Justin Timberlake Will Receive MTV's Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award

There must be a freedom of expression… Stage can take anything but it’s all good when it is about artistic expression.

Lady GaGa has an artistic talent and YES, she does her best. I may like or may not like the results of her work, but she’s working hard and I totally respect it.

As for Mylie… I doubt it was all her idea of such performance or image. Her team takes her “rebel age” and use it for attention without a second thought about the girl. I don’t want to be rude but I see no much difference in most nowadays female singers and Mylie is NOT worse than any other… She is the result of someone’s stupid management and careless.

According to the level of creativity\talent\extraordinary ideas I see in other young singers I doubt Mylie can’t be as “good” as let’s say, Katty Pary.

As for Justin… There really could be more “suitable” winner but I’m not that serious about any awards. So let it be.

HIStoric;3898815 said:
I do like his videos and I enjoyed Mirrors, but I do think Suit and Tie was pretty meh (though I did love the black and white style). Just out of curiosity, would you mind suggesting some other artists who should've won this award please (and their videos) ? :D

Like I said I agree with others Björk would be a deserving artist of this award. I don't like Lady Gaga at all (and when it comes to music I'd rather listen to Timberlake's if I have to choose between the two), but in terms of videos she's got more interesting ones than JT. Or they could give it to a director as well. In the past they gave it to Mark Romanek, for example. So how about David Fincher, for example? He directed many great and iconic videos for many artists. Of course, it would not be as great PR as giving it to JT...
But JT is totally average on that department, there's nothing memorable about his videos.

Last edited:
Or they could give it to a director as well.

That's a good idea actually, if they're going to present the Vanguard award to an artist, they should invite the directors up with the artist ! I know One Direction invited their director up when they won an award that night.

Either the directors or others who was very influential in how their video(s) turned out. Might be a bit crowded but they help a lot too for the videos :)

^^Directors have received the award actually, Richard Lester, he directed The Beatles. Wayne Isham, Mark Romanek are the ones I remember.

I'd like Floria Sigismondi to win it, she has directed people like David Bowie, Marilyn Manson, The Cure, my fave Christina Aguilera video, Fighter. Also Michel Gondry, he directed Björk, The White Stripes (that Lego video).

Crap, looking for videos Floria has directed, I found JTs Mirrors in the list. I have to watch it.

Last edited:
I forgot to add, Michel Gondry is also a movie director. I love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. So yeah, I'd be nice if Michel or Floria win it because they have directed interesting videos indeed.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3899099 said:
^^Directors have received the award actually, Richard Lester, he directed The Beatles. Wayne Isham, Mark Romanek are the ones I remember.

I'd like Floria Sigismondi to win it, she has directed people like David Bowie, Marilyn Manson, The Cure, my fave Christina Aguilera video, Fighter. Also Michel Gondry, he directed Björk, The White Stripes (that Lego video).

Crap, looking for videos Floria has directed, I found JTs Mirrors in the list. I have to watch it.

Oh interesting ! :D

Just watched Mirrors and it was so convencional, it bored me. I can't stand Katy Perry but Floria directed E.T. and The One Who Got Away and were more entertaing. She has directed better videos than JT's.

Well, the award is (or should be) about groubdbreaking videos and he has none, so I don't think he deserved this award. Justin himself told he didn't deserve it.

thats the same with the world music awards 2010. when michael jackson was the best selling artist of 2009 in the USA, UK,... and mostly around the world. but they gave the 4 awards that he should have won, to gaga. there he was cheated. only to give her attention, PR.

thats the same with the world music awards 2010. when michael jackson was the best selling artist of 2009 in the USA, UK,... and mostly around the world. but they gave the 4 awards that he should have won, to gaga. there he was cheated. only to give her attention, PR.

I took a look at the awards Michael was nominated for and my guess was that they were focusing on newer albums (even if MJ was nominated for "World's Best Album", his was the only album that was older than 2 years). Though I don't think he would have deserved to win "Best Single" , if he was nominated in the first place anyway. They only released 'This Is It' as a single in 2009 and out of the two, Poker Face was the better song. Personal opinion of course. The other awards though ? He definitely was the best selling artist, regardless of nationality, in 2009 so the fact he didn't win that is... remarkably odd.

It seems Michael's done quite well at the World Music Awards overall though, so at least theres that :D

G75KN6w.png

world music awards are about sales.
michael jackson was cheated in 2010. and thats a simple fact. they gave it to that b-star gaga (her career is nearly over). she does not deserve that award, when other artists sold much more. they ignored their own award system and gave them to her, only for attention/PR. In my statistic, that i have, the awards are counted on michael jackson.

Last edited:
world music awards are about sales.
michael jackson was cheated in 2010. and thats a simple fact. they gave it to that b-star gaga (her career is nearly over). she does not deserve that award, when other artists sold much more. they ignored their own award system and gave them to her, only for attention/PR. In my statistic, that i have, the awards are counted on michael jackson.

Don't be delusional. People have been saying her career is nearly over for half a decade now when it quite clearly isn't. Anyways, I'm not going to discuss this further because it is off topic and it clearly won't go anywhere.

I think it's odd they didn't at least give Michael Jackson the best selling artist award... he did sell 35,000,000 albums in the year after his death. Despite this, I know Lady Gaga did extremely well then too, hell Poker Face sold over 12,000,000 copies so I get why she won some of the awards. I don't think it was for PR/Attention though... mainly because I don't know why anyone would buy an album (which ultimately would be the purpose of PR) simply because someone won a 'World Music Award'. What got my attention is that the World Music Awards are run by the 'International Federation of the Phonographic Industry' and it's very possible they count album sales differently as to how, say, Billboard or other services do. That's just what I'm going to assume (and what is probably the case).

Personally, I couldn't really care who wins the 'World Music Awards' though - Be it MJ, Gaga, Rihanna or whoever. To me, they're just another random music award, I'm far more interested in the Grammys.

Last edited:
^ I think the Grammys have devalued themselves long time ago. I mean Beyonce has like 17 Grammys? Seriously? I have no problems with her, bit c'mon... (Just for comparation: MJ has 13 and Prince like 7...) And there are other current artists as well showered with Grammys while much more influential artists from the past have far less. The Grammys have become a joke and IMO it's all about who has better connections within the industry.

^ I think the Grammys have devalued themselves long time ago. I mean Beyonce has like 17 Grammys? Seriously? I have no problems with her, bit c'mon... (Just for comparation: MJ has 13 and Prince like 7...) And there are other current artists as well showered with Grammys while much more influential artists from the past have far less. The Grammys have become a joke and IMO it's all about who has better connections within the industry.

Mmmmm devalued a bit ? Sure but I don't think as much as you're describing. It has always appeared to have been about connections, or at least how you're publicly perceived to be honest. Beyonce is immensely talented, a great performer and while 17 is quite a lot, I don't really have a problem with her because she seems to have earned it (there's a reason why she's been so successful for over a decade now). Admittedly though, it really sucks MJ never got more than 13, he should've definitely won way more... I still find it really cool no one has beaten his 8-in-a-night record though :D

Last edited:
Mmmmm devalued a bit ? Sure but I don't think as much as you're describing. It has always appeared to have been about connections, or at least how you're publicly perceived to be honest. Beyonce is immensely talented, a great performer and while 17 is quite a lot, I don't really have a problem with her because she seems to have earned it (there's a reason why she's been so successful for over a decade now). Admittedly though, it really sucks MJ never got more than 13, he should've definitely won way more... I still find it really cool no one has beaten his 8-in-a-night record though :D

Beyonce's managed by her father who is a music executive and there are rumors that's the reason why she and Jay-Z got so many Grammys. But they are not the only ones. There are a lot of people who got tons of Grammys these days without much merit IMO. Or at least they are nowhere near to being as original and influential as other artists who only have a handful of Grammys throughout a whole career. Let's put aside Michael, but there you have Prince and others as well. Something is very wrong with that picture and IMO it very much devalues the Grammys.

I agree about the Grammys. I think one reason is that there isn't a lot of competition these days, so they shower one artist like Beyonce or Alicia Keys with a bunch of awards because that's the best they have (from the mainstreem acts anyway). However they do love to snub artists intentionally too. One of the best examples is Mariah Carey who until her Emanipations album in 2005 only had 2 Grammys for her debut album. She was arguably the biggest artist in the 90s but they kept snubbing her for ages. Now she has 6 Grammys in all and there's no way Beyonce or Alicia are better than Mariah. I think Madonna also has 6 Grammys and so does Whitney Houston.

Beyonce has a beautiful face and is a hard worker. That does not equal talent. In my own opinion the 17 Grammy awards she has received are a joke.

Beyonce's managed by her father who is a music executive and there are rumors that's the reason why she and Jay-Z got so many Grammys. But they are not the only ones. There are a lot of people who got tons of Grammys these days without much merit IMO. Or at least they are nowhere near to being as original and influential as other artists who only have a handful of Grammys throughout a whole career. Let's put aside Michael, but there you have Prince and others as well. Something is very wrong with that picture and IMO it very much devalues the Grammys.

Just for interest sakes, here's a list of the top grammy winners :)

I don't know much about the Beyonce/Jay-Z situation so I can't really comment on that (as you may've noticed, I don't really like to comment on things I don't know much about haha - blame it on MJ !! hehe). I think a lot of the people who get Grammys these days have merit. Looking at some of 2012/2013 winners: Adele, Paul McCartney, The Black Keys, Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Tony Bennett, Amy Winehouse, Foo Fighters. I feel all these artists have deserved Grammys in their own right. Are they all as innovative as some of the folk with less Grammys ? No, probably not (though to be fair, a number are influential in their own right).

HIStoric;3902079 said:
Just for interest sakes, here's a list of the top grammy winners :)

I don't know much about the Beyonce/Jay-Z situation so I can't really comment on that (as you may've noticed, I don't really like to comment on things I don't know much about haha - blame it on MJ !! hehe). I think a lot of the people who get Grammys these days have merit. Looking at some of 2012/2013 winners: Adele, Paul McCartney, The Black Keys, Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Tony Bennett, Amy Winehouse, Foo Fighters. I feel all these artists have deserved Grammys in their own right. Are they all as innovative as some of the folk with less Grammys ? No, probably not (though to be fair, a number are influential in their own right).

Do you really think Kanye West deserves 21 Grammys, Beyonce and Jay-Z 17 each? Compare that to how many Grammys some TRUE legends have... It gets even more ridiculous when you look at the number of their Grammy nominations:Jay-Z and Kanye West 51 each, Beyoncé 45. I think that proves right there that the Grammys do not mean as much as they are hyped for - and that was the point I was originally making. There's a lot of politics involved in who gets how many Grammys IMO. So who's to tell that awards which are based on sales are worth less than an award which is based on some limited panel's opinion who can be influenced and corrupted from the outside or from other people from the industry?

Last edited:
Do you really think Kanye West deserves 21 Grammys, Beyonce and Jay-Z 17 each? Compare that to how many Grammys some TRUE legends have... I think that proves right there that the Grammys do not mean as much as they are hyped for - and that was the point I was originally making. There's a lot of politics involved in who gets how many Grammys IMO. So who's to tell that awards which are based on sales are worth less than an award which is based on some limited panel's opinion who can be influenced and corrupted from the outside or from other people from the industry?

Maybe not 21, but a number of those Grammys ? Definitely. Kanye West is an amazing producer and a great rapper who has produced a number of great records over the past decade or so. I see what you mean now though, even if I don't necessarily agree with you :)

Maybe not 21, but a number of those Grammys ? Definitely. Kanye West is an amazing producer and a great rapper who has produced a number of great records over the past decade or so. I see what you mean now though, even if I don't necessarily agree with you :)

And I did not say Kanye West does not deserve any Grammys at all. But you said in your initial post that the Grammys are more important than the WMAs. Well, the WMAs are about sales and it's true that sometimes crap music sells, but it's also true that you can point out just as many flaws in the Grammys as well, which show in such things as the above mentioned ones. I think any award is worth just as much as the artists they award. If they start flooding mediocre artists with awards then that will inevitably devalue that award.

Last edited:
And I did not say Kanye West does not deserve any Grammys at all. But you said in your initial post that the Grammys are more important than the WMAs. Well, the WMAs are about sales and it's true that sometimes crap music sells, but it's also true that you can point out just as many flaws in the Grammys as well, which show in such things as the above mentioned ones. I think any award is worth just as much as the artists they award. If they start flooding mediocre artists with awards then that will inevitably devalue that award.

Ahhh okay, I get what you mean. You make some good points :)

Last edited:
Don't be delusional. People have been saying her career is nearly over for half a decade now when it quite clearly isn't. Anyways, I'm not going to discuss this further because it is off topic and it clearly won't go anywhere.

you are delusional.
she is only 5 years in that business. so thats not true.
but yes, definitively her career will be over further than you think. sales are going down since the start. so in a few years noone will talks about that b-star. cause the only thing she achieved was erotic shows. nothing else.

all the award shows are only a joke. noone can take that serious what happen there. not only the awards. especially that "performances". to me thats shamefull what so called "artists" showing there on the stage. :puke: and i dont want to watch that shit anymore. nothing legendary, nothing icon, nothing special anymore there. the same with music in general. and its always so ridiculous when everywhere on the net is said. oh the artists sold 90 millions copies. lol what a joke. when 90% of them are cheap downloads. not real copies. thats not an achievement. thats a joke!

like we said in 2009. music died on june 25, 2009.

Amazing music is still being produced today - you just have to find it.

But you shouldn't have to go looking for good music. You should be able to turn on the radio and here good music right away. It's sad that the music industry has become so bad that people need to look for good music themselves.

Grammy awards are much easier to win now than they were back in the day. The criteria to win one has clearly changed and I think popularity has more weight now, rather than quality and talent. In my opinion, winning a Grammy today doesn't mean as much as it used to since basically anybody with a hit song can get one. I think the value of the award has definitely gone down. There are many talented legends who have never even won one who deserve it way more than Beyoncé, Kanye, etc.
All of the music award shows have become a complete joke, in my opinion.

Yes, there is SOME good music still being made, but not a lot. And you're not going to find it on mainstream radio or the top 40 charts.

But you shouldn't have to go looking for good music. You should be able to turn on the radio and here good music right away. It's sad that the music industry has become so bad that people need to look for good music themselves.

Mmm yes and no. The thing is, the radio isnt the only source for finding new music now - we now have the Internet and it's a great resource for finding amazing music. Yes, you should be able to find great artists just by turning on the radio, and you still can depending on the station you play, but a little searching on the Internet can find you some amazing music as well. That's what I meant when by you have to search for it. I've found a number of artists who I really like through the Internet, for example... 3 artists of the top of my head are The Weeknd, Frank Ocean and Lorde (come to think of it, I actually have heard a few of these artists every so often when I have turned on the radio). I guess a lot of it is subjective however and can come down to personal taste.

Back