The Bad Tour Discussion Thread

Well at the time I was 16 and I went with my sister and her best friend.

Michael was LOVED by EVERYBODY back then. He could do no wrong with the public.

Just the sheer mention of his name would send people into a frenzy and that's the truth.

As this was my first concert, I didn't know what to expect. I had never seen such a large amount of people in one place before. and I was terrified. LOL

Helicopters were hovering...there was music playing...Hamburger stands.... and merchandise were everywhere. Most of the fans were wearing "Bad" and "Thriller" t-shirts. (Including myself). Fans were playing MJ music from their ghetto-blasters whilst flicking through their "Bad" tour books.

When the gates to roundhay park opened I remember people RUSHED forward. Some even toppled and fell over...I tried to run with my sister and her friend to get a place near the front but It was just to crazy.

People were dashing left, right and centre to get their place because back then there was no such thing as allocated seats...It was a football pitch or a park and people could stand and dance if they felt like it.

When the show started, there was no chance of dancing because a sea of fans pushed forward with their arms outstretched for Michael. I was crushed. Fans were crying...some screaming and even fainting. Some had to be lifted over the barriers to get medical help. It was a really scary experience for someone of my age.

When I see old clips of the tour everything comes flooding back to me how I felt on that day.
Nothing can EVER replace the feeling of being at a MJ concert...especially with the "Bad" tour as this was when he was at height of popularity.

Michael played ALL his biggest hits from "Bad". Even "Dirty Diana" which I adored..and still do.

No artist I have ever seen after that has ever measured up to MJ
The man will ALWAYS be my idol, but I'm thankful for seeing him before all the hostility and controversy arose.

He was simply amazing!!!!!

OMG! This has brought all my memories flooding back! I saw him on the Bad tour in 1988 at Wembley Stadium and it is still one of the best days of my life! I remember thinking we'd never be able to see him on stage because the queue was so long outside but once we got in there, the pitch was barely a quarter full so we legged it to get as close as we could! The support act was Kim Wilde (most famous for We're the Kids in America for those that don't know!) and she was good, but when Michael came on stage, the whole stadium erupted and everyone surged forward. I swear my feet left the floor & I just had to go with the crowd. It was scary and exciting (but is also the reason I won't be taking my 12 year old daughter if I manage to get tickets to the O2)! I remember Michael singing live[/] to every track which was why I ended up a bit disappointed when I saw hime 4 years later in Cardiff where he mimed a lot of the time.

To this day, I'm still not sure how we got through the day. We got into the stadium around 4pm and didn't leave until gone 10pm with no toilet break for fear of losing our place! Lol!!

It was a truly amazing experience! I'd be over the moon if they brought a dvd out of the bad tour (especially if it was from Wembley).

To this day, I'm still not sure how we got through the day. We got into the stadium around 4pm and didn't leave until gone 10pm with no toilet break for fear of losing our place! Lol!!

You had much shorter days then me at Wembley Stadium during the Bad Tour in 1988. I would arrive at the stadium between 8.30 and 9am, and Michael never came on stage until 8pm. I also didn't eat or drink on those long day's and would arrive home with really bad headache because of that. The same thing happened during the Dangerous Tour in 1992, but by the time of the History Tour many fans had worked out you had the arrive at the Wembley not later than 9am to get close to the stage.

One of the reasons I'm happy Michael's playing at the O2 is because I always hated waiting outside Wembley for a whole day, ie 9am-3pm sitting on the steps outside the stadium, then 4pm-8pm standing in the stadium waiting for the support acts, and that it was far more relaxing when Michael arrived on stage at 8pm and the concert ended at 10pm. Then afterwards a headache would arrive. Michael playing at the O2 means I can go to see him in concert, arrive just an hour before he's due on stage and be able to drink and go home without a headache. I actually did the same thing at the O2 for the press conference on thursday, waited all day got a close up view of Michael which gave me some awesome video footage. But went home with a bad headache.

I'll be going to as many of Michael's O2 concerts as possible, I don't expect Michael's performances to be anywhere near as good as the Bad Tour. But I wouldn't be suprised if his performances are better than both the Dangerous and History Tours, because I think Michael was quite complacent on those tours, though he was ill on the Dangerous Tour would throat problems which is way some songs were lip-synced.

Thinking back (my memory's terrible!), we would have arrived at the stadium earlier than that becasue they opened the gates at 4. We went by coach (all inclusive if you know what I mean) so were tied to their timetable. Had I been able to, I'd have been there earlier too. I don't remember getting a headache... I just remember the sheer exhilaration of seeing him on stage... followed by the most severe comedown ever a couple days later! Lol!

After posting last night, I spent the rest of the evening on youtube watching Bad tour performances! He really was awesome!

i remember it like it was yesterday...it was 1989 and we had just got our tickets to the LA Show. Front row baby!!
i remember the atmosphere was like no other! the crowd and the noise was amazing. seeing michael emerge was just ahhhhhhhhhh! and the rumbling of wbss filled the arena and shook it down! michael flashed a wink/smile just b4 his arm shot out and the beat started. i was jumping like crazy singing the words. as we moved thru-out the songs i was getting more and more anxious to see michaels next move, during shes out of my life the girl 2 seats away from me was called on stage and she trembled and shook like crazy! it was so funny and cute the way michael affected her gently caressing her shoulder b4 wrapping her into a hug. the crowds pitch rose even higher. as the show progressed the magic grew stronger. when that billie jean beat broke all hell broke loose,as michael slided and glided across that shiny shimmery sleek stage. we moved forward with the show and when i heard michael go into man in the mirror (my all time fav mj song/song ever) i nearly fainted. the crisp white shirt was pure magic...it glowed while on michael. with each spin kick and dropped to the knees i was mesmerized. he reached his hand out to the audience and i swear i tocuhed it it was sooooooooo magical...

but if only it were true lol

for some odd reason i got excited when i read this..and i wrote it lol

awwwwww...I love r eading you guy's stories!!!!!!!!! :yes: *sigh*

I don't remember getting a headache.

I think those headaches are just something I get, when I've been out all day with nothing to eat or drink.

I just remember the sheer exhilaration of seeing him on stage... followed by the most severe comedown ever a couple days later! Lol!

After posting last night, I spent the rest of the evening on youtube watching Bad tour performances! He really was awesome!

I also remember the sheer exhilarartion of seeing Michael perform. And seeing him at the Mayfair Hotel he was staying at. It also took may day's to claim down after I first saw Michael in concert, I found it hard to concentrate because I saw what amazing, and nothing a surpassed my expectations as much as Michael on the Bad Tour. I was expecting him to be brilliant, but not as amazingly superhuman as what I saw. Michael on the Bad Tour was more physically imposing and powerful than any artist could ever hope to be. I've never seen such power coming from a human, really !!!

The Bad Tour is the greatest thing I've ever experienced, and I'm always watching footage of the Bad era and tour.

Last edited:
F**K Yeah!!!!!

I am getting some new amateur audios from bad tour

All these are new unheard recordings and all recorded on HQ equipment

WEMBLEY STADIUM14. 7.88
WEMBLEY STADIUM15. 7.88
WEMBLEY STADIUM 22. 7.88
WEMBLEY STADIUM 26. 7.88
LEEDS ROUNDHAY PARK ARENA
LIVERPOOL AINTREE RACECOURSE

F**K Yeah!!!!!

I am getting some new amateur audios from bad tour

All these are new unheard recordings and all recorded on HQ equipment

WEMBLEY STADIUM14. 7.88
WEMBLEY STADIUM15. 7.88
WEMBLEY STADIUM 22. 7.88
WEMBLEY STADIUM 26. 7.88
LEEDS ROUNDHAY PARK ARENA
LIVERPOOL AINTREE RACECOURSE

Holy sh*t will you be sharing these with us?!

Speaking of the Bad Tour, I managed to win one of the two released bootleg LPs from Rome 1988 called "My Way" from eBay.

The other LP, called "Michael Jackson Live" is from Turin.

I have a question. When i viewed the list of dates during the bad tour, i wondered why China wasn't in the list. I saw the bad around the world documentary and it had a segment of MJ in china.

I have a question. When i viewed the list of dates during the bad tour, i wondered why China wasn't in the list. I saw the bad around the world documentary and it had a segment of MJ in china.

During the Japan and Australia concerts, Michael took trips to Hong Kong, a place that he always wanted to go to. His main reason was to have big shopping trips! In "Around the World", there is a short segment of Michael in China (you see the big "CHINA" or "HONG KONG" text on the screen) on board the bus smiling, wearing the hat, the gear, etc.

Regarding the dates, I'm not sure why but my only guess is because Japan created a bigger opportunity and fan interest at the time.

Was it Chris Currell who was the keyboardist dressed in the silver and had long hair? What happened to him after the Bad Tour? Anyone know?

:O Thanks so much for sharing your stories, everyone!

I'm only 18, so I love to hear everyone's stories from when they saw Michael in the 80s. I feel excited just reading your posts, and it makes me wish I was there to experience it myself. It all sounds incredible.

^^ me too. i'm only 15 so obviously, no chance of me going to any of the concerts :lol: but i think any concert of Mike's would be an experience nobody will ever forget. but i sure wish i was around to go to one of the Bad concerts. *sigh*

Was it Chris Currell who was the keyboardist dressed in the silver and had long hair? What happened to him after the Bad Tour? Anyone know?

Yep. He's still into music/synth stuff, just like he was on tour.

http://www.audiocybernetics.com -- his Web site I found

chrisrock.gif

ChrisZ2New.jpg

Of course!!!!!!!

Aside being my favorite MJ tour, It was the first time I saw him live.

I will NEVER forget that day as long as I live.
Me too! First time seeing MJ, wonderful concert and a stand-out point in my life, really. I was 16 then, btw.

Kind of funny to try to explain to most other people, but when asked the question, "What's the happiest thing you can remember from your life?" (like a great memory with emotion for the Patronus Charm ;) )... honestly, I have to say this concert was up there and for the longest time was THE top moment. Just for the sheer joy of it and for finally seeing Michael, being there with him. Two hours of pure joy :)

P.S. Back at the time I recorded some radio advertisements for my Denver concert on my old tape recorder. So glad I saved these. They still excite me, lol. ('Get ready! The rumors are true! The event of the century is coming...!') Recently I made videos for the first couple of them and uploaded them on youtube. I'm guessing these same radio ads were aired all over the US, just substituting the city & arena name, so if you were in America you might remember these with fondness :) In the vids you'll see my ticket stub, t-shirt, a few clipping from the local newspaper, pic of McNichols Arena (torn down in the late 90's), etc. Now if only someone out there had video footage of my beloved concert...
1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-m6pxCEu88
2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S83Y179gPZA
3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMJF2ygu_k

Last edited:
Back