The Magic, the Madness, the Whole Story

local libary has this book. i hid it under about 10 others as it was on display. went back in a week or 2 later. it was still hidden where i had left it lol. all part of the mj cause

Well, Michael tells his friend in the secret phoneconversation that is taped " read the taborelli book if you want to find out things about me". If Michael himsels says that.....

that was the original book. which was half decent even though there was still loads of fly on the wall moments the later edition just pagerised national enquirer stories. im surprised he was never sued as some parts were word for word of some of their articles

Is it that (is a new updated version of the book):

Michael%20Jackson_Taraborrelli.jpg

It was released last year.

No, he was talking about the next edition on his FB. So we should expect a new book from Taraborrelli sometime in the future.

this book was the pure trash. someone in Michael's camp said Michael told them he never know this guy. Take one picture with someone, then called himself his best friend, I think his quality and credibility were shown out.

Well there are actually more than 1 picture of this guy with mj on different occasions and other members of the family. Plus Michael recommened his book so thats a lie that he never knew the guy. I don't think RT claims he was his best friend.

He says very good things about Michael and seems to be on his side (he does not imply he was guilty of the accusations as some people here are saying) so I don't know why people want to call that trash but whatever.......

I do agree about the fly on the wall stuff though.. but the guy has sources, listed in the book.

It isn't a book that trashes Michael so I don't know why people hate it so much.

It was recommened to me by a massive fan of Michael's who has actually met him a couple times, and loves him very much, she didn't seem to think it was pure trash. Though she told me to take some parts of it with a big pinch of salt.

Anyway we all have our own opinionsremember.

Last edited:
well knowing someone interms of interpretation means different things i guess. do u class meeting someone a couple of time and giving them an interview as actually knowing someone on a personal level? mj knew thousands of ppl like that.

tabloidarelli has said many dubious things inregards to the allegations etc over the years. some of his articles for the daily mail in the uk show that. ppl hate him cause his made his life off mj. basically a talking media whore who claims to be some kind of mj expert

re the fly on the walls. i doubt he lists sources for that when it was a convo between say mj and frank. or the prositutes etc. the firsr edition wasnt bad but the later ones were full of tabloid garbage

No, he was talking about the next edition on his FB. So we should expect a new book from Taraborrelli sometime in the future.
there is nothing else to write. this fool needs to go find someone else to stalk. he just lost his cash cow

I'll guess I'll be in minority when I say that I like the book as well as the author.

I think a lot of people are misinformed regards to how they met and what their relations were like. Actually they have met when they are 11-13 years old. Taraborrelli was running a fan club for Diana Ross then (and now he has 3 books about her and the supremes) she invited him to a concert and introduced him to Michael. He also lives at Encino so they are childhood friends who hang out together. He knows the brothers and a lot Motown artists as well. Later he becomes a journalist and starts to interview Michael. By this way he also gets to know a lot of people that works with Michael. They maintain contact although in the later years it becomes less. He also openly states that the last time he saw Michael was the verdict day at 2005 and after that they only had a few phone calls. I believe he's quite honest about their relationship as he acknowledges their changing situation and does not portray himself to be the closest person to Michael. But he's not just a journalist who happened to met him a few times either.

I had him on my facebook and a lot people asked him if Michael read the book and if there was anything that Michael did not like. He said that he read the book and the things he didn't like was the stuff he wrote about the plastic surgery and him being skeptical about Michael's marriage to Lisa Marie. He says his opinion changed a lot over the years as he had a chance to interview Lisa and believes that the marriage was real. He says he had his own disagreements with Michael - he says he believed that Michael should never settled with the first accuser as it left the door open to future problems. As we can see here they had their disagreements as well, all of which are not secret either. Once again this makes me see him as a honest person.

The thing I liked about the book is how he listed his sources , I rarely see such information and in my eyes that makes the book more credible. Of course the book is not perfect or complete and of course the book includes the authors take on the events but that's what the authors supposed to do. Have you seen the Rabbi's book and how it is filled with pages and pages of his opinion? This is just normal. I think if you read the book with an open mind, focus on the facts and put side the authors opinions you get a good book about Michael.

well knowing someone interms of interpretation means different things i guess. do u class meeting someone a couple of time and giving them an interview as actually knowing someone on a personal level? mj knew thousands of ppl like that.

tabloidarelli has said many dubious things inregards to the allegations etc over the years. some of his articles for the daily mail in the uk show that. ppl hate him cause his made his life off mj. basically a talking media whore who claims to be some kind of mj expert

re the fly on the walls. i doubt he lists sources for that when it was a convo between say mj and frank. or the prositutes etc. the firsr edition wasnt bad but the later ones were full of tabloid garbage

Yeh he doesn't have sources for everything..guess he'd use his poetic license.

Well that which I put in bold didn't come across in the book. He gave some good information that people should know about 1993 and the background to the Arvizos and stuff regarding the trial (i haven't got the latest version so not the full trial stuff). He seemed to be on Michael's side, and I hear that he concludes in the latest version that he believes Michael was innocent of both accusations.

I think we should bother more about books that trash him like Diane Diamond books and the like.. like this one for example - http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85577

Ivy - In the book I have he has a chapter about MJ and Lisa Marie all about how their marriage was real, he says 'many people thought the marriage wasn't real but the truth is stranger than fiction...they were very much in love' or something like that. He said they knew each other well way before the allegations. He has comments from one of the commodors(i think) about them backstage at a show and another a donald trumps house where they were off camera and looking so in love, and he talks about them having a great sexual chemistry... he even goes into detail with comments from Lisa Marie's friends about their sex life. So I don't know which edition he was skeptical in but it wasn't in the edition I have.

Last edited:
Ivy - In the book I have he has a chapter about MJ and Lisa Marie all about how their marriage was real, he says 'many people thought the marriage wasn't real but the truth is stranger than fiction...they were very much in love' or something like that. He said they knew each other well way before the allegations. He has comments from one of the commodors(i think) about them backstage at a show and another a donald trumps house where they were off camera and looking so in love, and he talks about them having a great sexual chemistry... he even goes into detail with comments from Lisa Marie's friends about their sex life. So I don't know which edition he was skeptical in but it wasn't in the edition I have.

rockin - he says when it was first announced that they were married, people came to him to ask for his opinions/ comment. And at that time he gives a skeptical comment and jokes a little bit about their marriage. after that airs Michael calls him very angry and they talk etc. he apologizes to MJ. Then he has a chance to interview people including Michael and Lisa and changes his opinion.

I wrote that to give example that he was being honest about his relationship with Michael as he openly discusses their disagreements. It also shows that he's not perfect and can have wrong ideas and missing info in the beginning but changes them as he finds out the truth.

I think there are worse people writing about MJ than Taraborelli. His book is entertaining and often informative, but you don't have to take it 100% as the truth IMO. There are things about which he is just guessing - but who doesn't when it comes to MJ. He was so mysterious, difficult to figure out.
I think considering that he grabs his personality pretty well - at least better than some other authors out there.

BTW, last autumn, when Evan Chandler died JRT wrote something about him on his Facebook. He said EC approached him back in the time of the allegations and tried to convince him to stand on his side. Apparently it was important for him to have the media on his side. But JRT thought he was a pretty shady character and had a bad vibe about him. He also looked aggressive. It's all nice that he says it now, but why didn't he put it in his book then?

I thought the parts I've read about the Chandler case in his book were not positive for Michael. JRT never said he molested Jordie, but he made some comments which could make him at least suspicious. Like when he wrote one day Michael, Jordie and Jordie's family were watching TV and Michael couldn't take his eyes off from Jordie. Those kind of suggestive things that I didn't like. Of course, the first question on my mind regarding this scene is (like with many other scenes in his book, actually): how on Earth JRT would know this? The only people there were Michael, Jordie and his family. So either Michael has told him (most probably not) or somebody from Jordie's family (perhaps Evan?). And that alone would make the validity of this info questionable.

But maybe he changed his mind about Michael's relationship to kids once the 2005 trial opened his eyes. Because about that case he clearly stated he didn't believe Michael was guilty.

respect77 - I think perhaps he was conflicted about the 1993 events. yes he never said Michael was guilty but as I posted before he said that he questioned the settlement.

The watching TV example that you give in my opinion is just an embellishment that the authors do for the flow and readability of the book. If they went with just info (such as they met at this date, he visited him this date etc etc) it would be very boring read. I personally put aside those embellishments and his opinions and try to see the bigger picture.

respect77 - I think perhaps he was conflicted about the 1993 events. yes he never said Michael was guilty but as I posted before he said that he questioned the settlement.

The watching TV example that you give in my opinion is just an embellishment that the authors do for the flow and readability of the book. If they went with just info (such as they met at this date, he visited him this date etc etc) it would be very boring read. I personally put aside those embellishments and his opinions and try to see the bigger picture.

I understand JRT wants to make his book more flowing with those "fly on the wall" stories. I'm not sure I like it though because it looks like fiction (and in most parts it probably is, since he couldn't become a fly on the wall). For a biography it's more important to be accurate than to be spiced up with conversations those are fictional.

Having said that, with this particular story my problem was what he was trying to suggest with it. He never said that he thought Michael was guilty. But he made these strange suggestions those would make him look suspicious. I mean what else would have been the point of this story, other than JRT telling us MJ "couldn't take his eyes off from Jordie"? What was he trying to say with that? That Michael was "in love" with Jordie? And all this suggestion is not made based on a fact but on second hand information he heard from somebody (since he wasn't there), possibly somebody from Jordie's family. So to tell it as it was a fact is a very dangerous and unfair thing to do.

Well lets see, Its full of innuendo, not acurate, he was not there, he exagerates, he's always making suggestions, its biased and its boring, i was hoping something else, almost nothing its said about the years after 1997, its just not accurate, its fiction and taraborelli seems stupid on many comments, like really stupid. taraborelli shuld be one of those authors of cheap novels...boring and i just dont like the innnuendo,to the point that no matter what he is writting he would always find a way to put Jodiiiieeeeee on every part of that book.... like a reminder, I mean.... do i need to say anything else...

I wanted to read about Michael instead i was reading about other things, it was boring, tired of innuendo, he wrote this last edition way too soon without information, well TO CASH IN..., and when he talks about his personal feelings im like WHO FCKING CARES ABOUT YOU???? i mean, its stupid

Well, Michael tells his friend in the secret phoneconversation that is taped " read the taborelli book if you want to find out things about me". If Michael himsels says that.....
Those tapes are form 1991, Michael was referring to the FIRST edition, everybody agrees that the 1st edition is the BEST, Michael was talking about that edition the first one.

Well as much as I doubt JRT's many claims, I honestly think he cared about MJ. The last few chapters actually made me cry and he was very positive about how the whole propofol thing wasnt his fault. He seemed to understand what he was going through..which is something we've alll tried too.
I dont know, but I cant hate JRT. Trust me, he loved MJ.

the best Book on MJ IMO. JRT was one of the few folks who stayed with MJ through the Great,good, bad and ugly.

I understand JRT wants to make his book more flowing with those "fly on the wall" stories. I'm not sure I like it though because it looks like fiction (and in most parts it probably is, since he couldn't become a fly on the wall). For a biography it's more important to be accurate than to be spiced up with conversations those are fictional.

Having said that, with this particular story my problem was what he was trying to suggest with it. He never said that he thought Michael was guilty. But he made these strange suggestions those would make him look suspicious. I mean what else would have been the point of this story, other than JRT telling us MJ "couldn't take his eyes off from Jordie"? What was he trying to say with that? That Michael was "in love" with Jordie? And all this suggestion is not made based on a fact but on second hand information he heard from somebody (since he wasn't there), possibly somebody from Jordie's family. So to tell it as it was a fact is a very dangerous and unfair thing to do.

I agree with you 100%. Either he should stick to a fictional novel or write a factual book. Give evidence why MJ was not guilty/guilty, for example, and let the reader reach his/her conclusion. What he did was give his opinion which is erroneous. Then, as others point out he gives nasty comments about Michael on TV relating to his smell during the trial. What a friend. I hope people do not buy the new book, especially since MJ is not here to talk about its contents.

Well as much as I doubt JRT's many claims, I honestly think he cared about MJ. The last few chapters actually made me cry and he was very positive about how the whole propofol thing wasnt his fault. He seemed to understand what he was going through..which is something we've alll tried too.
I dont know, but I cant hate JRT. Trust me, he loved MJ.

Of course JRT is ten thounsand times more credible and accurate and everything then people like that insane Ian Halperin, Halperin is such a low liar crazy delusional "man", i dont think anybody takes him seriously, only those who want to believe the lies he says as if they were true (i dont know if you know what i mean...)

But i hope that if JRT does a new edition, i mean the whole innuendo has to stop, really is just too much, too much, i wont recomend this edition, everydy who knows me and ask me for a good biography on MJ and i just wont name not even one... not one, if JRT would make things clearer then i will, but this edition i wont, i just say to people that i dont know of any good biography, cause i dont...

J. Randy if you ever read this, make up your mind man, for real, your innuendo shows what YOU think... and you know it... i dont know what you have found lately... i think you should research more... and dont go blind, Michael was not saint, but he wasnt what you are always trying to say in a disguised way...

I'm sorry to bring this back up but just finished reading it after getting from the library (refused to buy it).

I have to say most peoples comments are very accurate with this and it is such a shame because the first part of the book is actually a real structured page turner yet the second half is made up almost entirely from some deposition statements and tabloid rumours and not much else.

For the Jacksons part of it the Author basically slags off Joe and then for the rest of the book he makes Michael out to have become his father in most ways if not worse.

Whilst it is right to mention EVERYTHING in a book like this objectively I feel it wasn't quite done this way, for instance JT seems to diss Bashir for passing judgement in his documentary yet for most of the last 3rd of the book he is completely judgemental himself as if we care.

It was incredible how JT had such good access and information to the Jacksons yet for MJs later years he didn't manage to interview anyone of note whatsoever who was closely connected to MJ except for perhaps John Branca who was for some reason idolised by the author. Where was Quincy and Bruce or Elizabeth Taylor or Macauley or the siblings, surely someone would have spoke to him properly, even the Dr Klein would have spoke all kinds of shit if he'd have bothered asking. I think TMZ could have assembled all their recent articles and put together a more comprehensive ending to the book than was done.

I was also amazed at the amateurish way that the previous versions of the book were not amended and they all referred to the present tense, I've never seen that before in a book and I'm suprised the publishers would let that go out but I guess money talks and MJs death was just a cash grab for this edition.

Seriously its a shame no-one has managed to write the definitive book that deals in a more factual way although I realise its difficult (theres so much to cover!), maybe one day someone will take up the task who is truly talented and fully objective and which will last in history.

My rating is 4/10

The original 1991 version "The Magic and the Madness" was a good read. But the "updated" versions after that are just trash.

JRT had long been out of MJ's circle of friends. Because of that, his later additions had to rely on articles posted by others on MJ which obviously is going to be biased and at times, downright untrue. Instead stopping his editions since he was no longer in the know and remaining respectable, JRT stoops to a low level by quoting garbage. And refuses to give up on the notion that he is no longer an insider just so he can keep his claim as an expert. That makes whatever he says suspect.

JRT is indicative of so many Jackson insiders. He is a person who had not been around MJ, was not a confidante, and had probaly not spoken to him in years; and yet, he is the authority. Give me a break.

The Magic and the Madness filled with untrue information?

I first read The Magic and the Madness when the first edition came out in 1991. While I found some interesting information there, I always have the feeling that there were certain events that were described with half truths, assumptions by the author, or just completely ground less.

I do think that out of all the "autobiographies" out there this one is the most detailed one, and is mostly pro-Michael.

I was hoping to take different events that were described in the book with untruth information and find the evidence that prove otherwise.

For Example: The recording of We Are The World

Quote: "As Integral as Michael Jackson had become to the process, he was also very much separated from it. Whereas everyone else present was filmed as they performed for the "We Are The World" video, Michael's solo was taped later, privately, and spliced into the final version. He never took off his shades. Some people speculate that he chose not to record with the rest because he was so awestruck by his fellow celebrities. The ultimate perfectionist, he would feel that he could not perform to the best of his abilities in front of them. Others offer a more cynical explanation: Michael likes to feel he is different from everybody and emphasizes this difference by erecting barriers between him and his fans, his peers and his family...." Page 343.

Beside that fact that he did have his shades the entire time, non of what was written about the recording is true. Below is the proof:

Video showing the making of We Are The World and Michael Solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEOOgv5unE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSklOeu14sQ&feature=related

Michael recording the demo used to give the other artists a reference for the song and that was used throughout the actual recording
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-XzhBuVC_E&feature=related

Below are to interviews with Steve Perry and Huey Lewis who participated in the recording and were standing right next to him.

http://www.melodic.net/newsOne.asp?newsId=13693

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/06/28/huey-lewis-michael-jackson-we-are-the-world/

I was hoping to do the same with other information on the book and compile them all in one file. Anyone else who read the book and have proof for wrong information?

It annoys me that Taraborrelli, instead of rereading what he wrote in the past, just add a few more chapters as the years pass by. He doesn't even remember half the stuff he wrote there (I asked him personally).

I know that fans are divided about this book, but I still feel it is a good resource for anyone wanting to learn more about Michael and probably the better choice of all the book out there (beside Moonwalk of course).

Any assistance will be great.

Thanks
Liat

Re: The Magic and the Madness filled with untrue information?

TARABORRELLI tries to wear two hats. One for MJ fans, the other to keep his membership with the anti-MJ crowd, like DIANE DIMOND, MAUREEN ORTH etc. TARABORRELLI got a big nod and wink from MJ just like PRINCESS DIANA with ANDREW MORTON. I agree, it is the best of the MJ books. Most of it is fairly accurate. The updated versions are crazy and strains credibility.

I thought it was pretty accurate...I believe there was some stuff he definitely slacked on and just added some judgement and false conclusions...He mentioned at one point that Michael couldn't play the piano, and there was another part of the book where he said something along the lines of 'michael, playing the piano....' whatever...just get your story straight......also, he mentions MORE than once that Blanket is extremely blonde...i'm like....'huh??" so...to me, the first half of the book seems fairly accurate, and the second half (pretty much after the 93 allegations) seems mostly innuendo and partly made up.....

Ahhh this book confused me, lol!
I skipped all the trial stuff :/
But I do think this is a good idea proving the truth :D

I thought it was pretty accurate...I believe there was some stuff he definitely slacked on and just added some judgement and false conclusions...He mentioned at one point that Michael couldn't play the piano, and there was another part of the book where he said something along the lines of 'michael, playing the piano....' whatever...just get your story straight......also, he mentions MORE than once that Blanket is extremely blonde...i'm like....'huh??" so...to me, the first half of the book seems fairly accurate, and the second half (pretty much after the 93 allegations) seems mostly innuendo and partly made up.....

I read the latest edition of the book earlier this year, and I agree with everything you said.

Just to let you know:

1.) There is only one Michael Jackson "Autobiography" and it's called Moonwalk.
2.) The ones not actually written by Michael are called "Biography's"!!!!!

Just to let you know:

1.) There is only one Michael Jackson "Autobiography" and it's called Moonwalk.
2.) The ones not actually written by Michael are called "Biography's"!!!!!

*Biographies.

Back