Michael Jackson To Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
This technology is only in it's early stages. Imagine where it's going to be possibly in as little as a few years from now. It's staying true to the original artist, no mater who they are, is what concerns me. They can have them saying, performing and promoting ideas and products they never would have when they were alive.

Some of the movements seemed similiar to TWYMMF from the Grammys.

Did not get that vibe at all. Other than what the guy does after he gets up from the throne, those slight movements with his hands. I know what you mean, though.

I also think the Tupac hologram had the element of surprise for a factor. Nobody knew it was going to happen until it actually did. We were told about this previously, and also blatantly lied to by being told that this would be made using "unseen footage" of Michael in the studio, unearthed by LA Reid...With that, we reasonably got our hopes up, and were reasonably disappointed. But I still think had this taken the Tupac route, as in being a complete surprise, I think a lot more of us would've been satisfied.

The more i watch the hologram performance, the more i appreciate the work that was put into it.. you can feel the love and passion that branca felt whilst creating this idea.. i just wanna ask those two fans who win the xscape to vegas competition, about how it felt to see Michael's virtual presence, face to face.. i do definitely consider it to be the start of the future of Michael's live entertainment image (not forgetting his previous world tours, which will hopefully be released on blu ray soon) and hopefully reaching out to new generations for many years to come, as time goes on.. i am sure that they can get a much more physical resembling hologram than last night, but this is for sure a great piece of promotion and HIStory..

I posted the link a couple of pages back. Here it is again for those who want to see the video of ABC stating NOT an impersonator. Click for video... http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/enterta...cks-the-house-at-billboard-music-awards-2014/

Think they're misinformed. We know they used an impersonator to map movements, which was basically put onto a virtual image, the body looked too natural though, it may have been that of the impersonators or a image of Michael created with computer imagery, but those were actual clothes, not computer generated pixels. And they also say it wasn't a hologram, sooo what was it?

perhaps not peppers ghost illusion. because that's what Alki David has the license for and in the current documents they stated that they aren't using that technology.

Assuming Alki David lawsuits against MJ Estate happens - with no settlement- in a year or two we would have all the details of both "holograms" (Cirque and Billboard) from the court documents.

If we accept the court documents as truth, we know that it's not a hologram - Estate called it "Virtual Michael" in the documents and it's not the same technology/trademark as Tupac Hologram/ Peppers Ghost. The company behind MJ is the same one that did Tupac one though.

Strange, surely you can't license that Illusion, its been used for hundreds of years? Maybe they ran a variation of the trick, whatever they used was 2D, and probably projected onto an angled piece of film/glass same as peppers ghost, also none of the people on stage were real, or interacted with anyone real, they just made it look that way. Dunno, very strange xD

Great technology. Like others have said: its probably CGI like they do with Fifa and NBA 2K14: they motion capture someone dancing and apply an MJ skin to it.
Not yet perfect, but better than I would expect it to look :)

My friend who is "a computer geek" says that what they are saying (the official story) might be true. He says it is possible to create the whole character (complete body and haed) using computer technology without using impersonator. Just like they are doing FIFA video games. They create the characters using the video they have of actual players and then they can control them making them doing whatever they want (moving their lips, dancing or running and scoring goals - FIFA).

So for now I believe in the official story and that is that there was no impersonator used and that it was not a hologram but virtual Michael (like video game).

The only thing thats stopping me believing this, is the quality of the body textures/shadows and way the clothing moves is REALLY advanced, where as the face is not, theres no balance there. Whatever is dancing was present with the backing dancers/gold set at the same time.

the estate of Michael Jackson has uploaded the holographic spectacular with new camera edits & close up shots..

If they keep working on these kinda thing's, i'm sure that in the future.. they will nail it :)

Strange, surely you can't license that Illusion, its been used for hundreds of years? Maybe they ran a variation of the trick, whatever they used was 2D, and probably projected onto an angled piece of film/glass same as peppers ghost, also none of the people on stage were real, or interacted with anyone real, they just made it look that way. Dunno, very strange xD

AD had licensed a particular flame-proof projection screen which no-one else apparently has. The original company developed it, and then AD bought the company.. something like that, anyway. I think the company also licensed the particular projector set up with precise angles to the screen etc...there were a few more technical details that were included in the license. But I agree, I don't think you can license a natural phenomenon, which 'pepper's ghost' is.

The side moonwalk after he went near the girl around the time LA Reid was shown was the only move I felt looked like him. Apart from that it really did lack the Jackson swagger and confidence he naturally gave off when he performed. Again not a hard thing to capture as he did CGI himself for Ghosts etc so they could've incorporated those moves into it but alas it wasn't to be. Lucky the press have responded so well to such a lacklustre effort.

Branca himself said he wanted this to feel like a live performance, also Michael never performed slave to the rhythm... he never danced to it, other than stomp his feet. With other song's, it would look completely different.. but it's a fantastic strategy to use a new song, and completely new technology.

AD had licensed a particular flame-proof projection screen which no-one else apparently has. The original company developed it, and then AD bought the company.. something like that, anyway. I think the company also licensed the particular projector set up with precise angles to the screen etc...there were a few more technical details that were included in the license. But I agree, I don't think you can license a natural phenomenon, which 'pepper's ghost' is.

Well I think this was the variation the argument was about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musion_Eyeliner and check this line:

"Because the system uses a thin film as its reflective surface, the screen is relatively low-cost and light-weight, and can cover a large area without seams (thus helping maintain the illusion); however, this lightness can make the screen vibrate due to atmospheric effects such as wind, when outdoors; or powerful sound systems, when indoors."

The "screen" was certainly shaking when the curtains opened, I bet there a so many little variations of the Peppers Ghost, like you said about natural phenomenon's, I think its a gray area with patents for this type of illlusion, but everything we saw, pointed to a variation of peppers.

Not really the hologram did the sidewalk pushing with his right foot to the left side but Mj only and always did with the left foot to the right side

I believe it was a decent performance. I don't know but it seemed 100% his body , I don't believe there was an impersonator.

it isnt its just the 3d motion when you pause it the face looks brilliant in motion its different facial recognition would be needed to 100% it, either way i thought it was BRILLIANT and its been put on DVD and it is in my collection

the estate of Michael Jackson has uploaded the holographic spectacular with new camera edits & close up shots..

If they keep working on these kinda thing's, i'm sure that in the future.. they will nail it :)

Haha, there is a hair-glitch starting 1:54 :)

I think the hologram would have benefited tremendously by "Michael" having a microphone to sign and hide his mouth

Not what I expected but It was a good performance after all, if it looked like this would have been even better
Got it from FB,:
2u62160.png

I think the CNN article is right on the money. Sure it's great to some, sure it's great promotion, I'm happy Michael is on top of the world again, with positivity. But as the article states, it lacked Michael's "Swagger". The walk he does down the stairs, imagine Michael doing it a different way, as seen in the TWYMMF Grammy performance. It just lacked Michael's swagger simply.

And I still don't think the body is a CGI image, just look at it. It's awfully strange how his t-shirt coincidentally, stretches in the proper direction when he raises his arms, as if someone is actually wearing it. The way the bottom of his jacket flares up when he picks up wind with his dance moves. The way the wrinkles in the arms of jacket also correspond with the movements he makes with his arms, again as if someone was actually wearing it. It's all too coincidental to me to be a CGI. And I know the difference between actual clothing and computer generated ones they use to recreate jerseys in NBA 2k commercials and Avatar.

People just expect us to take the Estates word for it. Like they thought we would for the "Michael" album...No, the Estate has earned this skepticism from Michael's fanbase, it's about time they wear it with pride.

it isnt its just the 3d motion when you pause it the face looks brilliant in motion its different facial recognition would be needed to 100% it, either way i thought it was BRILLIANT and its been put on DVD and it is in my collection

what's been to put onto dvd? if you mean the hologram, could i have the link? thanks

I think the CNN article is right on the money. Sure it's great to some, sure it's great promotion, I'm happy Michael is on top of the world again, with positivity. But as the article states, it lacked Michael's "Swagger". The walk he does down the stairs, imagine Michael doing it a different way, as seen in the TWYMMF Grammy performance. It just lacked Michael's swagger simply.

And I still don't think the body is a CGI image, just look at it. It's awfully strange how his t-shirt coincidentally, stretches in the proper direction when he raises his arms, as if someone is actually wearing it. The way the bottom of his jacket flares up when he picks up wind with his dance moves. The way the wrinkles in the arms of jacket also correspond with the movements he makes with his arms, again as if someone was actually wearing it. It's all too coincidental to me to be a CGI. And I know the difference between actual clothing and computer generated ones they use to recreate jerseys in NBA 2k commercials and Avatar.

People just expect us to take the Estates word for it. Like they thought we would for the "Michael" album...No, the Estate has earned this skepticism from Michael's fanbase, it's about time they wear it with pride.

Watch out for the Dancers shadows casting on his white T-shirt near the end as well, extremely natural.

I think if it was just the face CGI it would heve been better than this. I think the whole virtual Michael character is created with computer technology and without any impersonators or body doubles. If they had an impersonator the moonwalk would be better than this.

Also look at this scene from Terminator 4 where they CGI just Arnold's head. It looks million times better than MJ. If they just CGI MJ's face on impersonator body I think it would have been better (not the performance but the face).

Roland Kickinger is the body and they used Arnold's face from The Terminator 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLu_NTu4aY

Branca himself said he wanted this to feel like a live performance, also Michael never performed slave to the rhythm... he never danced to it, other than stomp his feet. With other song's, it would look completely different.. but it's a fantastic strategy to use a new song, and completely new technology.

I agree that how i see it too all new

Given that it didn't look or dance like Michael the same effect could have been achieved by sending an impersonator out there in person. It definitely lacked authenticity.

Many of us were probably expecting something like the Elvis hologram that Celine Dion performed with. Of course, that would be impossible because songs from Xscape would be out of the question.

Another thing that points out to me, that the body IS NOT CGI...It's wearing known, available "Michael" clothing, used by impersonators and Michael before them. Just in a different color Michael never wore. The pants it's wearing, are a different color variation, of the pants with buttons on them, which go with the leotard that impersonators use to simulate the Dangerous tour look. You can see the buttons around the groin area. His shoes, I thought he was wearing like red socks at first, then I realized it's just these in a different color variation...

2dabtk5.jpg

Look at the picture posted on this page, you can even see the part which goes under the shoe. Awfully coincidental that the CGI image also shares the same clothes as impersonators do.

Did not get that vibe at all. Other than what the guy does after he gets up from the throne, those slight movements with his hands. I know what you mean, though.

I also think the Tupac hologram had the element of surprise for a factor. Nobody knew it was going to happen until it actually did. We were told about this previously, and also blatantly lied to by being told that this would be made using "unseen footage" of Michael in the studio, unearthed by LA Reid...With that, we reasonably got our hopes up, and were reasonably disappointed. But I still think had this taken the Tupac route, as in being a complete surprise, I think a lot more of us would've been satisfied.

Dude now that i think about it some moves are totally similar to Captain Eo..

Didn't read all your comments - everybody can have a opinion about this event.

But what i thought the whole day....when the curtain got off und you saw the hologram/MJ sitting in his throne: that was such a powerful statement - FOREVER THE KING, BABY :D

ad_120994026.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back