Michael - Your Album Review + Poll

What is your rating for the Album? (5 is best)

Votes: 131 39.0%

Votes: 116 34.5%

Votes: 53 15.8%

Votes: 19 5.7%

Votes: 17 5.1%

• Total voters
Its not that I'm a loyal MJ fan, but seriously this is the best 'pop' album that has been released for many years by any artist, I think once the singles are released and the album gets air play, the album will do very well indeed. We need to look ahead, give it 12 months and will one the best selling albums for a long time, could even better Dangerous sales.

There isn't IMO a bad single on the album, I've always disliked HMH, but even that is growing on me.

this album should never have seen the light of day imo.

Hollywood Tonight vocals and the production on Behind The Mask are the only highlights for me.

hollywood tonight seems to be weird, a demo at best. mj vocals seems to be faint and in "Mono". strange poor effect..

behind the mask is the mj at his rawest. i would love to hear the original before the 2010 production

BEST OF JOY is weak? is that definately mj singing it?

KEEP UR HEAD UP - NOT MJ (SO OBVIOUS)

MONSTER - VERY POOR (IF IT WAS MJ I DONT THINK HE WOULD HAVE RELEASED THIS, TOO SIMILAR TO STYLE TO PREVIOUS SONGS)

BREAKING NEWS - SOUNDS WEAK NOW (AND NOT OVERALL MJ) MAY ASWELL BE A REMIX

ANOTHER DAY- UNFINISHED DEMO you would expect a crescendo

(You can hear the copy and pasted sighs/ad libs/ hiccups on the questionable tracks...whereas its more natural on the mj songs)

^ Thank you for the very bleak review haha. I have to disagree. All vocals ARE MJ. And this album is amazing, great songs.

The way you wrote this... hmmm, makes me question whether you are a fan or a troll?

It will do very well all over the world :)

Its not that I'm a loyal MJ fan, but seriously this is the best 'pop' album that has been released for many years by any artist, I think once the singles are released and the album gets air play, the album will do very well indeed. We need to look ahead, give it 12 months and will one the best selling albums for a long time, could even better Dangerous sales.

There isn't IMO a bad single on the album, I've always disliked HMH, but even that is growing on me.

:clapping::clapping:

Agree on everything. - Perfect album.

listened to the album twice back to back wearing headphones and sitting in the dark! (best way to feel the music imo) any below are my random thoughts

HMH i could only listen to it once as i find it impossible to listen to tracks from b4 09. tbh i prefer the melody of the leaked version.other than that its nice simply song

love hollywood tonight although theres been comments about a decoder thingy being used on mjs voice in this song and some others. voice sounds abit off in some places. but its a banging song that showed us where mj was heading *sigh*

best of joy has the same issues with the vocals. i know theres this whole debate about fake vocals but to me best of joy doesnt sound like mj at all. more decoder stuff? the song is nice in itself but i think u can tell it was a demo. seems that the song could have developed so much more. or probably would have done given the chance *sigh*

keep your head up was one song i wasnt to keen on when i first heard it. even though i like that style of music it just seemed like a poor mans r.kelly track. but it has grown on me very much and i actually like it quite alot now only after a couple of listens.

a couple of songs that i feel dont really fit the album are behind the mask and i like the way u love me. i like both songs although im not keen on behind the mask. i think the music ruins mjs vocals and that annoying he he that comes in after he sings each bit of the chorus really bugs me. i just feel that these songs seem out of place as they are the oldest songs on there and dont really fit with the modern sounding sound of the rest of the album much to soon doest count as its a basic song so doesnt sound dated in any way imo.i can understand behind the mask being used on the album as its a famous track and to hear mjs take is v intresting but it sounds so dated with the music and the way u love me is already known of so they could have used other songs imo. do u know where..would have fit perfectly on this album

monster. i adore this song. (mj or not) love the melody the chorus pretty much everything about it.
another day is another really good track that has grown on me

breaking news tbh im not a great fan of this track. dont like hearing mjs name in the vocals.but its a grower but the song fits on the album ie its style

over all its a really good album considering where we are. a couple of tweeks ie replacing a couple of tracks with something else could have made it a great album.but u can bet this "album" is better than half of the stuff out in the charts at present and that just sums up mjs greatness

Re: Michael - Album Review + Poll (corrected, Vote again)

Lol I'm already tired of this album, with exception of best of joy and behind the mask.

I voted a four, only because I would vote every other MJ album a five. Still, it's brilliant. I would completely give it a five maybe in a few years, I just feel those are reserved for the classics.

I voted a four, only because I would vote every other MJ album a five. Still, it's brilliant. I would completely give it a five maybe in a few years, I just feel those are reserved for the classics.

Precisely why I didn't vote a 5 either.

Voted 3

Hollywood Tonight, Best of Joy, Behind the Mask and Much Too Soon are the best, Breaking News is bad and Monster is not that bad though the vocals are just weird.The rest are good.

worst MJ album, but that's not a bad thing since all of the previous albums are extremely awesome, except maybe Invincible which is only awesome.

I voted 4.

I love:
1. Behind the mask
2. Much to soon
3. Hollywood tonight
I like:
4. The way you love me
5. Another day
6. Best of joy
7. Hold my hand
I don't like:
8. Monster
9. Keep your head up
10. Breaking news

I like the album :)

But can someone tell me why I hear dangerous tour live in the background of Behind The Mask???? 03:30 I hear the start of wanna be starting something live.... lol

I love the album but to be honest this is SO NOT an MJ type album. It's wayy too short, MJ's albums usually last more than one hour but I guess $ony got greedy. The melodies are really strong on practically every song. U can hear MJ is a melody and beat man! But the production is not up to his standard. We all know how demo's can change (just check dangerous, the song has the seem feel als the demo but wow! it sounds sooo different). But I guess this is what you get when other people finish your songs... In the end I'm just so goddamn happy with this album. Shows he still got it. And yup...it got ME DANCING IN THE ROOM ALL NIGHT!

best of joy has the same issues with the vocals. i know theres this whole debate about fake vocals but to me best of joy doesnt sound like mj at all. more decoder stuff? the song is nice in itself but i think u can tell it was a demo. seems that the song could have developed so much more. or probably would have done given the chance *sigh*

you must be joking.

There are only three tracks that I really like on this album:

Hollywood Tonight, Behind the Mask, Much Too Soon.

I rank those three up with some of Michael's best work. Most the other songs are quite weak. I thought I was going to like Another Day after the old snippet leak, but I just find it too repetitive.

Re: Michael - Rating

Good idea to make a new poll. - Now we can get an accurate answer.

This album is a clear 5 to me!

We open the album with the weakest song HMH - a duet with AKON. It's actually a great song, and every MJ album has a duet, and HMH is the duet of Michael! AKON is not a great singer - BUT what he can't deliver MJ can and more too!

The we move on to Hollywood Tonight!! - And wow, first we hear a choir, the the beat starts with MJ beatboxing! - Fantastic. When the first verse starts you are in awe! - This is one of the best songs on Michael, and maybe already one of my all time favorite songs!! MJ, sings uptempo, and great. It doesn't get much better than this.

Next is Keep Your Head up. A feel good, keep the faith kind of song. It's sweet, it's great, it's Michael... - Ends with a choir. A really great song. Nice feel, nice beat, vocals are MJ spot on.

Next is (I like) The Way You Love Me - a song that has already been released in 2004 on TUC. BUT - this version is very different. It starts with MJ talking about how he wants the song to be. The while he beatboxes the drum rhytm the song starts. Vocals are perfect. The drum and bass is heavy and great. - In my opinion a perfect finalized version of the song.

Then we move on to a true party starter - MONSTER!! - A killer song. Unmistakable MJ AUWWs, and a great MJ song. The chorus is great. Another great uptempo song with a perfect beat. If you have to say something negative it could be there maybe are too many effects. But no problem to me. I love the song.

So comes a slow song, Best Of Joy. Apparently the last song MJ ever recorded in 2009, mere weeks before his way to early passing. - This just proves that MJ was not done at all. A great falsetto song. It is simple, but yet complex and the production is great! A nice slow song.

Next comes Breaking News - much controversy has surrounded this song. BUT - that was before we heard the album version. The vocals are not so layered, the song is not so overproduced and MJ's voice is much more rogonicable. All doubt is gone - This is the king of Pop singing. And when focusing on the song and not the drama around it - it is a great song. It has the camera sounds like Privacy had it on 2001's Invincible. And the theme is the same. The bridge is also great and the production of this song is actually great.

(I can't take it) Another Day comes next. A song written and produced by Lenny Kravitz. A song that could easilly have been on Invincible IMH. It's great. In the league of Dirty Diana and Give In To Me. A nice guitar play, and a very heavy bas and drum line. All around - AMAZING song. The most Rock-kind of song from Michael.

Behind the Mask starts with a cheering crowd and a trumpet - then goes into an amazing beat. It's a real club-bangger. One of (if not the) best songs on the album. Great vocals and a great great beat. A classic MJ song.

To end the album a slow song has been choosen (like Lady In My Life on Thriller) and what a song. Much Too Soon. A very emotional song. A very simple composition. MJ singing with only very few instruments. And the result is unbelievable. This song is emotional like Ben, and maybe even better than Speechless. If you close your eyes and lie down on the bed this will bring tears to your eyes. What a wonderful way to end an album. It doesn't get any better.

Overall this album is a Masterpiece. If MJ is really dead or he has helped finalize this wonderful album will only add to the conspiracy theories. This sounds like a perfect MJ album. Something MJ would have been very proud of himself and something he would approve to be released.

10 out of 10

Uhm, could you please not hold back and tell us what you truly think? lol

4/5 for me!

I absolutely loved the album! but I only gave it a 4 because I have some doubts about Monster. i'm not sure if it's MJ or not. anyway still great song.

ok my review.
overall i loved the album. my favourite song is Hollywood Tonight. the starting of the choir and then MJ beat-boxing, WOW and that's just the start!

i have some opinions about Monster, like overproduction and whether it's MJ's voice or not. but overall I love all songs. Breaking News is much better than the original released teaser on MichaelJackson.com. Michael's voice is more clearer and the vocals don't seem as layered.

Ok guys I'll give you my full review soon when I listen to the album from start to finish. I've only listen to the songs from different order.

There are only three tracks that I really like on this album:

Hollywood Tonight, Behind the Mask, Much Too Soon.

I rank those three up with some of Michael's best work. Most the other songs are quite weak. I thought I was going to like Another Day after the old snippet leak, but I just find it too repetitive.

I don't like every song on the album, but I just can't agree that most of the other songs are weak.

I love the 3 you mentioned, but I also think that songs like I Like the Way You Love Me and Best of Joy are quite good, even if they aren't necessarily radio songs (Though Best of Joy would be interesting to see on R+B radio). The only songs I personally don't take the time to listen to are KYHU and Another Day, which I think is the weakest track. Everything else is quite listenable imo.

I would give the album, as constituted, a legit 3-3.5 stars. I really think MJ could have pulled off another 5-star album had he stayed with us.

Re: Michael - Album Review + Poll (corrected, Vote again)

I really think that MICHAEL is Thriller for 2010. The album is really really great.

1. Hold My Hand (The Girl Is Mine)
2. Hollywood Tonight (Billie Jean)
3. Another Day (Beat It)
4. Behind The Mask (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin')
5. Monster (Thriller)

I would release these 5 songs as singles.

Please never in your life compare Hollywood Tonight to Billie Jean, the greatest song ever made by anyone.

In the couple of days this has been leaked, my opinions have changed somewhat. Originally BOJ didn't do anything for me, but it's starting to grow on me. I wasn't overly enamoured with HT, but I'm liking it more and more. I actually quite like the kind of 'muffled' effect they've given his voice during the verses (or is that 'over-production'?).

BTM is still genius. I still get the urge to sing at the top of my voice "Who do you loooove?"

I really do like Monster as a song. I just WISH MJ sang it.

Still dont really like what they've done with TWYLM and MTS. Prefer the originals.

I'm really impressed by this album, but I won't rate it yet. I'll do that in a week or so when I've listened to it 100+ times and formed a proper opinion. Now utter awe and joy is the only thing I feel when listening, just to hear his voice and emotion again.

My current favourite songs:
1. Behind the Mask (pure genius)
2. Best of Joy (sooo sweet)
3. Monster (great lyrics, beat and flow)
4. Keep your head up (an underrated beauty already)
5. Another Day (Rock it Michael, I love his angry voice)
6. Much too Soon (so pure, and lovely vocals)
7. Hollywood Tonight (Great beatboxing and beat. I guess this is a grower, I don't like the spoken part that much. The whisting is great)
8. Breaking News (underrated, nice and angry, love it. Tainted by controversy though)
9. Hold my Hand (cute, but a bit boring. I don't care much for Akon's style)
10. The Way You Love Me (love the intro, but the whoohoowing I dislike, it's a bit annoying. Overall an ok mellow song.)

:wild::wild::wild::clapping::clapping::clapping: :wub::wub::wub:

OMG!!!! I freakin LOVE this album!!! No! Love isn't a strong enough word!!! I can't go to bed because I can't stop listening, and it's almost 4 in the morning here!!! Wow!!!!!!! I can't wait to buy it!!!!
:wild::clapping::wild::clapping::wild::clapping::wild::clapping:

Re: Michael - Rating

Good idea to make a new poll. - Now we can get an accurate answer.

This album is a clear 5 to me!

We open the album with the weakest song HMH - a duet with AKON. It's actually a great song, and every MJ album has a duet, and HMH is the duet of Michael! AKON is not a great singer - BUT what he can't deliver MJ can and more too!

The we move on to Hollywood Tonight!! - And wow, first we hear a choir, the the beat starts with MJ beatboxing! - Fantastic. When the first verse starts you are in awe! - This is one of the best songs on Michael, and maybe already one of my all time favorite songs!! MJ, sings uptempo, and great. It doesn't get much better than this.

Next is Keep Your Head up. A feel good, keep the faith kind of song. It's sweet, it's great, it's Michael... - Ends with a choir. A really great song. Nice feel, nice beat, vocals are MJ spot on.

Next is (I like) The Way You Love Me - a song that has already been released in 2004 on TUC. BUT - this version is very different. It starts with MJ talking about how he wants the song to be. The while he beatboxes the drum rhytm the song starts. Vocals are perfect. The drum and bass is heavy and great. - In my opinion a perfect finalized version of the song.

Then we move on to a true party starter - MONSTER!! - A killer song. Unmistakable MJ AUWWs, and a great MJ song. The chorus is great. Another great uptempo song with a perfect beat. If you have to say something negative it could be there maybe are too many effects. But no problem to me. I love the song.

So comes a slow song, Best Of Joy. Apparently the last song MJ ever recorded in 2009, mere weeks before his way to early passing. - This just proves that MJ was not done at all. A great falsetto song. It is simple, but yet complex and the production is great! A nice slow song.

Next comes Breaking News - much controversy has surrounded this song. BUT - that was before we heard the album version. The vocals are not so layered, the song is not so overproduced and MJ's voice is much more rogonicable. All doubt is gone - This is the king of Pop singing. And when focusing on the song and not the drama around it - it is a great song. It has the camera sounds like Privacy had it on 2001's Invincible. And the theme is the same. The bridge is also great and the production of this song is actually great.

(I can't take it) Another Day comes next. A song written and produced by Lenny Kravitz. A song that could easilly have been on Invincible IMH. It's great. In the league of Dirty Diana and Give In To Me. A nice guitar play, and a very heavy bas and drum line. All around - AMAZING song. The most Rock-kind of song from Michael.

Behind the Mask starts with a cheering crowd and a trumpet - then goes into an amazing beat. It's a real club-bangger. One of (if not the) best songs on the album. Great vocals and a great great beat. A classic MJ song.

To end the album a slow song has been choosen (like Lady In My Life on Thriller) and what a song. Much Too Soon. A very emotional song. A very simple composition. MJ singing with only very few instruments. And the result is unbelievable. This song is emotional like Ben, and maybe even better than Speechless. If you close your eyes and lie down on the bed this will bring tears to your eyes. What a wonderful way to end an album. It doesn't get any better.

Overall this album is a Masterpiece. If MJ is really dead or he has helped finalize this wonderful album will only add to the conspiracy theories. This sounds like a perfect MJ album. Something MJ would have been very proud of himself and something he would approve to be released.

10 out of 10

:yes::clapping: THIS!!! I've never completely agreed with an album review before, but yours is spot on!! I agree, and you said it much better than I ever could!

Keep your head up is so beautiful. Michael singing in falsetto "Keep your head up" is just so...beautiful. :cry:

Last edited:
i voted 4 because of all the contraversy over the other man singing breaking news :yes:

Album is allright! Full of melodies.. But the production is tooo thin.. That's because the combination of Bruce Swedien and Bernie Grundman is missing..

If you listen carefully, MJ's other albums were always in your face! And every instrument had it's place. Michaels voice had more body.. And the beats were extraordinary THICK.

In my opinion the mix and the mastering of this new album is lacking. It's too chaotic. Could be much better. Especially a song like Hollywood Tonight. I would have done it differently.. Much more in the spirit of Michael. Especially the voice of MJ could be bodied more..

I hope y'all know what I mean..

My favourites are:

1. Hollywood Tonight
2. Man Behind The Mask (beautiful saxophone!!!!!)
3. Another Day

Best Of Joy is growing on me.. Makes me think of a BeeGees song.. Beautiful harmonies..

1. Behind the Mask - the Bucharest crowd noise is ruin the song, else best.
2. Another Day - very similar to We've had enough, since recorded in the same period.
3. Much too Soon - great ending for the album

the rest to me is garbage, but the teenys going to like them.

Overall, I'd give it a 3.5 or 4/5. The reason for that is because I'm not entirely comfortable with the release of these songs without the finishing touches of Michael himself. The overall flow of the album is sort of strange to me and the production of the songs is.. questionable. I hear a lot of extra effects that aren't necessarily needed, but meh..

Hold My Hand- A feel good, reach out to your neighbor, type of song. Enjoyed it since the leak and I'm enjoying this "finished" version.

Hollywood Tonight- Definitely a song that's been growing on me. The beatbox is engaging and the overall tempo/feeling of the song is upbeat. One of the couple of songs that I really feel should be a single.

Keep Your Head Up- Another feel-good song. Personally, I don't care for it too much, but I'm just not into these type of songs. The MJ vocals are good here though, so I'm not really questioning the authenticity of this one too much.

The Way You Love Me- I've never heard this one before even though it's been released for some time now. This one has been starting to grow on me a bit because of the drum and bass in the background. The intro is fun to listen to as well, with MJ beatboxing how he wants the drums to sound like.

Monster- Personally, I'm not entirely digging this song like many others are. The song overall has a "Threatened" sort of feel to me and the vocals are throwing me off because of all the effects. At some parts, it doesn't sound like MJ to me (just my personal opinion). The rap part sounds pretty much like every other rap part on MJ's songs, which have never really been particularly appealing to me. So overall, not digging it so far. Maybe it'll grow on me, who knows.

Best of Joy- Another bright/happy feeling song, which made me feel better after listening to Monster.. A lot of falsetto in this song, which I find interesting to hear. Might grow on me.

Breaking News- Oh boy.. This song again haha. The version on the album does indeed sound different than the one that Sony first released for preview, to me at least(Maybe I'm just crazy). Doesn't sound quite as overproduced like it did before, but the parts where he sings "Michael Jackson" still throws me off. So overall, it's an engaging song, but I just can't find myself to trust/like it.

Another Day- A song I had high expectations for after listening to the leaked snippet. The beats in the song are great, but it gets far too repetitive after a while. The lyrics aren't up to M.J standards at all; I really got the "incomplete" feel from this song. I believe if MJ had the chance to work on this, it would be a hit.

Behind The Mask- Definitely one of my favorites, if not my favorite, song on the album. The saxophone at the intro is great, though the song could do without the audience noise.. If I'm not mistaken, this song is from the Thriller-era, and it does give the 80's sound/feel to me. Great vocals and beat :)

Much Too Soon- Beautiful song with only instruments and Michael singing, none of the overproduced effects like the other songs on the album. Has that typical "slow" song feel to it and I think it's a great ending to the album.

All in all, I feel that the album was far too overproduced but considering the state that most songs were in, I suppose it's an adequate attempt. I personally don't think MJ would've wanted this to be released, but there are a couple of gems on this album (for me at least): Hollywood Tonight, The Way You Love Me, and Behind The Mask.

I gave it a 4. Some songs are really cool, like, classical Michael and some sound so edited and almost fake.

It's better than Invisincble!

Back