MJ Estate Statement Re: Justin Bieber Slave To The Rhythm Recording. [Merged]

I loved reading all the misinformed people posting comments saying that Michael Jackson gave the song to Justin in 2008 or 2009 when he wasn't even known back then...

I have totally lost all respect for this Justin kid however little I had for him in the first place. He's actually being very selfish. I want Michael's track to rise to the top not a sloppy club remix with Bieber's vocals tacked on. Also, so many Justin Bieber fans are praising him for this?! It's super dumb.

Oh hell naw! Bieber? You've got to be kidding me!
images

Me too Maral :busted:

Didn't Justin Bieber imply on his Twitter or through a fan email that someone gave it to him to record? Did we ever discover who that "someone" was?

Whoever was involved that initiated this, isn't going to admit to it now.

Didn't Justin Bieber imply on his Twitter or through a fan email that someone gave it to him to record? Did we ever discover who that "someone" was?

That someone was Rodney Jerkins, Bieber was replying to a fan's tweet who mentioned Jerkins. Which is why this doesn't make sense.

GreenEyes;3891371 said:

KingMikeJ;3891376 said:
That someone was Rodney Jerkins, Bieber was replying to a fan's tweet who mentioned Jerkins. Which is why this doesn't make sense.

Jw224;3891398 said:
Well, this is just getting more complicated....someone needs to start talking lol

We have learned who was behind this song from Damien sheilds blog. (Its Posted above) Tricky Stewart is the producer who worked on "Slave To The Rhythm" for the Estate in 2010. This is the version many fans have of Michael singing it, because the song also leaked under his watch at that time.

Max Methods, the producer who remixed Michael Jackson’s “Slave To The Rhythm” as a duet with Justin Bieber, revealed to Damien Shields, who was behind the track being recorded by Justin Bieber.

“I work with Tricky Stewart. He signed me to his label Red Zone Ent. and had me re-produce the record, He also had Justin [Bieber] record new vocals. I do not know how it leaked.” ~ Max Methods

I guess people were too angry at the situation. I know I was but I wouldn't insult them. Don't know what people said but I guess they just couldn't control themselves. Again, don't know what they said, so I can't speak for them.

i think the "hatin" towards the Estate was pent up frustration over the *silence* that we were met with. It took awhile before we got some kind of response, and that was a vague one. That left people even more frustrated, led to people speculating, which gave us more questions than answers. Answers that we still haven't got, i might add.
IMO people aren't "hating" on the Estate for possibly considering turning MJ songs into duets. IMO they're "hating" because the Estate just hasnt/isnt that good in doing prompt replies. Man, hours after the leak was official, they could've issued a statement, and BOOM that would have been it....

just my IMO

Who manages Michaeljackson.com? The Estate?

I checked, there is nothing about this song... Wierd.

There is a NEWS section...

Sure we do not know for sure, but based on the 2 emails I am not confused.

Well, that's because you are interpreting these e-mails and are satisfied with your interpretation. The e-mails don't say anything about the real initiator of this mess. So we still don't know whose decision it was, to record this new version of the song.

Last edited:
I don't get it? Why all the hating. Yes I agree justin beiber isn't really the one anyone wants on an mj track. But..... Is it not better that news are covering mjs music for once. It's been awful with the trial and all the bad things we hear about mj all the time. At the end of the day there is no denying this song is great and it would chart high. So for once as it is positive and about the music! The reason we love him! For once can't we be happy! If the estate was clever they would release this ASAP as this would chart all around the world and you get people because of beiber would be listening to mj! God. So depressing on here!

It's not great though. Michaels version can be considered such if you wish, but please tell me whats great about removing the majority of Michaels own vocals only to replace them with those of a modern pop star who is barely above average?

Who cares about charts other than the Estate? Sure, it makes a lot of cash for them that they can "give to Michael's children", but at the expense of literally whoring his music? Like, is it really worth it?

When Michael was here, considering how much music he made.. He had a very small amount of leaks.. The percentage definitely went up after he passed! We really can't trust too much with anything mj related now.. I mean its human nature to take advantage for self benefit..

There's only 3 people I would trust with his music right now... Paris, prince, blanket.. Unfortunately there age and experience does not warrent them to protect his music the best way. Not to mention how people could try to manipulate them!

That said.. There's really no one right now that we can trust to protect mjs legacy.. Thankfully he grew that legacy on a solid ground that is unbreakable..

There's nothing that could ruins his legacy at this point because of that, all of us want to hear new mj on the radio and would love new success for him.. All in all if nothing ever was released again or millions of leaks were out..

His legacy is king! End of story

Most importantly, I think you have to take everything surrounding it into account, such as Bieber tweeting about MJ during the leak, and Max Methods tweeting about being honoured to work on the track (suggesting he was asked to do so) and saying that it was unfortunate the record leaked "before it was ready" (implying that it was supposed to be released).

Yes. The same Max Methods whose words to Damien Shields are now quoted as proof that it wasn't the Estate who had this idea of "dueting" MJ and Bieber, initially wrote this on his Twitter:

Maxmethods ?@MaxMethods 2h
Wow.been getting hit up abt this @MichaelJackson Ft. @Justinbieber record all day. I have so much respect for the Jackson Estate and...

it was an honor to work on this record....but its unfortunate that the record leaked before it was ready.

So it's still not very straightforward as to what is meant in either in these tweets or in the interview to Damien Shields.

I do not mind if people want to jump to that conclusion on the basis of this, but it does bother me a bit if others are being told off for doing the same thing (except reaching a different conclusion) or for simply having doubts.

Exactly.

maybe our message to bieber, very similar to this,...

[youtube]0uQCJ6PzRdA[/youtube]

"You Haven't Done Nothing"

We are amazed but not amused
By all the things you say that you'll do
Though much concerned but not involved
With decisions that are made by you

But we are sick and tired of hearing your song
Telling how you are gonna change right from wrong
'Cause if you really want to hear our views
"You haven't done nothing"!

It's not too cool to be ridiculed
But you brought this upon yourself
The world is tired of pacifiers
We want the truth and nothing else

And we are sick and tired of hearing your song

Jackson 5 join along with me say
Doo doo wop - hey hey hey
Doo doo wop - wow wow wow
Doo doo wop - co co co
Doo doo wop - naw naw naw
Doo doo wop - bum bum bum
Doo doo wop

We would not care to wake up to the nightmare
That's becoming real life
But when mislead who knows a person's mind
Can turn as cold as ice un hum

Why do you keep on making us hear your song
Telling us how you are changing right from wrong
Yeah

Jackson 5 sing along again say
Doo doo wop
Doo doo wop - oh
Doo doo wop - co co co
Doo doo wop - sing it baby
Doo doo wop - um
Sing it loud for your people say
Doo doo wop - um um um

Doo doo wop - stand up be counted, say
Doo doo wop - co co co
Doo doo wop - ow
Doo doo wop - ah hum

maybe our message to bieber, very similar to this,...

[youtube]0uQCJ6PzRdA[/youtube]

"You Haven't Done Nothing"

We are amazed but not amused
By all the things you say that you'll do
Though much concerned but not involved
With decisions that are made by you

But we are sick and tired of hearing your song

It's not too cool to be ridiculed
But you brought this upon yourself
The world is tired of pacifiers
We want the truth and nothing else

And we are sick and tired of hearing your song

Jackson 5 join along with me say
Doo doo wop - hey hey hey
Doo doo wop - wow wow wow
Doo doo wop - co co co
Doo doo wop - naw naw naw
Doo doo wop

We would not care to wake up to the nightmare
That's becoming real life
But when mislead who knows a person's mind
Can turn as cold as ice un hum

Why do you keep on making us hear your song
Telling us how you are changing right from wrong
Yeah

Jackson 5 sing along again say
Doo doo wop
Doo doo wop - oh
Doo doo wop - co co co
Doo doo wop - sing it baby
Doo doo wop - um
Sing it loud for your people say
Doo doo wop - um um um

Doo doo wop - stand up be counted, say
Doo doo wop - co co co
Doo doo wop - ow
Doo doo wop - ah hum

Some of that does apply, pretty cool lol.

I really wonder why many fans and people think the Jacksons are the Estate. Beiber said Michael's family gave him permission to do the song and some fans use that tweet as a proof they authorized it. The Jacksons are not the Estate fortunately.

Stupid wondering perhaps...

I highly doubt that would happen. It's been almost half a decade since Michael's death (wow times flies) and this is the only time such a thing has happened so the chances of it happening often are quite slim.

This is not the only time this has happened since Michaels been gone. The Cascio thing? Different methods but the same effect of exploiting Michael's image leading to a negative effect. The Opus, This Is It the song, all branded as unreleased, new material when it actually wasn't. Teddy Riley's production of Hollywood Tonight? They're different yet one in the same. They showed no sympathy for Michael's wishes, the seriousness that he took in every aspect of his work, and his desire for perfection and all for the sake of what? Money.

I really want to hear the original HT, I heard Teddy made some very stupid decisions while remixing it. And I would also like someone to own up about the Cascio thing, obviously that is never going to happen...but, I can dream :p

Aren't you jumping to conclusions here yourself though? All that Max Methods has said is that he works with Tricky Stewart and that Tricky had him re-produce the record. How can you come to the certain conclusion from this that Tricky must have acted on his own and illegally commissioned this track to be remixed? For all we know this remark could just as well mean that Max Methods was asked by Tricky to re-produce the track, since he works for him, after Tricky was asked by the Estate to work on this. I know from other discussions we have had that you are always really cautious about accusing someone of something illegal without 100% proof, so unless you know more than we do, I just do not see how you can reach such a firm conclusion in this instance.

To be clear: I myself have no problem with people speculating and debating over different scenarios so I do not mind what you are saying at all and of course see where you are coming from - it could very well be the case. But if you are going to start lecturing other people on how to behave, then I think the least you can do is to apply that standard to yourself as well.

first of all let's be clear about something, I have problems with people accusing other people with no information. Saying "Estate behind this. let's hate the evil Estate, I won't buy the next album" and so on when you have absolutely no idea how this happened is highly problematic. If you go back and check my posts you will see that I never made assumptions on my own and I never started a negativity and hate campaign. (I don't have single anger and hate filled comment about Estate, Bieber, Max, Tricky or Jenkins.) I reported and commented what people with direct knowledge and information sources said. It was Justin Bieber who dm'd a fan of his - totally confirmed- and said Jackson family gave it to him. It was the DJ Max who said Tricky Stewart gave it to him.

The rest of this discussion - excuse for being blunt and I'm not talking about you personally and this is not limited to you - is becoming somewhat conspiracy theorist. Parties make clear and brief statements and people keep looking for more behind the statements in an attempt that seems like an trying to find an excuse to hate the Estate. Here we have Max saying Tricky gave him the song but somehow it's not enough and we are supposed to make assumptions and saying "noo it doesn't mean that, perhaps this happened, perhaps that happened" and all of that assumptions is done in a way to tie the Estate to the recording and/or leak. Don't you see a trend here? To me it doesn't read like a group of people speculating and being clear that it's nothing more than a speculation, it reads like a deliberate attempt of "how can we tie this to the estate and act like it's factual so that we have a reason to hate them or promote a boycott of future releases".

And in another honesty, this is - I believe- one of the reasons Estate doesn't give us detailed explanations. I mean why would they? Even the basic statements are ignored, not believed or subjected to hidden meanings and assumptions.

first of all let's be clear about something, I have problems with people accusing other people with no information. Saying "Estate behind this. let's hate the evil Estate, I won't buy the next album" and so on when you have absolutely no idea how this happened is highly problematic. If you go back and check my posts you will see that I never made assumptions on my own and I never started a negativity and hate campaign. (I don't have single anger and hate filled comment about Estate, Bieber, Max, Tricky or Jenkins.) I reported and commented what people with direct knowledge and information sources said. It was Justin Bieber who dm'd a fan of his - totally confirmed- and said Jackson family gave it to him. It was the DJ Max who said Tricky Stewart gave it to him.

The rest of this discussion - excuse for being blunt and I'm not talking about you personally and this is not limited to you - is becoming somewhat conspiracy theorist. Parties make clear and brief statements and people keep looking for more behind the statements in an attempt that seems like an trying to find an excuse to hate the Estate. Here we have Max saying Tricky gave him the song but somehow it's not enough and we are supposed to make assumptions and saying "noo it doesn't mean that, perhaps this happened, perhaps that happened" and all of that assumptions is done in a way to tie the Estate to the recording and/or leak. Don't you see a trend here? To me it doesn't read like a group of people speculating and being clear that it's nothing more than a speculation, it reads like a deliberate attempt of "how can we tie this to the estate and act like it's factual so that we have a reason to hate them or promote a boycott of future releases".

And in another honesty, this is - I believe- one of the reasons Estate doesn't give us detailed explanations. I mean why would they? Even the basic statements are ignored, not believed or subjected to hidden meanings and assumptions.

If they had given us a detailed explanation, and not a brief, vague one. Then nobody would have anything to over analyse, or go into "conspiracy" territory with. Although I do agree with most of what you said.

If they had given us a detailed explanation, and not a brief, vague one. Then nobody would have anything to over analyse, or go into "conspiracy" territory with. Although I do agree with most of what you said.

excuse me but people started blaming the Estate the minute they heard the leak and before any statement was released. It's not like people like "let's wait what the Estate will say", it was "oh evil Estate , let's hate them, let's discuss a boycott" before any statement. So that's what I'm talking about accusations with no information to back it up. And even now when you have two parties that said "His family gave it to me" and "Tricky Stweart gave it to me", we are somehow still required to look for hidden ties to the Estate. and that's conspiracy territory my friend.

excuse me but people started blaming the Estate the minute they heard the leak and before any statement was released. It's not like people like "let's wait what the Estate will say", it was "oh evil Estate , let's hate them, let's discuss a boycott" before any statement. So that's what I'm talking about accusations with no information to back it up. And even now when you have two parties that said "His family gave it to me" and "Tricky Stweart gave it to me", we are somehow still required to look for hidden ties to the Estate. and that's conspiracy territory my friend.

Yes, I suppose you are right about some people jumping on the let's hate the estate bandwagon.

Parties make clear and brief statements and people keep looking for more behind the statements in an attempt that seems like an trying to find an excuse to hate the Estate. Here we have Max saying Tricky gave him the song but somehow it's not enough and we are supposed to make assumptions and saying "noo it doesn't mean that, perhaps this happened, perhaps that happened" and all of that assumptions is done in a way to tie the Estate to the recording and/or leak. Don't you see a trend here? To me it doesn't read like a group of people speculating and being clear that it's nothing more than a speculation, it reads like a deliberate attempt of "how can we tie this to the estate and act like it's factual so that we have a reason to hate them or promote a boycott of future releases".

EXACTLY!!!!! Thank you Ivy. Every word that has a simple meaning in English, suddenly becomes unclear when one wants to use the estate as the target for blame. The first statement is confusing. The second statement is confusing. Then the beginning pages of the thread shows an attack on the estate, so the claim by someone that this only started when they did not get a response from the estate immediately is nonsense.

The thing is people want to blame the estate, so they will look for any argument that shows the estate is the culprit.

It would have been so much more reasonable to discuss what Biber did, what he said, what the producers tweeted and then find some adult way to gain further proof, if people were interested in justice. Rather I see a verbal "lynching."

Then, people are constantly searching for the song and Biber, so what do you think if hundreds of people are searching for a song and Biber on the internet? The estate is taking down the song, and someone here explained the difficulties involved due to more people uploading or changing the song somewhat, etc. Yet, after this explanation, you still have people complaining that the estate is really not taking down the song fast enough.

The worst is that adults, because I assume most people here are 18+, are arguing with some little teens on the internet. This is embarrassing. All you need to do is post the adult comments that the song has complete Michel vocals, that it was unauthorized, etc., and leave it at that. Now due to some immaturity from adults you have little kids cussing you out and now have negative feelings about Micheal. Maybe it is wise, to think before one acts.

No matter what anyone thinks, it is the little teens of today that continue Michael's legacy into the future, after we are all old and gone. This does not mean that we should allow Bieber to erase Michel's vocals and insert his own. This does not mean the estate should treat Michels songs or future albums with disrespect. This does not mean that producers should be leaking unauthorized songs. However, we can still correct the ideas of the little teens, and still maintain some dignity while at the same time allowing them to maintain some interest & curiosity for Michael. It all depends on the way we do things.

They simply need to communicate with us more often. We are the consumers of their products. We have the right to know so we can say: "ooh, that's how the cookie crumbles!"

We are MJ's fans and he loved us. The estate is not exactly showing love towards us. We need to know what's up after the fiasco in 2010. With THIS IS IT they did an AWESOME job, I just wish that they could go by the same route after that.

Can you understand the way we feel ivy? They disappoint us all the time. It seems like you're defending the estate all the time. Things could have been better you know.

Period.

Parties make clear and brief statements and people keep looking for more behind the statements in an attempt that seems like an trying to find an excuse to hate the Estate. Here we have Max saying Tricky gave him the song but somehow it's not enough and we are supposed to make assumptions and saying "noo it doesn't mean that, perhaps this happened, perhaps that happened" and all of that assumptions is done in a way to tie the Estate to the recording and/or leak.

Though you are right about jumping to conclusions, but the situation is not as clear as you say. Now the second comment (to Damien Shields) of Max Methods is quoted as proof for the non-involvement of the Estate while his first comment on Twitter - where he actually mentions the Estate - is ignored.

Wow.been getting hit up abt this @MichaelJackson Ft. @Justinbieber record all day. I have so much respect for the Jackson Estate and...

it was an honor to work on this record....but its unfortunate that the record leaked before it was ready.

Putting both of those comments together we can see that the situation is far from clear. Even as to what Max Methods is saying.

In all fairness to all sides, we really don't know enough to pass judgment on anyone.. I see a lot of assumptions going on! I've assumed too.. But we really don't know the deal.. Yes we've been left to wonder, but that doesn't fill in the blanks for us..

If there's new material on an mj project I'm buying.. Simple lol

Ouch.. long post:

You make it seem now as if the people who argued that the Estate could be involved were not doing that on the basis of information, but this is completely untrue. If you read their posts, you will see a myriad of reasons, completely grounded in the available information, to support that position (such as the comments by Max Methods that respect77 just posted again). They simply draw a different conclusion from the available information than you do. Again, I am not saying that you are necessarily wrong about Tricky Stewart being responsible for this on his own, but you simply cannot proof that this is the case either at this point.

Also, you were lecturing people about not jumping to conclusions, but then do just that yourself when you say "now that we learned this got nothing to do with MJ Estate and it was all Tricky Stweart's doing." Again, I have no problem with you or anyone else jumping to the conclusion that Tricky Stewart was responsible, but then also allows others to draw their own conclusions.

You say the Estate gave a clear statement, but it is not so clear to many of us, especially in light of all the other information available. Yes, Max says Tricky gave him the song. How does that in any way proof that the Estate is not involved? He does not say "Yeah, Tricky had the track lying around since 2010 and thought it would be cool to do something with it. Nah, the Estate did not ask us to do this, it was just Tricky's idea." No, he simply says he got the song from Tricky. It says nothing about whether Tricky decided to do this on his own. Max works for Tricky. Whether Tricky was commissioned by the Estate to make this duet or not, Max was always going to 'get the song from Tricky'. When you then look at his tweets (as respect77 reposted), it seems obvious to me that you yourself are making all kinds of assumptions to conclude from this that Tricky must definitely be responsible for all of this.

As for your point about a conspiracy theory. Firstly, I think the conspiracy theorist card is incredibly petty to pull in a situation where there is no clear proof what exactly happened. Casting a group of people as a bunch of lunatics just detracts from a healthy debate. Secondly, if you want to talk about a conspiracy, let's take a step back here and see what people on the extreme ends of the spectrum are alledging here.

People who think the Estate is involved: they claim that the Estate, at least at some point, asked for this 'duet' to be recorded. A creative decision many of us do not like, but which does not seem completely unreasonable, given that rumours of a possible duet project have been around for quite a while and the fact that the Estate has shown with prior releases that they think they need to 'modernize' Michael's songs in order to gain mass appeal. Whether you like him or not, Justin Bieber is someone who draws attention, so it seems plausible the Estate considered this idea somewhere during the past 4 years.

People who think Tricky Stewart did this on his own: they claim that Tricky Stewart himself decided to ask Justin Bieber to record vocals for a duet, despite not having permission from the Estate to use Michael's vocals. Motivations mentioned vary, but some of the reasons are that him and/or Justin Bieber just want attention, that their track was turned down by the Estate and that they are angry about this now and therefore leaked it, and that he deliberatly is trying to harm Michael's reputation.

Which of these claims sounds more outlandish to you? The idea that the Estate makes a bad creative decision or the idea that Tricky Stewart, despite having worked successfully with the Estate before, suddenly decides to illegally use Michael's vocals for a duet with Justin Bieber which the Estate never asked for and is thus unlikely to ever release? I should also add that although I do not care for Justin Bieber's music whatsoever, he is a big name in the industry at the moment. Why would Tricky get him in the studio to waste time on an illegal remix that was never likely to be released anyway?

Just for the record: I do not see people on either side of the fence as conspiracy theorists. I myself think it is quite likely that the Estate was at one point involved with this recording, but definitely see that it is also possible they were not. We just do not know enough at the moment.

Why would they give us detailed explanations? Because it is their job to represent Michael Jackson, maybe? A job which entails communicating in a clear, unambigous fashion with his fanbase?

[if anyone actually reads this until here, I truly am sorry for wasting your time. :lol: ]

Last edited:
They simply need to communicate with us more often. We are the consumers of their products. We have the right to know so we can say: "ooh, that's how the cookie crumbles!"

We are MJ's fans and he loved us. The estate is not exactly showing love towards us. We need to know what's up after the fiasco in 2010. With THIS IS IT they did an AWESOME job, I just wish that they could go by the same route after that.

Can you understand the way we feel ivy? They disappoint us all the time. It seems like you're defending the estate all the time. Things could have been better you know.

Period.

'This is it' the film was a flat out lie. 2 hours cleverly edited to make it look like Michael was there and alert 100% of the time when we know that wasn't true. The Estate also had nothing to do with that film I believe, it was a AEG/Sony edited product. The Estate didn't really make the film if you get what I'm saying. "Discover the man you never knew"? What a load of bull.

Things can ALWAYS be better. Michael taught us that himself through his perfectionist ways. I'd hardly call Bad 25 disc 2 a appointment too. Michael and Vision were just crap. But everything after is slowly improving, they aren't going to get it 100% right every time catering to every fans/publics need.

One quick question; what does JB/MJ comparison pics have to do with a duet? They were unnecessary and just used spitefully.

Back