The Magic, the Madness, the Whole Story

Re: The Magic and the Madness filled with untrue information?

Taraborrelli ovbiously hasnt watched the DVD of WATW ;)

Did anyone read the first version in 1991 because there are huge differences?

I was a little conflicted about JRT. He seems like a nice person and on the surface his books appear harmless and "pro-MJ". However, I have come to view his books as fan-fiction spiced-up with some factual information. He tries to wear two hats and he never fully succeeds in either capacity. I can't state this as a fact; however, I don't believe that JRT allowed himself to be called " Michael's childhood friend and confidante" until after Michael died. Prior to that, he was called Michael's biographer. Taraborelli's books never reveal any insider information, he only embellishes information already printed in the media. For example, book 1 mentions MJ using skin bleaching cream and leads the reader to conclude that Michael had identity issues, vitiligo is never mentioned. Also, for a biography about a musician, JRT barely scratches the surface of MJ's music career and he simply abandon's talking about it in depth post Bad. Furthermore, if he were a friend, he would be able to state unequivocably that MJ was NOT a pedophile. I'm sure some of Michael's friends and perhaps some of his family questioned the 1993 settlement; however, they wouldn't question MJ's innocence.Taraborelli's writings about Jordan Chandler and Michael's relationship are disturbing and lead readers to conclude the worst about Michael. Taraborelli avoids discussing Michael's death which leads me to believe that there will be yet another revised version of this book.

JRT's books have enough positive perspectives that make fans disregard some obvious "poetic license" and enough negative innuendo to make non-fans believe JRT is unbiased. I say, don't disregard the negative stuff because it is truly disturbing and speaks ill of Michael's character. Though never stating outright, JRT leads readers to question Michael's innocence, sexuality, skin bleaching, morality, mental stability and loyalty to family and friends. These are difficult subjects to ignore because they speak to Michael's character and you never get to truly know who Michael was as a person.

I have the original version and the new one as well. The book is great but is also very much made up in parts. I know Randy said he met Michael in the 1970s and maybe that was the last time he spoke to him.

Did anyone read the first version in 1991 because there are huge differences?

I have the first one. Haven't read the updated versions. I thought he just added chapters, and not changed the original text? Right?

I read it and thought it was okay, some errors but otherwise it neither supported him nor criticised him really, it was somewhere in between but it was okay. I learnt a few new things from it that I never knew before, such as him being able to play musical instruments.

I don't like JRT. He's too smug for me. I have his book which I found at a flea market for 50 cents, and everytime I am about to read it I find something inaccurate. He didn't even bother to mention Diana Ross's affair with Berry Gordy in his book. He is obsessed with her, so I figure he just wanted to leave that out and make her look good, as if dating Barry was a bad thing. I think they even had a kid together. He refuses to acknowledge the special love and bond Diana had with Michael....

He was working on a Lisa Marie book but shelved because he didn't want to "hurt his dear friend". I doubt Lisa is his friend seeing how she can't stand tabloid trash and JRT is tabloid trash.

I think the best book to read is Moonwalk and that's it. I hope there will be a really WELL written biography on Michael that states facts not sensationlism. It doesn't matter that a book is 900 pages, but if it's all mixed with tabloid crap what's the point?

There's a really well written biography books by David Bowie and Neil Young so hopfully those same writers will do justice for Michael. Not JRT.

I don't like JRT, either. In the book he claims he was Michael's friend since childhood. His views are very biased about Michael. The 900 page book was written as a cash-in, and isn't worth purchasing. I recomend Moonwalk. It's a great read!

Last edited:
JRT's books are FICTION. If you look in the backs of the books, the references are tabloids, ok? He did not ever speak to Michael after the seventies (and that was ONE interview?), and the rest is entirely invention. He has made an entire career from fabricating conversations with Michael, IMHO, and does not actually have a life.

Read Moonwalk, and Dancing the Dream, and all the song-lyrics, to hear Michael's own words. OK? JRT does not deserve one second of our attention. . . . . Not ONE.

I don't like this guy I said it many times before on other threads about this guy that keep popping up as if he has the greatest book in the world or something! He has one lousy pic of him and MJ from the 70's to prove a lifetime long "friendship?" o_O Like come on! lol

He talk to people around MJ for some of the info he got on his book whether the info was correct or not he didn't care! Also some how he got hold of the "Gleda tapes" yrs before we got to hear them. Those audio tapes are now on youtube of MJ talking about his life and that info is in the book! So that's why he thinks he is an insider or expert on MJ...wow! o_O LOL He just got lucky!

He is annoying and a Bull Sh*tter! No "friend" of MJ would reject a request from MJ himself to get the facts straight from him before he publish the book! No "friend" would praise Diane Dimond on her negative reporting of MJ during the 05 trial on TV! Also no "friend" would praise the Prosecution team on TV as well on how good their doing while your "friend" life is on the line! PERIOD!

If I knew this before I would have never bought the book yrs ago and wasted my time! Luckily, I bought it on eBay for $6 bucks LMAO! That should have been a sign that the book wasn't all that! Oh well! I could have gotten something better though!

Last edited:
I heard he made some additions about MJ and LMP to the latest edition that's been published in paperback. Did anyone read?

He tries to wear two hats and he never fully succeeds in either capacity.

That sums him up. He is trying to fit in with the tabloid media, as well as trying to be liked by the fan community. It's hard to do both at the same time and it shows in his books.

One interesting thing is that when Evan Chandler died JRT came out with a comment on his Facebook telling that he had several meetings with Evan Chandler in the 90s and how scary and threatening guy he was and how crazy he seemed. OK, that's nice that you are finally telling this, Randy, but why not earlier? Why not in your books? Why did you try to make Michael suspicious in your books when you KNEW all this about Evan Chandler? I guess it wasn't particularly "in" in media circles at the time to be pro-Michael, that's why.....

Did Michael Jackson himself not recommend the first edition of this book himself?

Michael never recommended the first edition of The Magic & The Madness. Michael's never recommended any biography written about him.

Michael just gave J.Randy Tarroborelli access to meet him in the mid 1990's because he appreciated J.Randy Tarroborelli speaking up for him in the media against Diane Diamond on USA magazine/tabloid shows, against the Jordan Chandler abuse lies.

I thought the 1st and 2nd edition of The Magic & The Madness were good (though the 2nd edition was far fetched in places, with so called word for word private conversations Michael is supposed to have had ?), but in a number of places hard to believe. The 3rd edition I didn't buy, because Tarroborelli seemed to have sided with the tabloids against Michael, in my opinion so he could make more money spinning lies/negative stories so he could make more money from the serialisation of his book in the tabloids. Also the so called private conversations Michael is supposed to have had, with people that Tarroborelli quotes word for word, makes it obvious Tarroborelli lost his plot as a biographer, and The Magic & The Madness comes across as nothing more than a fantasy novel not based on reality.

The new updated 4th edition seems slightly better than the 3rd. I read some parts in a book shop last week. But I decided not to buy it, because even though it does come across in the book that J.Randy Tarroborelli does believe the Arvizio family abuse claims are lies. I don't like the fact he doesn't think Michael's lawyers and were convincing when defending Michael's sleep overs with friends like Brett Barnes etc.

He also seems to think that if Debbie Rowe hadn't defended Michael in court and said what a wonderful father he was, that Michael would have been convicted. And his view is that Michael's lawyers only won in the case by pointing out the inconsistancies in the Arvizio's statements against Michael's. Which in my opinion he saying Michael's sleep over with boy's was questionable. I personally never approved of Michael having sleeping overs, but at the same time I'm 100% sure Michael had no sexual interest in children or minors of any age. If I even had a doubt of Michael's innocence, I wouldn't listen to his music at all or have his pictures or videos in my house. Michael's lawyers proved Michael's sleep overs were purely innocent, and at worst just childish, and that the abuse claims by the Arvizo's were false and motivated by money and keep the live style they had become accustomed to mainly through the manipulation of Michael, and other stars that had extorted or tried to extort money from.

Debbie Rowe's testimony did help Michael's case a lot, but she wasn't the only wintess of the prosecution to turn the tables on them and defend Michael's. An airline attendant who was a prosecution witness, who is supposed to have witnessed Michael give Gavin so called wine "Jesus Juice" in a Cola Can. She ended up defending Michael, saying she never saw Michael give Gavin any wine, and also that it was her idea to give Michael wine in a Cola can etc. Other prosecution witness's were also exposed as liers like Martin Bashir who never said a single word, when cress examined by Tom Merseru. Bob Jones who claimed in his book that Michael licked Gavin's face whilst he was asleep on a flight, admitted that was a lie. Other prosecution witnesses were highly inconsistent and always exposed by Tom Merseru.

The fact is every day was a victory for Michael during his trial. Tom Sneddon never had a case against Michael, and Tom Merseru proved that in court. The fact is Tom Merseru won the trial for Michael, because he proved Michael was innocent and not a child abuser. It's the media who are the ones to keep adding question marks to Michael's name, because they don't report that Tom Sneddon never had a case against Michael. It's a shame J.Randy Tarroborelli has joined the rest of the media, because he knows if he actually writes the 100% truth Michael was framed in 1993 and 2003, that he won't make much money from his serialisation of his books in the tabloids.

Well I hate to admit his book is good, but I never trust some of the stuff he wrote in there and I had a little trust in him. I wanted to get into his book because I still wanna know about the whole business in 93' and i think I have like everybody else here.

which says more about all the other books written about mj than it does about tabloidarelli lol. bar lisa campbell etc

Michael never recommended the first edition of The Magic & The Madness. Michael's never recommended any biography written about him.

Michael just gave J.Randy Tarroborelli access to meet him in the mid 1990's because he appreciated J.Randy Tarroborelli speaking up for him in the media against Diane Diamond on USA magazine/tabloid shows, against the Jordan Chandler abuse lies.

I thought the 1st and 2nd edition of The Magic & The Madness were good (though the 2nd edition was far fetched in places, with so called word for word private conversations Michael is supposed to have had ?), but in a number of places hard to believe. The 3rd edition I didn't buy, because Tarroborelli seemed to have sided with the tabloids against Michael, in my opinion so he could make more money spinning lies/negative stories so he could make more money from the serialisation of his book in the tabloids. Also the so called private conversations Michael is supposed to have had, with people that Tarroborelli quotes word for word, makes it obvious Tarroborelli lost his plot as a biographer, and The Magic & The Madness comes across as nothing more than a fantasy novel not based on reality.

The new updated 4th edition seems slightly better than the 3rd. I read some parts in a book shop last week. But I decided not to buy it, because even though it does come across in the book that J.Randy Tarroborelli does believe the Arvizio family abuse claims are lies. I don't like the fact he doesn't think Michael's lawyers and were convincing when defending Michael's sleep overs with friends like Brett Barnes etc.

He also seems to think that if Debbie Rowe hadn't defended Michael in court and said what a wonderful father he was, that Michael would have been convicted. And his view is that Michael's lawyers only won in the case by pointing out the inconsistancies in the Arvizio's statements against Michael's. Which in my opinion he saying Michael's sleep over with boy's was questionable. I personally never approved of Michael having sleeping overs, but at the same time I'm 100% sure Michael had no sexual interest in children or minors of any age. If I even had a doubt of Michael's innocence, I wouldn't listen to his music at all or have his pictures or videos in my house. Michael's lawyers proved Michael's sleep overs were purely innocent, and at worst just childish, and that the abuse claims by the Arvizo's were false and motivated by money and keep the live style they had become accustomed to mainly through the manipulation of Michael, and other stars that had extorted or tried to extort money from.

Debbie Rowe's testimony did help Michael's case a lot, but she wasn't the only wintess of the prosecution to turn the tables on them and defend Michael's. An airline attendant who was a prosecution witness, who is supposed to have witnessed Michael give Gavin so called wine "Jesus Juice" in a Cola Can. She ended up defending Michael, saying she never saw Michael give Gavin any wine, and also that it was her idea to give Michael wine in a Cola can etc. Other prosecution witness's were also exposed as liers like Martin Bashir who never said a single word, when cress examined by Tom Merseru. Bob Jones who claimed in his book that Michael licked Gavin's face whilst he was asleep on a flight, admitted that was a lie. Other prosecution witnesses were highly inconsistent and always exposed by Tom Merseru.

The fact is every day was a victory for Michael during his trial. Tom Sneddon never had a case against Michael, and Tom Merseru proved that in court. The fact is Tom Merseru won the trial for Michael, because he proved Michael was innocent and not a child abuser. It's the media who are the ones to keep adding question marks to Michael's name, because they don't report that Tom Sneddon never had a case against Michael. It's a shame J.Randy Tarroborelli has joined the rest of the media, because he knows if he actually writes the 100% truth Michael was framed in 1993 and 2003, that he won't make much money from his serialisation of his books in the tabloids.

well said :clapping:

well said :clapping:

Thanks ;D

Its a bit sensationalist but is the most correct and informative book out there.

The Magic & The Madness is the best and only good biography on Michael's life. But I would only say that for the 1st edition of the book, for reasons stated in my post. My advice to fans is to go to amazon or ebay and buy the the 1st edition of the book that was released in 1991. The 2nd edition is ok, but don't bother buying the 3rd and most recent 4th edition as they are pure tabloid filth.

Tabborelli's books contain nothing about the false 1993 and 2003 allegations that wasn't already in the public domain at the time the 2nd and 3rd editions of the book were released. The 4th edition, also doesn't contain any information about the 2003 investigation or the trial that fans haven't already known for years.

The only things fans need to know about both of the allegations made against Michael, is that Michael was innocent, and that framed because both sets of parents wanted money from Michael to live a lavish lifestyle.

The 1993 false allegation and Michael's out of court settlement with the Chandler's are never stated clearly enough. Michael never "paid off" Jordan Chandler. The father Evan Chandler, contacted "civil lawyer" Larry Feldman, before going to the police (which I find odd and very questionable). Evan Chandler, launched a civil lawsuit (non for non criminal court) only 2 weeks or so in the to police investigation. Therefore Evan Chandler NOT Michael Jackson instigated "money" these (false) child abuse claims. Michael co-operated with the police, and allowed his body to be photographed. Michael agreed to settle to civil lawsuit, because he was advised it would be best to concentrait on the more serious criminal invesitigation which could result in a trial.

The police and criminal investigation had nothing to do with the civil lawsuit settlement Michael made. No one knows who approched who to make the out of court settlement, or why and out of court settlement was made. That is part of the agreement that neither Michael or the Chandler's by law are aloud to talk about, otherwise one party would be allowed to sue the other. No matter how hard Michael was pressed to talk about his out of court civil settlement in 1993, he was by law not allowed to. But part of the settlement terms that both parties agreed on is that Michael was allowed to say that he was innocent of the child sex abuse claims made by the Chandler's. Which in my opinion also proves Michael's innocence, as no parent would let a famous person who's on televison etc every where say they are innocent if the abused their child.

It is a known fact that as soon as the Chandler's got the money from Michael's insurance, they decided not to co-operate with the criminal police investigation. No one knows if this was part of the out of court civil lawsuit settlement or not. But the police could have forced Jordan Chandler to testify against Michael if they had evidence against Michael. The police investigation still went ahead after the out of court civil lawsuit settlement. The police held a grand jury hearing in late 1994 to see if the evidence they had, could bring charges against Michael for a criminal trial. Michael's mother Katherine and his close friend Miko Brando had to testify, and the jury decided no charges would be brought against Michael.

The media always talk about Michael's settlement like it was part of the police case, when it wasn't and like Michael could stop a police investigation by paying money to the Chandler's. Michael never had that kind of influence and power, if he did he would have had friends on the police force like Tom Sneddon and Gil Gacetti. Michael was being invesitgated by "2" different police departments, the LAPD (Gil Gacetti) and SBPD (Tom Sneddon), and they found "NOTHING" to show Michael was a child abuser. A fact the media also ingnore. The fact is even after the out of court civil lawsuit settlement, Michael still faced the prospect of a criminal trial. And it was the police investigation that caused Michael pain and the prospect of a criminal trial, not the civil lawsuit. Because the civil lawsuit is about money and nothing else, and the likes the J.Randy Tarraborelli who see's himself as Michael's official biographer should point out to the media, that they wrongly twist the fact about the out of court settlement to Michael look guilty and above the law. If that was the case, Michael would have also been under FBI survallence from 1994-2005 where even the FBI found "ZERO" evidence of Michael being a child abuser or having a sexual interest in children.

I've written more than I planned to, but for the 2005 trial. This has a strong connection to the false 1993 allegations. The mother wanted money from Michael, she shops around L.A looking for a lawyer (instead of going to the police like any sane parent would) whilst claiming Michael abused her son Gavin. They all turn her down, then all of a sudden Larry Feldman appears (Jordan Chandler's 1993 civil lawsuit lawyer), and Tom Sneddon appears and Michael's being charged in a grand jury were he's not allowed on defense, because the grand jury that took place on 2003 was very bias in favor of Tom Sneddon. One news anchor said Tom Sneddon could bring charges of child abuse against a ham sandwich it was so bias in his favor.

I'm not really of these fans in to all these consprices (though it could be a possibility) about Michael's death, I feel it was Dr Conrad Murray's creed for money, laziness/negligence and incompetence that caused Michael to die. But I truly believe people plotted against Michael in 2003, because I don't get where Janet Arvizio would get the money to pay for Larry Feldmen to be her civil lawyer etc. Plus there were rumors from 2001-02 in the media about Sony having evidence against Michael from 1993, and that the case was to be re-opened. Michael also looked very ill and scared in 2001-02, and I'm sure he know something bad was going to happen to him. I don't know if Tommy Mottla had anything to do with what I think was a conspricy against Michael with these false charges, but I'm pretty sure he leaked a lot of false and old stories in to the media in 2001-02 when he was still the CEO of Sony Music. Because from 1994-2000 that whole 1993 crap and Michael being wrongly lableled a child abuse was no longer in the media, then all of a sudden in 2001 the stories from 1993 and inuenddo start to appear again for no reason. I bet J.Randy Tarraborelli's doesn't ever address the abuse Michael got from the media, or does research about why such old stories about Michael appeared in the media when Michael was about to release Invincible. Matolla sabotaged his ex-wife Mariah Carey's album release when she divorced him, and he did the same to Michael but even worse.

Last edited:
One interesting thing is that when Evan Chandler died JRT came out with a comment on his Facebook telling that he had several meetings with Evan Chandler in the 90s and how scary and threatening guy he was and how crazy he seemed. OK, that's nice that you are finally telling this, Randy, but why not earlier? Why not in your books? Why did you try to make Michael suspicious in your books when you KNEW all this about Evan Chandler? I guess it wasn't particularly "in" in media circles at the time to be pro-Michael, that's why.....

Thats what ticks me off bout randy, in the begining he seemed cool but then he became excatly like all those :censored: media airheads.

If you want to discover the "authenticity" of JRT's "biographies" of Michael, look in the backs of any of his books, at his sources. The "sources" are almost entirely tabloids, with the National Enquirer being primary.

For authentic biographies/material about Michael, read his own autobiography, Moonwalk, and Dancing the Dream, his book of poetry and essays. Also, study the song-lyrics, to really know about Michael.

JRT presents himself somehow as "Michael's friend," and on the talk-shows, he wants us to think he's some sort of expert. That is simply not the truth. His books are about 90% tabloid material. Just look in the backs of the books . . . at his references. . . . . IHMO, anyone with a stack of tabloids and no soul, could have written the same material. . .

peace. .. . .

Debbie is my heart that was well said fam yes that book is 100% that book just straight drag MJ just like the rest of them garbage books out there

For authentic biographies/material about Michael, read his own autobiography, Moonwalk, and Dancing the Dream, his book of poetry and essays. Also, study the song-lyrics, to really know about Michael.
:agree:

Exactly!!!!!

Ok, not sure if there's a thread somewhere on this forum already, and please direct me to it if there is...lol

I have just read this recently after being a Michael fan for almost my whole life. I actually really liked it and I thought it was fairly accurate...There were a few things here and there that I didn't find believable...At times, Taraborelli made Michael seem EXTREMELY strange...I mean, Michael is different, but Taraborelli made him seem like right whacked out at times, and I found it hard to believe. There were also A LOT of errors in the book...For instance, Taraborelli states in one part of the book that Michael can't play piano, and in another part, that Michael CAN play...Also, he mentioned TWICE, that Blanket is VERY BLONDE....I'm like, WHAT??...Lots of grammatical errors, and I also found that the second part of the bookk, after the first allegations, a lot of information seemed muddied, seemed to be a lot of bullsh!t...

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. What do you guys think??

Did it say if he had vitiligo?

The only book on Michael ever to receive Michael's seal of approval was the 1st edition of Adrian Grant's excellent "Michael Jackson: The Visual Documentary". But even that book wasn't recommended in public by Michael.

The fact Michael continued to let Adrian Grant have access to him. And the fact Michael attended a fan event on London in 2001 (which I attended) organised by Adrian Grant shows Michael liked the books he had written about Michael. Reason being he stuck to writing about Michael as a musician and entertainer. There is no way Michael would ever recommend a book that was 99.9% focused on someone else's view of his personal life. Michael wanted people to focus on his music, if not that then on him as a businessman or his charity work. Michael was an artist, and it's a shame not enough books from the 1990's to 2009 focused on that when he was alive.

The only book on Michael ever to receive Michael's seal of approval was the 1st edition of Adrian Grant's excellent "Michael Jackson: The Visual Documentary". But even that book wasn't recommended in public by Michael.

The fact Michael continued to let Adrian Grant have access to him. And the fact Michael attended a fan event on London in 2001 (which I attended) organised by Adrian Grant shows Michael liked the books he had written about Michael. Reason being he stuck to writing about Michael as a musician and entertainer.
:yes:

We could not forget Adrian Grant has always been a true fan. I remember the magazine Off the wall that it produced. His books are wonderful. :wild: :punk:

Did it say if he had vitiligo?

yeah, he did mention it...but of course, HAD to mention that it's unknown whether Michael had developed it because of the years of using 'bleaching creams' :rolleyes:....I haven't researched to see if that could actually be possible...of course, JRT didn't back up that claim...as far as I know....so he was basically saying it could have ultimately been Michael's fault that he developed vitiligo...

whatever....tabloid trash part of the book, for sure..

yeah, he did mention it...but of course, HAD to mention that it's unknown whether Michael had developed it because of the years of using 'bleaching creams' :rolleyes:....I haven't researched to see if that could actually be possible...of course, JRT didn't back up that claim...as far as I know....so he was basically saying it could have ultimately been Michael's fault that he developed vitiligo...

whatever....tabloid trash part of the book, for sure..

I don't know much about skin bleaching creams. But from what I know if a person with black/brown skin uses bleaching creams on there skin on a regular basis, it makes there skin much darker and blotchy when they stop using them ?

From what I've seen on streets, people who I presume are using skin bleaching creams often have a very unhealthy glow about them. Michael never appeared to have that unhealthy glow. In fact when I first saw Michael in person at the Mayfair Hotel in 1988 during the Bad Tour. Michael was still the same ebony colour as on the Thriller album. He looked like he didn't wear any make up off stage when I saw him, and his skin looked very healthy. Michael looked much lighter on stage, and obviously so because he wore makeup on stage and for public appearences.

When I saw Michael off stage in 1992 he did appear to wear makeup both and off stage which he didn't when I saw him in the 1980's.

I don't believe Michael ever bleached his skin, and don't believe he caused his vitiligo. I think Michael would be the type of person who would be scared to use skin bleaching creams, because as the cream burns the skin to make it lighter. I would presume it would more likely cause skin cancer, and not vitiligo. And it is a fact Michael didn't have skin cancer.

Back