Michael Jackson Moonwalker Blu-Ray-2 disc Blu Ray out Oct

Re: Michael Jackson Moonwalker Blu-Ray (New date June 2nd)-Threads Merged

Receieved mine today from hmv. There is no 3d vignette thing, no 3d glasses, no booklet, just a single blu ray disc. The only extra is the trailer. The video and sound quality is good though :) Will have to compare it with the dvd again. The dvd already looks really good to be honest especially when upscaled to 1080p.

Also the picture has no black bars, and from the few minutes i spent watching it this morning i don't think any picture is missing.

Really don't understand why under the product description on hmv and amazon it mentions a 3D vignette put together by the disney company? Maybe it will be in the June release? We should email warnerbros UK about this.

update: I just emailed warnerbros uk, will let all you FANS know what they say if they reply.

Can you post proper pictures of the back of the blu ray case?? And if it's not too much to ask, some video stills?? Or a sample of 30 secs?? PLEASEEEEEEEE???

Can you post proper pictures of the back of the blu ray case?? And if it's not too much to ask, some video stills?? Or a sample of 30 secs?? PLEASEEEEEEEE???

i can post a picture of the back of the case but i don't know how to take video stills on my tv/ps3.
Will be late tho coz im in uni all day and then work after. unless someone beats me to posting the pics :)

update: Warner Bros UK has replied
"Thank you for your enquiry.

In order for me to look into this, could you please return the whole copy using the freepost address below.

Warner Home Entertainment
FREEPOST - RSAR - ZTSK - XTBT
Rabans Lane
Aylesbury
HP19 8TS

(Please be aware the freepost address only applies within the UK)

Please include your full name, address and a note out-lining the problem you have incurred."

???? i don't want to send them my copy of the blu ray. And why would they need my copy, surely they would have stock of their own. Or did this customer service personnel just ignore what i wrote and used their standard procedure of asking for returns?

I am not going to send them my copy of the blu ray which i paid for though lol

BTW this is the email that I sent:
Dear Warnerbros UK

I received my copy of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker on blu ray today from HMV.
But in the product description at hmv.com and amazon.co.uk it states:

Even non-fans of Michael Jackson will be caught up in the exuberance and virtuosity of MOONWALKER. This 84-minute music video casts The Gloved One as host of a futuristic TV special. Highlights include an extended Claymation sequence and a 3-D vignette put together by the Disney Company. The most endearing aspect of MOONWALKER is Jackson's willingness to poke fun at his own tabloid-headline image.

But there seems to be no 3-D vignette in this blu ray (no 3D glasses). Sorry I only spent about 5 minutes this morning flicking through the blu ray but the only extra on the disc seems to be a trailer.

Or will it be included in the June release? As currently it is exclusive to HMV?

thank you very much

Last edited:

Really don't understand why under the product description on hmv and amazon it mentions a 3D vignette put together by the disney company? Maybe it will be in the June release? We should email warnerbros UK about this.

update: I just emailed warnerbros uk, will let all you FANS know what they say if they reply.

There is no need to contact Warner:

The description of HMV is a old review by Hal Erickson (All movie guide) created for the DVD version:

Synopsis of Moonwalker

Even non-fans of Michael Jackson will be caught up in the exuberance and virtuosity of Moonwalker. This 84-minute music video casts The Gloved One as host of a futuristic TV special. Highlights include an extended Claymation sequence and a 3-D vignette put together by the Disney Company. The most endearing aspect of Moonwalker is Jackson's willingness to poke fun at his own tabloid-headline image. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/catalog/movieDetails/22659

This was a old description of the movie, not extras for the Blu-ray version.

got mine this morning what a let down. no extras.

the only plus side is dtsmaster sound and hd picture

So the picture is indeed then, 1.78:1 (16x9) ?

b003it6tuu01pt01scrmzzz.png

The back cover says 16x9 1:85.1. DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
Doesn't state region so it might not be restricted.

Ok, once again

MOVIES: 16:9=1.85:1 always. No black bars. If you call those few inches bars, ok. but thats peanuts.
2.35:1 cinamascope with black bars.
TV shows and etc in SD and now HDTV is 16:9=1.78:1

the differents between 1.78 and 1.85 so little you won't see it on your tv.
And if you didn't turn the overscan off on your hdtv, you won't see the very important "Few more 'lines' that most certainly will help".

even through "full-screen 16:9" or full frame 16:9 isn't proper description, that's what 1.78 & 1.85 are called now, cause they fill the whole screen.
I wasn't talking about 4:3 full screen. I even put it 'quotes' and you didn't get it. 4:3 tv's are dead, no one talks about fs in meaning of 4:3.

The official aspect ratio of wide screen TV is 1.78:1.
Very few movies are actually shot as 1.78:1, but most were and are shot at 1.85:1.

1.66:1 European tv ws AR
1.85:1 American and UK widescreen standard for theatrical film)

PixelARs.png

Are we clear now?

Last edited:

Ok, once again
MOVIES: 16:9=1.85:1
TV shows and etc in SD and now HDTV is 16:9=1.78:1

This is where perhaps I was confused and unaware.
I did not know that you could have both ...

Can we get some screencaps so we can judge the PQ?

Seems like an awful lot of people are miffed with the lack of 3d feature. Why advertise it if it's not going to be on? Hopefully someone will figure it out.

moonwalker on bluray has now started shipping in the uk, hoepfully ill get mine early next week and let you guys know what it looks like,

should be great i mean we get to see

bad
speed-demon
smooth criminal
leave me alone
come together

all in hd for the first time ever :)

got mine today. not impressed as the pq is very variable.man in the mirror footage and smooth criminal is ace but for some sequences the pq is not as good as i expected.
If the new BAD DVD is as good as the opening man in the mirror sequence we will have something truly special.
RE: the confusion of 3d, IMO this simply means the cgi effects in the film eg speed demon NOT a special new sequence for the bluray.
On the whole a mild thumbs up as it is better quality than the DVD but not as good quality as the recent THIS IS IT bluray which is demo quality for picture and sound.

got mine today. not impressed as the pq is very variable.man in the mirror footage and smooth criminal is ace but for some sequences the pq is not as good as i expected.
If the new BAD DVD is as good as the opening man in the mirror sequence we will have something truly special.
RE: the confusion of 3d, IMO this simply means the cgi effects in the film eg speed demon NOT a special new sequence for the bluray.
On the whole a mild thumbs up as it is better quality than the DVD but not as good quality as the recent THIS IS IT bluray which is demo quality for picture and sound.

I would like to thank you for putting up your short review.. :D

yes thanks for the quick review, i knew that it wouldnt be perfect HD like say Avatar or Saving private ryan but for a movie that is over 20 years old its understandable and i just cant wait to get this next week

OUT OF THIS WORLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD people!!!!!!!! I can not wait!!!!!!!

One thing though, it won't be coming out on Blu in the Netherlands?? Cause I asked everywhere, they don't know anything about it.. :(

Wow, the widescreen looks delicious.

OUT OF THIS WORLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD people!!!!!!!! I can not wait!!!!!!!

One thing though, it won't be coming out on Blu in the Netherlands?? Cause I asked everywhere, they don't know anything about it.. :(

Am from belgium, i also nothing heard about it :( I hope this summer !!

Am from belgium, i also nothing heard about it :( I hope this summer !!
Well, the new release doesn't even contain subtitles in Polish, so I am pretty sure, it won't be released here where I am. I ordered mine at hmv, it says, they've already send it, hope I'll get it this week. So if you don't want to wait, do the same;)

Well, the new release doesn't even contain subtitles in Polish, so I am pretty sure, it won't be released here where I am. I ordered mine at hmv, it says, they've already send it, hope I'll get it this week. So if you don't want to wait, do the same;)

I know , but i am not sure that this blu ray disc from the uk works on a Blu Ray player with Regioncode B (from my country Belgium). And there is also another release on the way from moonwalker (blu ray) by WARNER BROS ! Maybe we have more extra's there....

It's a shame that there are no special features on here. There is The Making Of Moonwalker video around, they could have easily used that as the special feature

has anyone from the USA bought this and tried it out on a PS3 yet?? im thinkin about buying it online but i want to be 100% sure it'll play on my 120gb PS3 system..

PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW!!

-Dal

Back