I really wasn't expecting that much. He sang songs he'd NEVER sang live before:

WBSS - 100% live, no doubt
Speechless - 100% live, no doubt
Jam - 98% mimed, 2% live
TDCAU - mimed
Human Nature - 100% live, no doubt
Smooth Criminal - mimed verses, live bridge and chorus
TWYMMF - live intro, mimed verse and chorus, live ad-libs
IJCSLY - 100% live (probably my favourite)
J5 medley - 100% live (incredible vocals at the end of I'll Be There)
Black or White - 100% live (and sounds awesome)
Beat It - 100% live (his voice sounds so strong on this)
Billie Jean - lip-synched demo, live ad-libs
Earth Song - mostly lip-synched, occasional live lines
MITM - mostly lip-synched, occasional live lines

I can totally see why everyone was raving about the ending of IJCSLY - that was old skool black soul right there. Did anyone else notice how he picked the words apart for some lines? That was so cool.

Even most of Smooth Criminal was live apart from the first verse...

Arty will be delighted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Shocked by the amount of live singing.

yeah it was great to see. Im pretty sure earthsong wasnt live though. Was beat it all live?

Earth Song was absolutely live. For starters he left out the occasional line so as not stretch his voice too far. He wouldn't be doing that if it was playback.

Earth song was the demo track, that's why it sounded different

I do know that version. It still sounded different to me. Why would he stop singing in parts if it was playback?

Earth Song was live!! except for the last part where he was on the cherry picker!!

I do know that version. It still sounded different to me. Why would he stop singing in parts if it was playback?

That's what I was thinking. It really sounded to me like Earth Song was live, but he was doing the demo version. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought. I guess we'll eventually find out though. I'll see it again Saturday and study it more. At the first showing, I was just in too much amazement to be analytical. :)

Also....like the rest of us....I'm still waiting on Arty's comments! Hehe....

I was only planning on seeing it once but I feel compelled to go at least a second time.

I was so glad that the Billie Jean performance was from one take and completely live. How incredible were his vocals on this???

his voice was so great!!! So GRAND! I was totally spellbound. Magnificent!

earth song was live... i saw it 2 times yesterday...

it was diffrent from the demo version....... i k now for a 100%

The fact that he sang live was my favorite part!!!!!!!!!!! On Earth Song he used lyrics from the demos!!!!!!!!

The live singing was AMAZING. He blew me away. Billie Jean was the best I have ever heard it.

I really can't wait to see it again on Friday!!! His voice in IJCSLY OMG!!!!! I cried so much when he get to the chorus... :(

I was amazed at Black Or White! I had never thought he was going to do that live! I smiled so hard when I saw that :D

A lot of live, true. It was great, powerful and very surprising. Nevertheless, Earth Song and Billie Jean were not sung live at all. Those versions came from pitched demos you can find on the Internet (2000 Watts section, for ex.) and be compared easily. In the past, Michael used to alternate live and playback in several songs and not only at the end of them for ad-libs (Billie Jean on the History Tour has live parts in the middle of it, for ex.). The cuts in the songs might be made for live singing sections here too, but he obviously didn't sing them.

[EDIT]

BOW is entirely live and absolutely amazing ! Chills !

Last edited:

I'm going tomorrow guys, but.. what about Jam?
I read here that he sang it live... would be unbelievable, so.. is it true?:)

A part of it is sung live at the end. You can hear playback and live are superimposed for a while.

I told everyone that he sang live...

From my first view I thought there was A LOT of live singing.. all songs were live at some point except Man In The Mirror.

I'm going to go again for sure.

someone should make a list of all the songs that werre sang live and those that weren't.

I'll tell you guys one thing: to my own estimation, this was Michael at his very best! It looked (and sounded) better than Victory, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory tours. Michael was there 100% and he seemed he wanted this more than anything.

I'm so proud of him.. at the age of 50 to top himself!

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of live singing too :D and at the actual songs he was singing live. Had never heard them live before :clapping:

It was truly spellbinding, I didn't want the film to end, I was sad when it ended.

I laughed throughout, it was such a treat and such a rare glimpse of an incredible soul.....

Gotto go see it again NOW!!!!

Even though it was short, What about Speechless!!
Incredible and ended Beuatifully:wub:

amd also the end of I just can't stop loving you is otherworldly!!

Back