> MJ News Online will be closing January 18, 2008

SunsetDriver

Proud Member
MJ News Online will be closing January 18, 2008

Dear Members,

It is with some sadness that I announce the closure of MJ News Online, on Friday, January 18, 2008 - the end of next week.

I know this announcement will come as a shock to many, but I've come to the realization there's really no "right time" to do this. But I think that personally, with my 22nd birthday quickly approaching, and the various other changes that are taking place in my life, now is the right time.

About a year ago I attempted to resign from MJNO, handing it off to be managed by someone else. For many various reasons, with both parties, and things going on in both our lives, it didn't work out, and very shortly after (with no announcement) I took back management of MJNO.

This was a time when I wanted, and needed to leave. There were 2 options: continue MJNO (and disregard my personal, professional plans), or close it, and disappoint quite literally thousands of fans. I opted for the latter, hoping that I could somehow get a handle of the numerous things I wanted to pursue, as well as keep MJNO alive and kicking, and forever expanding.

It was a naive decision, but not one that I regret given how relatively nice the last year has been.

I've certainly reached a point in my life where it's time to just put my foot down, and move on, and do something for myself. Creating the largest Michael Jackson fan community ever, and the surrounding endeavors I've pursued with this club have opened up a lot of doors for me, and it's time to knock some of them down.

I could go on for hours about how much joy I've received from this site, from producing our magazines, and events, and whatnot; and certainly how at the age of 16, producing a few Michael Jackson webpages in my bedroom, I never envisioned what would come of it - something truly great, crossing all boundaries and borders, bringing literally thousands of people together in their fandom of the King of Pop.

It is coming up to 6 years now, and I am proud of what I've achieved here, and proud of what our team members have achieved, and proud of what you all have been able to make happen in our unwavering support for Michael Jackson.

As the saying goes, all good things come to an end, and this had to have happened at some time. I ask only one thing of you: to respect my decision, and to let me lay MJNO down to rest. This club is a reflection of me, and will forever be associated with me, and it would be impossible for me to move on if it continued without me - I hope for your understanding, and that I won't have to justify myself beyond this.

I cherish this site, this club, so no matter how bad you feel about its closure, I must feel worse. But at the same time, I am extremely excited to move on to much bigger, and better things. There's no demise for this club like so many before us, each and every day we're in our prime. This simply is a life decision for me, and one I had made long ago.

I cannot answer your questions as to where you'll go from here. I would personally suggest www.mjjcommunity.com, which is a wonderful site, with a nice team, and a nice atmosphere - but the choice is yours. I hope that this announcement gives you enough notice to take all the necessary details from your friends that you've made here, to keep in contact.

I trust the mods will be able to answer any questions you may have on our closing, and I'd like to say that I am confident the fan community will flourish in our absence; it was here long before MJNO, and will be here long after us, and I truly believe Michael's return will be unprecedented.

There are so many people I'd like to thank, but I'll leave that for a little later. For now:

Goodnight, and farewell.

Paul Akinbanjo
Founder & Fanclub President,
MJ News Online

We'll leave this thread opened for members' comments and thoughts about the closure of MJNO. Leave nice messages to Paul and his team. They've done so much in these 6 years for the MJ fans' community.
We won't tolerate any bashing of each other, Paul or MJNO's Team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. So many changes. Paul, I wish you luck in your new endeavors, whatever they may be, and was greatful for a place to go when MJJC was not running yet. Like Trish, you created a great community.

I wish Paul the best of luck in all he does.. MJNO was the first MJ site I joined it's sad it is closing but people do need to move on at times, and he feel he needs to. So good luck Paul :)

I best go tell him on his forum :eek:

I think everyone will venture over here.. wow this place will be buzzing :lol:

wow thats sad. the irony is that i was telling some friends the other day (non fans) how mjno has been with us so long and contrary to mjjf it wont be closing anytime soon (seeing as it has so many active members and so much success in general). i am shocked!

certainly surprised. well lets hope it makes this place abit busy cause the online community is going down pan at the mo. theres vertually no where left

Last edited:
I wish Paul the best of luck and I fully understand where he's coming from. You simply know when it's time to move on and he's moving on with his life. :)

Good Luck Paul, Thank you for everything!!! I'm so glad we have MJJC!

I used to post on MJNO but i understand where hes comming from good luck Paul

So sry to hear that. I will Paul all the best in the future. It's really tough to run and maintain sites such as these and I can understand certainly the need to keep the balance.

I'm so sad MJNO is closing. I'm a devout MJNOer and never really been anywhere else, but I quite like it here so far so I'll probably be venturing here. :D But yeah, definitely really sad to see it go. Good times we had!

I was shocked and sadden when I read Paul's announcement. I am going to miss that place and I wish him and the people on there all of the best.

Yea im very sad that is closing, great place it was.

So this seems like it will be my new home! lol

So that's why there are soo many peeps here today? I was wondering, thought maybe MJ released something. :lol:

Anyways goodluck and all the best wishes to Paul (can't believe he is soo young).:lol: Welcome to all former MJNOers :yes:

^ yeah I noticed the most members online had been beaten :lol:

Yeah read about this over at MJNO. Sorry to see the place closing. It was one of the best MJ sites on the web. Ah well, good luck to Paul with everything.

Yes, change is hard to deal wth sometimes but it is necessary for us all to grow. I wish you all the best Paul.:flowers:

Wow....never expected this, this online community seems to be shrinking steadily. Anyway, everything can't last forever, so best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

Peace.

*sniff* MJNO... aw geeze, it'll never sink in I don't think. I'll be so lost without it... I hope this place can become my new MJ home, but nothing will ever compare to MJNO in my eyes.

Aaaaaaw man! This is really sad and a shock to hear . :eek:
Gonna miss the ol' stomps, but I understand that you
must do what you gotta do.
Good luck Paul and take care.

You'll be stopping by MJJC from time to time wont you?

Exotic Princess said:
Wow....never expected this, this online community seems to be shrinking steadily. Anyway, everything can't last forever, so best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

Peace.

Yeah it does. Can't be a good sign.

It's so sad that MJNO is closing, I love that place so much. I've just signed up here, I hope this will be a great place too :)

Wow, what a tough decision Paul would have had to make, and like anything in life, everything works out the way it is meant too.

Thank you for all the efforts the whole team at MJNO have put in for making a wonderful place to visit. Anyone that comes to MJJC will be welcomed with open arms, and we look forward to the life and excitement you'll add to the community here.

Seriously, you've been AMAZING.

Thanx for everything and Best of Luck Paul :)

Last edited:
To all the folks from MJNO--A Hardy Welcome!!! Don't cry rockwithlou and gravedancer. Things happen in life. I believe you'll learn to love it here as well!!!

That's very sad, that place will be greatly missed. So many memories..

Last edited:
Paul, I feel sorry for you having to make such a big decision, and it's obviously not an easy one.

I can relate very well to what you are talking about, with putting yourself first - not just cos you want to but there comes a time when you HAVE to. And you're being sensible by doing that and furthering yourself, in other parts of life. MJ will always be a major part of your life I know, so he will always be there with you no matter what you do or where the road takes you.

It sounds to me like you've had some major achievements...
Creating the largest Michael Jackson fan community ever, and the surrounding endeavors I've pursued with this club have opened up a lot of doors for me, and it's time to knock some of them down.

THAT is one heck of a big achievement! At least you'll always know that you're able to do great things.

Please don't think of it as knocking any doors down, but just closing them so you can try others.

I had to put being an MJ fan aside a few years ago and just concentrate on my life too, when I was 24. The road was tough though, and I almost didn't make it. But cos deep down I know You Gotta Keep The Faith, I believe that's what's helped me through. I've got a totally different life now, AND I've come back to calling myself a real fan of Michael. :D I wish u the best of luck.

Back