Public and Radio Reaction to "This Is It"

You do realize by doing this your not taking part in keeping Michael's legacy alive?

I don't get the whole boycott Sony thing cause in reality your boycotting Michael. It is about Michael's legacy. Do you really think your $30 purchase is going to make them rich? Fair enough if you were spending $1000 but your not.

Unfortunately the whole world is run by money. Sony are no different. Are you going to boycott your doctor because he/she is getting "payed" to treat you? Or because you have to "pay" for a check up? Everything you do, you pay for. That's life. Nothing is for free and Sony aren't any different.

So the whole I'm going to download thing is stupid in my opinion. It's about Michael's legacy. That's what we at fans need to worry about, why is money always an issue with fans? That is none of our business. Let Michael's estate deal with that, lol.

No one is a hero by downloading instead. lol

But why do you think sony keeps screwing us over and over and over again? Because the fans fall for it every time.

How many compilations have they released now? And they have the nerve to release another one with the excuse "the songs that inspired the movie"? We have those songs, I can look them up in my media player library, I don't need to pay $30 to have them rearranged :lol:

Big BOy is playing the song and getting reactions. Very good.

When the song fades out, I feel like it's Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, it's very rare that MJ fades out a song without sudden dramatic end to a song or a long ad-libbed vamp.

Regardless, it's a really pretty song & I definitely plan to buy the Cd in support of the movie.

I can't wait for remixers like Roger Sanchez, Louie Vega or Francois K remix This Is it, they'll take the vocals & make it a danceable.

Hey hun, OFF TOPIC, but I love ur siggy...and I've been meaning to ask you since Yesterday...what does UNF Mean?lol:D

Hey hun, OFF TOPIC, but I love ur siggy...and I've been meaning to ask you since Yesterday...what does UNF Mean?lol:D

LOL!!!

It's not an acronymn, it's a sound like oomph.

Read MJs hips, he makes the UNF sound each time he moves.

Big BOy is playing the song and getting reactions. Very good.

what did Big Boy say?

I think this song, imho from the OTW era, will please MJ's R&B fans.

I have heard nothing but positive comments from the urban folks.

But why do you think sony keeps screwing us over and over and over again? Because the fans fall for it every time.

How many compilations have they released now? And they have the nerve to release another one with the excuse "the songs that inspired the movie"? We have those songs, I can look them up in my media player library, I don't need to pay $30 to have them rearranged :lol:

I agree with you. But wasn't it Michael that was doing that...like he said at the 'killer thriller' speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW1T1DZdWrA

He said himself to the fans there that he'd just release albums of old songs with like one new song on to fulfill his oblegation to Sony. His intention wasn't to rip off fans as he was telling us exactly what he planned to do so we could choose whether or not to buy.

Now though, MJ is gone, we only have Sony to release his songs, so if we boycott them now, we're boycotting MJ.

I agree with you. But wasn't it Michael that was doing that...like he said at the 'killer thriller' speech.

He said himself to the fans there that he'd just release albums of old songs with like one new song on to fulfill his oblegation to Sony. His intention wasn't to rip off fans as he was telling us exactly what he planned to do so we could choose whether or not to buy.

Now though, MJ is gone, we only have Sony to release his songs, so if we boycott them now, we're boycotting MJ.

Yes he did! That's why I'm not down with this "let's pirate Sony" - this is not what MJ would want us to do

and BTW Rockin':

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Most sensible post of the day!

Unreleased Michael Jackson Song Features Background Vocals From Brothers

Be sure to take a box of Kleenex with you when you see Michael Jackson's "This Is It." Expect people to be crying when watching Michael's posthumous concert film which hits the big screen on Wednesday, October 28.
If seeing footage of a healthy Michael effortlessly firing through production numbers just days before his death does not tug on the heart strings of fans, hearing his previously unreleased song, "This Is It," during the film's closing credits will definitely evoke emotion. The song was released Monday at midnight on MichaelJackson.com.
The song's opening lines are prophetic, as they succinctly summarize what the late King of Pop represents to his global listeners:
"This is it, here I stand
I'm the light of the world I feel grand
This love
I can feel
And I know yet we're sure it is real"

For a second, you feel as though Michael recorded this track for this very moment. The lyrics are actually about gently ending a relationship with a lover.
Michael's voice shines through, displaying the passion he did on "She's Out Of My Life," "Heal The World," and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You."
Hearing his brothers' perfect subtle supporting harmony sweetens the offering in typical Jackson 5 form.
This song makes us miss him that much more.
Disc 1 of the 2-CD set includes a compilation of hits. Disc 2 includes demo recordings of "She Out Of My Life," "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," and "Beat It."
See "This Is It" album complete tracklisting below:
Disc 01
"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
"Jam"
"They Don't Care About Us"
"Human Nature"
"Smooth Criminal"
"The Way You Make Me Feel"
"Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)"
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You"
"Thriller"
"Beat It"
"Black Or White"
"Earth Song"
"Billie Jean"
"Man In The Mirror"
"This Is It"
"This Is It (Orchestra Version)"

Disc 02
"She's Out Of My Life (Demo)"
"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Demo)"
"Beat It (Demo)"
"Planet Earth (Poem)"

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hip...from-brothers/

Well, I streamed the song at midnight. It left no impression on me whatsoever. I think Sony would have been much better off releasing a song like Xscape or A Place With No Name. They are much more modern sounding and catchy. I can't even remember how the melody to This Is It goes. I thought it was painfully obvious that this was a very old song (just listen to Michael's voice) and the way it just randomly faded out sounded half-assed to me.

If Michael was still here, I don't think that he would have ever released this song.

Yeah I know he wasn't happy about the compilation albums but I don't know, I still refuse to buy anymore compilations... I have all his albums and TUC, that's enough. It's a disgrace that they're releasing another one, this is the 5th in 5 years!

If and when they release an album with new songs, I might reconsider. We'll see :timer:

And I am completely OT aren't I? :mello:

Well, I streamed the song at midnight. It left no impression on me whatsoever. I think Sony would have been much better off releasing a song like Xscape or A Place With No Name. They are much more modern sounding and catchy. I can't even remember how the melody to This Is It goes. I thought it was painfully obvious that this was a very old song (just listen to Michael's voice) and the way it just randomly faded out sounded half-assed to me.

If Michael was still here, I don't think that he would have ever released this song.

They released it because of the "This is It" Concerts..I mean, it makes sense. They really need to release A Place With No Name as well :)

...I did not really like the song...I suppose it is OK for the TII endings but really...its missing "the middle"- part that was so important for MJ so that the listener would not get bored...

I read from a Finnish news source that MJ had only managed to do the solo and the piano...the rest is added by the estate.

I don't like where this is going but I suppose we all have to face the facts, MJ is not here anymore doing the songs...we better get used to this...what a dissappointment. I was thinking to order the vinyl set but what's the point...

I understand your point but your missing mine. Its about keeping Michael's legacy alive.

Michael is not here, he can't unfortunately make the decisions. Whatever we get, we get ya know? Even if I don't like the song or album or its another greatest hits album, I always make the effort to buy just one copy. As a fan that's what I do in taking part of keeping Michael's legacy alive which is through his MUSIC.

Yeah I know he wasn't happy about the compilation albums but I don't know, I still refuse to buy anymore compilations... I have all his albums and TUC, that's enough. It's a disgrace that they're releasing another one, this is the 5th in 5 years!

If and when they release an album with new songs, I might reconsider. We'll see :timer:

And I am completely OT aren't I? :mello:

well, do you. Don't buy it if you don't want to.

Don't make others who want to buy it feel like crap (this is not directed at you personally...but there are a bunch of so-called fans who are miserable and feel validated by writing ish to others liking the new song or wanting to support the project).

I never bought Number ones (although I got the essential), and never felt the need to write nonsense because others wanted to.

Last edited:
well, do you. Don't buy if you don't want to. Don't make others who want to buy it feel like crap (this is not directed to you personally...but there are a bunch of so-called fans who are miserable and feel validated by writing ish to others liking the new song or wanting to support the project).

I never bought Number ones (although I got the essential), and never felt the need to write nonsense because others wanted to.

Totally agree!

They released it because of the "This is It" Concerts..I mean, it makes sense. They really need to release A Place With No Name as well :)

I know, it had the same title as the concerts so in that way, it made sense.

I understand your point but your missing mine. Its about keeping Michael's legacy alive.

Michael is not here, he can't unfortunately make the decisions. Whatever we get, we get ya know? Even if I don't like the song or album or its another greatest hits album, I always make the effort to buy just one copy. As a fan that's what I do in taking part of keeping Michael's legacy alive which is through his MUSIC.

I understand your point, but I just don't agree with it. These stunts from sony do more to hurt Michael's legacy than they do to protect it. What artist releases 5 compilations in 5 years? You remember all the bad PR he's received over the years because of Sony's greed.

People don't talk about "his compilation album went number 1!", they talk about "he's releasing another compilation?!".. it all reflects badly on him even if it's not his fault. Sony knows this so why reward them for it? Thankfully they won't be able to blame him anymore.

And memefan.. I love the song too! :lol:

well, do you. Don't buy if you don't want to. Don't make others who want to buy it feel like crap (this is not directed to you personally...but there are a bunch of so-called fans who are miserable and feel validated by writing ish to others liking the new song or wanting to support the project).

Wait a minute..

I was the one that came here and said that the song is fab and we shouldn't worry about negative reviews. When did I become the negative one?

I never asked anyone not to buy the album, I just said that I wasn't going to and then people started quoting me saying I should. Eh?

I personally am disappointed, and I understand why Sony didnt release the song as a single, it would have very little chances to be a (no.1) hit.... with this version.

I expected more beats, up-to-date music, this is the end of 2009, not the 80s..., at least, it sounds similar to One More Chance, or Cry...

I really wonder why the producers didnt let the song remix, most of the remixes sound better than original, if the remix is of the unknown song, nobody would know the difference... and the successful would be certain...

I cant hear the radio reactions claiming This Is It?,... its boring..., ... huh, what a song?..., its crap... and so on...

..., sadly, but mostly they are right..., the excitement has disappeared....

And I agree that this was probably the last chance to have such a promo for Michaels music, there were so huge expectations and finally.... its This is It...

I dont understand such a primitive promotion and production strategy, I would be for the direct marketing exploiting everything than one-off promotion for "This is It", and then let the things sell....

Itd be better to release an album with 10-12 new songs like This is It, and that would be a smash hit...

Last edited:
Yeah I agree that actually Sony did the right thing not releasing that song as a single. It's not up to scratch and was fine as an addition to the This Is It album, but that's it.

My real beef with Sony now is that they mis-represented the song to the fan community and to the media. they gave this song a huge launch when it really didn't warrant it and have now caused a huge anti-climax, which potentially makes Mike look bad. they have showed just how little respect they have for anybody except themselves. Now when a new song is finally released it won't get half as much attention as this did, which is a shame. There are still people out there who believe this is new!:doh:

At this point I really don't care what anyone else think. I can't wait to get the song, but it changes nothing. It want make the pain I feel in my heart go away.

Exactly what is keeping Michael's Legacy Alive. Supporting the ones who murdered him. IMO that's slapping his Legacy in the Face.

As far as boycotting Sony. For me it's not about the money, It's about what they did to him, its the principle behind it all. If someone killed your loved one and you know they did and now they want to make money off of them. You telling me you will support them. I want. I don't give a flying f* about the money. I'm not going to just sit around in oblivion like everything is all good and Michael is not dead, the truth is he is and Sony is partly responsible. I will never forgive any of them for what they did. It's not right they get support from Michaels's fans. It's like their getting their cake and eating it to. What are we left with? A few songs. I would trade all the songs for Michael to be here. Michael gone he is never coming back and I can't get past that. No movie or song is going to make it better. The more I watch Sony and AEG with their smug azz faces the sicker I get. It's like a slap in the face. Yea, you won. You got what you wanted. You took him away from us and we have nothing while you MF'ers are reaping all the benefits. I hate them with a passion.

I hate Sony. I will f* them over any chance I get. Michael boycotted Sony so I guess he was boycotting himself to huh. Michael saw what they were doing. So what we suppose to forget all about that now because he's not here. Nothing has changed, except the fact the Michael ain't here no more to speak out against Sony (Thanks a lot Sony, AEG, Colony, and Executors - job will done)

Sony is not the king of Michael's legacy. Why are we giving them so much power over it. Do you really think they care about Michael's legacy? Why would they. They sure didn't give a f* about him when he was here so why should we think they care now. It don't take Sony to keep Michael's legacy alive. It's us and only us who will keep it alive.

It's like this I am a hater of anyone who hated or hates on Mike. Call me a bad fan. I really don't care. I refuse to sit around like everything is okay and these people are not responsible. How can I support them when I know with everything in me what they did. I just can't. It makes me feel like a hypocrite. I'm mad as hell ya'll murdered him, but that's okay you just took away one of the most important people in my life. I'll still give you my money and support. Nah, can't do it. Want ever happen.

Sorry for the rant. I'm pissed.

Last edited:
I think its a shame the media call it bland and boring. It is an amazing song but the sound quality is not good and it sounds unfinished. Other than that, I love this song. It reminds me of Carousel and its one of my favorite songs of all time.

Now when a new song is finally released it won't get half as much attention as this did, which is a shame. There are still people out there who believe this is new!:doh:

This is what pisses me off! They should not have mislead everyone about it being this NEW song when it isn't! If they said unreleased song from the 80's I wouldn't be pissed.

I hate manipulation and misleading information.

It definitely sounds a lot better on good quality speakers, I just listened on my laptop speakers which highlighted the tinny sound way too much.

Back