LaToya says 'Michael was too good for this world'

Moulin Rouge

Proud Member
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/new...-good-for-this-world-says-sister-La-Toya.html

Michael's sister and his closest confidante, La Toya Jackson, reveals the man behind the legend - and how his loved ones are coping a year after his death

By Louise Gannon, 20/06/2010

IN a hotel suite in Las Vegas, La Toya Jackson is talking about her brother Michael.
"He's still here," she insists. "He's still with me and he's just waiting to let the world know. I have to believe he's here because that's what keeps me safe. I have to believe he's still here for the sake of his little children."

It sounds a bizarre thing to say, but then it's a mark of the very special bond between La Toya and her brother. Born just two years apart, the pair were inseparable as children. "My mother used to say how we looked identical," she laughs.

"Michael and I loved that. We loved to play together, to dance together. Michael would put on a Fred Astaire movie and we'd watch it and then he'd say to me: 'La Toya, you do the dance, then I'll do it.' I'd do the first few steps and then stop because I'd need to see it again to copy the rest. Michael would just start dancing - every step was exactly right.

"Even as a child I knew Michael was different, special. Everyone knows we had a strict upbringing, and that my brothers [Jackie, 59, Tito, 56, Jermaine, 55, Marlon, 53, and Randy, 48] were singing and dancing as children. But as a six year old it was Michael who would work out the moves. He'd be telling his older brothers where to stand, how to move - he'd even work out what they should all wear."

In 1977, La Toya accompanied 19-year-old Michael to New York when he was filming The Wizard Of Oz movie The Wiz, in which he starred as the Scarecrow.

"It was our big adventure together. We were these kids in New York who had never had any freedom. We were so close," she remembers.

"He'd work and then we'd go out shopping. We'd buy clothes, lots of men's suits and hats then we'd come back, put on a Kenny Rogers album and dress up. Michael loved us to wear identical clothes and we'd stand in front of the mirror and laugh.

"People don't realise that Michael had this amazing sense of humour. He'd love me to go out with him and see his fans. He loved to play cat and mouse with them. This was in the days before mobile phones but, wherever Michael was, fans would turn out in their hundreds. He loved them. He loved them chasing him about town. For him it was fun.

"He never went off the rails. Michael was always very spiritual. He had this inner goodness and trust, which was what made him so beautiful, but also made him so vulnerable to people who wanted to take advantage."

Later, however, La Toya's own relationship with Michael took a dramatic twist. After their strict Jehovah's Witness upbringing, in 1989 she stunned the family by stripping off for Playboy aged 32 and marrying her manager, Jack Gordon.

When Michael was first accused of child abuse in 1993, La Toya appeared at a press conference and denounced her brother. The singer later claimed she was in fear of her own life during her abusive marriage in which her husband locked her in rooms, beat her and threatened to kill Michael. It took four more years before she escaped and returned to her family.

"The most amazing thing about Michael was that he never held any of that against me," she says. "I remember when I'd got away from this total hell I'd been through where I'd been beaten, abused, controlled and forced to say those terrible things about Michael, which I didn't for a moment believe, he held out his arms and just hugged me. I was crying saying: 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry.' He just held me tight and said: 'I am your brother, I always knew it wasn't you saying those words.' I told him I loved him and he looked me in the eyes and said: 'I will always love you more.'"

La Toya says her greatest regret about Michael is that he never learnt how to mix with real people.

"Michael was never really into going out on dates," she says. "He always told me that he'd never marry until he was in his 40s because he had so much he wanted to achieve. The loves of his life were always his music, his family and his children."

Although, Michael married Lisa Marie Presley in 1994 aged 35 and Debbie Rowe in 1996 aged 38, La Toya says he never really fell in love.

"The hardest thing about being a Jackson is this feeling of being isolated from normality. I fought very hard against that. The reason I wanted to do Celebrity Big Brother last year is that I wanted to mix with people who I'd never normally meet.

"Michael was fascinated when I went into the Big Brother house. We even talked about him coming on the show as a huge surprise. He loved the idea but he was also terrified because being as famous as Michael makes you very scared. He never had a single day of his life that he remembered not being famous."

Despite their problems, La Toya remained the woman closest to Michael - his beloved older sister. She was at the hospital on the day that he died, she signed the death certificate and right now she is committed to an ongoing case of involuntary manslaughter against his doctor, Dr Conrad Murray.

"There are lawyers, investigators, a lot of people working on this. It's taking a long time but it's still going on. I honestly believe that Michael died because the people around him were evil.
"He was being controlled, mentally controlled, and the people who surrounded him in the last year tried to keep his family away so we couldn't get to him," she says.

"There is so much about his death that doesn't make sense. I get so angry when I think about his final hours. My brother was surrounded by very bad people before he died. It breaks my heart because I was in that situation in my life and Michael was the one who helped me through it.

"Even now a lot of people around me say to end this fight but I won't. I'll carry on, no matter what it takes. I'm doing it for Michael."

"So many times I look up at the sky and I expect him to appear. To do something amazing and miraculous to show us he is here."

La Toya admits she still can't bear to look at photographs of her brother or listen to many of his songs.

"It's too painful. There are some days I don't even like to look at my own face in the mirror because I look so much like him."

The resemblance between the two siblings is uncanny - although La Toya denies she has ever had plastic surgery herself, merely hinting: "I think it's up to each individual and if you're not happy with something, knowing you can probably alter it a little, that's OK."

She also worries about his three children - Prince Michael (known as Prince), 13, Paris, 12, and eight-year-old Prince Michael II (known as Blanket) - who are being looked after by Michael's mother Katherine, 80, now their legal guardian.

"In those days after Michael died they were so vulnerable, like little flowers standing alone in a field," she says. "There were so many moments when I felt like I was going to fall apart, but I'd look at the children and it would make me strong.

"They are a tribute to their daddy. I always smile when I remember him with his kids. I'd go up to the house and there would be classical music playing. Michael didn't listen to pop. In his house you would hear a Mozart symphony, not Thriller.

"He was very much aware he had to be a mother and a father to his children and he was very sensitive. As a father he was incredible. He'd play with his kids but he was also very strict. They didn't watch television and there was no internet access in his house because he always said he didn't want them to be diseased by the world we live in.

"As a brother he was incredibly sensitive. Whenever I was feeling down he'd send me fashion magazines, or turn up and just sit with me and talk or watch The Three Stooges together. One time he rang me up and said: 'You love Frank Sinatra, don't you?' An hour later he arrived with a huge photograph of Frank he'd had him sign for me," she remembers.

"Michael went through so much. In many ways he was too good for this world. He was like a child in an adult's body and his children were everything.

"What is amazing is how well the children seem to be now. My mother is doing an amazing job. There is a lot of laughter in the house and so many pictures of Michael everywhere.

"I feel sorry for my mother because when Michael died a piece of her died too. She has changed, but I know she finds comfort looking after his children.

"I also know Michael wanted them to be happy and all of us, as a family, have come together to make those three little ones our priority."

To mark the anniversary of his death, La Toya says the family is planning a reunion and will spend the day doing some of Michael's favourite things.

"We don't want it to be a sad day," she insists. "We want to celebrate Michael's life, his wonderful personality, his incredible talent and his beautiful spirit. Maybe we'll watch some old movies, play some music and have a party.

"One thing is for sure, Michael will be with us. On that day, Michael will be there."

Thank you Nena...I agree with LaToya...Michael WAS to good for this world..God gave us a gift and the human race was not ready to fully except it...Shame on the world. :boohoo:

Thanks,What an incredible man,This world didnt deserve you.
miss him so much.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/new...-good-for-this-world-says-sister-La-Toya.html

Michael's sister and his closest confidante, La Toya Jackson, reveals the man behind the legend - and how his loved ones are coping a year after his death

By Louise Gannon, 20/06/2010

"The most amazing thing about Michael was that he never held any of that against me," she says. "I remember when I'd got away from this total hell I'd been through where I'd been beaten, abused, controlled and forced to say those terrible things about Michael, which I didn't for a moment believe, he held out his arms and just hugged me. I was crying saying: 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry.' He just held me tight and said: 'I am your brother, I always knew it wasn't you saying those words.' I told him I loved him and he looked me in the eyes and said: 'I will always love you more.'"

See, thats why I love this man so much 'cause I don't think I could've found it in my heart to forgive her.

The resemblance between the two siblings is uncanny - although La Toya denies she has ever had plastic surgery herself, merely hinting: "I think it's up to each individual and if you're not happy with something, knowing you can probably alter it a little, that's OK."

Girl, :scratch:

"I feel sorry for my mother because when Michael died a piece of her died too. She has changed, but I know she finds comfort looking after his children.

Joseph has said pretty much the same thing too.:(

But again, why keep spilling your guts to the tabloids? they never did this before (well, not with the same frequency).

In any case, this is what I like to hear people talk about, Michael the person, human being, brother......not the other crap that some family members, so-called friends and the media love to fixate on. We've had enough of the negatives, its time to profess this man's positives and let the whole world know.

Yea thanks for sharing i will not go in on her because at the end of the day she loved him i just wish she stop talking to the media period

Aw, that was lovely. You know, I like Latoya...not the brightest chick you'll ever meet but I think she has a good heart and loved Michael.

A sweet interview.. but is this once again a contradicting story from LaToya? Anyone else remember her interview on 20/20 (either the one from 2005 or the recent one). She is being asked why she said those things and she said she was in an abusive relationsship. The interviewer then asked her if she and Michael ever spoke about it and she said something like.. "No, we never have spoken about it because that is not how we deal with issues in our family."(That was not the exact quote but something like that)

Post edit:
I found the clip.. On 2:40 mark.. La Toya says that she and her brother have never discussed that press-conferance where she accused him.. this becasue of heartfelt talks are not the Jackson way.. they dont do a heart-to-heart sitdown..
[youtube]oqgzJBAnSAo[/youtube]

Last edited:
well she also said something similar to what she recently said to barbara walters last fall. I'm assuming when she said they didn't talk about it she means they didn't go into detail about it, it's hard not to ever bring up why you accused your brother of a crime. The good thing is that she was able to apologize to michael and he was kind enough to forgive her.

If the media had let the world follow Michael, the world would be heaven.

Michael was too good Latoya you're totally right he was way tooooooooooooo good.
Too goodhearted and at times to naive to believe in the good of people which was one of his biggest mistakes.

shes giving interviews to the news of the world again hasnt she made enough money off the last 12 months. between the NOTW and the mail what can u say. no wonder ppl believe what these papers say when family members have no problem talking to them. now i know why i stay off the boards on a sunday.

"Michael was too good for this world." That may just be one of the only worthwhile things LaToya Jackson has ever said. It strikes true to the core.

I don't think LaToya was his closest confidante, though. They just said that to hype up the interview IMO. In any case, I find it hard to believe that Michael wasn't in love with Lisa or Debbie. Especially Debbie--I can't think of any reason besides irrational love that would make him marry Debbie Rowe. The woman was neither a looker nor a celebrity. I think Michael just fell in love with something (that I fail to see). Lisa...well, it's hard to look at them and say they weren't in love. They look so happy together, and not in the MJ/Liz "just friends" kind of way. There was definitely love between Michael and Lisa. At least on Michael's part...you could see it in his eyes.

In any case, LaToya is correct in saying that "this world" was not good enough for Michael. I concur with her statement. Michael was far too sweet and far too kind and loving a man to really make it in the world the way the cut-throats do. He got as far as he did due to his amazing talent, not his ability to fxxk people over. The people who took advantage of him, however, had honed their "fxxxing over" abilities to a prime and well, lo an behold at the culmination of their joint efforts.

I think Michael was, in some ways, very childlike...but not entirely. He was wise beyond his time as well, like an old sage who has witnessed kingdoms rise and fall. Yet he had the drive and valor of a man at his prime. I reckon what I am saying is that Michael was just timeless. Like those fairytale princes you read about as a young child and wish to emulate. He had the ability to be forever young, yet had within him wisdom which was as old as time.

Our world displays none of these qualities. The Earth itself is a beautiful planet. In fact, it is the most beautiful out of all the ones in our solar system (considering most of them are empty and have horrible temperatures lol.) Our world, however, is a world composed of various societies all inhabiting a single sphere. It's an ocean of illusions, all tailored for a certain set of people and presented as reality. It is a place in which nothing is real and no one truly lives. Illusory goals are set and pointless ideals are portrayed as "dreams" to be reached at any cost. What we fail to realize is that ours is a reality in which a sacrifice needs to be made in order for something to occur. Sometimes, sacrifices are made unknowingly. Other times, however, the noble are quick to sacrifice themselves in order to save or otherwise help othe people. Michael was that sort of person. Although such nobility is admireable, it can be easily exploited by those who are more acquainted with the way our system works. I believe we have witnessed enough to make my statement a self-evident truth.

Michael was far too noble of a person to survive in the deplorable society we exist in today. He was noble "to a fault", too good for this place, and those who are soaked in the ways of the world were quick to detect that in him and use him accordingly.

My heart aches.

Thanks for posting this. It was beautiful. It made me :cry:

LaToya is right.
"Michael was too good for this world."

Yes, it is like the line from Don McLean's song: "Vincent".
"This world was never meant for someone as Beautiful
as Michael Jackson."

Don sings it for us at this link. May his song bring us Peace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrNFDxCRzU

"Starry Starry, Night"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

"And now I think I know what you tried to say to me

how you suffered for your sanity

how you tried to set them free.
They would not listen
they're not
list'ning still
perhaps they never will."

Last edited:
In any case, LaToya is correct in saying that "this world" was not good enough for Michael. I concur with her statement. Michael was far too sweet and far too kind and loving a man to really make it in the world the way the cut-throats do. He got as far as he did due to his amazing talent, not his ability to fxxk people over. The people who took advantage of him, however, had honed their "fxxxing over" abilities to a prime and well, lo an behold at the culmination of their joint efforts.

I think Michael was, in some ways, very childlike...but not entirely. He was wise beyond his time as well, like an old sage who has witnessed kingdoms rise and fall. Yet he had the drive and valor of a man at his prime. I reckon what I am saying is that Michael was just timeless. Like those fairytale princes you read about as a young child and wish to emulate. He had the ability to be forever young, yet had within him wisdom which was as old as time.

Our world displays none of these qualities. The Earth itself is a beautiful planet. In fact, it is the most beautiful out of all the ones in our solar system (considering most of them are empty and have horrible temperatures lol.) Our world, however, is a world composed of various societies all inhabiting a single sphere. It's an ocean of illusions, all tailored for a certain set of people and presented as reality. It is a place in which nothing is real and no one truly lives. Illusory goals are set and pointless ideals are portrayed as "dreams" to be reached at any cost. What we fail to realize is that ours is a reality in which a sacrifice needs to be made in order for something to occur. Sometimes, sacrifices are made unknowingly. Other times, however, the noble are quick to sacrifice themselves in order to save or otherwise help othe people. Michael was that sort of person. Although such nobility is admireable, it can be easily exploited by those who are more acquainted with the way our system works. I believe we have witnessed enough to make my statement a self-evident truth.

Michael was far too noble of a person to survive in the deplorable society we exist in today. He was noble "to a fault", too good for this place, and those who are soaked in the ways of the world were quick to detect that in him and use him accordingly.

My heart aches.

So true.

shes absolutley right. This world and the people in it are too cruel as well all know too well

It was an amazing interview. He forgave her despite what she said about him. Yet some fans can't let that go.

I agree with you completely. As one who has had a hard time completely forgetting, I know I have a LOT of nerve. She was Michael's sister. He loved her, forgave her. Who am I NOT to completely over look the past.

But I think there are a few reasons why I don't forget.

One, I believe some of her actions were not WHOLLY because of her husband, but envy.

Two, Michael forgave her because to believe a family member could actually say what she did WITHOUT being coerced would be too painful emotionally for him to accept and bear. I think it would be for any siblings who had once been close.

Three, if you love someone, it IS easier to forgive them.
i.e., A friend of mine was attacked by her boyfriend. He got treatment for an alcohol problem that was the underlining cause for the attack. Then he pursued my friend relentlessly until she forgave him, and went back to him. There haven't been any problems since. She forgave him basically because she loved him. Her mother has never forgotten he hit her daughter. She's forgiven him, even likes him now I think, but she always seems a little wary of him.

But getting back on topic, it was an amazing article and I'm sure LaToya is sincere.

I don't have a problem with LaToya at all. Its obvious she loves Michael and yes she said something dreadful years ago but Michael forgave her and it seems she is eternally grateful for that. Not many people would forgive but Michael was so full of love he would and he did. Plus we don't know the real extent of what she went through with Jack Gordon. She's so right though and I always say it, this world did not deserve Michael.

Thank you for posting this article. Loved reading it.

Michael truly was too good for this world. He didn't let himself be directed into something he should be, like most of us do. We say this is normal and if you act that way it's not normal. He just really was himself and I wish I could be a bit more like him. Everyone should be a bit more like him, this world would be so much better if we all were as forgiving as Michael was.

I thought I would do alright this week, but with Friday coming closer I'm getting more anxious.....

thank you so much for posting this :)

very touching. I always feel love when Latoya speaks about Michael, despite whatever happened. it sounds sincere. and Michael's forgiveness of her is just so profound and inspiring...

She was so right. This world did not deserve Michael and I am so glad he forgave her. I

My respect for LaToya. She have said a very good things about Michael since he passed and she is trying to do her best for his justice. Whatever she said before does not matter. It is family issues and it was explained many times why LaToya said this and that in the past. She asked fr forgiveness and she was forgiven. Why some fans are still hating her? I love this interview. Everything what she said sounds very true to me.

Back