Public and Radio Reaction to "This Is It"

Taking advantage of the freshness of his passing and his stratospheric popularity before it simmers down is key! Were they giving the King of Pop the time of day for marketing? Geez!
And yes! How often do you get the single with the title that IS the title of the movie!
Another wasted opportunity by Sony!
What were they thinking????
There will never, never another chance like this again.
Urgh! At times like these it's so tempting to cop out to conspiracy theories...

I dont understand why sony does this??? The song is so nice in the beginning but thats it...you wait for that part that takes it to another level and it doesnt happen...i am very upset...Dear God help us!! Michael WOULD NOT BE HAPPY!

Im not disappointed at the song, Im disappointed at SONY for always making low quality releases, when NUMBER ONES and THE ONE and all those DVD's came out, which I purchased, I was shocked at how they couldnt even release the FULL short films, I think BAD was cut short and whenever they released 'Carousel' it wasn't full version either. Its so poor of them to not put more effort into releasing Michaels work. You'd think on Number Ones short film DVD that they would include the actual full version videos and they added the short versions. I cant understand why.. They constantly give us high expectations and we get bad releases from them.

Im not disappointed at the song, Im disappointed at SONY for always making low quality releases, when NUMBER ONES and THE ONE and all those DVD's came out, which I purchased, I was shocked at how they couldnt even release the FULL short films, I think BAD was cut short and whenever they released 'Carousel' it wasn't full version either. Its so poor of them to not put more effort into releasing Michaels work. You'd think on Number Ones short film DVD that they would include the actual full version videos and they added the short versions. I cant understand why.. They constantly give us high expectations and we get bad releases from them.

I´m with you. Sony must release the full version of the Carousel song one of my fav MJ songs. Why didn´t they release the full version???

I´m with you. Sony must release the full version of the Carousel song one of my fav MJ songs. Why didn´t they release the full version???

I dunno actually...anyone know why they did that?

Listening to dutch radio 3fm - the current program is not gonna play This Is It, cause they think it's crap....

Exactly it is SONY that makes me mad!!

Wait a minute..

I was the one that came here and said that the song is fab and we shouldn't worry about negative reviews. When did I become the negative one?

I never asked anyone not to buy the album, I just said that I wasn't going to and then people started quoting me saying I should. Eh?

re-read my comment.

it was not all directed at you...I clearly made referenced to that.

i like the song i know its a demo... why Sony chosed a demo, i dont know, i think its beautiful, they are holding the best ones for the future, cause the main thing now its the movie, so i dont care, i dont care, Michael is a genius no matter what AND I LOVE THI IS IT!

the end:smilerolleyes:

Im even more confused now that Safire sang the same song 1991, but Michael wrote it? To her? And he made the demo? And Sony released Michaels demo? So confusing.. Well.. anyways.. Michaels version is awesome.

Ok, so I guess we've all heard the new single by now and I visited the site to find out what the general opinion was from radio DJs and the public but I couldn't find an easy reference point.
So I thought I'd let you know what I heard. If you have any news from your local stations (worldwide), feel free to add it hear.

All the stations near why I live were advertising the new song heavily this morning and I heard it premiere on BBC Radio1, Radio2, and Heart.
Overall, the DJs on Radio1 were very respectful. They obviosuly spotted this was not a new song and commented on the poor sound quality of the vocals but they all said they liked the song. Radio 1 is aimed at a young audience (teens to late 20s) and "This Is It" is not the kind of song that fits their programming so I don't expect they'll ever play it again, but I'm glad they didn't criticise the song too heavily. I'm sure the station manager was taken by surprise when he heard it for the first time as Sony advertised this as a 'new' song and he was probably expecting something a little (or A LOT) more modern.
Radio2 played the song later and the host Terry Wogan hadn't seemed to realise it was an old track and said (about Mike) "He still has it". A very brief comment before he played the next song, but maybe they discussed after that, I'm not certain.

Heart played the song after Radio2 and also seemed to like the song.

The song was alos played on GMTV and they had a music critic and a fan on the sofa. Unfortunately the fan was dressed in the Grammy awards costume, complete with shiny glove and socks and the critic was quite brutal with him, but the fan did seem to be slightly deranged. He also didn't seem to realise it was an old song.
The critic said several times that the song isn't very good but admitted he liked MJs catalogue very much and said this song does nothing to add to that. Why do shows have to find 'fanatical fans' to represent the fan community??

Personally I found it disappointing that the song vocal was so 'tinny' and that it is obviously unfinished. the song has managed to get massive coverage and attention, certainly it has across the UK and it is a bit of a let down. No other song released by Michael Jackson in the future (assuming there will be one) will manage to get that kind of attention across such a wide range of stations and I feel the opportunity has been wasted. Sony just found a demo with the same title as the concerts and put it out there, despite the fact there is no proper end to the song and the sound quality isn't up to scratch. They should have made the effort to secure some new material and send it out as a single. With a half good, contempory song, Sony could have achieved so much more. Shame.

CO-SIGN.

you've said all I am thinking and more.

Sony sucks.

All this negativity is ruining the release of a new MJ song. I was really excited about this song, and I love it as well so I can't understand why ure all being so negative. It's a new MJ song, just enjoy it and stop trying to question what Sony has done :)

All this negativity is ruining the release of a new MJ song. I was really excited about this song, and I love it as well so I can't understand why ure all being so negative. It's a new MJ song, just enjoy it and stop trying to question what Sony has done :)

Thank you.
We care about Michael and not Sony.
May all the unreleased songs come forward old and new who cares about the date?

I agree with you. But wasn't it Michael that was doing that...like he said at the 'killer thriller' speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW1T1DZdWrA

He said himself to the fans there that he'd just release albums of old songs with like one new song on to fulfill his oblegation to Sony. His intention wasn't to rip off fans as he was telling us exactly what he planned to do so we could choose whether or not to buy.

Now though, MJ is gone, we only have Sony to release his songs, so if we boycott them now, we're boycotting MJ.

hmm.. that is true.

*thinks*

i like the song i know its a demo... why Sony chosed a demo, i dont know, i think its beautiful, they are holding the best ones for the future, cause the main thing now its the movie, so i dont care, i dont care, Michael is a genius no matter what AND I LOVE THI IS IT!

the end:smilerolleyes:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

This Is It and MJ have been trending topics on Twitter all day. I've been reading people's comments and they're mostly very positive. A lot of people seem to have rushed off to buy tickets for the film because of this song's release.
I love it. It's a nice song. Though I wish it was finished, it's so obvious it's a demo.

Dude...c'mon Now. What is with all these complaining, "I wanst happy with the song, or Its disappointing"??? THIS Is A FULL NEW SONG We've heard from Michael since 2001. I mean really? This is NOT on the NEW ALBUM, It is meant for "This is it" Movie. Some of Y'all really need to get over yo selves. If you dont want to buy it, Dont buy it. If you do, Good for you. If you dont like it good for you too. y'all know Darn well that The music Nowadays are crap. This is the one song that eventhough its from a long time ago, it feels like it belongs here.

Dont y'all remember, how excited we were when we heard this was gonna stream online @ midnight? Its better than what i've heard from other artist b4. I know some dont agree, and think its a dissappointing song, but really, Think about it, this is not even NEW. It is still GREAT after 29 years. Michael is timeless. please support it, you dont HAVE TO BUY IT, but just support it. not may are doing so outside of our circle. We are fans right? then lets stick together.

am not saying dont speak ur mind. I'm saying give a little support. Its the least we can do for him right now. dont y'all think?

Love,
Romi

here in pa usa they have been playing all morning and on the news they said the king of pop has a new hit and they played a snippet of the song and the radio here is loving it and playing it alot. i love the song michaels voice is amazing.love it

I like the song and there seems to be a lot of positive feedback from the radio stations so that's a good thing. I am not disappointed because the advance word was that it was an "unreleased" song. I never took it to mean that it was new but that it hadn't been released for airplay.

Dude...c'mon Now. What is with all these complaining, "I wanst happy with the song, or Its disappointing"??? THIS Is A FULL NEW SONG We've heard from Michael since 2001. I mean really? This is NOT on the NEW ALBUM, It is meant for "This is it" Movie. Some of Y'all really need to get over yo selves. If you dont want to buy it, Dont buy it. If you do, Good for you. If you dont like it good for you too. y'all know Darn well that The music Nowadays are crap. This is the one song that eventhough its from a long time ago, it feels like it belongs here.

Dont y'all remember, how excited we were when we heard this was gonna stream online @ midnight? Its better than what i've heard from other artist b4. I know some dont agree, and think its a dissappointing song, but really, Think about it, this is not even NEW. It is still GREAT after 29 years. Michael is timeless. please support it, you dont HAVE TO BUY IT, but just support it. not may are doing so outside of our circle. We are fans right? then lets stick together.

am not saying dont speak ur mind. I'm saying give a little support. Its the least we can do for him right now. dont y'all think?

Love,
Romi
amazing post
:clapping::clapping::clapping:
you know before anyone knew anything about this is it they were just happy to get there hands on any MJ unreleased song
and now that this came out all I hear is whining and complaining "its old" "it doesn't sound that good" "it sounds like another song" "I think its poo" blah,blah,blah....etc
weren't you the same ppl that were mad at the media for being hypocrites?
and its not just about the song some of you did the same damn thing with the movie starting a club on facebook to make ppl feel guilty about watching it
you know I understood how many of you felt about Sony but you took it too far more than ten threads were started to boycott the this is it soundtrack with some of you saying "oh well we don't need to support the estate there already rich enough" WTF?!!!!
seriously? anyway [/rant]
but with all that said just remember that now its our job to celebrate MJ's legacy and the beautiful human being he was...

This Is It and MJ have been trending topics on Twitter all day. I've been reading people's comments and they're mostly very positive. A lot of people seem to have rushed off to buy tickets for the film because of this song's release.
I love it. It's a nice song. Though I wish it was finished, it's so obvious it's a demo.
which is why its been released. if this had been a song that mj was working on for the film and wanted it released then id support it but this is just a random song that had the same title as the film so sony took it and created the music around mjs vocals.and then declared it a new song like mj was actually working on this at the time of june 25th.its nothing more than P.R by sony using a song that mj did not approve of. if this were a brand new song that mj had been working on for the new album and it was an actual finished track then it could be classed as a new mj track and u could actually care what ppl thought about it. but its a very old demo that has mjs vocals on it and nothing else. not his arrangement not his production and for that reason im not even that fussed about hearing it cause its not his song.its justsony seeing this song with the same title and going yeah we can use this. and getting the bros to sing on it. mike would have loved that!

and mjs legacy is already set in stone. a few thousand fans around the world not buying it isnt gonna make any difference. im not boycotting it cause i was never gonna buy the album in the first place

Last edited:
My radio station is playing it already 10 times. Woow there was a report about in in a TV News show they played like 12 seconds and praised the song very much!!

all the positivity just shows it should have been released as a single then it could have had a good shot at getting into the singles charts and probably hitting high.

all the positivity just shows it should have been released as a single then it could have had a good shot at getting into the singles charts and probably hitting high.
There are 3 versions of the song available at this time, however only 2 versions will appear on the This Is It album.

I somehow got the feeling we MIGHT get a single in SOME FORM...... Why else would they release 3 versions to DJ's, Musics Producers etc and only place 2 on the album?

They've been playing it all day here. My mum sent me a text when I was at work saying she had just heard MJ's new single and how much she loved it!

EDIT-Literally just flicked the TV on and as soon as it came on there was Michael!!!!!!!

I love Michael's voice, I love the song, lyrics. I do not like Sony but, this is Michael. They have hundreds of his unreleased songs. Will we tear them down when they are released? Michael was contracted to Sony guys, we hate it but there is little we can do..Michael is not here to do anything about it. Yes, the end of the song is a repeat but we have nothing else to cling on to. I am definitely buying the CD.
The Cd reflects the songs in the Movie/concert, so where is the confusion? of course it will be a compliation of Michael's songs! he was going to perform these songs, now wasn't he?
Yes, Sony is strapped for cash and wants the maximum returns but if we do not support Michael, Other people will bring him down..Now which will hurt more?
This is all about emotions, here, and we are torn apart. This only goes to show how much we all Love Michael. Even those who are disappointed are sad in their hearts because they wanted a sure Hit!! so do I!! but what can i say? Sony screwed us!!!
I feel like going to Sony's head office here in Culver city, LA and give them a piece of my mind. I may do it!!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/*****_this_is_really_big_CTx1NRrf8iyPvMih6OuNuO

Great article from New York Post.
Last Updated: 11:49 AM, October 12, 2009

AT THE stroke of midnight this morning, more than three months after the death of Michael Jackson, the title track to the "This Is It" documentary hit the Web at MichaelJackson.com -- and the song is such a whopper, it could become the biggest-selling single of all time

"This Is It" is an optimistic, R&B ballad with an upbeat, percolating rhythm that has all the bombast and power of his New Jack Swing period of the early '90s.

That makes plenty of sense. The song was originally recorded, but didn't make the cut, for Jackson's 1991 album, "Dangerous."

This remastered version, which appears in the final scenes of the documentary, is updated with newly recorded backing vocals featuring Michael's brothers.

When the King of Pop starts to sing, there's a hint of whisper in his voice.

"This is it, here I stand, I'm gonna light up the world, I feel grand."

Gentle, yes, but the familiar and creepy little-boy voice was left in the playground.

If this free taste is the kind of song that Michael was working on for the 50 London concerts, you start to believe that had Jackson not died, he might may have enjoyed an artistic renaissance.

This song is part of a two-disc set due Oct. 27.

Not sure if posted already, the Evening Standard gave it 4/5 stars. Their title was" It won't rock your world, but it's a nice Jackson finale".

Song showcases MJ's often-overlooked talent as a singer.

By James Montgomery
Michael Jackson was a hell of a singer.
I only say this because to the casual music fan, it might not be apparent. Whether it was because so much about him — his dance moves, his style, his swagger — was so dynamic, or because he rarely spoke above a whisper, or even because he frequently peppered his verses with vocal ticks (like those oft-imitated "Hee-hee's"), Jackson remains one of the most underrated vocal artists in music history.

And that's a shame, because his voice was a wondrous thing, capable of reaching both towering heights (the final verse of "Rock With You") and depths ("Childhood"). It was technical, but it was also decidedly human, too, full of pump-priming rage ("Man in the Mirror") one minute, tethered tenderness the next ("She's Out of My Life"). It was a finely tuned instrument that, when unfurled, revealed all the pain and frustration and joy of Jackson's life ... a window inside the man's soul. It could stop you in your tracks and raise the hair on the back of your neck. It was something to behold.
But don't take my word for it. Just listen to "This Is It," the title track to Jackson's posthumous concert-film/double album that premiered at midnight on Monday (October 12). Because if anything, it's reinforcement of my original point: Jackson was a powerhouse vocalist.
The origins of the song may remain cloudy — it was reportedly written in 1980, in the fertile period between Jackson's Off the Wall and Thriller albums, and recorded in the mid-to-late '80s, in between the Bad and Dangerous albums — but really, none of that really matters: "This Is It" is a prime showcase for Jackson's prodigious pipes, which means that the best way to experience it — indeed, the best way to pay tribute to the man and his music — is to turn the volume up, sit back, and just listen.
Ignore the trilling strings, and the soft-jazz/light-funk backing track (which sort of make the song sound like Off the Wall's "I Can't Help It.") Block out the hype surrounding the song's release and the drama surrounding Jackson's death. Focus on those vocals — the way Jackson counts it in with a boyish "one, two, three, four," the way he glides from verse to verse with breathless, effortless phrasing, the lean-yet-heavy falsetto, the hint of gravel (and gravitas) is the verses, the soaring choruses — it's all there, untarnished by time or tabloids. And it's all wonderful.
In a lot of ways, "This Is It" might be the perfect Michael Jackson tune. And by that I mean, while it's by no means his best, or his most memorable, it might be his most representative. It's a mixture of his yearning early years and his messianic later period, and it shines a light on the best aspects of both: His voice.
Because, just in case you weren't aware, Michael Jackson was a hell of a singer.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1623610/20091012/jackson_michael.jhtml

Back