Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon by David Gest (merged)

Re: Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon - Excl Advanced Blu-ray & DVD Cover Preview *Update Post 13

Now what did Gest want to save Michael from!!! All Michael wanted was the media and friends to stop leaching from him, using him, mocking him, and stabbing him in the back. Without these problems he would not be stressed. If he had true friends, they would never leave him emotionally, even if he said "Beat It." After his death every one comes out claiming they wanted to save Michael and he would not let them. His true friends are still remaining quiet or are dead!!!!!

Re: Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon - Excl Advanced Blu-ray & DVD Cover Preview *Update Post 13

Now what did Gest want to save Michael from!!! All Michael wanted was the media and friends to stop leaching from him, using him, mocking him, and stabbing him in the back. Without these problems he would not be stressed. If he had true friends, they would never leave him emotionally, even if he said "Beat It." After his death every one comes out claiming they wanted to save Michael and he would not let them. His true friends are still remaining quiet or are dead!!!!!

I agree. I personally will not be buying this DVD. The thing that ruins it, in my opinion, is all the downing of Michael by people he loved and trusted at one time or another. The addict talk especially is already worn thin and threadbare. And we still have to hear that all through Murray's trial. I'm just so tired of all the "Michael is to blame for this or that which happened to him." stuff like there weren't people around him who did him really dirty and got away with it. Michael wasn't perfect. But in many cases, he was forced to put up with alot of mess, being treated like crap because of other people drawing him into their drama. And that wasn't fair at all. This is all just my opinion.

Last edited:

Is this gonna come on TV???

Or have I missed it???

Anyway, is it me or am I the only one who doesn't feel any excitement or enthusiasm towards this project.

I think it could be because it'll never be a complete biography since they'll be no footage of music videos (and "making of" footage) and only minimal footage of performances, rehearsals and recording songs. And most likely they'll be zero music from his solo albums (post motown).

I also find it odd how the trailer mentions names like Dionne Warwick and Smokey Robinson but fail to mention names like Macaulay Culkin and Diana Ross, who are two of his best friends. It adds to the incompleteness.

And in the trailer David Gest says, "Most of us that tried to help he just eliminated."

There are many words I would to call that guy, but all are unsuitable for this forum.

The bolded, it is going straight to DVD because the Universal woman said she wanted to get the Christmas rush. This means that it is expected to be big for Christmas.

I was hoping it was a look at the celebration of Michael's work and talent with people giving good stories about interactions with him. Now it seems it also mixes people's perspective of Michael's "decline" and talks about his behavior from members that were not close to him, so right now I do not know how to view this thing.

Why are they more excited over how much it will make and planing it's release date carefully to conincide with good sells if it's all about the "Real MJ" and his legacy!? Pff!

I'm sure though the Doc will have nice moments but, it's the comments like Guest make or whatever Rebbie might say that will reuined it all and has already! Plus, wether she doesn't say anything to off putting...we all know what she really thinks and that make it quit difficult to support a Mj project she is involved in knowing she and the rest will get paid for it too!

It sounds strange to me when I hear that Michael eliminated ppl that wanted to help him. So, it could be true since many close ppl said that. But why? Even true friends will go away if you say them "Beat it". It's impossible that everybody was wrong. In somewhere Michael was, probably, also wrong.

Did you mean Frank Dileo as a true friend who is dead now? I am not positive about Frank's loyalty.

It sounds strange to me when I hear that Michael eliminated ppl that wanted to help him. So, it could be true since many close ppl said that. But why? Even true friends will go away if you say them "Beat it". It's impossible that everybody was wrong. In somewhere Michael was, probably, also wrong.

Did you mean Frank Dileo as a true friend who is dead now? I am not positive about Frank's loyalty.

Most of the people who claimed to be turned away from Michael when they wanted to 'help' him were people that either try to hit him for money and used his name to promote themselves. These same people also haven't seen Michael in years and when they did, they didn't seem that concern about Michael's health. At the family reunion dinner no one in his family said crap about Michael not being well. They also been trying to get him to tour since the 90s, so his problems couldn't had been that bad in his eyes. When he did look ill back in 2001, no one said crap and he did that two big concerts that Gest himself put together.

The people who were actually around Michael during his life never mentioned anything about drug problems and him pushing people away. Liz stood in his life until the day he died and never betrayed him even in her dying days. So did the Ciaco and many other families Michael hang with, despite Grace trying to throw them under the bus by calling them enablers.

Magic you are right, I too think Michael told people to Beat It, but the reasons they are giving is what I have questions about. In no way is he going to tell them to Beat It if he recognizes that they are friends and want to really help him with something.

I think he recognized that they wanted something from him and was disguising it by pretending they wanted to help him, or whatever their plan was, was better than XYZ, things of that nature. He, must have sensed that there was something behind their interest, and kept away from them. I find it strange that all those who said they tried to help him and he kept them away, are people who eventually had something nasty to say about him later on, or have used him several times to make money or bolster their career. For instance, some who talked about him keeping them away were some members of his family, and we know this was said after they tried to get him to do that reunion show, he did not want to, and then the stories began. He was an addict and kept them away. Meanwhile Michael was all over the place, traveling, and visiting the Cascios. How come the Cascios never said they tried to help him and he kept them away? How come people like Chris never said he tried to help Michael and he pushed him away? William never said it either. It is always those who have big projects for Michael to do that makes these claims.

If anyone can give me the names of "friends" of Michael, who say they tried to help him and he pushed them away, and you can show me that this person did not want something from Michael, did not use him to get money for a project, did not use his name to help his career, did not have an ulterior motive, then I would more likely believe that person.

Also, true friends do not leave you emotionally, which is what I said above. You are talking about physically. Physically they may stay away from you, but deep inside, emotionally, there is always a feeling for the person.

About Frank, Michael cared enough about him to rehire him. They may have had their issues, but I still will have more respect for him than some of the others. Frank died recently and he gave an interview before he died. He never at that moment had anything derogatory to say about Michael.

I wonder what these people want to save Michael from?

Hey Romana we were posting the same kind of response at the same time!!!!!

Michael Jackson never eliminate his mother, guess she is the enabler too in their eyes. funny always those media whores claimed michael eliminate them when Michael true close friends still be quiet & out of spot light, and never cash in on michael's name, Diana Ross(her son said they were close until his last day), Liz, Mac, Chris tucker...michael's will said it all. rebbie talk about michael's decline? I am not surprise one bit, how can i forget her good pal Stacy brown's sick words with rebbie's blessing" he represent the Jacksons".

Last edited:

Diana Ross(her son said they were close until his last day),

Awww that sweet :wub:

The people who were actually around Michael during his life never mentioned anything about drug problems and him pushing people away. Liz stood in his life until the day he died and never betrayed him even in her dying days. So did the Ciaco and many other families Michael hang with, despite Grace trying to throw them under the bus by calling them enablers.

Liz is important because she actually took him to rehab! How could he be shutting people out of his life over drugs when his best friend all his life was the very person who made him go into rehab in the first place? She even specifically mentioned she wanted him cut off from his people while in rehab so he couldn't be surrounded by any of the bad enablers.

The people who claim he cut them off now - Jacksons, Shmuley, Gest, others, all were cut off for other reasons.

And Lisa Marie? She admitted to walking away from him twice! How could she say he cut her off when she was the one who walked? Or if he was talking to her on the phone in 2005 and she was the one saying she didn't love him, wasn't that cutting him off? Why should he remain close to someone like that after all the things she'd done?

They say these things just to try and enhance their own image and assuage their guilt.

It'll be really annoying hearing people talk about it in this doc, but not surprising considering it's got Rebbie, Kath, Tito, Gest in it. They take the family position that all those reunion tour meetings were now "interventions."

Exactly what I was thinking! Seriously this "we wanted to save him but he would eliminate us" thing is starting to get old and has actually become like the new catch phrase for everyone around him to save their own ass to the famous question "If you cared for Michael so much and are not here to make money, than why weren't you there for him then??"

First off, Michael during his entire life always suffered from being lonely and having no one to count on... he's the same man who would walk around the streets in the middle of the night just to find someone to talk to... also Michael has shown and proven that he was extremely sensitive to ANY positve attention given to him and would always repay the favour times ten... a man like that dosen't just eliminate people out of his life when they would supposedly say "Michael we love you and we want to help you!"... I mean you want Michael's testimony on his life and supposed friends who wanted to help, listen to his music... "Stranger In Moscow", "Someone Put Your Hand Out", etc... these are not the words of a man who had a truckload of people coming at his door to help him!! I don't care if god right now tries to contridct me on this... Michael had no one in his life that truly wanted to help him without a catch to their own benefit... and Michael knew that!! If there was 1 person in this world that truly loved Michael "the man" and wanted to help him just for his happiness and health regardless of any other benefits... Michael would have never fallen into these medications! Those prescription drugs would help his physical pain yes... but even more his emotional pain and suffering!!!

I don't completely agree with everything what was said in the trailer. For example, I wonder what kind of "mistakes" he made they are talking about. Why do they always got to have this kind of stuff... honestly. Anyway, it at least looks like a fairly positive documentary. I think if this release is popular enough, it just might air on television, but that's just my hope. However, I won't purchase it until I watch it by "other means" first. I want to make sure I am supporting a good cause for Michael's legacy. On a side note, I am just curious about what will be shown in 1080p on the Bluray. I bought Moonwalker on Bluray a few months ago, and the quality was incredible. That would be cool if they remastered clips of his tours and such in HD, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. :thumbs_up:

Yes, I think we need a little more information about this production. Has anyone contacted Gest about the issues we raised? He might say something since they want big sales.

I am looking forward to this.

I find every documentary about MJ very intresting. - Even those that are negative. - There are parts in LWMJ I love! - Just watching MJ is great. -

So I can't wait for this to be released. I just hope this will at least be positive and a great watch!

I will pass on this. Why do l have a feeling Jackie has been the one leaking future projects to the family? And they are trying to make money as first has possible.

^In this project though, I believe, Tito has more involvement than any other Jackson. After Michael, David was closest to Tito from that family. This clip is a window into their relationship:

I think Tito will be positive about his brother. Even when looking at their reality show, you could tell from their awe at what Michael had accomplished that they really did not know much about him in his later life. I remember how amazed Tito was when they showed them the O2 arena and they told them how quickly Michael had filled it up.

I really wish the family will come together and present a positive and realistic look at Michael Jackson the artist and person.

^In this project though, I believe, Tito has more involvement than any other Jackson. After Michael, David was closest to Tito from that family. This clip is a window into their relationship:

Hmmmmm I thought Gest was in fact Tito's friend .:unsure:

Yes thats how david gest got close with michael he was friends with tito first

Wed, 05 Oct 2011 9:00p.m.

A new Michael Jackson documentary will premiere at London’s Leicester Square next month with his family and more than 100 celebrities in attendance.

Michael Jackson: Life Of An Icon is described as a powerful behind-the-scenes account of the pop superstar’s life, from his early life with the Jackson 5 to his rise to global stardom through to the final moments of his sudden death in 2009.
The November 2 premiere of the film in London will be attended by Jackson’s mother Katherine, brother Tito, sister Rebbie, David Gest and lawyers Thomas Mesereau and Susan Yu who successfully acquitted Michael Jackson of all charges during his child molestation court case in 2005.
They will all participate in a special Q&A to discuss their involvement in the project prior to the screening.
Joining them at the event will be more than 100 celebrities including recording artists, motion picture and television stars, sporting legends and other well-known personalities.
In addition, Michael Jackson fans from all over the world will have the opportunity to win tickets to attend this event. Universal Pictures say they will announce the details on how fans can participate soon.
The premiere’s after-party is set to include performances by Russell Thompkins Jr, Peabo Bryson, Deniece Williams, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Jimmy Ruffin and Martha Reeves.
Michael Jackson: Life Of An Icon is due for release in New Zealand on DVD and Blu-ray on November 2.
3 News

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/New-Michael-...8/articleID/228430/Default.aspx#ixzz1ZtskD57U

man, when they said the family were coming i thought they were taking the kids who'd see the stuff about drugs and plastic surgery! had my blood boiling until i realised it was only the bro's and mama kath

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Producter David Gest and Universal Pictures announce all-star World Premiere

2-disc.jpg

PRESS RELEASE - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRODUCER DAVID GEST AND UNIVERSAL PICTURES ANNOUNCE ALL-STAR WORLD PREMIERE OF GEST'S NEW FILM 'MICHAEL JACKSON: THE LIFE OF AN ICON' IN LONDON ON 02 NOVEMBER 2011 AT EMPIRE LEICESTER SQUARE, 7:00PM

London, Wednesday, 5th October 2011 - David Gest and Universal Pictures today announced they will co-host a special all-star event to celebrate the world premiere of Gest's new film 'Michael Jackson: The Life Of An Icon' to be held in London at 7:00pm, Wednesday 02 November 2011 at the Empire Leicester Square. The film will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on Monday 31 October 2011.

In attendance will be Michael Jackson's mother Katherine, brother Tito, sister Rebbie, David Gest, the film's director Andrew Eastel and lawyers Thomas Mesereau and Susan Yu (who successfully acquitted Michael Jackson of all charges during his child molestation court case in 2005). They will all participate in a special Q&A to discuss their involvement in the project prior to the screening. Joining them at the event will be more than 100 celebrities including many of the music industry's top recording artists, motion picture and television stars, sporting legends and other well-known personalities. In addition, Michael Jackson fans from all over the world will have the opportunity to win tickets to attend this event. They will be able to join celebrity guests on the red carpet, view the film and have a chance to be selected to pose a question during the audience Q&A. Universal Pictures will soon announce details for Michael Jackson fans to participate in this event.

Television star and producer David Gest, who produced Michael's last concert 'Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration' in 2001, which was the highest-rated musical television special in history and featured the final reunion of the original Jackson 5, said: "I am thrilled that Katherine, Tito, Rebbie, Andrew, Thomas and Susan as well as 100 stars will be in attendance for the world premiere of my new film 'Michael Jackson: The Life Of An Icon'. There is going to be a jam at the invitation-only after-party following the premiere and more than 20 legendary artists who appear in the film will take part. I am thrilled because so many of today's contemporary artists who are friends of mine are really looking forward to performing with these legends. This party is going to be historic!"

Musical legends already confirmed to perform at the exclusive after-party include: Russell Thompkins, Jr., the original lead singer off all the Stylistics hits ('I Can't Give You Anything (But My Love)', 'You Make Me Feel Brand New', 'Rockin' Roll Baby', 'Sing Baby Sing'); Peabo Bryson ('A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)', 'Beauty & The Beast' 'Tonight, I Celebrate My Love'); Deniece Williams ('Let's Hear It For The Boy', 'Free', 'Too Much, Too Little, Too Late' & 'It's Gonna Take A Miracle'); Kim Weston ('It Takes Two', 'Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While)' & 'Helpless'); Brenda Holloway ('Every Little Bit Hurts', 'When I'm Gone' & 'You Made Me So Very Happy' which she co-wrote); Jimmy Ruffin ('What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted', 'I'll Say Forever My Love', 'It's Wonderful' & 'Hold On To My Love'); Martha Reeves ('Dancing In The Streets', 'Heatwave', 'Jimmy Mack' & ' I'm Ready For Love') and many more to be announced. According to Tito Jackson: "this is going to be like a 60's, 70's and 80's soulfest with so many legends gathered in one place in honour of my brother. Michael loved soul music and grew up on it and my mother, sister and I are really excited to hear and see all these great performers in one room. It is going to bring back a lot of wonderful memories!"

'Michael Jackson: The Life Of An Icon' is a powerful behind-the-scenes account of the star's life, providing fresh insight into his early years with the Jackson 5, his rise to global solo-stardom through to the final moments of his sudden death in 2009 featuring exclusive interviews with Katherine Jackson, Tito Jackson, Rebbie Jackson, Smokey Robinson, David Gest, Dionne Warwick, Whitney Houston, Paul Anka, Michael's manager, the late Frank DiLeo in his last interview, Valerie Simpson and her husband, the late Nick Ashford in his last interview, Petula Clark, Mickey Rooney, legendary record producers Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff, the songwriting team of Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Eddie Holland and more than 50 friends, peers and associates share intimate and fascinating stories about the singer's celebrated life. Released on DVD and Blu-rayT on Monday 31 October 2011 from Universal Pictures International Home Entertainment, the film will feature performance footage as well as never-before-seen family photography.
mjstill.jpeg

Directed by Andrew Eastel and produced by Michael Jackson's childhood best friend David Gest, 'Michael Jackson: The Life Of An Icon' gives Katherine Jackson the first chance to tell her side of the story about Michael's upbringing in Gary, Indiana, his relationship with father Joe, her support for her son during the court cases and her thoughts on the life he faced afterwards. Rebbie Jackson, Michael's eldest sister, gives a very rare interview and recounts the star's childhood growing up in Gary, Indiana and his extraordinary bond with mother Katherine. Gest's other best friend, Michael's brother, Tito provides an in-depth look into Jackson's history and what his mother and family went through during the sensational child molestation trial in 2005 that he was acquitted from an all counts.

Michael's mother Katherine says: "'Michael Jackson: The Life Of An Icon' is a truly remarkable film that captures the true character, wit and sensitivity of my son. Producer David Gest takes you on an emotional roller coaster that will bring people to tears as well as really understand who the man behind the music was and is."

NOTES TO EDITORS

About David Gest:
David Gest and Michael Jackson began their friendship in 1969 and more than thirty years later the two formed a successful business venture, World Events LLC, where Gest produced and Jackson starred in the highest rated music television special in history 'Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration' on the CBS Network. It was seen in more than 100 countries throughout the world. Gest produced these historic last live concerts of Jackson at Madison Square Garden on 07 and 10 September 2001 which also featured the last reunion of Michael and his brothers, The Jackson 5.

About 'Michael Jackson: The Life Of An Icon':
Producer, narrator and best childhood friend to Michael Jackson, David Gest has pieced together the most important facts about Jackson's life based on unseen first-hand accounts he recorded during the last 15 months with many of Michael's family members, friends and close associates who knew the star well. In addition to celebrating his many achievements as the biggest selling artist of all-time, the film will finally answer some of the speculation surrounding Jackson's life. Also included in the show is rare, in-studio and live television performance footage of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 as well as unforgettable original music from the Motown period by Michael, the Jackson 5 and other artists who Jackson respected and was influenced by. The soundtrack includes more than 21 classic tunes.

Re: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Producter David Gest and Universal Pictures announce all-star World Premi

Message from David Guest to the members of MJJCommunity

[YOUTUBE]_SabyHao2U0[/YOUTUBE]

Re: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Producter David Gest and Universal Pictures announce all-star World Premi

How the heck do we get tickets to this? I mean apart from e chance of winning tickets of course? I guess we shall just have to wait to hear more details.

Great just in time for the verdict. barf.

Back