Lady Gaga's new song Born This Way, *Update Post 164*

Re: Lady Gaga's new song Born This Way, hear it here first

Apparently Madonna heard the song a few hours ago, here are some of her thoughts...

madonna_gagaSPL_450x300.jpg

Last edited:

^^ :lol::lol:

Gaga can actually sing whereas I don't think Madonna has a good singing voice. This song sounds nothing like 'Express Yourself', but I think it's just awful.. I actually liked some of GaGa's past work but this is not cutting it at all

Dropping by to say this song sucks, just like this overrated woman and most of her stuff.

The song is ok, but it's not her best work.

Madonna will never get the recognition for her talent until she's gone, but I think even most anti-Madonna folks would agree that M is the more talented one with far superior music.

I think you are wrong with that. Where i live Madonna is more popular than Jesus himself. She is not underrated at all. Everyone are talking about her talent and her influence in music and fashion.I am not a particular fan of hers, i like some of her songs but to say that her talent will be recognized after she is gone is a bit exagerated. I mean how much recognition can she get that she has not already gotten. She is up there with the immortals and she has buit a strong legacy that will last forever.Proof of that is the fact that he keeps influencing the younger generations of artists. Madonna's legacy is safe and sound.I wouldn't say the same about someone else's but that's another topic.

I thought this new song wouldn't be as good as her others, and it isn't not really a fan of hers but I gotta give it to her shes had some good songs, but this is not one of them, maybe its the way it was hyped thats made people disappointed, well anyway maybe her next single won't suck like this one

I like Gaga and I like the song. Is it very reminiscent of Express Yourself? Yep. Is it as good as Madonna's classic song? Nope. However, I try not to take it all so seriously. Lady Gaga can never come close to the legend that Madonna is. Madonna will never get the recognition for her talent until she's gone, but I think even most anti-Madonna folks would agree that M is the more talented one with far superior music. There'es really no comparison between the two other than Gaga tries to be the new Madonna. Sorry, but NO ONE will ever replace Madonna. She did it first and did it better.

I actually disagree with that. I'm neither anti-Madonna nor anti-Gaga but I don't think one is much superior to the other. Personally, I prefer Gaga's voice and music. Madonna on the other hand is a better songwriter and I find her more attractive. Gaga is better at playing instruments, esp. piano (see acoustic videos on YT). They both have good and bad qualities. Madonna will probably get the edge for most people because she came first, but then again there were others before her that inspired her as well. I do think Gaga will forever be compared to Madonna. But who knows, maybe these comparisons will eventually lead to Gaga taking an entirely different road and going back to her roots (i.e. jazzy ballads behind the piano). That would be the only way for her to establish herself as an individual legend rather than a Madonna 2.0 imo.

It's not great but it's not bad. I think it's a step up from most of the mainstream crap we're getting today

I actually really like the song, more than some of her other songs. But I guess I'm in the minority and have poor music taste? :doh: but I don't think so. Other wise I wouldn't be on a MJ forum.

I actually disagree with that. I'm neither anti-Madonna nor anti-Gaga but I don't think one is much superior to the other. Personally, I prefer Gaga's voice and music. Madonna on the other hand is a better songwriter and I find her more attractive. Gaga is better at playing instruments, esp. piano (see acoustic videos on YT). They both have good and bad qualities. Madonna will probably get the edge for most people because she came first, but then again there were others before her that inspired her as well. I do think Gaga will forever be compared to Madonna. But who knows, maybe these comparisons will eventually lead to Gaga taking an entirely different road and going back to her roots (i.e. jazzy ballads behind the piano). That would be the only way for her to establish herself as an individual legend rather than a Madonna 2.0 imo.

I agree will most of that except the bold bit, I'm not a Madonna fan, nor a Gaga fan, but I enjoy both of their music, not all of their music though. I think Madonna will get the edge for most people because she is more of an iconic person, and Gaga has copied a lot of her image from her. I for one don't think Gaga is going to be the huge star she is now in 10-20 years.

I agree will most of that except the bold bit, I'm not a Madonna fan, nor a Gaga fan, but I enjoy both of their music, not all of their music though. I think Madonna will get the edge for most people because she is more of an iconic person, and Gaga has copied a lot of her image from her. I for one don't think Gaga is going to be the huge star she is now in 10-20 years.

Yes, but Madonna achieved this iconic status because she has been around for 20+ years. Gaga only just got started, nobody knows how her career will develop. I remember when Britney had her first hit, a lot of people were downplaying her and saying her fame won't last. Yet 10 years later, she's as successful as ever. The same could happen to Gaga, and I wouldn't be surprised about it cause she's already breaking records. On the other hand, her recent behaviour has also caused a bit of a backlash against her, a lot of people dislike her already which is not a good sign so early in her career. Anyway, Gaga is indeed accused of copying Madonna's image, whether rightly or not, but it's not like Madonna "invented" this image. Madonna was clearly inspired by people before her like Marilyn Monroe and openly admits to this, and Gaga also acknowledges her influences. I'm not a fan of Gaga or anything, I don't even own any of her albums, but I don't understand why people keep criticizing her for being "unoriginal". Music is art, and in art it is perfectly acceptable to be inspired by your peers or predecessors and use their influences in your work as long as you give them credit, which is what both Gaga and Madonna have done. So what if Gaga uses the same style as Madonna? If she likes that kind of music and apparently a lot of her fans do, what's the problem? :unsure:

If Gaga's still around in 10 years, then we can think about whether she is the next QOP, so to speak. For now, MJ and Madonna are still the reigning pop royalty.

I can be fairly sure because of the trends of the music industry. Three years ago nobody had heard of Lady Gaga, exactly, look at her now. She's done nothing but excel in popularity since she surfaced.

You're right in saying that her past album sales aren't that impressive, but bear in mind that she has only released (i believe) 2 albums. She only achieved massive popularity AFTER her album was already out, so the release of a new one now, after all the videos, internet fame, controversy and awards is nothing but a good thing for her.

And unfortunately, her antics are what I expect to be cold, calculated ways of increasing her prescence in todays society. Going out in a meat-dress gets people talking. Her mysteriousness and everything get's people wondering what she's going to do next, they're hungry to find out. Hey, Taylor Swifts new album shifted a MILLION copies in one week, and that was months after the whole Kanye West incident.

She's one of the biggest enigmas in recent times and a pioneer of an ever growing, dance-centric age in music. I'm not even a fan of Lady Gaga but I can't deny her (in my eyes negative) impact on music. I could be totally wrong but I'm eager to see how well this album sells.

Good points all across, however, Germanotta's no engima. She's only considered to be one by people who are stupid. There's a homeless lady in town who also likes to wear crazy outfits, yet no one finds her "enigmatic" because she's not famous. My point is, an enigma is something truly mysterious, something elusive, something incomprehensible. There are many great people in this world who would adequately fit such a description, and Stefani Germanotta is not one of them, no matter how much she or her fans may desire it to be so. My bowl of alphabet soup is more enigmatic than she is.

As far as being a "pioneer"--well, no. More like an importer. The Europeans and the Japanese have been doing the dance-centric music thing for ages now. Germanotta basically just popularized it in the States, and the only reason why it sounds new is because the mainstream music in the U.S. has been, in recent times, more focused on hip hop/rap. Of course, anything else would sound different.

Given the amount of impressionable people with pedestrian tastes in the world, and the events which have occurred after this song's release, I would say that your estimate of this being one of the best-selling albums in the decade is (sadly) very much within the realm of possibility.

However, enough about Germanotta, and on to the song, which is what some people want to hear about. Well, it really is loathsome, like I said in my first post on this thread. The style of music and the lyrics are completely incompatible--so that one is very much lost to the other. It would have been better suited as a ballad, so that the impact of the message would not be drowned in electronic beats. Although not exceptional by any means, Germanotta does have a nice voice, which can be heard best when she sings ballads. That's the avenue she should have taken, but I have a feeling that it was made into some sort of club-type song because that's what really sells in her department. It will fail, in the long run. Right now, it has a "honeymoon" period of novelty, which every song, even mediocre ones, receive [in varying degrees.] It won't be long until it gets skipped over most iPod playlists, simply because the lyric/style combination is so utterly unflattering.

Lady Gaga releases her new single today, Born This Way. It is kind of a put up or shut up moment for the biggest pop star on the planet. Since her debut in 2008, Gaga has stormed the world in a way many never thought they’d see again, combining the bravado, controversy and global reach of Madonna with the creative adventure of David Bowie, the pop nous of ABBA and the musical flair of Elton John (a pretty potent combination, to say the least). She came straight out of the traps as a kind of ultimate pop star.

But following her blockbuster album The Fame (and its extended version The Fame Monster) was never going to be easy. She has thrived on cartoonish controversy but shock tactics suffer from diminishing returns, you have to keep upping the ante before the shock wears off. In just a couple of years, she has managed to pretty much cover the ground in terms of sex and violence taboos, while modelling a range of outrageous looks that culminated in a hard to beat dress made of meat. The most shocking thing now would be to see her in a neat shirt and skirt combo. Musically, the pop public is instinctively neophyte, our ears become attuned to sounds and styles, so that the new becomes old very quickly. Paradoxically, we like familiarity. Too much reinvention confuses the brand. In her sophomore moment, this is Gaga’s almost impossible position, where she has to show not only that she has the pop nous to keep crafting major commercial hits, but that she can change in exciting ways, bringing the best of what she has so quickly established into new terrain.

Somehow, she’s got to change and stay the same. Very few people have pulled it off on a global mass pop fame level before. Certainly The Beatles and The Stones in their hey day. Prince and Madonna in the Eighties (not Michael Jackson, really, who never quite matched his Thriller breakthrough). Bruce Springsteen and U2 on the stadium rock front. Eminem in hip hop.
So what do we get? Well, Born This Way is a pop monster, which is good, an uplifting disco smash with a driving beat and a gospelly chorus. The lyrics are about equality and acceptance, both racially and (particularly) sexually, with a refrain of “I’m beautiful in my way / Cause God makes no mistakes.” Sir Elton John has hailed it as the “gayest song” he has ever heard, and compared it to a 21st I Will Survive, although I think he might have been getting a bit carried away by the “don’t be a drag, just be a queen” bridge. Sonically, it embeds its rhythm track with a very modern engine of small, disjointed, noisy sample bites, but it lacks the melodic richness and lyrical pathos of I Will Survive and as for being the gayest anthem ever, I wouldn’t fancy GaGa’s chances in a three way dance off at Heaven against The Village People’s YMCA and ABBA’s Dancing Queen.

The problem with the song is not just that its hard to escape the feeling we’ve heard it before (which is true of most pop music) but that its too easy to pin point exactly where we’ve heard it before. Basically it is a reworking of Madonna’s Express Yourself with a touch of Madonna’s Vogue. Which is a bit too much Madonna for someone who is trying to establish her own identity as the, er, new Madonna.

On the plus side, Gaga sings it unadorned, without autotune, and she can really sing (which, perhaps, is where she has the edge on Madonna). In fact, the best thing about this track is that it seems to show her for who she really is: unadorned, uncostumed, not hiding behind gimmicks or trying to administer shocks, just belting out a meaty pop dance song with the enthusiastic abandon of a disco-dancing diva. In that sense, it does feel like she is moving on, by relying on her innate musical talent rather than veils of imagery and sonic wizadry. She has shown us all her shiny surfaces. Maybe now we are about to get a glimpse of Gaga’s inner depths.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/cultur...y-gaga-is-born-this-way-the-gayest-song-ever/

:girl_whistle:

AndreyZidane™;3242177 said:
Apparently Madonna heard the song a few hours ago, here are some of her thoughts...

madonna_gagaSPL_450x300.jpg

:rofl:

Travis;3242082 said:
I like Gaga and I like the song. Is it very reminiscent of Express Yourself? Yep. Is it as good as Madonna's classic song? Nope. However, I try not to take it all so seriously. Lady Gaga can never come close to the legend that Madonna is. Madonna will never get the recognition for her talent until she's gone, but I think even most anti-Madonna folks would agree that M is the more talented one with far superior music. There'es really no comparison between the two other than Gaga tries to be the new Madonna. Sorry, but NO ONE will ever replace Madonna. She did it first and did it better.

Fact!

The song is already #1 and I wonder if she cares whether people like it or not. I think she is going to get tired of people comparing her to Madonna. The above quote from the telegraph, why do people think Michael didn't grow or change after Thriller? He did.

The song is already #1 and I wonder if she cares whether people like it or not. I think she is going to get tired of people comparing her to Madonna. The above quote from the telegraph, why do people think Michael didn't grow or change after Thriller? He did.

Yeah, I get so tired of people considering everything Michael did after Thriller a failure just because it didn't sell as much. Bad and Dangerous still sold 30+ million worldwide, which is more than what the Beatles, Stones, Prince, Madonna or Eminem have sold per album :smilerolleyes: And if you ask me, there is a big difference between Thriller and Bad, or Bad/Dangerous, or Dangerous/HIStory etc. When I hear an unreleased MJ song for the first time, I can usually tell exactly from which era it is just from the sound of it. I mean, compare HIStory to Off The Wall, they're two completely different styles. It's also funny how back in the day The Jacksons were considered disco, and when OTW came out it was considered soul, and then when Thriller came out it was labled "pop" and since then any song Michael ever recorded in his career was all of the sudden lumped together as "pop". I'm amazed by how many people believe all Michael ever did was pop music when in fact, he is one of the most versatile artists in history. He covered pretty much every genre there is apart from dance/hardcore (thank God he knew his limitations lol). Why does Elvis get praise for being versatile cause he sang "rock & roll" and gospel, when Michael did anything from disco (DSTYGE) to rock (Dirty Diana) to gospel (Will You Be There) to pop (Billie Jean) to R&B (cf. Invincible album), as well as including rap verses in many of his later songs?

This was just another sly dig at Michael Jackson, as usual -_-

Yeah, I get so tired of people considering everything Michael did after Thriller a failure just because it didn't sell as much. Bad and Dangerous still sold 30+ million worldwide, which is more than what the Beatles, Stones, Prince, Madonna or Eminem have sold per album :smilerolleyes: And if you ask me, there is a big difference between Thriller and Bad, or Bad/Dangerous, or Dangerous/HIStory etc. When I hear an unreleased MJ song for the first time, I can usually tell exactly from which era it is just from the sound of it. I mean, compare HIStory to Off The Wall, they're two completely different styles. It's also funny how back in the day The Jacksons were considered disco, and when OTW came out it was considered soul, and then when Thriller came out it was labled "pop" and since then any song Michael ever recorded in his career was all of the sudden lumped together as "pop". I'm amazed by how many people believe all Michael ever did was pop music when in fact, he is one of the most versatile artists in history. He covered pretty much every genre there is apart from dance/hardcore (thank God he knew his limitations lol). Why does Elvis get praise for being versatile cause he sang "rock & roll" and gospel, when Michael did anything from disco (DSTYGE) to rock (Dirty Diana) to gospel (Will You Be There) to pop (Billie Jean) to R&B (cf. Invincible album), as well as including rap verses in many of his later songs?

This was just another sly dig at Michael Jackson, as usual -_-

The guy who wrote that piece isn't fan of Mike's so ,yeah. He even said that "Michael" is the best MJ ablum since the 80' and in his review about the "Vision" , well he didn't limited in the review of the dvd but he also "reviewed" MJ's transformations due to plastic sugeries and the "baby dangling" incident, if i am not mistaken. The guy is simply one of the many out there who don't dig MJ and who have not a clue about his post Thriller work. Now, how come he get to criticize his work without knowing its existence is beyond me but meh, he is not the first. It's just sad that there are few people out there who are willing to review MJ's work objectively.

Nothing was ever going to sell like Thriller. It was a monumental thing. But Michael had a lot of success to come and he changed styles and was willing to try new things. Some people would stick to the same thing and it would get tiring after awhile. With Michael there are different eras and you can tell which song is in what era etc and I think that is great. His numbers speak for themselves. I just get irritated by those little comments by people like that.

Nothing was ever going to sell like Thriller. It was a monumental thing. But Michael had a lot of success to come and he changed styles and was willing to try new things. Some people would stick to the same thing and it would get tiring after awhile. With Michael there are different eras and you can tell which song is in what era etc and I think that is great. His numbers speak for themselves. I just get irritated by those little comments by people like that.

I know, the incredible bias from journalists when writing about Michael is so obvious, I wonder if non-fans also realize this when reading those articles? Or if it's just something we as fans notice because we know it's complete BS?

It's just so annoying because it seems like there are hardly any journalists in the mainstream media who are willing to report about MJ objectively :(

I know, the incredible bias from journalists when writing about Michael is so obvious, I wonder if non-fans also realize this when reading those articles? Or if it's just something we as fans notice because we know it's complete BS?

It's just so annoying because it seems like there are hardly any journalists in the mainstream media who are willing to report about MJ objectively :(

I don't know why it's like that. I am kind of envious of Gaga fans. They get to enjoy the excitement and thrill of waiting for a new song. I wish we had that too. I only heard Hold My Hand on the radio once. I wish Michael's songs would be on the radio more. I am still waiting to see if a 2nd single will get released where I live.

I know it's silly to feel that way because we were lucky to get what we did. I just miss Michael. :(

I don't know why it's like that. I am kind of envious of Gaga fans. They get to enjoy the excitement and thrill of waiting for a new song. I wish we had that too. I only heard Hold My Hand on the radio once. I wish Michael's songs would be on the radio more. I am still waiting to see if a 2nd single will get released where I live.

I know it's silly to feel that way because we were lucky to get what we did. I just miss Michael. :(

I miss him too

I miss him too

We all miss him... I wish he could be there today for his son's birthday :(

On topic (well, sort of): Am I the only one who wonders what Lady Gaga dresses like on Halloween? Wouldn't it be funny if she just wore jeans and a t-shirt for once? :lol:

disappointing just overhyped sadly ...i though it was a ballad song....its ok when sang it in the AMA.....well she's very lucky cause she's famous now & have many fanbase ( no. 1 in itunes, trending in twiter & had a 2 mill views in utube already) , she should be more humble though.

If Gaga's still around in 10 years, then we can think about whether she is the next QOP, so to speak. For now, MJ and Madonna are still the reigning pop royalty.

No offense, but statements like this irk me. NO ONE WILL EVER REPLACE MICHAEL JACKSON OR MADONNA. They are both irreplaceable. They are forever ingrained in pop culture and their contributions to it will never be matched. NEVER. What many don't understand is, it doesn't matter who comes along and breaks their records. It doesn't matter if they outsell them (fat chance) or win a bazillion awards... Michael Jackson and Madonna are personify what it is to be a pop star. They are larger than life and showed the world what it is to be a pop star and then surpassed it to become megastars. They became bigger than music or image. MJ and Madonna are the last of the true legends. Who can you name that came after their era who is a legit legendary star of their caliber? Beyonce? Britney? Yeah right! Those days are long gone. Fame ain't what it used to be. MJ and Madonna had to work very hard to become what they are. Fame today doesn't even really require talent. Nowadays most are famous for being famous. Reality stars rule the world. It's really sad when you think about it. Listen to me... I sound ancient and I haven't even turned 30. HAHA!

P.S. I've read some of the comments about Madonna getting lots of respect for her talent, but I honestly don't believe that for a second. Why? Because I've been a fan since I was a child and have watched television and browsed the internet long enough to know better. No, she never came close to MJ's woes (though the backlash in the mid 90's was rather harsh) and the media has become nicer over the years, BUT, Madonna's talent and legacy won't truly be recognized until she has left this earth. So yes, the media has softened up but Madonna can't adopt children, make a speech in honor of MJ, or do anything remotely nice without having her motives questioned.

Look at this place for instance. Often times when Madonna gets mentioned, the insults fly in. They range from her being a bad singer to a talentless whore. I will never forget how many members here raked her over the coals for her MJ speech. Her intentions and words were completely taken out of context. I'm not saying it's a constant thing or that everyone is guilty of this, but it is a definite reality. Her talent and place in history often gets downplayed. I don't know how many times I've had to defend Madonna against eager Janet fans. Yikes! It got pretty brutal at times. I've even had my fandom for MJ questioned because I'm a Madonna fan too (as if it's some sort of crime). None of that is happening in this thread but I think that has to do with the fact that she's the lesser of two evils (Gaga).

Last edited:

I hate the disses Madonna gets too. Before I was a fan I thought her music is crap and talentless too but guess what? That was before I listened to it! (Yeah I should have known better) and then when I listened to it - WOW, I see why she is QUEEN and Lady Gaga will never replace her. Even if she humbles herself or makes better music. Why? Because Madonna is sincere in everything she sings and does. She has a purpose and it feels right.

The real question is not whether or not she's original or is she simply copying Madonna's stuff or whatever... the real question is what drug she ends up addicted to after her supposedly illustrious and legendary career collapses and she gets pwned into freaking oblivion by other non-talented pop stars that are to come in the future...

Let's face it people, real music keeps dying, the world isn't the same without Elvis, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Freddie Mercury, Michael Jackson, hell... even Kurt Kobain... (to name a few).

Last edited:

On topic (well, sort of): Am I the only one who wonders what Lady Gaga dresses like on Halloween? Wouldn't it be funny if she just wore jeans and a t-shirt for once? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back