Pics of rare 1979/80 interview

mj_brainiac aka jay8wonder, I am soooo looking forward to seeing your video on Youtube! This is off the hook! It's really exciting to see that you have this! As mjroxworld mentioned on the previous page, I actually met MJ the day he did this interview. What you have on tape is from 1979 when he was in the Oakland, California promoting "Off The Wall."

Because of you sharing your hidden treasure, everyone gets to see some of what he did that day! I saw him go to three places back to back, but I had no idea he also went to Soulbeat to do a television interview until you posted your pictures over at the KOP board.

Wow!! Mike was really making his rounds! He is like the energizer bunny when he's working on his checklist! LOL

Seeing him promoting his groundbreaking solo album was the highlight of my teen years.

Wishing you much success uploading your video. :flowers:

mj_brainiac aka jay8wonder, I am soooo looking forward to seeing your video on Youtube! This is off the hook! It's really exciting to see that you have this! As mjroxworld mentioned on the previous page, I actually met MJ the day he did this interview. What you have on tape is from 1979 when he was in the Oakland, California promoting "Off The Wall."

Because of you sharing your hidden treasure, everyone gets to see some of what he did that day! I saw him go to three places back to back, but I had no idea he also went to Soulbeat to do a television interview until you posted your pictures over at the KOP board.

Wow!! Mike was really making his rounds! He is like the energizer bunny when he's working on his checklist! LOL

Seeing him promoting his groundbreaking solo album was the highlight of my teen years.

Wishing you much success uploading your video. :flowers:
Where did Michael go that day. there's was a special from 1984 that showed Michael in a club singing in front of alot of people, but I don't think I have it anymore (it's at my old high school and I'm going over there to see if it's still located there this week)

I was smart enough to copy the Soulbeat interview on another tape and that's the one I'm going to upload

Do you have any footage from that time? I constantly looking on Craigslist for someone from the Bay Area who are selling old MJ tapes because someone else may have it

I wonder if the owners of Soulbeat still have the footage...

As mjroxworld mentioned on the previous page, I actually met MJ the day he did this interview. What you have on tape is from 1979 when he was in the Oakland, California promoting "Off The Wall."

:flowers:

:bugeyed How LUCKY!!!!!!!!!

And they say he has completely changed himself and has had so much plastic surgery.....LOOK at the picture above...and take a GOOD look!! Add straight hair and 30 years in age. Is the change really THAT big? Because I can't see it....He looks just as beautiful now as he was before...and I just DO NOT GET IT why people can't see that and keep calling him names! :banghead:

:clapping::clapping:I know exactly what your saying, I can't see it either and I just don't get it.

Thanks for the pics, and looking forward to the You Tube link

Where did Michael go that day. there's was a special from 1984 that showed Michael in a club singing in front of alot of people, but I don't think I have it anymore (it's at my old high school and I'm going over there to see if it's still located there this week)

I was smart enough to copy the Soulbeat interview on another tape and that's the one I'm going to upload

Do you have any footage from that time? I constantly looking on Craigslist for someone from the Bay Area who are selling old MJ tapes because someone else may have it

I wonder if the owners of Soulbeat still have the footage...
The record store where he did the autograph signing was in Berkeley. It was a very popular one. You could find almost any kind of music in there. It had an upstairs and downstairs section. They had MJ signing upstairs near the main entrance.

The teen club that he went to in downtown Oakland was the most popular teen club in town. It was packed every single weekend. It had a very large dance floor and a cool sound system!

The radio station that he went to was one of the favorites. It played all the latest music. It stayed up on everything that was out!

And because you've posted pictures showing him at Soulbeat, I'm now seeing that he went there too! Soulbeat was the station that everyone tuned in to, to watch music videos back in the day. It was the only station that was doing that at the time. We kept our televisions on Soulbeat!

Mike went to ALL the right places. :D

We didn't have a camcorder with us, so I don't have footage. Sorry. My cousin had her camera and took pictures, but that girl is not going to let go of them for me or anyone else! She is hoarding those photos! LOL

It seems like Soulbeat would still have the footage. It should be a major keepsake.

It is such a small world. Thank you so much for posting your pictures online!

Hey, mj_brainiac, can I ask you a favor? Would you mind looking at your tape of the interview to see if you can figure out if he did the interview early in the morning or later in the afternoon? Also, when you looked at the tape of him singing in the club, was he wearing the same clothes? I'm wondering if it's the performance that he did that day.

Yeah, he's wearing the same clothes. At the very end of the clip, you briefly see him at the club signing autographs. I had another tape from CBS Evening News from 1984 where they show him getting off the plane at Oakland Airport and singing at the club. I think I recorded it on another tape so I'll be looking around tomorrow too see. The original tape I had had the Soulbeat interview AND the CBS segment.

If I recall, I had recorded it on another tape just in case :lol: so I gotta look at my old MJ VHS tapes to make sure. If I didn't, I'll have to email my old HS teacher because I left the tape at my high school and he could look around for me

Yeah, he's wearing the same clothes. At the very end of the clip, you briefly see him at the club signing autographs. I had another tape from CBS Evening News from 1984 where they show him getting off the plane at Oakland Airport and singing at the club. I think I recorded it on another tape so I'll be looking around tomorrow too see. The original tape I had had the Soulbeat interview AND the CBS segment.

If I recall, I had recorded it on another tape just in case :lol: so I gotta look at my old MJ VHS tapes to make sure. If I didn't, I'll have to email my old HS teacher because I left the tape at my high school and he could look around for me
Cool! Yep, you've lucked out, mj_brainiac! That's the day MJ came to the Bay Area to promote "Off The Wall." That club that he did his performance in was called "The New Age" and it was located in downtown Oakland. You have footage of a day that he was out promoting his first major solo album!

You go, mj_brainiac!

*HIGH FIVE*

:D :flowers:

Last edited:
Cool! Yep, sounds like you've luck out, mj_brainiac! That's the day MJ came to the Bay Area to promote "Off The Wall." That club that he is sining in was called "The New Age" and it was located in Oakland. You have footage of when he was out promoting his first major solo album!

You go, mj_brainiac!

*HIGH FIVE*

:D :flowers:
I'm sure Soulbeat has it and more footage in their archives. Do you think I should try and contact them?

This is the email address to the programming manager.
programming@soulbeattv.com

I'm terrible at inquiries so maybe you could help me out, AllForMJ:cheeky:

I'm sure Soulbeat has it and more footage in their archives. Do you think I should try and contact them?

This is the email address to the programming manager.
programming@soulbeattv.com

I'm terrible at inquiries so maybe you could help me out, AllForMJ:cheeky:
There's a good chance that they do have footage if the interview was kept at their studio and not at the owner's house. The person that started SoulBeat was Chuck Johnson. He used to live in the Oakland Hills and was living there the day that the huge wild fire swept through and destroyed over 3,000 homes in 1991. I think his home was one of the homes that was destroyed. If he stored the footage of the interview at his home for safe keeping and was unable to get it out in time, it may be gone. Also, FYI, Chucked passed away from bad health years after the fire, so someone else will have to look for the footage.

If Soulbeat's copy of the interview is gone, they may want to see your copy and if so, it's best to not give them your original. It's probably best to show them a copy of a copy. If many of their new people do not know that MJ visited them back in '79 they may get very excited and want to keep it.

Last edited:
There's a good chance that they do have footage if the interview was kept at their studio and not at the owner's house. The person that started SoulBeat was Chuck Johnson. He used to live in the Oakland Hills and was living there the day that the huge wild fire swept through and destroyed over 3,000 homes in 1991. I think his home was one of the homes that was destroyed. If he stored the footage of the interview at his home for safe keeping and was unable to get it out in time, it may be gone. Also, FYI, Chucked passed away from bad health years after the fire, so someone else will have to look for the footage.

If Soulbeat's copy of the interview is gone, they may want to see your copy and if so, it's best to not give them your original. It's probably best to show them a copy of a copy. If many of their new people do not know that MJ visited them back in '79 they may get very excited and want to keep it.
You're absolutely right. I thought Chuck passed away in 2003, right? The fire must've resulted in alot of damage to his health

I really don't know what to say in the email so I have to kinda recite what I'm going to say :lol:

I'll be uploading it really soon! I sent it to my friend and he'll send me the file

I'm talking to some people who may have more footage from this visit

I commented on YouTube, but I'll comment here on too - thanks so for much posting! It's wonderful to find rare footage of MJ =).

I'm talking to some people who may have more footage from this visit
Congrats, mj_brainiac!! And thank you SO much!!

This is SO COOL!!!! OMG!! :wild: And you got footage of him standing up and showing him from the back!!! See?!! The back of his vest is SATIN!!! I saw it when he walked to the limo!! OMG!!! LOL

Before that, each time I saw him, he was sitting down and I was in front of him. I got the color of his pants mixed up with the vest, but I got the color brown in there!! Oh my GOODNESS!! lol Not too bad for a woman in her forties looking back to when she was sixteen and scoping out Michael Jackson, huh?!! LOL :) Mike just has that type of affect on ya! Once you meet him, that moment in time stays with you.
:wub:

Hey brainiac, guess what?!!!! I called my friend that also met MJ that day!! She's the one that kissed him during the autograph signing. She is also the one that he had someone come back to Oakland to find for him. He had the guy bring her to Havenhurst!!!

I emailed her the link to your video so she could go and look at it!! She is sooooo excited, mj_brainiac!!! THIS IS SO COOL!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!! OMG!! lol Be still my heart!!! :lol:

I caught my friend just when she was about to go to sleep, but she was AMPED once I told her!! LOL

Thank God for the human mind and that beautiful thing called memory!!
:lol:

One last thing, remember I described to you guys what he was wearing that day? I told you he was wearing black pants, a black pull-over turtle neck shirt, black boots that came to his ankles that zipped up, and a brown vest that was satin in the back and tapestry in the front. He had just gotten his jeri curl that year.
22-01-2008, 06:57 PM #548

Yep!! He was out promoting "Off The Wall!"

Last edited:
Congrats, mj_brainiac!! And thank you SO much!!

This is SO COOL!!!! OMG!! :wild: And you got footage of him standing up and showing him from the back!!! See?!! The back of his vest is SATIN!!! I saw it when he walked to the limo!! OMG!!! LOL

Before that, each time I saw him, he was sitting down and I was in front of him. I got the color of his pants mixed up with the vest, but I got the color brown in there!! Oh my GOODNESS!! lol Not too bad for a woman in her forties looking back to when she was sixteen and scoping out Michael Jackson, huh?!! LOL :) Mike just has that type of affect on ya! Once you meet him, that moment in time stays with you.
:wub:

Hey brainiac, guess what?!!!! I called my friend that also met MJ that day!! She's the one that kissed him during the autograph signing. She is also the one that he had someone come back to Oakland to find for him. He had the guy bring her to Havenhurst!!!

I emailed her the link to your video so she could go and look at it!! She is sooooo excited, mj_brainiac!!! THIS IS SO COOL!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!! OMG!! lol Be still my heart!!! :lol:

I caught my friend just when she was about to go to sleep, but she was AMPED once I told her!! LOL

Thank God for the human mind and that beautiful thing called memory!!
:lol:

22-01-2008, 06:57 PM #548

Yep!! He was out promoting "Off The Wall!"
WOW! What was your friend's experience at Hayvenhurst like? How long did she stay?

Back