm.. yea it's not a "Known" Mj song out there in the public eye, but I certainly would not like to think his fans forget about the song, I love it :)
and glad you love it too now but I guess it is a song that needs to grow on you especially for the non-fans..

but one off topic thing about in the closet,
a few MJ fans told me that is a song you need to grow into..
but I've had differant experiences.. friends, non MJ fans listening to it ONE time and BAM they LOVE it..
I don't know.. people can surprise :)

it's a good song for sure. and stevie's solo is outstanding.

but it does kinda stick out as an odd one out on the LP. all the other tracks are Mike's songs - and Man In the Mirror whilst not a Mike song just fits so well with the other material. Just good friends however is out of place in terms of the music and themes from the rest of Bad. It definately works better on the original LP as the closing song of Side A, whereas on CD it's skippable due to being in the middle.

So while I do like the song, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album

I love love love the song but it does get some hate within the fanbase! I've always been confused by that. I love MJ's vocals, Stevie is great, the beat is dated but still so so so fun. It's a catchy tune and it never gets old.

I was about 11 when Bad came out and I was a "super energetic, jumping around with too much energy" kid, so I loved all the up-tempo songs on Bad, also this one (and of course speed demon).
I still love JGF as it is one of the songs that makes Bad my favourite MJ album ever.

i LOVE JGF. Its sooo 80s - I close my eyes when I listen to it and I'm right back in 87 again.

great year 4 me!!

Like the posters above have stated, "Just Good Friends" is one of my favorites from "Bad". I listen to that song now and it takes me right back to the first day I had that 12" vinyl album in my hands back in '87. I love this song. In fact, it's one of my top 3 songs on the album. I can't get enough of it, honestly.

How could anyone not love this song????

Michael and Stevie's vocals are just amazing together
and the song is so adorable.

I really do not get how someone could dislike this song, this is genius at it's best.

I loveeeeeeeee that song...

The beat... The 'NANANANANA' 'woohoo' intro. The lyrics banter...

I guess people are just expecting more cause it's Stevie and Mike- two music genius? (shrug) :huh:

I love that song! :wub: (like all the all other Bad album ones :lol: ) ... like you said, it's really catchy and fun :D ...

I love it!! I wake up very early for work so I gotta be on the road at 5:30 am and I would always always rewind the NANANANANA part cuz it just wakes me up! hehe :punk:

This song puts me in such a happy mood!!!

U guys have no idea, and the best part is when they say "I guess the lady is just making up her mind"

this song is 2000 different types of awesome.

I love this song too. And even a good friend of me who isnt a Michael-fan just love this song :D Underestimated is my word to describe it

This song puts me in such a happy mood!!!

U guys have no idea, and the best part is when they say "I guess the lady is just making up her mind"

this song is 2000 different types of awesome.
Exactly it's such a happy song! I love it!

I love the intro, the ad-libs, everythingg!

I like this song!!!

Come on....MJ and Stevie Wonder, singing together, on one song! What's not to like??

It's a fun, catchy song.

the verses for me on this one are killer, i just love them. I love the chord progression and the way the bass goes with the chords. The chorus is a bit limited in terms of how far its gonna impress..... but i LOVE the song

I guees people expected a little more when these two musical masters recorded together.

I agree.
And to add my personal opinion, To me it sounds dated compared to the rest of the album (All the rest of the song's don't sound dated, at least to me) and a little on the corney/cheesy side (Sorry to say). When you listen to it today it sounds like it don't belong on the album it's different sounding than the rest of the album (It really does flow with the rest of the album). That's why I replaced it with streetwalker :)

Don't hate me LOL!:angel:

I love this song! There voices are just incredible together!
I dont know why people dont tend to like it, probably did just expect more from them together , but i think the song is so fun! Whenever i hear it gets stuck in my head! :D

I loooooooove that song. Michael and Stevie are wonderful together. They sang together the song in Bad Tour? I remember ever having seen a picture of the 2 together on stage, but do not know if there is video. Does anyone know if there is this video?

i don't know...who said they didn't like it? it's just another part of a Baaaaad album. no pun intended. if you have an album full of classics, people aren't going to mention every single song on it, all the time. lol

Back