The 2011 VMA AWARD SHOW !! UPDATE Michael Jackson Vanguard Award has been reinstated

:bugeyedARE YOU SERIOUS @RUSSELL BRAND
:no:I cannot believe some of the "Back-Handed" compliments he gave regarding Amy Winehouse..absolutely UNCALLED for and UNECESSARY :angry:!! Honestly..disrepectful or at least inappropriate..:sideways:

:clap: @Bruno Mars did a great version of her song, you could tell he loved her too !!:boohoo::cry:

:clap: @Tony Bennet wow how amazing to have the sweetiest moments of the TRUE Amy Winehouse..:cry:to see her smiling and hugging will be the last image of her in my heart
Thank-you Tony!! Her voice was still so BEAUTIFUL it never left her !!
:angel:Go see Michael Amy he's got your back little angel.. :angel:

:bugeyed:black_eye: Lil Wayne oh lil wil , that was so messed up at so out of your character, you must have been shaking in your diamond teeth and blue underwear to have to sing god-forbid a slow ballad :dropdead::bugeyed :fortuneteller::puke:Wesie please in the future just say NO to drugs ok :mat:at least we only had to suffer through watching your under wear hang out for 2mins:puke:..:baby:

Last edited:
Bruno Mars was sincere. I'll give him that but I didn't like his version of Valerie.But even Amy deserved a better tribute than this. Whatever MTV sucks big time, but we all have been knowing this for years if not decades. Also big props to Gaga and Britney again for mentioning Michael. He deserved it.

I never liked Lady Gaga but if it was her idea to say Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award then she's gone up in my book. I hope it was MTV reinstating the name, but if it wasn't then I hope from now on every time it will be presented the presenter will say Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award until MTV don't get it and don't reinstate the name officially!

I didn't watch the award show I only tape it. Just in case Michael's name was mention. But I'm glad that Michael's name has been mention on the awards show. And I am really glad that they put Michael's name back on the Vanguard award. But ever since MTV did what they did to Michael. I have since been forever done with that station. I personally wish that channel never even existed.

I hope it is really reinstated. I don't really like MTV but I hope they did this especially since Michael's birthday is tomorrow.

Re: The 2011 VMA AWARD SHOW !!

I'm sorry. I really don't like Lady Gaga's show opener. It's tasteless. The smoking, the drinking, the ranting... Argh. :(

Waiting for Beyonce's performance now.

Did you expect otherwise? =/

Alright, I didn't watch the rest of the show--we had a meeting, so the opening was the only thing I managed to watch before the RA turned the TV off. It was one of the worst MTV has had, unsurprisingly. Yeah, it's no longer music television, but that's beside the point.

Katy Perry winning video of the year for Firework is a bit ridiculous, even though I like the video. I just don't think it's that great. I like her too, but I don't think she's very impressive.

The only interesting thing that happened, from what I have read, was Britney Spears being presented with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award. Nice that things are going in the right direction, for once, and congratulations to Britney.

Last edited:
:scratch:I know it but foolish me I still keep watching these Awards shows to see if it's going to be able capture me completely like Michael did...and painfully it hurts so bad to have LOST that spark of anticipated EXCITEMENT & MAGIC Michael brought every single time ... Deep in my heart I only watch to see if they will mention or give shout outs to Michael..how sad I feel that if Michael is not mentioned or respected and appreciated I do NOT care what Awards show comes on, I am just not impressed anymore..the fear is never being that EXTRODINAIRILY happy again to just watch an Awards show Michael is on !! So uterly disappointing and forgetable.. It was Michael that made me run home, skip school, call in sick from work, cancel every appointment or plans to be home and to be in front of that screen to see him..and no body better call while Michael was on or they would be sorrowly ignored ! It was all worth it, all of it to see Michael even for 4 mins, worth it, I lived for it..
:dropdead:I know it I am a fool I do it to myself, every show every year, and with every show I get more and more indifferent to it ALL..
No one else could save any of them exept Michael..no plan B no recovery no CURE MTV !! Accept it I am every YEAR !!
:cry::boohoo::hearspeaksee:

:birthday:
:angel:Happy Birthday Michael , I love you with all I am more everyday..:angel:

It was Michael that made me run home, skip school, call in sick from work, cancel every appointment or plans to be home and to be in front of that screen to see him..and no body better call while Michael was on or they would be sorrowly ignored ! It was all worth it, all of it to see Michael even for 4 mins, worth it, I lived for it.

It sounds like you're talking about me. This was me. :sad:

I really don't think it was lady gaga's idea. i don't think she's a big enough fan to KNOW that its even called the MJ vanguard award. during rehearsals or whatever when they got told what they were doing, they prob said 'ur presenting mj blah blah'; and like someone said, she prob read of a tele-prompter anyway. but go brit and gaga for sayingn it either way

I don't mean to spoil the thrill. But I will NEVER forgive MTV for the public humiliation they subjected MJ to in life. They can rename all their lame awards to his name all they want, it's not going to erase what they did to him. Plus, their renaming of that award to his name wasn't really about paying tribute to him. It was more of a business decision to draw ratings given the popularity of MJ these days. They know MJ fans will be tuning in every year just to see who the lucky winner is.

How can we find out if MTV reinstated the award OR was Lady Gaga making a point? If it was the latter then we should send her our thanks for doing the right think for Michael.

@passy, I agree with you.

I watched it for like an hour and got hella bored! My niece was over and she wanted to watch it. lol But, I quickly went back online to entertain myself with something better. But, I was happy that Mj was mentioned from both Gaga and Brit! It made me happy and I'm glad I got to see that lil part...the best part for me!

I just read an article sayin Britney won the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award and I was like HUH hahaha.. I needed to come in here and verify if its actually true or not, i hope that MTV actually reinstated it...

Last edited:
Great great heard MTV have reinstated the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award. But like some fans, I will never forgive MTV for the sick joke they played on Michael with the "Artist of The Millenium Award" in 2002. MTV have to do a lot more to honor Michael than reinstating the Vanguard Award in his name. It's great news, but just the first step in a big apology they owe Michael.

Hypocrites. U can bet they are only doing it in the hope of getting the kids there to present it one day

I am glad they finally reinstated the full name to the award, but its a little bitter sweet considering what they did to Michael when he was alive.

Really MTV video vanuard awards should be renamed completely to the Michael Jackson video awards considering MTV wouldnt exist without him

Pfft MTV will do anything to get a few extra viewers even if it means reinstating a much respected award they removed or even giving hoax awards to the greatest artist when he was still walking amongst us.

GaGa was just odd - what was that all about?

I guess maybe putting the mj vanguard award bck to mtv show is their way of "apologising

I am glad they finally reinstated the full name to the award, but its a little bitter sweet considering what they did to Michael when he was alive.

Really MTV video vanuard awards should be renamed completely to the Michael Jackson video awards considering MTV wouldnt exist without him

I agree, but at least it is one small step in the right direction....hopefully more steps will follow.....

Well regardless of the reasons of why they reinstated it, I'm glad that the first person to recieve it as it is has gone to someone as deserving as Britney..Also I really appreciate her for saying how much of an inspiration he is to her, as well mentioning his birthday, thanks Britney!
2rdvyc7.gif

The award -- once called the Lifetime Achievement Award and later renamed in memory of Michael.

The following is a list of recipients of the MTV Video Vanguard Award. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Vanguard_Award !!!!!!!!!!

1988 - Michael Jackson changed the music video from a mere promotional tool featuring musicians playing instruments and singing, to a piece of art with a storyline, or as Jackson liked to put as 'short films'. His video Thriller influenced and changed music videos into what it is like today.

Madonna found immense popularity by pushing the boundaries of lyrical content in mainstream popular music and imagery in her music videos, which became a fixture on MTV. Her videos have depicted controversial subjects such as teen pregnancy, racism, religion, sex, and violence. And she received this Lifetime Achievement Video Vanguard Award in 1986 for her contributions to the world of music video.

Janet Jackson - Her music videos from the 1980s became a catalyst for MTVs developing demographics. Her Broadway-style choreography and militant iconography were well received by critics and audiences. She was acknowledged as a role model for youth (especially young women) for imbuing her performances with a socially conscious message - 1990

The Video Vanguard Award, also known as the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award or the Lifetime Achievement Award, is given to musicians who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture.
The award is also given to music video directors who have created some of the most popular and acclaimed music videos in MTV history. The award has come under fire because MTV hardly handed the award out during the 1990s and 2000s. While the recipients of the award have included some of the most popular and acclaimed artists in MTV history, MTV has been criticized for not handing out the award to other artists that some see as having an effect on MTV (such as Nirvana, Tupac Shakur, Mariah Carey, Run-DMC and Bruce Springsteen).

Last edited:
I couldn't watch the show, but reading through this thread I want to say Kudos to Gaga and Britney for their kind comments about Michael.

As for the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award being reinstated, it's sort of bittersweet. It should never have been removed in the first place. Too little, too late now that Michael's no longer here. Does a person really have to die to be appreciated again?

Anyways, I'll just gulp down my anger and be happy since reinstating is better than it been cancelled forever. His name will now be read out in the future VMA ceremonies, and bring him closer to younger generations. Plus it's his B'day.

BUT seriously the VMAs would have lacked the magic of yesteryears, so ima bring it back to you ;)

Back