kanye west explain the Mj Scene in his runaway shortfilm

I only ask, can you do what Kanye West does? I doubt it, not to take anything away from you, but to call him a "lesser-star" as if he's some talentless prick is absurd, IMO. Kanye never compared himself to Michael, a tabloid started a rumor and majority of you ran with it, kind of hypocritical if you ask me. Will Kanye West go down as one of the best of the modern era? Yes, he will, whether you like it or not, and he deserves it, with that said, that doesn't mean he's the same caliber superstar as Michael Jackson. But put it like this, people like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Jay-Z, Eminem, Usher, and Kanye West, they are the superstars of today, they are now the people that the upcoming artists look up to for inspiration. It seems some of you can't come to grasp with that, Michael Jackson is timeless, but peoples taste aren't.

Vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli and Terence Trent D'arby were the superstars of their time for a while. They are a laughing stock now.

Could I do what he does? You mean shouting over a sample of an old song? Yes, I can do that.

I prefer to listen to the music of people who can genuinely do something that most people can't. Like when Michael sings, or when Slash plays the guitar... that's talent right there.

Auto-tuned drivel with some idiot shouting over a sample is something a monkey could do.

Kanye West won't be remembered in 20 years, I guarentee it.

Vanilla Ice created his own image on lies, even telling the media he was from the hood and had a scar on is butt from being stabbed.
In real life he was a normal kid from a normal family.

Milli Vanilli not only lipsynched their performances, they didn't even sing themselves on their own album.

Terence Trent D'arby is a whole different case because he was and is a really, really talented artist who got screwed by the music business and media, but didn't have the popularity like MJ to survive that.

Kanye West uses auto-tune, and you know what auto-tune stands for right?
Instant faillure, no need to argue.

I still don't know if the MJ reference was positive or not, even with Kanye's explanation (which I find rather vague). I do like the video though, I thought it was quite compelling to watch for the first time. Definitely the best music video of the past decade or so. I still wouldn't watch it again though, the music was mediocre apart from the "lights" song imo. I'm just not a fan of Kanye's music or hip-hop at all for that matter. I don't see why everyone's raving about Kanye West, I could write more meaningful lyrics than that if I put a little effort into it (and I'm sure most people here could), his acting was horrible, his 'singing'... LOL, his rapping is alright but the fact that he uses so much autotune ruins it for me. And the constant satanic references come across a bit attention-seeking to me, like he's desperate for some controversy.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a bitter old lady so to end this post on a positive note: I did enjoy the 34 minutes I watched it, the girl looked beautiful, the concept was original and I applaud Kanye for taking the effort to create a music video worth watching :)

Kanye may be very egotistic, but I am sorry, his music is on jam! I think he takes little pot shots at MJ sometimes, but I think overwhelmingly even before MJ died he showed he honored him and considered him as a pinnacle in the music industry. "Good Life" anyone?

I only ask, can you do what Kanye West does? I doubt it, not to take anything away from you, but to call him a "lesser-star" as if he's some talentless prick is absurd, IMO. Kanye never compared himself to Michael, a tabloid started a rumor and majority of you ran with it, kind of hypocritical if you ask me. Will Kanye West go down as one of the best of the modern era? Yes, he will, whether you like it or not, and he deserves it, with that said, that doesn't mean he's the same caliber superstar as Michael Jackson. But put it like this, people like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Jay-Z, Eminem, Usher, and Kanye West, they are the superstars of today, they are now the people that the upcoming artists look up to for inspiration. It seems some of you can't come to grasp with that, Michael Jackson is timeless, but peoples taste aren't.
Take my word for it Kanye West is considered nothing more but a seasonal ''hip/in'' act outside the States, definitely not as one of the best. People fail to see the whole scale here, Whatever popularity Kanye may or may not have in the US, isn't the same as he has got abroad. I think it's safe to say that people like Gaga, Beyonce, Eminem and Usher are considered bigger stars in mainland Europe than Mr. Kanye West.

twinklEE;3033501 said:
Take my word for it Kanye West is considered nothing more but a seasonal ''hip/in'' act outside the States, definitely not as one of the best. People fail to see the whole scale here, Whatever popularity Kanye may or may not have in the US, isn't the same as he has got abroad. I think it's safe to say that people like Gaga, Beyonce, Eminem and Usher are considered bigger stars in mainland Europe than Mr. Kanye West.

You're right about that (apart from Usher maybe). Kanye West did have a couple of hits over here and most people know who he is cause of the Taylor Swift incident but he is nowhere near as "big" here as Beyoncé, Britney, Eminem or Lady Gaga. But who knows, that might change after this video ;)

Vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli and Terence Trent D'arby were the superstars of their time for a while. They are a laughing stock now.

Could I do what he does? You mean shouting over a sample of an old song? Yes, I can do that.

I prefer to listen to the music of people who can genuinely do something that most people can't. Like when Michael sings, or when Slash plays the guitar... that's talent right there.

Auto-tuned drivel with some idiot shouting over a sample is something a monkey could do.

Kanye West won't be remembered in 20 years, I guarentee it.

Your hate for this man is preposterous, Kanye West came out with one album using auto-tune. You act as if all his songs are auto-tuned, his latest ones surely haven't been, can you develop a rhyme scheme putting together syllable after syllable, or multi after multi, or come up with that kind of wordplay? I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt you can, not anyone can just pick up a microphone and become a great rapper or talent at the drop of a dime. For you to believe so is ludicrous, when it comes to Hip-Hop/R&B/Pop acts Kanye West will be up there as the best of the modern era, I'd bet my bank account. I never said he'd be number one, but he'd be up there, if people know Jay-Z then it's easily plausible they know Kanye West as well.

Kanye's explanation of the Michael imagery was perfectly clear, yet people rather think it was something sinister and negative, because of one incident, one incident which obviously caused some of you to develop this perception of him being this big headed, ego-filled, asshole, despite ever meeting the guy. Some of you need to take a look in the mirror, evaluate what you're doing and realize how hypocritical you all sound. Michael recognized talent when he heard it, whether it was Chris Brown, who also used auto-tune in 90% of his songs during his early career before the whole incident he got himself into, Beyonce, or Lady Gaga. He didn't just hate like some of you do, I just find it ironic how some you claim to live for Michael, yet have so much animosity built up for this man.

But whatever, I digress, fact is, Kanye West is one of the better talents out right now, he's been so for the past 10 years, before he was just a rapper, he produced hit songs, he became a rapper and wrote and made his own hit songs, you can't deny this man's talent. And for some of you to sit here and do exactly that, is honestly comical.

Can someone please post a clip of this or tell me the exact time to watch it because I honestly do not have enough time to skip through the whole thing.

I tried to watch it but it's just too long.... It bored me halfway through.

It's cool that Kanye says that about MJ, he's supportive of him now. Too bad he wasn't in the past though...

He wasnt?
I've never seen him say anything bad about MJ in the past.
Just look in this video that came out before June 25'th.

MJ's in the video at 2:14 & 3:29...

I dont know if that means anything, but yet and still I've never seen Kanye hate on MJ, like Eminem did.

^

Heheh... I love that song.

Anyways, I know it might not seem like it but Kanye is probably one of the few hiphop stars I respect. He can be a douche but he has talent. And likewise, Kanye has shown support to Mike a couple of times. He's actually mentioned a lot in Kanye's lyrics. Some are nice and some are jabs (but in an okay way?) :p

I appreciate what he was doing but the plot really bored me. I couldn't sit still and watch the whole thing. Blame it on my generation's short attention span but seriously, it was just too long and it's not really exciting. Visually, it's nice to look at though. It just lacks the excitement that marks Mike's videos from start to finish.

LMAO @ MattyJam in this thread. Someone hand him a tissue...

Saying Kanye West won't be remembered in 20 years. You say it like hes done nothing in his career. College Dropout is down in Hip Hop history as a great. The shutter shades, you go ask anyone person who wears those shades, who will they say? Theyd be wrong with who invented them, but you know who they will say :) Don't care, Jesus Walks was groundbreaking for Hip Hop the past decade, deny it, and only Kanye could of pulled that song off so well.

Banging on like hes had his whole career in autotuned songs as well. People with your ignorance is what riles me up about people slating Hip Hop artists.

Kanye is one of the best artists of this generation. Its not exactly an AMAZING thing to claim like it would be of the 90s or 80s. But to put almost anybody else above him would be foolish. Denying his talent as a rapper, never mind as a producer is just stupid.

^I couldn't have said it better myself.
I'm with you all the way!
I cant believe why people is hating on him so much!
This man is so talented!
So what if he's said something wrong a couple of times, people do that, we can all make mistakes.

I agree...He's talented, he's creative...He's got something different to offer, and it seems he's passionate about his music...That's good enough for me. :D

Still not convinced.

I've been listening to REAL hiphop for over 25 years and I DID listen to all of KW's albums, but it still sounds like crap to me.

I don't like his flow and his "rhyming" using the same word at the end of a sentence.
His voice sounds boring and monotone like 50.
He has some beats that aren't too bad but nothing really special either or something that hasn't been done before.

It has nothing to do with hating, I'm just used to listen to way better hiphop than KW makes.

ohyeah, and he did use auto-tune, instant faillure hehehe.

the MJ part showed the sacrifice of MJ part and the people who weare the red hoods over their heads like the KKK explains the racism that he when through and the devil worshiping and how MJ is being worship in Satanic riturals trust me Kanye West will be the next one they came after because he is being to one spoken and going against what the industry is doing. I am only giving you all the real you don't have to believe what I am saying but you need to watch the video again to have a clear understanding what these messages are

He wasnt?
I've never seen him say anything bad about MJ in the past.
Just look in this video that came out before June 25'th.

MJ's in the video at 2:14 & 3:29...

I dont know if that means anything, but yet and still I've never seen Kanye hate on MJ, like Eminem did.

The part that i had put in bold was from a Kanye song, certainly not incredibly michael supportive. Nope, not even close to being as horrible as Em's video,,, but still very unnessecary.

The part that i had put in bold was from a Kanye song, certainly not incredibly michael supportive. Nope, not even close to being as horrible as Em's video,,, but still very unnessecary.

Really? Seriously, I dont see anything wrong in this video about Michael...?
I think the reason why you're saying that, is because you dont like him... Just another hater.

Kanye! :punk:

The greatest, biggest pop-cultural figure of all time, arguably bigger than Jesus Christ, is Michael Jackson...

I cant agree more....

As a Christian this parts bothers me. I probably should just keep quite and let this be because I really don't want this to turn into a discussion about religion, but I just have to say this. TO ME (yes, very important) there is a mayor difference between Jesus Christ and Michael Jackson, Jesus is God, Michael was a human being. Michael is the biggest pop-cultural figure of all time, without any doubt. But Jesus is God (again, according to me) and those two can't be compared the way Kanye is comparing them.
With L.O.V.E though so no one get mad at me. :)

Everybody has their own musical taste, don't forget. It's fine to like Michael's music and dislike Kanye's. But as a person, Kanye CLEARLY has major respect for Michael. Sampling his work, featuring pictures of Michael in videos, quotations... you really think Kanye would work with Michael on a remix if he didn't like him?

And of course times change. It is extremely narrow-minded to think that Michael will rule year after year. Todays musical audience is pro-Kanye, GaGa, Beiber and other artists of those genres. Someone HAS to sell the most each year, and they will be remembered as such. Now that Michael isn't here to release music and stay on top of the charts, someone else has to. It's not like there was Michael Jackson, and now there is nobody (well, in terms of sales it is, but artists still have to keep selling records).

Take Elvis for example. The King. Undoubtedly. But, after Elvis passed, music continued and there was another man on top - MJ. I'm not saying that there will be another Michael Jackson, because there won't be (like there won't be another Elvis), but music continues and someone will be recognised as the biggest of this - and future - generations.

Sorry to delve off topic, but it just seemed like this thread had turned into a Kanye hate thread with no real basis.

Agree wholeheartedly with Tom. But I just want to add that because of the imagery in the video it has verged into referencing religion. Obviously when it comes to religion it can be very easy to offend and upset people so if you do want to analyse it in a religious context just read over the post before you post. Basically word it in a way that doesn't cause offence.

Kanye? Ugh. Sometimes I really like his creativity and his lyrics "mayonnaise color benz, I push miracle whips..."

Other times like that song "shout out to the douchebags, and shout out to the a$$h_les." huh? Lame. I'll take classic Kanye any day.

@Tom

Dunno how anyone can be called the King when that person didnt even write his own songs...

You're talking about Elvis right? When it's someone as huge as he is, it doesn't matter whether he wrote his own songs.

Have you heard his voice? He could grip you and keep you listening until the very end, much like MJ. Elvis brought to music things nobody had ever heard before. I'm not a fan of him particularly but even I know what effect he had on music and modern culture. Yes, he didn't write his own songs but he delivered them perfectly. It's like saying a mailmain isn't the worlds best mailman because he didnt send his own mail to deliver. It's like saying a plumber isn't the best plumber because he didn't hand make his own equipment...

You're talking about Elvis right? When it's someone as huge as he is, it doesn't matter whether he wrote his own songs.

Have you heard his voice? He could grip you and keep you listening until the very end, much like MJ. Elvis brought to music things nobody had ever heard before. I'm not a fan of him particularly but even I know what effect he had on music and modern culture. Yes, he didn't write his own songs but he delivered them perfectly. It's like saying a mailmain isn't the worlds best mailman because he didnt send his own mail to deliver. It's like saying a plumber isn't the best plumber because he didn't hand make his own equipment...

To be called "The King" when you didnt write your own songs is wrong imo. To be called "The King", you are getting put at the top of the game. For me, if I was to give someone the title of "The King", Id have them writing there own songs. Elvis is over rated. Most artists these days don't write there own shit but can sing so well. I prefer artists that write there own songs. Maybe Im weird for that?

lol

At least Elvis didn't use auto-tune! :tease:

As a Christian this parts bothers me. I probably should just keep quite and let this be because I really don't want this to turn into a discussion about religion, but I just have to say this. TO ME (yes, very important) there is a mayor difference between Jesus Christ and Michael Jackson, Jesus is God, Michael was a human being. Michael is the biggest pop-cultural figure of all time, without any doubt. But Jesus is God (again, according to me) and those two can't be compared the way Kanye is comparing them.
With L.O.V.E though so no one get mad at me. :)

I think he meant in the sense that in terms of fame & just being well known. I do imagine that there are some places in the world that are not as familiar with Jesus Christ or Christianity. Especially considering that the number of followers are still small compared with quite a few other religions that have existed for way longer. Otoh, a lot of people across religions and cultures are familiar with Michael Jackson, whatever that element of him that may be. In that sense I can understand what he is talking about.

At least Elvis didn't use auto-tune! :tease:

lol
Maybe Sony or who ever has the right to Elvis music, so start adding autotune to his old "music", that way we could all enjoy his "music".

Seriously, I dont see the point of whats wrong with autotune, I mean...
I really like that effect, T-Pain / Kanye. Whatever.
Im sure Kanye could make the 808's & Heartbreak album without autotune, but it wouldn't have the same effect on me.

(808's & Heartbreak)
"The album debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, selling 450,145 copies in its first week, and it produced four singles that attained Billboard chart success."

For me, 808's is the best album for Kanye.

& for the haters, im sure 50' is doing fine for you. lol

Back