MJ was a Sex God -- While Media Pretends Not to Notice

Bo G

Proud Member
Journalists and critics remain strikingly uncomfortable noting the sexual aspect of MJ's charisma for so many fans. MJ remained an object of lust worldwide to his last day; the media continues to ignore this 800-pound gorilla in the room.

Here's a comment I just posted at a major newspaper.

"As a dancer, Jackson nailed some perfect -- as in platonic -- idea of sexiness."

"Platonic"? Just type in the words "Michael Jackson" and "sexy" in Google and YouTube, and you will encounter millions of X-rated comments and videos concerning the, um, activities fans would enjoy pursuing with him.

As MJ's spectacular beauty faded, it became nearly impossible for a media fixated on looks to acknowledge that his sexual appeal yet remained for countless fans who lusted for him.

Without his disease of vitiligo and the depigmentation it forced him to undertake, his plastic surgery, though of course a failure, would have worked far better. There was no radical facial change after his Bad tour, when he was considered gorgeous by the world, other than depigmentation.

The growing media contempt for him was in part based on a contempt for one who could not maintain beauty due to disease. There is also a pervasive contempt for those in the public who are able to see past the superficial and still find depths of sexiness. This is bigotry on many levels; there are aspects of so many "isms" here: sexism, racism, looks-ism, and "able-ism".

It's time for the media to transcend its bigoted discomfort with the unconventionally sexy, and honestly report on MJ's sexual charisma, and the major cultural phenomena it created.

Last edited:
AMAZING post!
I really hope a lot of people read your comment on that site, because you make such fantastic points and it's articulated so well.

Also, um, this person needs to be directed the Manhood thread in the MITM forum...:blush:

Michael was an incredibly sexy man, but sexiness does not always correspond with looks (even though I have honestly always found him attractive in every "era"), but it encompasses a huge number of things.

It's disgusting that the media had created this idea of Michael as this hideous, inhuman creature whose nose was falling off and who wanted to look like a white woman, when in reality he really hadn't changed that much aside from perhaps the color of his skin.
(Also, god, the man was aging and becoming mature)

I think he was a threat - he was the opposite of the typical American idea of "masculinity" and totally threatened the American macho mentality.
I honestly think men felt threatened by him, and their recourse was to tear him down in this way and try to emasculate him.
When really, Michael was more of a man than any of them could ever hope to be.

Sad.

i remember when i was looking through the new issue of Vanity Fair and in the letters section someone wrote in saying this on Michael's chest from the Annie Leibovitz shoot:

''it is usually a treat for us girls to see bare chested men gracing the pages of any publication. But your choices for September's Vanity Fair can only be filed under these categories:
The Good: Jon Hamm, a treasure chest
The Bad: Michael Jackson, ''a boyish, toy chest.''
The Ugly: Ryan O'neal, who should keep his barrel chest covered up, please!!''

the public put michael as a teen idol and the media knew of course that women lusted at him, but yes they do assume it ended after Thriller, they think women would not find him attractive anymore during the Bad era and on. which is weird since aside from people bringing up surgery, skin condition, or his ''weirdness'' you only have to look at his female fans post- Thriller era to know that he was still sexy as a MAN no matter how his look had changed. and i also wish people would stop assuming every woman is only attracted to a certain type of ''manly man''.

i also wish people would stop assuming every woman is only attracted to a certain type of ''manly man''.
Yes, I'm sick to death of this. I'm a straight woman, but I find this media requirement that men be 100% "manly" as hurtful and oppressive to men and women.

this person needs to be directed the Manhood thread in the MITM forum...:blush:
:yes:
I think he was a threat - he was the opposite of the typical American idea of "masculinity" and totally threatened the American macho mentality.
Bingo. MJ's androgyny brought media sneers, which clearly shows contempt for gay/lesbian/transgender sexuality. MJ was lusted after by many men.

The media were more comfortable falsely equating MJ's "androgyny" with "asexuality." (Not that asexual is bad, but this is just bad science).

They had to work hard, didn't they, to ignore how the Kirk Douglas chin didn't fit into The Narrative of Michael's supposedly increasing "feminization.":smilerolleyes:
Even as a striaght male I can see he is an extremely attractive man, but the media wants to potray him as a weird white woman

I hear this a lot from straight men about MJ -- you understand how vital a part of his artistry it was. Society bullies you into silence on this, while straight women can freely note other women's sex appeal.

I'm a 16 year old male, and I think he's sexy!

But I'm not gay.

''it is usually a treat for us girls to see bare chested men gracing the pages of any publication. But your choices for September's Vanity Fair can only be filed under these categories:

Haha, whaaaaat?
This woman needs to see an eye doctor.

michael-jackson-0909-01.jpg

I guess if you find oversized muscles and machismo sexy, then Michael isn't really going to be your taste, but "bad"?

EDIT: Also, I just want to add:

MJ was an intelligent, talented BLACK MALE, he defied typical American conventions of masculinity AND he had millions of young, WHITE women lusting after him = maaajor threat.

Last edited:
littlesparrow "Michael was an incredibly sexy man, but sexiness does not always correspond with looks (even though I have honestly always found him attractive in every "era"), but it encompasses a huge number of things.

I honestly think men felt threatened by him, and their recourse was to tear him down in this way and try to emasculate him.
When really, Michael was more of a man than any of them could ever hope to be.

Sad. "

Well said, Michael was everything, confidence, kindness, absoulutely brilliant at everything he did, an innovater whilst remaining humble and not to mention an awesome dresser, if that does not scream sexy then I don't know what does.

The media would have torn Michael down anyway even if he was muscley and macho, they couldn't handle that he wasn't an egotistical celebrity that they could tear at because of it.

i remember when i was looking through the new issue of Vanity Fair and in the letters section someone wrote in saying this on Michael's chest from the Annie Leibovitz shoot:

the public put michael as a teen idol and the media knew of course that women lusted at him, but yes they do assume it ended after Thriller, they think women would not find him attractive anymore during the Bad era and on. which is weird since aside from people bringing up surgery, skin condition, or his ''weirdness'' you only have to look at his female fans post- Thriller era to know that he was still sexy as a MAN no matter how his look had changed. and i also wish people would stop assuming every woman is only attracted to a certain type of ''manly man''.

They probably do assume it ended after thriller... But actually, from what I've observed, it's the post thriller era that most women seem to be attracted to! and not so much the thriller era itself.

I mean the fans just seemed to go crazier and crazier for him as the years went by.

I have often wondered if it is because MJ didn't overtly 'bump and grind' like other male celebrities, that the majority of people saw him as 'platonic' or 'non-sexual' and sometimes 'feminine'.
Personally, as an old-fashioned girl, I prefer MJ's understated sexy stage persona to say Robbie Williams or any of the other rock stars. He wasn't too in your face but neither too sickly sweet. For me he got the balance just right.

Ameeeennn!
Honestly our societies main idea of "sexy" is boring to me. I guess that's because "sexy" to me isn't all about physicalities though - there has to be an energy and charisma about them that completes the "sexy" package.

Michael DRIPPED sex appeal...on SO many levels. I am 25 and I find him completely irresistible - in every stage of his life...from off the wall until the day he died.

Other people that don't see Michael's beauty have been conditioned to look through sheep eyes.

Ameeeennn!
Honestly our societies main idea of "sexy" is boring to me. I guess that's because "sexy" to me isn't all about physicalities though - there has to be an energy and charisma about them that completes the "sexy" package.

Other people that don't see Michael's beauty have been conditioned to look through sheep eyes.

Exactly!

It's funny, other twenty-something girls just seem to have "six-pack"-vision, and I just don't understand it.
Sexual appeal is so much more than muscles and a "conventionally pretty" face.

to add more wonderful murkiness to the waters...i find some women with the 'Kirk Douglass chin' extremely attractive. it just depends on the woman.

sexuality, ironically, is a deep thing. lol
"They had to work hard, didn't they, to ignore how the Kirk Douglas chin didn't fit into The Narrative of Michael's supposedly increasing "feminization."

to add more wonderful murkiness to the waters...i find some women with the 'Kirk Douglass chin' extremely attractive. it just depends on the woman.

sexuality, ironically, is a deep thing. lol
Got someone in mind you can show us a pic of?

Ha Ha This woman does need her eyes checked Michael is very sexy

That Liebovitz photo shoot was amazing -- thanks for posting! Your photo shows so well that his sexual magnetism radiated from the way he carried himself and moved.

littlesparrow said:
Sexual appeal is so much more than muscles and a "conventionally pretty" face.
Damn straight!

I can't get enough of Michael's photoshoot with Annie either...that shiz is SHAMOANIN' HOT. That middle shot pictured above...you can just feel the energy. Ohhh *spine tingles*

Ameeeennn!

Michael DRIPPED sex appeal...on SO many levels. I am 25 and I find him completely irresistible - in every stage of his life...from off the wall until the day he died.

Agreed! I'm 22 and I've always found Michael as being incredibly beautiful and sexy. I don't understand why everyone focuses so much on his changing appearance though. I never found him unattractive at all. The haters must not want to admit it to themselves, I guess. How do you not find Michael sexy? One word: denial! :rofl:

I said in one post that In THE THIS IS IT movie MJ was SEXY! He was very sexy in that movie and anyone who dares to deny it or down play it is fooling themselves! They can never give MJ full credit. They usually have to give half ass credit if they even try! I always found MJ sexy in all the eras because he is!

Ameeeennn!

Agreed! I am 27 and I think Michael is the sexiest man I've ever laid my eyes on! I mean damn! even when I was 3 years old I was so mesmerized by him... he's just got "it". :wub:

I wouldn't mind playing with his boyish toy chest! :D

I'm 18 years old and I just have to say Michael Jackson is the most beautiful, adorable, cutest and gorgeous man I've ever seen in my life..... :wub:

From the J5 era, Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStroy, BOTDF, and Invincible era, Michael was just beautiful. It's something inside that makes him so appealing and enigmatic.

Back