Official Celebrity Statements Thread

JC Chasez:
"Words can't begin to describe my sadness for the loss of Michael Jackson. I was honored and humbled to have the opportunity to perform with him several times and he had a profound influence on my career. Michael forever changed the world of music and entertainment and I will always remember him for his kind and sweet spirit."
source: usmagazine

Solange Knowles:
"My fifth birthday party was M.J. themed, I insisted.My mother found a lookalike to come sing happy birthday and I KNEW he wasn't MY Michael. Thank you Michael Jackson for being my FIRST of many! My mother took me to my FIRST concert, I was only two years old. I fell in love."
https://twitter.com/solangeknowles

Thomas Mesearu, Bob Sanger and others pay tribute!

Thomas Mesereau Jr., the lead attorney for the defense, said he is shocked and devastated by Jackson’s death.

He said he didn’t know Jackson until he agreed to represent him, but ended up spending a lot of time with him.

Jackson had a gentle soul, Mesereau said.

“He was someone who had great gifts and wanted to improve the world with those gifts,” he said.
http://www.lompocrecord.com/articles/2009/06/26/news/featurednews/news01.txt

At all these people... wow. T-Mez, thank you so much for helping michael at a time when he needed it the most. Because of you, he wouldnt have had the freedom he's had in the past four years. At least he died doing what he loved and not in a jail cell.

It's so sad and shocking. I feel privileged to have hung out and worked with Michael. He was a massively talented boy man with a gentle soul. His music will be remembered forever and my memories of our time together will be happy ones.

I send my deepest sympathy to his mother and the whole family and to his countless fans all around the world. ~ Paul McCartney

Michael was the greatest entertainer of our generation. Those pieces of work changed the landscape. When we took the Billie Jean video to MTV, they declined to play it at first. They had never played a black artist. They started airing it after a lot of pressure from Columbia Records. That opened the door. It was the greatest move Michael made.

Everyone else proceeded to copy him. He was the innovator and consummate performer. We’d be on a tour bus and he’d dance in the aisle while looking at James Brown videos until even his brothers yelled at him, ‘Turn it off!’ To see things end this way is really sad. ~ Ron Weisner, former manager of The Jacksons

It’s so shocking. Michael was a gregarious prankster, but so advanced for his age talent-wise. He was watching everybody and learning all the time. He was a typical young boy too. One of my fondest memories is of him riding the golf carts when Bobby Taylor, who brought the Jackson 5 to Motown, and I played golf. The world is mourning the loss of his talent, and people will miss his music. Michael Jackson was one of the most intense, dynamic talents to ever live. When I was in London recently, the whole buzz was about those 50 concerts. He was still Michael Jackson. ~ Smokey Robinson

PDA star remembers Michael Jackson
abs-cbnNEWS.com | 06/26/2009 9:06 PM

MANILA - One of the country's promising artists Bugoy Drilon expressed sadness over the death of his idol Michael Jackson due to cardiac arrest Friday.

In an interview with abs-cbnNEWS.com, Bugoy said he learned the unfortunate news via a text message from his friend and co-Pinoy Dream Academy (PDA) scholar Christian Alvear, who is also a Jackson fanatic.

“I was shocked. I know Michael Jackson as a music icon, and among the Jackson Five, he was the youngest, and yet, he was the first to die,” Drilon said.

Drilon said he started to sing Jackson’s songs when he was only six years old, and he is still one of the fans of “Jackson Five.”

“My father has a tape of his hit ‘Billie Jean,’ and I was really singing his songs when I was still young--even up to now,” he said.

Drilon was also emotional with the passing of the world’s King of Pop. He said he would always remember Jackson through his great music and powerful dance moves.

“It is really an unfortunate event since Jackson already made a history not only in our country but also in the other parts of world,” the crooner added.

Like other artists, Drilon also uses Jackson’s dance styles, like his signature step – “moonwalk.”

“Yes, I also do his moves. And it really feels good when people cheered and clapped their hands, because they also love it when you're doing Jackson’s dance steps,” he added.

Drilon said that although he was shocked by the death of his idol, he still believes it was part of God’s plan.

“For me, I just think that he was already tired and he needs to rest. We have our own time and his time was over,” he said.

Drilon, whose “Paano Na Kaya” became a hit, said he will forever remember Jackson songs like “Billie Jean,” “Heal,” “Beat It,” “The World," and “Give Love on Christmas Day.”

Drilon, the second star dreamer of PDA Season 2, is now busy preparing for his concert in Dubai this July 1, and in Guam this July 24.

Aside from mall shows, Drilon might also be part of another big television project on ABS-CBN.

by Reyma Buan-Deveza, abs-cbnNEWS.com

Pinoys share thoughts on Michael Jackson
abs-cbnNEWS.com
06/26/2009 4:10 PM

MANILA - Filipino fans of King of Pop Michael Jackson were also shocked and saddened by the death of their superstar idol from cardiac arrest Friday.

In an interview Friday on ANC's "Dateline," Leah Navarro, singer and one of the convenors of the civic group, Black and White, said she never expected that a music icon like Jackson would die at the young age of 50.

"We think of people like Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, these are the musicians that influenced our lives even if you are not in the [music] business," she said.

Navarro shared that Jackson was patronized and idolized by Filipino fans in and out of showbiz because of his beautiful music and powerful performances.

"We all wanted to be Michael Jackson, to have the crowd that adored us, to sing songs that would span decades. And that's what he has done, and I think that's why his passing made a great impact," she said.

Navarro said that even if Jackson was known as a pop and RnB artist, his music and style influenced almost all genres.

"Although he kept within the bounds of the pop, RnB genres, he still was able to influence all types of performances," she said.

Navarro said Jackson inspired Filipinos and artists of her generation to raise their art higher, such as in the perfection of dance moves, vocals, and shows.

Aside from doing great production shows, she said Jackson also changed the concept of MTV productions.

"What really bothers me is how people are now moving from the legacy he has left musically, to the legacy he will leave as a star in the last new millennium. That's, for me, hopefully, something that we don't have to dwell on so much because it will be overshadowed by his musical legacy," she said.

Jackson was accused of child sexual abuse in 1993, but the case was later settled out of court.

Navarro said she's confident that Jackson's star will shine brighter than the other artists of his generation.

"I think all stars have to fade. But I think one thing is certain: Michael Jackson's star shines brighter than most. And even it began to fade towards the end of his life, it's like a ripple--the light continues to ripple and can go on forever," she said.

Navarro said that up to recent times, Jackson still influenced Filipinos, citing the popular dancing inmates of Cebu, who performed Jackson's "Thriller." The video has a hit on YouTube.

Star Power

In a separate interview also on ANC, controversial television host and DJ Mo Twister also shared his thoughts on the passing of one of the world's greatest artists.

Mo, who is known for his straightforward interviews and commentaries, said he was also moved by the death of Jackson, an artist he considered to be incomparable.

"Michael Jackson is really once and lifetime. There's really nobody even in the past who came in almost half as good or half as prominent like Michael Jackson. A lot of guys can sing well, can dance well, but there are only people who can really change and move people like the way Michael Jackson did. And that's what really made him very especial," Mo said.

The TV host believes that what makes Jackson great was his "bona fide" star quality, which appeared early on when he started as the youngest member of "Jackson Five."

"He touched anything and it turned into gold because of that star power. Nobody succeeded the way he did," Jackson said.

Mo also thinks that even if Jackson's last 10 years could be described as eccentric, people won't remember it anymore and will just respect his legacy because of his powerful music, which has a strong message about humanity.

The host also said that Jackson's generosity and charity work made him closer to the people.

Jackson was in Manila for a two-day concert, December 8 and 10, where he performed in front of over a 50,000 crowd at Asia World City in Parañaque.

Among the songs he performed in Manila were "Billie Jean," "Black or White," and "Heal The World."

Days before Jackson's concert in the country, the Pop King visited a hospital in Parañaque as part of his humanitarian mission.

Incredible impact

Meanwhile, even House Speaker Prospero Nograles found it necessary to issue a statement in response to Jackson's death.

"On behalf of the Philippine House of Representatives and the people we represent, we join the world in sorrow and prayers at the sudden death of an icon in the world of music," said Nograles in a text message sent to reporters.

The rest of his statement follows:

"He was, and will remain, the most brilliant star in the galaxy of artists, musicians, and choreographers, whose influence spans the generation of all ages regardless of color and creed."

"The brief immensity of his life and the magnitude of his work are indelibly etched in our memories, in our hearts, and in our daily lives with every beat, rhythm, and melody that only a Michael Jackson could weave with incredible impact."

"We offer our sympathies to his children and family together with our prayers of sadness and celebration tha this soul may forever be in eternal peace where the heavens shall rejoice at the sound of voice." -- with a report from Carmela Fonbuena, abs-cbnNEWS.com/Newsbreak

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/06/26/09/pinoys-share-thoughts-michael-jackson

I am stunned. My friend, Michael Jackson is dead. He lived with me for a week on “Golden Pond” set after “Thriller.” ~ Jane Fonda

Stevie Wonder's people issued this statement:

"Stevie is not available for any comment for the time being. He is emotionally distraught & chose to be quiet right now".

I am supposed to be seeing Stevie Wonder and John Legend this Sunday. I hope I can see it, but if he pulls out, I can certainly understand.

I feel so bad for those closest to him. I'm sure this loss is monumental for them. It just doesn't seem as if the world is right now. One person-one great person- leaving seems to have changed the feeling of this world totally.

I feel bad for Stevie, Smokey, Barry and Diana especially... four of the most prominent Motown family members watching their brothers and sisters fall one by one.

Never would I have thought MJ to be the first Jackson member to go... never. Not at 50 years young.

Cambria man remembers Michael Jackson as 'kind, sweet, gentle'
Patrick Pemberton - ppemberton@thetribunenews.com

Having worked with Michael Jackson on multiple occasions, Cambria resident Steve Crimmel remembers the “King of Pop” as a “really, really kind, sweet, gentle person.”

Before opening his Painted Sky Studios in Cambria in 1995, Crimmel worked at recording studios in Los Angeles as an engineer and assistant. While there, he worked with performers such as Lionel Richie, the Talking Heads, Neil Diamond, Kenny Loggins and Bonnie Raitt. He worked with Jackson, who died Thursday, numerous times during the late 1970s and early ’80s.

Crimmel was once behind the mixing board with Jackson while they worked on an album being made by his sister LaToya Jackson, and the men struck up a conversation.

“I found out that he had a real fascination with Charles Chaplain,” said Crimmel, who filled in for another engineer during two nights of the LaToya Jackson sessions.

Jackson was already famous at that time, though not as eccentric as he would later become.

“He was pretty normal,” Crimmel said. “It was before any of the plastic surgeries or anything like that.”

While known primarily for his singing and dancing, Crimmel said Jackson was also technically competent and comfortable behind a mixing board.

“He’d been in studios since he was a kid,” Crimmel said.

The next time Crimmel met Jackson, the pop star was recording with his brothers.

“At the time he knew his own solo career was taking off, and he seemed concerned about leaving his brothers behind,” Crimmel said.

By the time he met Jackson a third time, the famous “Thriller” album had been released, and Jackson was on his way to mega-stardom.

That session was for a 1982 recording of “State of Independence,” covered by Donna Summer. For that record, producer Quincy Jones had assembled an all-star cast of background vocalists, including Stevie Wonder, Michael McDonald, Lionel Richie, Kenny Loggins, Dionne Warwick and Jackson.

During the session, Crimmel said, Jackson stayed mostly in the artist’s lounge. But Jackson did remember him from previous sessions.

While Crimmel thinks Jackson owes much of his success to Quincy Jones, who produced both his “Thriller” and “Off the Wall” albums, he also noted Jackson’s contributions to music.

“He was a great vocalist, a real entertainer, performer and trendsetter.”

From Roger Federer's press conference after his match:

Q. Where were you and what were your immediate thoughts when you heard the news that Michael Jackson had died?

ROGER FEDERER: I was at the house late last night. Obviously, you know, I love his music. It wasn't clear, you know, what had happened, you know. So I waited for sort of to see what's gonna happen and the confirmation.

Sure, a very sad moment I think in the music world. You know, he touched many people. Same for me. But I'll obviously still listen to his music for many more years to come.

Q. What do you consider the aspect that you appreciate the most of his performances?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I remember, I don't know, back maybe in '88 or '89, he came to Basel. I was outside of the stadium, because there was such excitement that he would come. I was still very young. I think I went there with my sister, and we just listened from the outside, you know.

Yeah, always listened to his music. And, yeah, it's sad. You know, it really is.

he is known to have MJ as his no.1 musician.

Diana Ross "I can't stop crying; this is too sudden and shocking," Jackson's friend and co-star in "The Wiz" Diana Ross told MTV News in a statement. "I am unable to imagine this. My heart is hurting. I am in prayer for his kids and the family."

what the hell is Bashir saying.....the best singer and dancer
feeling guilty are we, shame he couldnt have treated him better when he was alive

Owen Benjamin's status on myspace:

"When he was alive everyone attacked him, when he died everyone is mourning him. if the world was a person it would be manic depressive."

And not exactly a statement, but still a contribution.

From Japanese rockstar Miyavi - he posted this on his myspace blog:

"I always wonder if there is another world after we die.
and I'm sure that I'll never know until that day comes.

So, I wanna at least be smiling
at the moment when I close my eyes to go to heaven.

and hopefully he was also.

Rest in peace M."

Though I am more than devastated and have probably wasted all the tears I can cry, I thought I'd post some more light-hearted quotes as well.

This feels so...surreal.

Just from Lisa Marie on her myspace blog. Now I really feel terrible for her....

He Knew.

Years ago Michael and I were having a deep conversation about life in general.

I can't recall the exact subject matter but he may have been questioning me about the circumstances of my Fathers Death.

At some point he paused, he stared at me very intensely and he stated with an almost calm certainty, "I am afraid that I am going to end up like him, the way he did."

I promptly tried to deter him from the idea, at which point he just shrugged his shoulders and nodded almost matter of fact as if to let me know, he knew what he knew and that was kind of that.

14 years later I am sitting here watching on the news an ambulance leaves the driveway of his home, the big gates, the crowds outside the gates, the coverage, the crowds outside the hospital, the Cause of death and what may have led up to it and the memory of this conversation hit me, as did the unstoppable tears.

A predicted ending by him, by loved ones and by me, but what I didn't predict was how much it was going to hurt when it finally happened.

The person I failed to help is being transferred right now to the LA County Coroners office for his Autopsy.

All of my indifference and detachment that I worked so hard to achieve over the years has just gone into the bowels of hell and right now I am gutted.

I am going to say now what I have never said before because I want the truth out there for once.

Our relationship was not "a sham" as is being reported in the press. It was an unusual relationship yes, where two unusual people who did not live or know a "Normal life" found a connection, perhaps with some suspect timing on his part. Nonetheless, I do believe he loved me as much as he could love anyone and I loved him very much.

I wanted to "save him" I wanted to save him from the inevitable which is what has just happened.

His family and his loved ones also wanted to save him from this as well but didn't know how and this was 14 years ago. We all worried that this would be the outcome then.

At that time, In trying to save him, I almost lost myself.

He was an incredibly dynamic force and power that was not to be underestimated.

When he used it for something good, It was the best and when he used it for something bad, It was really, REALLY bad.

Mediocrity was not a concept that would even for a second enter Michael Jackson's being or actions.

I became very ill and emotionally/ spiritually exhausted in my quest to save him from certain self-destructive behavior and from the awful vampires and leeches he would always manage to magnetize around him.

I was in over my head while trying.

I had my children to care for, I had to make a decision.

The hardest decision I have ever had to make, which was to walk away and let his fate have him, even though I desperately loved him and tried to stop or reverse it somehow.

After the Divorce, I spent a few years obsessing about him and what I could have done different, in regret.

Then I spent some angry years at the whole situation.

At some point, I truly became Indifferent, until now.

As I sit here overwhelmed with sadness, reflection and confusion at what was my biggest failure to date, watching on the news almost play by play The exact Scenario I saw happen on August 16th, 1977 happening again right now with Michael (A sight I never wanted to see again) just as he predicted, I am truly, truly gutted.

Any ill experience or words I have felt towards him in the past has just died inside of me along with him.

He was an amazing person and I am lucky to have gotten as close to him as I did and to have had the many experiences and years that we had together.

I desperately hope that he can be relieved from his pain, pressure and turmoil now.

He deserves to be free from all of that and I hope he is in a better place or will be.

I also hope that anyone else who feels they have failed to help him can be set free because he hopefully finally is.

The World is in shock but somehow he knew exactly how his fate would be played out some day more than anyone else knew, and he was right.

I really needed to say this right now, thanks for listening.

~LMP

9:15 AM
44 Comments
23 Kudos

Just from Lisa Marie on her myspace blog. Now I really feel terrible for her....

He Knew.

Years ago Michael and I were having a deep conversation about life in general.

I can't recall the exact subject matter but he may have been questioning me about the circumstances of my Fathers Death.

At some point he paused, he stared at me very intensely and he stated with an almost calm certainty, "I am afraid that I am going to end up like him, the way he did."

I promptly tried to deter him from the idea, at which point he just shrugged his shoulders and nodded almost matter of fact as if to let me know, he knew what he knew and that was kind of that.

14 years later I am sitting here watching on the news an ambulance leaves the driveway of his home, the big gates, the crowds outside the gates, the coverage, the crowds outside the hospital, the Cause of death and what may have led up to it and the memory of this conversation hit me, as did the unstoppable tears.

A predicted ending by him, by loved ones and by me, but what I didn't predict was how much it was going to hurt when it finally happened.

The person I failed to help is being transferred right now to the LA County Coroners office for his Autopsy.

All of my indifference and detachment that I worked so hard to achieve over the years has just gone into the bowels of hell and right now I am gutted.

I am going to say now what I have never said before because I want the truth out there for once.

Our relationship was not "a sham" as is being reported in the press. It was an unusual relationship yes, where two unusual people who did not live or know a "Normal life" found a connection, perhaps with some suspect timing on his part. Nonetheless, I do believe he loved me as much as he could love anyone and I loved him very much.

I wanted to "save him" I wanted to save him from the inevitable which is what has just happened.

His family and his loved ones also wanted to save him from this as well but didn't know how and this was 14 years ago. We all worried that this would be the outcome then.

At that time, In trying to save him, I almost lost myself.

He was an incredibly dynamic force and power that was not to be underestimated.

When he used it for something good, It was the best and when he used it for something bad, It was really, REALLY bad.

Mediocrity was not a concept that would even for a second enter Michael Jackson's being or actions.

I became very ill and emotionally/ spiritually exhausted in my quest to save him from certain self-destructive behavior and from the awful vampires and leeches he would always manage to magnetize around him.

I was in over my head while trying.

I had my children to care for, I had to make a decision.

The hardest decision I have ever had to make, which was to walk away and let his fate have him, even though I desperately loved him and tried to stop or reverse it somehow.

After the Divorce, I spent a few years obsessing about him and what I could have done different, in regret.

Then I spent some angry years at the whole situation.

At some point, I truly became Indifferent, until now.

As I sit here overwhelmed with sadness, reflection and confusion at what was my biggest failure to date, watching on the news almost play by play The exact Scenario I saw happen on August 16th, 1977 happening again right now with Michael (A sight I never wanted to see again) just as he predicted, I am truly, truly gutted.

Any ill experience or words I have felt towards him in the past has just died inside of me along with him.

He was an amazing person and I am lucky to have gotten as close to him as I did and to have had the many experiences and years that we had together.

I desperately hope that he can be relieved from his pain, pressure and turmoil now.

He deserves to be free from all of that and I hope he is in a better place or will be.

I also hope that anyone else who feels they have failed to help him can be set free because he hopefully finally is.

The World is in shock but somehow he knew exactly how his fate would be played out some day more than anyone else knew, and he was right.

I really needed to say this right now, thanks for listening.

~LMP

9:15 AM
44 Comments
23 Kudos

This made me cry again :(
I wish she could have told him how she felt in his lifetime!
But I hope he knows it now looking down on all of us.

Michael Jackson, like James Brown and Prince, are nearly uncoverable. The tunes were about his innate talent and can't really be replicated...I truly hope he is memorialized as the '83 moonwalking, MTV owning, mesmerizing, unstoppable, invincible Michael Jackson. ~ John Mayer

Michael's greatness was perfection. His death has come as a total shock. ~ Donna Summer

I'm in such shock that I don't know what to feel, but for whatever reason Lisa Marie's words comforted me. And they're not happy words, more like the heartbroken words of a loved one. But maybe that's why it struck a chord with me, because of the painful honesty, and the unbearabale hurt behind the words, that I've been feeling all day but just couldn't put into words. :(

TAYLOR COLLAPSED AFTER LEARNING OF JACKSON'S DEATH

Screen legend DAME ELIZABETH TAYLOR sparked a medical emergency of her own on Thursday (25Jun09) when she collapsed in her Hollywood home after hearing about the tragic death of her longtime friend MICHAEL JACKSON.
The Thriller hitmaker passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest at the age of 50.
A representative for Taylor, who coined the phrase King of Pop as she presented him with an award in 1989, claimed the Oscar winner was "too devastated" to comment on the superstar's death in the hours following the shocking news.
But it's now emerged the actress, 77, is recovering from her own health scare, which prompted her personal physician to make a late visit to her home on Thursday.
According to In Touch magazine, Taylor was preparing to dash to UCLA Medical Center in California to be by Jackson's bedside when she was told of his untimely demise.
A source says, "Liz was getting dressed when the second call came that Michael had died, and she collapsed. Liz is in a state of shock.
"She and Michael had their ups and downs, but she never stopped loving him. Now, she’s grief-stricken beyond words."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns...psed-after-learning-of-jacksons-death_1107892

Sky news have just read out a statement from Liz Taylor, she sounds so distraught.

Dame Elizabeth Taylor is expressing her grief over the death of her dear friend Michael Jackson in a heartbreaking new statement.

"My heart ... my mind ... are broken. I loved Michael with all my soul and I can't imagine life without him. We had so much in common and we had such loving fun together. I was packing up my clothes to go to London for his opening when I heard the news. I still can't believe it. I don't want to believe it. It can't be so. He will live in my heart forever but it's not enough. My life feels so empty. I don't think anyone knew how much we loved each other. The purest most giving love I've ever known. Oh God! I'm going to miss him. I can't yet imagine life without him. But I guess with God's help ... I'll learn. I keep looking at the photo he gave me of himself, which says, 'To my true love Elizabeth, I love you forever.' And, I will love HIM forever," Dame Elizabeth tells ET.

Really sad news about Michael, he was a talent from on high. ~ Slash

We are all is shock to hear that Michael Jackson just died. It is heart breaking to think that we have lost such a musical inspiration. ~ Hanson

i know we make light of me never getting sleep and overworking. but i’ll say that he didn’t go in vain. i will do my best to slow down as to not overwork myself to the point in which i can’t even enjoy life anymore. im am devastated over this but we all have memories. i just hope that he will get due justice in all the press memorials and whatnot. i know he was mired in controversy the last decade of his life but i think its time we let him rest in peace and learn to separate the ART and the ARTIST. –that is the MJ i will forever remember. ~ ?uestlove

Back