Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Prince...........

Why the hell is he saying he was born Jehovah Witnesses... he got into it just couple of years before!
His mother Mattie was a Jehovah's Witness. So I guess that is how he was born into it. But I don't know if Prince was in it as a kid and left later on. It's been said that his mother asked Prince to join not long before she died and he joined out of her wishes.

Thanks for the videos & article. I hadn't seen the 1st vid. before.

Ebony ~ July 2010

fc6xky.jpg

Exclusive: PRINCE Talks Religion, His Love Life & Much More
Never-before-seen photos and the musical genius in his own words

In a rare interview, the incomparable Prince grants Ebony unprecedented access within the inner courts of the famed Paisley Park, just outside of Minneapolis. During this 12-hour encounter, the musical genius opens up in his own way about topics ranging from his experience going door-to-door as a Jehovah’s Witness to his priorities regarding his relationship with Bria Valente. As the pop star approaches 52, fans can celebrate his life and music with this keepsake July issue featuring him in his own words and signature never-before-seen photos.

Ebony

I'm not a big fan but some of his songs are really timeless stuff and I love them.

from stuff in recent years I looove this one ;)

After Michael, Prince is my second music-ian LOVE...

But ... he (as Michael did) looks too much.... gay-ish...

... that make-up and fashion style... pretty disturbing... for a STR8 man.

oh... BTW ... he is... ageless...

Last edited:

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee BLACK SWEAT.. The best track of Prince since the PARADE era.

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen that.

Dance 4 Me is a great song. I also loved No More Candy 4 U and Ol Skool Company.

MPLSound was a fun little record.

Been listening to this live version since last winter. Watched the clip, instead of just listening. I dig his real voice a lot more than his falsetto, so this is a real treat. His voice got "fattened up" live. If you're familiar with the album version, you'd get what I mean.

Hmmm, I think I prefered the album version. It sounds like he's copping out on some parts and making the backing singers do all the hard work.

i'm still trying to get into him :lol:

Me too...I dont know, whatever I listen to, there's actually no Prince song, that really touches me; except Purple Rain...I want to like his songs cause I also would love to see him live, but...it just doesn't match :no:

Me too...I dont know, whatever I listen to, there's actually no Prince song, that really touches me; except Purple Rain...I want to like his songs cause I also would love to see him live, but...it just doesn't match :no:

Try Sometimes It Snows In April, Circle of Amour or Sweet Baby.

If they don't move you then you have a cold heart.

I realise I'm majorly late to this party (the thread started in 2008!!) but I would consider Prince to be one of my favourite artists of all time. If I were to rank them, he would sit behind MJ (#1) and Darren Hayes (#2), but he's a utter genius.

Some of my favourite Prince songs:

- I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
- Baby I'm A Star
- Cinnamon Girl
- Gold
- Dear Mr Man
- Pussy Control
- Gett Off
- Housequake
- Black Sweat
- Raspberry Beret

Plus all the hits (of course!)... though given the thousands of songs he has released, I realise I still have so much still to hear of this man, lol. And "20Ten" is still to come :-D

I've been bumping the title track ''3221'' alot lately, it has this weird/cool baseline that I like. ''You can come If you want to.. But you can never leave''

Or what about ''Satisfied'' from the same album mentioned above. I like its bluesy feel. ''It's time to send your company home and turn off your cellphone *horns* baby ( I'm just trying) Can't you see that I'm trying to get you satisfied'' LOVE IT!!

woah i reading his biography and all together including this new album he released 34 albums, that's crazy, he got to be the solo artist with the most studio albums

This discography excludes compilations of previously-released material. Prince sold in his career of more than three decades about 100 million records worldwide.

For You (1978)
Prince (1979)
Dirty Mind (1980)
Controversy (1981)
1999 (1982)
Purple Rain (1984)
Around the World in a Day (1985)
Parade (1986)
Sign o' the Times (1987)
Lovesexy (1988)
Batman (1989)
Graffiti Bridge (1990)
Diamonds and Pearls (1991)
Love Symbol Album [116] (1992)
Come (1994)
The Black Album (1994)
The Gold Experience (1995)
Chaos and Disorder (1996)
Emancipation (1996)
Crystal Ball (1998)
The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale (1999)
Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (1999)
Rave In2 the Joy Fantastic (2000)
The Rainbow Children (2001)
One Nite Alone... (2002)
Xpectation (2003)
N.E.W.S (2003)
Musicology (2004)
The Chocolate Invasion (2004)
The Slaughterhouse (2004)
3121 (2006)
Planet Earth (2007)
Lotusflow3r (2009)
20Ten (2010)

woah i reading his biography and all together including this new album he released 34 albums, that's crazy, he got to be the solo artist with the most studio albums.
B.B. King & James Brown has more albums. I believe Willie Nelson, Quincy Jones, & Johnny Mathis does too, and some other older acts have more albums as well. But theirs are over a longer period of time. Prince also has a lot of non-album B-sides and songs on soundtracks. Technically, some of his protege albums like Appollonia 6 or Sheila E are really Prince playing all the music (and in a few cases his band members playing the instruments) with someone else singing. He also has 2 instrumental albums with Eric Leeds & Dr Fink released under the name 'Madhouse'. After the internet came along, Prince has released some songs online only. There is another album not on your list that was released in 1998 called New Power Soul.
Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (1999)
Rave In2 the Joy Fantastic (2000)
These are 2 versions of the same album, the second has some extended versions of a few of the songs from the 1st version.
Xpectation (2003)
The Chocolate Invasion (2004)
The Slaughterhouse (2004)
I think these are bootlegs, not official. Prince is one of the most bootlegged acts ever.

B.B. King & James Brown has more albums.

James Brown hardly released any albums. For the most part he just released singles, and many of the albums he did release were just compilations of the singles (Live At The Apollo, In The Jungle Groove, Sex Machine).

I think these are bootlegs, not official. Prince is one of the most bootlegged acts ever.

Chocolate Invasion, Slaughterhouse and Xpectation are not bootlegs. They are all official digital releases released through NPGMC.

James Brown hardly released any albums. For the most part he just released singles, and many of the albums he did release were just compilations of the singles (Live At The Apollo, In The Jungle Groove, Sex Machine)
Live At The Apollo is a live album, not a collection of singles. There's 2 or 3 different ones released over the years. James had nothing to do with In The Jungle Groove, it was released by Polydor after he left the company. It's kind of a hits compilation with a couple of unreleased songs. That's why it's a mixture of stereo and mono songs. He also participated on or produced albums by the J.B.'s, Lynn Collins, the Dee Felice Trio, and others. James also released a few jazz albums and at least 3 different Christmas albums in the 60s.

Live At The Apollo is a live album, not a collection of singles. There's 2 or 3 different ones released over the years. James had nothing to do with In The Jungle Groove, it was released by Polydor after he left the company. It's kind of a hits compilation with a couple of unreleased songs. That's why it's a mixture of stereo and mono songs. He also participated on or produced albums by the J.B.'s, Lynn Collins, the Dee Felice Trio, and others. James also released a few jazz albums and at least 3 different Christmas albums in the 60s.

I know all of that, but it's still not true that he's released anywhere near the amount of albums Prince has.

I know all of that, but it's still not true that he's released anywhere near the amount of albums Prince has.
James has at least 15 albums in the 60s alone, it doesn't take much to match 34. Most of his albums are out of print, though. Madonna has released around 13 or 14 albums of new material, that's almost half of 34. James has released way more albums than her. I've seen many of James' albums at relatives houses, a lot of them has a picture of his face on the record label. He has a lot of forgotten, obscure albums like Thinking About Little Willie John or Jam 1980.

Yes, but it was very common back then to release the same songs on different albums (much like Dancing Machine appears on two seperate Jacksons albums).

This is why most of JB's back catalogue is compilations. JB albums of all new material (like Hell and The Payback) are far and few between.

I love prince. People have constanty tried to compare Michael and Prince, but it is hard because they are two different artist, yet both are legends.

I agree with you. I don't compare them.

I love prince. People have constanty tried to compare Michael and Prince, but it is hard because they are two different artist, yet both are legends.

Paris Bercy July 1, 2010

[youtube]OUKA7usm4C0[/youtube]

This is a GREAT find, thanks for posting. Seeing the legends from my time coming together recently, love it!

Back