**New Date**'This Is It' Movie - released 28th Oct (topics merged)

I dont know what to believe anymore.. Im even so sceptic I somedays dont even believe Michaels is gone. Are they releasing these rehearsals on cinema just to make money? Im so torn.. Everything makes me suspicious. Everything.

When do you think trailers will be released?

Hope we get to see Dirty Diana, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, - AND ALL the other songs rehearsed! :( Hope we will see everything.

I live in a veeeeery small town....but we have a reeeeeally cool old fashioned movie theater with a top notch sound system set up way back in the day. People come from hundreds of miles around just to watch a movie in this theater.

I have befriended the new owner of the theater and he has already told me they are showing the footage.

Needless to say, I am so excited I could shit myself.

I understand there is tension as to whether showing this in cinemas is a good idea, or whether its merely another money making idea for people to cash in on Mike's death.

Well....it probably is. And I still want to see it. It does suck that the one time I will ever see Michael on the silver screen is after his death on footage that probably was not good in Michael standards (we all know how Mike is about his standards).

But I'll take what I can get in these situations. I feel morbid and gloomy all the time now. I look up at the stars at night asking God for an answer to how I should continue to live my life and move on. I do know that the sadness will somehow never leave me and that i'm just going to have to deal with it. So watching Michael during his happy times is one thing that will help me through all this. And I think he was pretty happy while rehearsing. I hope to see many candid moments in the footage, for that is the Michael I enjoy watching the most! Even more than the entertainer side.

I emailed Cineplex/Galaxy Cinemas (Canada's largest cinema chain) asking them why the movie is not shown on their website and they replied with this message:

-----

Dear Travis,

Thank you for contacting Cineplex Entertainment.

At this time we do not have any information on the film Michael Jackson: This Is It, as Sony Pictures has not announced their Canadian release plans for the movie. Once they have worked out their release date, it will be posted on the Coming Soon page of www.cineplex.com.

Regards,

Tami Toyman
Guest Services
Cineplex Entertainment LP
guestservices@cineplex.com

I searched the thread and I don't think this has been brought up yet . . .

Do you all think there will be a trailer/preview for this movie, either in front of other movies or on tv? I'm thinking no. . . but even if there is, I doubt it would show any of the rehearsal footage in a preview. Any thoughts? I don't know that I would even want to see a trailer with rehearsal footage in it, I kind of want them to save it all up for the movie. But I don't know. I'm torn.

Do you guys think that there is a chance the release date will be pushed back? You know, it has not been uncommon for Michael's projects to be pushed back.

Do you guys think that there is a chance the release date will be pushed back? You know, it has not been uncommon for Michael's projects to be pushed back.
Not likely..... Michael himself was a perfectionist which I believe might have lead to some delays in the past.

However in Michael is "hot" again, Sony will do whatever they can to gain from it :( So they rather release it earlier then later!

I' ve contacted our film distributor... This is what they said: Huge premiere in LA would be held on 27th of October and would be for invited guests... screening for distributors (?!) would be on 28th of october in Slovenia, on 29th would be premieres around the world, usually bought by distributors...
That sucks, I wanted to have private screening which would cost around 250€ for 50 people, but it is only possible on 30th of october.
Slovenia is so anti-Michael country, it doesn't deserve to have worldwide premiere.. and there is no guarantee that you would actually get tickets.
I'll use all of my 'connections' , try my best to get them...

Last edited:
i think there might be trailers but i hope its something respectable. its gonna be so incredible seeing this on a big screen. i hope theres a blu-ray release too with tons and tons of extras!

In a lot of threads everyone is forgetting Michael Jackson first and foremost was a father. He wanted to make his kids proud, spend the rest of his life teaching them and bringing them up and giving freely of his love.

He would never intentionally do anything to harm himself. And what happened was under the due care of a so called doctor.

However the kids have the most incredible back catalogue of his father, they have images and footage to never forget him and now they have the film This Is It..........

This is positive, we have to hold onto the positive otherwise we get controlled by the demons.

I am looking forward to it and will yep have a tear but there will also be moments where the corners of my mouth turn upwards.

Sit back and enjoy!!!

Man, now I gotta say - wonderful post!!!
I completely agree you! ;)

What on Earth is this press release supposed to mean? That the film will only be presented for two weeks or that there will be some exclusive promotional screenings for two weeks?! I truly don't undersand.

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayR...STORY=/www/story/08-20-2009/0005080981&EDATE=
'Michael Jackson THIS IS IT' to Be Presented Exclusively for Two-Week Limited Engagement Around the World;

TICKETS TO GO ON SALE SEPTEMBER 27;

INTIMATE PORTRAIT OF MICHAEL JACKSON AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE TO HIT THEATERS WORLDWIDE OCTOBER 28
CULVER CITY, Calif., Aug. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Music Entertainment announced today that Michael Jackson THIS IS IT will be released exclusively for a special, limited, two-week engagement worldwide, with the studio pushing up the debut of the film by two days, to Wednesday, October 28th. Due to the anticipated demand for this film, tickets for the two-week presentation will go on sale in most cities beginning on Sunday, September 27th.
Separately, the producers of Michael Jackson THIS IS IT announced that Kenny Ortega has been set to direct the motion picture. The film is being produced with the full support of The Estate of Michael Jackson.
Commenting on the announcement, Ortega, director of and Jackson's creative partner on the THIS IS IT concert, said, "This film is Michael's gift to his fans. As we began assembling the footage for the motion picture we realized we captured something extraordinary, unique and very special. It's a very private, exclusive look into a creative genius's world. For the first time ever, fans will see Michael as they have never seen him before - this great artist at work. It is raw, emotional, moving and powerful footage that captures his interactions with the THIS IS IT collaborators that he had personally assembled for this once in a lifetime project. This film shows a consummate performer working with and guiding singers, dancers, band members, choreographers, special effects creators and countless other creative members of the team as we all assemble this historic concert. I can think of many words to describe Michael as he rehearses for and creates THIS IS IT- inspirational, dynamic, generous, dedicated, loving and the guiding force--you see him as the true architect and driving force of this project - a true master of his craft, the Entertainer of Entertainers. I'm proud of the many years of friendship and creative association I shared with Michael and I'm happy that people will get a chance to see his spirit and drive in action. THIS IS IT may go down as the greatest concert that no one got a chance to see, but with this film, we get a rare portrait of Michael as he prepares for his final curtain call and what I believe was going to be his master work."
Michael Jackson THIS IS IT will offer Jackson fans and music lovers worldwide a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning this summer in London's O2 Arena. Chronicling the months from April through June, 2009, the film is drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing a number of his songs for the show. Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, and genius as he creates and perfects his final show.
"I have never been partners with a more creative, innovative or groundbreaking entertainer than Michael Jackson," said Randy Phillips, President & CEO, AEG LIVE and producer of Michael Jackson THIS IS IT. "While the concerts would have been the greatest shows in the history of music, our film will provide a historic event for Michael's fans to see for themselves the genius that he was and the creativity, talent and imagination that the entire cast devoted to create the 'greatest concert that never happened'."
In the coming weeks, additional information about the film will be available at www.michaeljackson.com.
Dubbed the Billion Dollar Maestro by Daily Variety, Kenny Ortega has conquered Feature Films, Television, Stage, Concerts and massive Live Events such as The Olympics with equal excellence. As Michael Jackson's director and creative partner on THIS IS IT as well as the previous Jackson concert tours DANGEROUS and HISTORY, Mr. Ortega has been a friend, trusted colleague and collaborator of Michael Jackson's for over 20 years.
Kenny will segue from directing the film version of THIS IS IT to directing the Paramount feature film Footloose this fall. The multiple Emmy Award winner famously directed and visualized Disney's billion-dollar High School Musical franchise of films both for Television and as a Feature Film. Kenny directed the fastest selling concert tour in history, the Hannah Montana / Miley Cyrus "Best of Both Worlds Tour" featuring The Jonas Bros. This tour broke numerous records and extended its sell out tour by more than 20 shows. He also directed to tremendous praise the Opening and Closing Ceremonies for the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The AP have picked it up, it does sound like it'll only be for two weeks:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iANuIHqB437yCLYq33uK-DRoQqXAD9A6SBS80

Jackson `This Is It' film gets 2-week limited run
(AP) – 29 minutes ago
LOS ANGELES — A Michael Jackson film built around rehearsal footage left behind after his death will be released in a limited two-week theatrical engagement worldwide.
Distributor Sony announced that the release date for "Michael Jackson: This Is It" has been moved up to Oct. 28, two days earlier than previously announced. Tickets go on sale Sept. 27.
The studio also announced longtime Jackson collaborator Kenny Ortega is directing "This Is It," which offers a behind-the-scenes glimpse of Jackson preparing for a series of London shows he was rehearsing when he died June 25.
Ortega had been working with Jackson on the "This Is It" concert tour. His other credits include the "High School Musical" movies and an upcoming remake of "Footloose."
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

preper to pay big $ on viagogo etc for this "special" 2 week showing. and the fans get screwed again.

You've got to effin' be kidding me. Two weeks?????! Another fight for tickets with websites crashing, maybe you won't get tickets and can't see it, all the scumbags clog the ticketing sites so they can sell the ticks on ebay, etc, etc??? Again?? Pardon me while I bash my head against the wall. I can't take much more stress at this point. I can't believe it. Yes, I'm anticipating the negative, but with the track record, how can I help it?

Totally... I can understand that MJ's rehearsals aren't of huge interest to non fans, but come on, 2 weeks only?!!! And so the rushing, the getting up early, the getting screwed over carries on even after Michael's death, we can't even go and see mere footage of him in peace. Spiffing, just bloody spiffing.

First, I doubt tickets will be more than for any other movie. It's not often documentaries or things of that nature make it to theaters.

This makes perfect sense to me.

They'll have it in theaters for a couple weeks and maybe on DVD by Christmas.

Thats what I am thinking. They will want to put it on dvd in time for the holidays

That's what we thought, too... about the DVD at Christmas. I hope so. Then we can watch again and again. But the two weeks and "tickets go on sale Sep 27"... that doesn't sound too promising. It concerns me that people who just want to make a profit off of MJ tickets (again) will crowd whatever site they're sold through and block out fans who really need to see this.

TII tickets were a farce.
Tickets for the Staples Cernter was a nightmare.
Tickets for the Tribute are a joke.

Fans are shafted at every corner they turn, why oh why did I expect this to be different! :smilerolleyes:

TII tickets were a farce.
Tickets for the Staples Cernter was a nightmare.
Tickets for the Tribute are a joke.

Fans are shafted at every corner they turn, why oh why did I expect this to be different! :smilerolleyes:

Look, MJ was an artist highly in demand.

Tickets for other artists or major events are equally hard to come by.

The Staples Center... there's only so many ways to divide 15,000 or however many amongst over a million people.

I don't know what people expect.

Back