Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

la_cienega;3743194 said:
The fact that Spike Lee used Joe Vogel and not useless Taraborrelli reflects that Spike really put some thought into this project. He wanted to use people who cared about MJ as an artist, not useless tired gossips.

Joe Vogel tweeted to Roger what Taraborelli said about Joe's book.

@showbiz411 FYI "This is the kind of book about Michael Jackson’s music, artistry and creativity that really needed to be written — and Joseph Vogel has done it and done it very well. I am absolutely floored by Joe’s in-depth research and perceptive insight into what made Michael the one-of-a-kind, recording-breaking King of Pop. And — amazingly enough — even I learned a lot!" — J. Randy Taraborrelli

and another tweet:
Just heard about @showbiz411's comments re my book. I guess he doesn't realize my book came out over a year ago and is still competing on Amazon with a book that was just released. http://www.joevogel.net/man-in-the-music

Hahaa, well said Joe. Roger is stuck in the 90's.

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

That's not true.

191647_original.gif

Can't wait to get the dvd. I can see the bits and pieces, but it ain't like watching the whole thing.
I'd wanna take the time out and let it do the talking to me, if you catch my drift.
I'll watch as an MJ fan wanting all the super rare footages and candid moments, but also I'll try to look at it like it's any other documentary (won't be easy, but I'll try!) cuz I'd love to figure out Spike Lee's view on the era.

I saw quite a few adverts for the Rolling Stones documentary on the BBC channels, which was of course helped by the fact it was split into two parts and so they advertised both parts The rolling Stones also appeared on a 'One Show Special' filmed at the rehearsals for their latest concerts. I appreciate that MJ's not here so he can't do that, but it would be nice if Spike or somebody could do the rounds to promote a show in the UK.
I remember when the Immortal shows started there was no promotion on UK TV that I ever saw (although there was a rumour a TV ad was broadcast at some point). I was expecting the Cirque cast to do some TV appearances or something.
Apparently BBC1's 'Strictly Come Dancing' played an MJ medley (including Dangerous and In The Closet!) with the dance troop 'Flawless' during the results show on Sunday(?) but I didn't see it so I have no idea if they promoted BAD25. Does anybody know if the presenters mentioned BAD25 or if an advert was shown before/after the show?

It always seems to be the case that Michael Jackson 'products' just aren't promoted these days. It's almost as though they're expected to sell themselves.

Also, she's a huge fan of MJ.
When I saw the Monster Ball, between the sets (from when doors opened and between the opening acts), there was nothing but Michael Jackson songs over the PA system at all the shows. Plus, she was going to be an opening act at the This Is It shows.

The Monster Ball tour alone has 201 shows all around the world! :eek:

It sucks that in some of those countries, the shows were cancelled or there was a lot of stuff to go through to play there (despite selling out the stadiums) in those backwards countries.

Don't think so. Until I've heard it from the TII people, I'll believe it. You may or may not have been a fan since then but I remember lots of BS about TII like:
Leona Lewis was going to sing Scream
JLS were the warm up act
The show was going to last a mere 20 minutes
Calvin Harris was also a warm up act.
Anything I hear about TII is taken with a HUGE pinch of salt.

I saw quite a few adverts for the Rolling Stones documentary on the BBC channels, which was of course helped by the fact it was split into two parts and so they advertised both parts The rolling Stones also appeared on a 'One Show Special' filmed at the rehearsals for their latest concerts. I appreciate that MJ's not here so he can't do that, but it would be nice if Spike or somebody could do the rounds to promote a show in the UK.
I remember when the Immortal shows started there was no promotion on UK TV that I ever saw (although there was a rumour a TV ad was broadcast at some point). I was expecting the Cirque cast to do some TV appearances or something.
Apparently BBC1's 'Strictly Come Dancing' played an MJ medley (including Dangerous and In The Closet!) with the dance troop 'Flawless' during the results show on Sunday(?) but I didn't see it so I have no idea if they promoted BAD25. Does anybody know if the presenters mentioned BAD25 or if an advert was shown before/after the show?

Qbee posted a thread on it in another forum.
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...tly-girls-get-there-groove-on-the-dance-floor

No mention of mj at the beginning or end. The medley didn't include any songs from bad.

I refuse to let anything cloud my enjoyment of this doc, but the climate in the uk esp around the bbc is not great, and maybe they're keeping things lowkey, idk.

Qbee posted a thread on it in another forum.
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...tly-girls-get-there-groove-on-the-dance-floor

No mention of mj at the beginning or end. The medley didn't include any songs from bad.

I refuse to let anything cloud my enjoyment of this doc, but the climate in the uk esp around the bbc is not great, and maybe they're keeping things lowkey, idk.

You could be right about it being 'low key'. My wife bought the latest TV Guide today and I expected to see some kind of feature or article in there but there was nothing (except the TV listing itself on the Saturday page). No promo or mention of the documentary at all. It wasn't even listed as highlight of the day.

I noticed too that they have put the show directly up against the FINAL of 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Outta Here!" on ITV which is the 2nd biggest show in the UK at the moment. When it comes to that show my wife wears the trousers so I'll be recording BAD25, not watching it live. With IACGMOH getting 10million plus viewers, and with zero advertising AFAIK, I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at under 2million for BAD25.

The recent rolling stones documentary which was shown during 'Stones Night' on BBC doesn't feature in the top 10 shows of the week shown on BBC2, which means that even with the advertising it had on BBC1 and BBC2 and the 'One Show Special' it had less than 2.18million(!) viewers.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weekly-top-programmes?

EDIT:
According to the Guardian, Crossfire Hurricane only managed 900,000 viewers(!) so I'm revising my optimistic BAD estimate to less than 1.5million but wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 1million.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/26/strictly-come-dancing-tv-ratings

That reminds me, it looks like the BBC cancelled MJ night.

Lady Gaga was not going to open for Michael at the o2. Michael told Travis Payne that he thought she was good and Travis should get in to her. That was as far as that went. She may have attended a show but AEG were hardly going to pay for her to perform when their star was Michael. I don't think any support acts were actually booked to he honest.

I even remember she told that on Larry King, the two magical words to have attention worldwide are Michael Jackson and then I remember Kenny denied such claim. What a lame attempt to have people speaking about you! :doh:

Last edited:

lol, experts here.

The Mail On Sunday TV magazine had Bad25 listed as the TV Highlight for Saturday ( or words to that effect) and had a small description of the documentary and photo of Michael.

I agree with you completely. He's Frank's good friend, -however, he really does Frank a disservice by his tabloidy comments about Michael. And it bothers me when he wants to give total credit for the success of BAD album and tour all to Frank. Michael and Frank obviously had some problems after Moonwalker, but Frank stayed loyal and loved Michael to the end-if anybody could have written a tell all book, it would have been Frank and he never did such a thing-even when Michael died, he gave interviews where he said he would take certain things (like girlfriends) with him to the grave. I wish Roger would respect Frank's love and devotion for Michael and print stories that are interesting and informative. I'm sure he must know some entertaining stories from the tour, recording sessions, and video shoots.

tumblr_lecphgo2WE1qcyk3h.gif

lol, experts here.

It's not true. Regardless of how you feel about it. That rumor came about from RedOne I believe, who also produced some songs on her last album, and some songs on Michael's Invincible album. RedOne said he liked Gaga, and found some similarities with Michael in their work ethic and eagerness to be the best at whatever they do. He then said that he thought Michael would like her too. Somewhere along the way, someone interpreted that as "Michael wants her as the opening act".

Kenny Ortega denied such claim. So did Travis Payne, if I'm not mistaken.

tumblr_lmgho7w9L11qebgslo1_500.gif

I even remember she told that on Larry King, the two magical words to have attention worldwide are Michael Jackson and then I remember Kenny denied such claim. What a lame attempt to have people speaking about you! :doh:

It's not true. Regardless of how you feel about it. That rumor came about from RedOne I believe, who also produced some songs on her last album, and some songs on Michael's Invincible album. RedOne said he liked Gaga, and found some similarities with Michael in their work ethic and eagerness to be the best at whatever they do. He then said that he thought Michael would like her too. Somewhere along the way, someone interpreted that as "Michael wants her as the opening act".

Kenny Ortega denied such claim. So did Travis Payne, if I'm not mistaken.

It seems someone doesn't have better arguments than ours and it's :rant: about it. I just remember Kenny did such thing not Travis but he probably did as well and I didn't know about it.

At what time will BAD25 be broadcast on BBC?

Also, she's a huge fan of MJ.
When I saw the Monster Ball, between the sets (from when doors opened and between the opening acts), there was nothing but Michael Jackson songs over the PA system at all the shows. Plus, she was going to be an opening act at the This Is It shows.

The Monster Ball tour alone has 201 shows all around the world! :eek:

It sucks that in some of those countries, the shows were cancelled or there was a lot of stuff to go through to play there (despite selling out the stadiums) in those backwards countries.

YEAH- indonesia missed BOTH MICHAEL (on the dangerous tour and probably the history tour too) AND GAGA! indonesia's loss.

i feel bad for the fans though. i've seen photos of happy indonesian girls with hijabs with their gaga tickets before their concert got cancelled :( 50000 tickets were sold!

Don't think so. Until I've heard it from the TII people, I'll believe it. You may or may not have been a fan since then but I remember lots of BS about TII like:
Leona Lewis was going to sing Scream
JLS were the warm up act
The show was going to last a mere 20 minutes
Calvin Harris was also a warm up act.
Anything I hear about TII is taken with a HUGE pinch of salt.

Lady Gaga said in Larry King she was going to be opening act on TII?
I can easily believe it as she could be something MJ would select as his opening act.

I think there is room for interpretation while listening what she says:)

At what time will BAD25 be broadcast on BBC?

9:45

Last edited:

I agree with you completely. He's Frank's good friend, -however, he really does Frank a disservice by his tabloidy comments about Michael. And it bothers me when he wants to give total credit for the success of BAD album and tour all to Frank. Michael and Frank obviously had some problems after Moonwalker, but Frank stayed loyal and loved Michael to the end-if anybody could have written a tell all book, it would have been Frank and he never did such a thing-even when Michael died, he gave interviews where he said he would take certain things (like girlfriends) with him to the grave. I wish Roger would respect Frank's love and devotion for Michael and print stories that are interesting and informative. I'm sure he must know some entertaining stories from the tour, recording sessions, and video shoots.

He is no different than other columnists that writes Thriller success was due to Quincy and Swedien, MJ was just a pretty face on the album cover. BAD tour success was down to Dileo, MJ had nothing to do it.
That seems to be life story of MJ according to some of these people:no:

Roger is not important, he is just a modern day Hedda Hopper:D

I was kinda 'sceptical' about it :blush:
Then I got a link and I watched it on YT :cheeky:

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] Well, I was amazed by the quality of it... It really had the 'focus' on the music and creative juice of Michael [/FONT]:wub:
[FONT=arial, sans-serif] I felt 16 again watching it...? It's one of the BEST Docus I've seen in awhile... I know all their names but it's nice to see the 'person' behind all these names...
The ONLY
[/FONT]
:beee: about the Docu is...[FONT=arial, sans-serif] on [/FONT]0:55 that I suddenly faced Jermaine with that 'awful' news :( My :heart: went into overdrive there :no:
Luckily it ended on a POSITIVE message...
We'll make that change, Michael... ONLY for YOU ;)

Bubs;3743982 said:
Joe Vogel tweeted to Roger what Taraborelli said about Joe's book.

@showbiz411 FYI "This is the kind of book about Michael Jackson’s music, artistry and creativity that really needed to be written — and Joseph Vogel has done it and done it very well. I am absolutely floored by Joe’s in-depth research and perceptive insight into what made Michael the one-of-a-kind, recording-breaking King of Pop. And — amazingly enough — even I learned a lot!" — J. Randy Taraborrelli

and another tweet:
Just heard about @showbiz411's comments re my book. I guess he doesn't realize my book came out over a year ago and is still competing on Amazon with a book that was just released. http://www.joevogel.net/man-in-the-music

Hahaa, well said Joe. Roger is stuck in the 90's.
Roger is an idiot. I really liked Man In The Music, and I think Joe Vogel is great. Funnily enough one of my biggest problems with the book were the references to Taraborrelli who I can not stand. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned or have his book quoted in a serious book about Michael.

Its on tonight here in australia :wild: :dancin: but i wont be watching it though cuz it is on too late so i will be recording it . I will be watching it tomorrow

I have 3 more days to go before I can watch it:chillin:

Totes wanna see the BBC rip this weekend.
At least then I'll have the bonus material to look forward to on the Blu Ray

Are Australia showing it in full? Have Canada showed it yet? Or Italy?

Are Australia showing it in full? Have Canada showed it yet? Or Italy?

It's been aired in Canada....Edited version...

Just looked for Oz, appears to be a 90 minute slot. So it seems the BBC will be the first to air it entirely uncut in English. Nice.

Good scheduling for Australia though, straight after the ARIA awards.

don't mean to sound greedy or rude, but this is for the UK. Spike Lee gave us this in its entirety, it was his choice to edit it for the US. all I'm saying is that people should take what they're given.

Back