Michael in Ireland [ Merged ]

Re: Michael in Ireland

OMG! if we do that I'm so in! I'm a Polish fan, but have been living here long enough to go to the Irish fanvention!
Maybe it doesn't need to be only for Irish fans?
I mean, hmm, EUROPEAN meet in a place where Michael actually LIVED? There isn't that many places in Europe other than hotels where he actually STAYED FOR LONG so it should be attractive to fans from all over!:clapping::clapping::clapping:
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

You will have to pass a citizens test first?

OMG! if we do that I'm so in! I'm a Polish fan, but have been living here long enough to go to the Irish fanvention!
Maybe it doesn't need to be only for Irish fans?
I mean, hmm, EUROPEAN meet in a place where Michael actually LIVED? There isn't that many places in Europe other than hotels where he actually STAYED FOR LONG so it should be attractive to fans from all over!:clapping::clapping::clapping:
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

TOO. EXCITED. right now!!! :clapping:
We have to do this..

I'm here, I'm here! I've been kind of following this thread, which has been mighty funny at times.... Tayto, GAA... ;)
I am totally up for a meeting, and I know WhoAmI is too. I will be in Ireland some time in the summer but don't know when yet.... Yes, I know, that's really helpful...
but yeah, would love to join!

Lol I didn't see the 2nd question. Lemme think: me?
I have family in Wadowice :rofl:

I guess that was Karol Wojtyła known as Jan Paweł II, John Paul 2 :D

Also known as Papa. Correct. I think Linomali is the most famous polka to have visited Ireland.

edit: I was going off topic. :giggle:
COULD we do this convention thing? In Coolatore? I wonder how much it'd cost. :giggle:

Last edited:

Thank you for posting this Emerald. This was very nice reading. :yes:

Old article but nice reading:

Paddy Dunning reflects on time spent with Michael Jackson:

Michael Jackson and Paddy Dunning became friends when music genius Jackson spent five months working at Dunning's world-class recording facility at Grouse Lodge in Rosemount, near Moate, Co. Westmeath, in 2006.

Dunning told how Jackson didn't surround himself with an entourage and, contrary to the '***** *****' image, he enjoyed a normal lifestyle while living in Westmeath.

The pop legend went to the cinema in Mullingar, Tullamore and Athlone with his children - and even shopped in the local towns, including Moate. He went walking in the Westmeath countryside and he loved the fact that local people didn't bother him or his family.

And Jackson recorded what was to be his last album in the state-of-the art Westmeath studios, where he worked with a number to top-notch musicians, songwriters and producers, including Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas.

Dunning also revealed that Michael Jackson was a multi-instrumentalist who played guitar, bass and drums in the studios.

Jackson and his three children, Prince Michael Jnr (12), Paris (11) and seven-year-old Prince Michael ll, lived nearby in a beautiful Victorian residence, Coolatore House, set on 15 acres of exotic gardens and stunning woodlands.

The pop legend forged a close friendship with Paddy Dunning and his wife Claire and the couple were looking forward to seeing him perform in London.

Jackson was in regular contact with Paddy and the American superstar had agreed to open Dunning's new waxworks at the old Bank of Ireland building on Dublin's College Green at the end of July.

In an exclusive interview, Paddy Dunning yesterday told the Sunday World: "Michael's sudden death is unbelievably shocking.

"We're just trying to come to terms with it at the moment. Claire and myself were going over to London for his shows and we were looking forward to him coming to the wax museum in Dublin at the end of next month.

"Claire got on really well with the family and stayed in contact. She's just shocked.We both have very fond memories of Michael and his children and we were privileged that he came to record at Grouse Lodge.

"Michael had booked in for a month, but he ended up staying for five months. He just loved it down here in Westmeath.

"He walked the fields and he loved the Westmeath countryside. He loved going to Tullamore, Athlone, Moate, Mullingar and up to Dublin. He went to the local cinema with his kids.

Sometimes they closed the cinema for him and sometimes he went incognito.

FOND MEMORIES: Dunning worked with Jackson at his Grouse Lodge recording studio
"Sometimes people recognised him and they couldn't believe it was him. A lot of people respected his privacy and he was very happy with that.

Michael set up camp here and he was really happy and the kids were happy.

There was no entourage or anything like that. It was just family living."

The '***** *****' image is not the man that Paddy Dunning met.

"We just saw the gentleman, the real person as a man and as a father... a very good, caring father.

He spent time with his kids doing all the normal things," Paddy reveals.

"Michael looked after their food, giving them porridge in the morning and things like chicken and rice for dinner.There was no entourage, just a nanny and a teacher for the kids.

They set up school in the house. "Michael didn't do the cooking himself but he ate well and he was healthy. He was in great form. He
was fascinated with Irish mythology and he loved Irish music."

Engaging
Dunning would sit and chat with the star and found Jackson to be a very engaging man, completely in touch with what was going on in the world.

"He had a great sense of humour," Paddy says. "He was well read in terms of what was going on in Ireland and on the international scene as well. He read all the papers and was aware of what was going on with the Celtic Tiger."

Dunning told how Jackson had a very strong work ethic and spent most of his time writing and recording songs for a new album.

Superstar producers and musicians like Will.i.am and Rodney Jerkins also jetted in to work with him at Grouse Lodge.

"Michael wrote and recorded lots of music for a new album during his time here," Paddy adds.

"There were so amazing songs and he was a great performer and a great player. He played drums, guitar and bass. He was very, very talented and pitch perfect."

Paddy and don't have a photo memory of their time with Michael Jackson because Grouse Lodge has a policy of not photographing the world famous artists who record there.

"When he was leaving, Michael actually said: 'You're the only people who have never asked for a photograph.'

But he is on YouTube here because he did an interview with American TV presenter Billy Bush in Grouse Lodge."

Paddy adds: "It was a great privilege and an honour to work with an artist of that quality. He's definitely up there with Lennon and McCartney and the rest of them. And Michael was a gentleman."

Can you believe Michael went to the cinema in Mullingar, Tullamore and Athlone and shopped in Moate! Haha, mad!!!!

i have seen pics online from Michaels time here with his kids :) they looked happy :)

Last edited:

Julien's Auctions will execute the recreation of Michael Jackson's Kent home for the public viewing for the first time ever at Newbridge Silverware's Museum of Style Icons in Ireland from Tuesday, March 16th – Sunday
http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2010/music-icons/index.html

I heard about this!

Thank you for posting this Emerald. This was very nice reading. :yes:

You're welcome. :)

i have seen pics online from Michaels time here with his kids :) they looked happy :)

Were they the pics in Tullamore from the CCTV footage? I have not seen one paparazzi pic from their time here, which is a great thing. I did see them arrive at Cork airport on RTE News though.

no just general family pics they were leaked online. Here is one prince is wearing a jumper with Ireland on it.

l-1c070f398cc0411c9b5acce75c2ec9c2.jpg

Ohh :( I completely teared up when I saw that photo. They look so happy. Poor things. :(
Prince's top :heart: I saw a picture of him before when he was even littler and he was wearing a different Ireland top!

Thank you!

That picture of the kids with the dog...

:cry:

WHY DIDN'T MICHAEL STAY HERE????!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Emerald, This is a great thread!!! :clapping: I really like coming here. :) :wub:
:rollingpeace:

First of all, I see there's a lot of pages I have missed. But I am happy to be back in this thread, I love it!!

Now, to the point. This week I was talking with some friend here about that project of Michael to do some "classic" music album. I thought it was but another rumor, but then I was given this link today. It's old news, any way (July 10th, 2009), but it brought this thread to my mind inmediatly.

When talking about his little work with MJ and what he had done, David Michael Frank said this about the music he got to ear:

"My guess is that each piece would be seven to ten minutes long. [Each one] is more substantial than a song. It’s very pretty music. One piece had an Irish quality about it. I suggested that we could use a Celtic harp. The pieces sound like pretty film score music, with very traditional harmony, and definitely very strong melodies. One of them was a little John Barry-ish, like in Out of Africa -- that kind of John Barry score. I could hear [in my head] sweeping strings and French horns in unison. "

Source: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ent...c/2009/07/more_details_on_instrumental_a.html

I loved the article and from this I can see, once again, how deep Ireland was in Michael's heart. YOu must be very happy. You gave Michael happy times.

I was in tears when I finished reading the article. Michael had so many plans and was working so hard on each one of them... he was full of dreams, full of ideas, full of creativity and talent... awww, Michael, Michael...

First of all, I see there's a lot of pages I have missed. But I am happy to be back in this thread, I love it!!

Now, to the point. This week I was talking with some friend here about that project of Michael to do some "classic" music album. I thought it was but another rumor, but then I was given this link today. It's old news, any way (July 10th, 2009), but it brought this thread to my mind inmediatly.

When talking about his little work with MJ and what he had done, David Michael Frank said this about the music he got to ear:

"My guess is that each piece would be seven to ten minutes long. [Each one] is more substantial than a song. It’s very pretty music. One piece had an Irish quality about it. I suggested that we could use a Celtic harp. The pieces sound like pretty film score music, with very traditional harmony, and definitely very strong melodies. One of them was a little John Barry-ish, like in Out of Africa -- that kind of John Barry score. I could hear [in my head] sweeping strings and French horns in unison. "

Source: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ent...c/2009/07/more_details_on_instrumental_a.html

I loved the article and from this I can see, once again, how deep Ireland was in Michael's heart. YOu must be very happy. You gave Michael happy times.

I was in tears when I finished reading the article. Michael had so many plans and was working so hard on each one of them... he was full of dreams, full of ideas, full of creativity and talent... awww, Michael, Michael...

Very interesting article, i would love to see this happening, it is also interesting that he planned on working on it while in London for TII, some people claim he had taken on too much with TII but if this is to be believed he felt he would have had time to be recording new music.

i am going to this they have had some amazing exhibitions in the past. Its on until 30th May ;)

I'm planning on going too as i was at the last one and it was very good but i i don't think I'll be too interested in the furniture part.

Just reading here about this fan day thing. One is already in the works. I am meeting with two Irish fans and a fan Baba from Paris on Friday.

Baba contacted me last Friday about Organizing a meet up for fans in countries around the world on June 25th. He is eager to have one in Ireland, something I was gonna plan for here anyway.

Baba is an event organizer as well as been a fan, I am meeting him along with two other fans Sharon007 and Tommy. Sharon007 has run alot of meetings in the past and I done the last one. Tommy has connections with people in Dublin and maybe able to get a venue.

We are meeting up to bounce ideas of each other and get the ball rolling to make it the best MJ Fan event Ireland has seen.

I'll keep you posted for sure. This WILL happen.

Sorry I have not been here as much on the board as I used too, both parents have been very unwell and been in and out of hospital.

Last edited:

Just reading here about this fan day thing. One is already in the works. I am meeting with two Irish fans and a fan Baba from Paris on Friday.

Baba contacted me last Friday about Organizing a meet up for fans in countries around the world on June 25th. He is eager to have one in Ireland, something I was gonna plan for here anyway.

Baba is an event organizer as well as been a fan, I am meeting him along with two other fans Sharon007 and Tommy. Sharon007 has run alot of meetings in the past and I done the last one. Tommy has connections with people in Dublin and maybe able to get a venue.

We are meeting up to bounce ideas of each other and get the ball rolling to make it the best MJ Fan event Ireland has seen.

Sorry I have not been here as much on the board as I used too, both parents have been very unwell and been in and out of hospital.

Delighted to hear something is being planned, maybe after your meeting on Friday you could bounce a few of your ideas off us in here, i would love to help in any way i can.

great I certainly will. Normally in Ireland not many show up, however since MJ sadly died he has gained more fans, and am sure we can and WILL make this great.

I'll update here after meeting.

great I certainly will. Normally in Ireland not many show up, however since MJ sadly died he has gained more fans, and am sure we can and WILL make this great.

I'll update here after meeting.

Thanks, hopefully we can get a big crowd, there are a lot of newbies out there we just have to get the word out to them.

That picture of the kids with the dog...

:cry:

WHY DIDN'T MICHAEL STAY HERE????!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I often ask myself the same question. But one thing we know is that he and his kids enjoyed there time in Ireland and didn't get harassed by paps.

Thanks, hopefully we can get a big crowd, there are a lot of newbies out there we just have to get the word out to them.

yes an fan day is being organised and it would be great to get the word out to other fans :)

2300 Jackson Street - Venue in Dublin for MJ? I'm 100000000000000000000% there! Keep us posted!

PCR, that's really cool what you posted. An Irish influence on Michael's music-writing. Paddy Dunning said in an interview that Michael was getting into Irish music.

Was Michael ever here for St. Patrick's Day I wonder! Wonder if he acknowledged the day.

No when he was recording in Grouse lodge here, he stayed in Luggala Estate in north Wicklow

I have visited Dublin once and while I was there one day we actually drove up the the Wicklow Mountains :)

The main gate
mjireland001.jpg

He had already moved out when we were there
mjireland002.jpg

Back