Time Magazines List of Most Influential People

KB50MJ

Proud Member
Now I am confused as heck here. How does the Time Magazine get their lists for most influential people?

Because I was looking at their 2009 and 2010 lists, and MJ isn't even mentioned in any of them. But yet they have people like Prince, Miley Cyrus, and Brittany Spears on the list. And they haven't done anything significant in YEARS.

Are these made from polls? Or critics? Because I mean its just downright ridiculous how when MJ passed he influenced countless people around the world in many ways in 2009 alone. And Time doesn't even have him mentioned on the lists.

And dead people can be on it, because I saw Ted Kennedy on the list.

He wasn't even on their list for artists and entertainers of the century. And Mj has influenced more people than any other artist on that list.

kb50mj you don't need a magazine, poll, or contest to determine how influential or great mj the effect of his music, dance and humantarism have on the new generation after him if proof how influential he is, look at all the big music stars that came after him and said how much he had an impact on their lives, look how many hearts he touched i mean he couldn't walk down the street without drawing huge crowds of people no other celebrited ever had that plus he bigger than magazine, its not like people will be saying time magazine change their lives, most people i know doen't even read that much lol but don't worry about that :)

p.s. on another thread i saw your post which i found interesting that the premier of the black and white video drawed over 500 million viewers? wooow is that much tv viewers that really tuned in if so that's amazing

kb50mj you don't need a magazine, poll, or contest to determine how influential or great mj the effect of his music, dance and humantarism have on the new generation after him if proof how influential he is, look at all the big music stars that came after him and said how much he had an impact on their lives, look how many hearts he touched i mean he couldn't walk down the street without drawing huge crowds of people no other celebrited ever had that plus he bigger than magazine, its not like people will be saying time magazine change their lives, most people i know doen't even read that much lol but don't worry about that :)

p.s. on another thread i saw your post which i found interesting that the premier of the black and white video drawed over 500 million viewers? wooow is that much tv viewers that really tuned in if so that's amazing

Yes it is amazing for the amount of views it got. A record for a music video.

And yes I am fully aware of MJ's influence on society. Its just amazing to me how they can completely ignore MJ like that, yet have people like the ones I mentioned above on the list when they have done nothing in the last 2 years. While MJ's death has influenced countless amount of people.

Miley Cyrus?? that's a laugh and a half.....You don't want Michael in the same list as her anyways....:no:

I know... its was a rhetorical question.

We should email them and ask for the explanation... emphasizing the GLOBAL, not only American impact of Michael and his death and success - around the world.

(the biggest problem is that 99% of all polls are only on American base but assumed as "worldwide or global", which is at least ridiculous.)

Now I am confused as heck here. How does the Time Magazine get their lists for most influential people?

Because I was looking at their 2009 and 2010 lists, and MJ isn't even mentioned in any of them. But yet they have people like Prince, Miley Cyrus, and Brittany Spears on the list. And they haven't done anything significant in YEARS.

Are these made from polls? Or critics? Because I mean its just downright ridiculous how when MJ passed he influenced countless people around the world in many ways in 2009 alone. And Time doesn't even have him mentioned on the lists.

And dead people can be on it, because I saw Ted Kennedy on the list.

He wasn't even on their list for artists and entertainers of the century. And Mj has influenced more people than any other artist on that list.

we all know time magazine's opinionated position on Michael..and it was never good..and never will be it has nothing to do with whether he is alive or dead. and it influences everything they do. so, it's not a list to be taken seriously.

Exactly. The moment it was announced that Michael died, the whole world stopped, the internet almost crashed, and millions went into mourning all over the world. Michael was talked about every single day after that, song tributes were written and recorded within a week, and there were candlelight vigils being held. You will never see such an enormous reaction to a celebrity/singer's death like there was to Michael's. I think that alone shows the great influence Michael has and always will have. No magazine, poll, radio station, etc. is needed to prove that. I honestly could care less what magazines or the media have to say about who's "influential" and who's not. It's all in a matter of opinion and who happens to be popular at the moment.

Last edited:
The list is a joke.

The kind of nonsense that can even make the people on the list shake their heads in disbelief.

Another day, another meaningless list.

These polls and best-of lists come and go. Michael's influence is here to stay.

Yet they loved it when fans bought their magazine when they put his picture on the front as a tribute :piggybank:

Not important anyhow, nobody pays attention to that, who cares anyway

Michael's influence is overwhelming and exhibited daily by millions of people who listen to his music,you dont need a mag to validate his influence.

Eh. TIME magazine is rubbish anyway. I think you can deduce that from the kind of people they did choose, some of which you named in your post. Those people aren't even in the same league as Michael.

Another day, another meaningless list.

These polls and best-of lists come and go. Michael's influence is here to stay.

You are mistaken..., its very important... the biggest problem is that 99% of all polls are only on American base but assumed as "worldwide or global", which is ridiculous and pathetic.

Such polls especially from TIME are "respected" and presented as a "matter of fact" globally.

So-called journalists around the world are just copying such polls with their comments, but the point is that Michael is not there, and people-readers are not confronted with the information about Michael and his influential status that is evident and undisputed....but not presented as the part of our history!!

You have to realize the vast impact on society and be thinking globally, not regionally!

Last edited:
You are mistaken..., its very important... the biggest problem is that 99% of all polls are only on American base but assumed as "worldwide or global", which is ridiculous and pathetic.

Such polls especially from TIME are "respected" and presented as a "matter of fact" globally.

So-called journalists around the world are just copying such polls with their comments, but the point is that Michael is not there, and people-readers are not confronted with the information about Michael and his influential status that is evident and undisputed....but not presented as the part of our history!!

You have to realize the vast impact on society and be thinking globally, bot regionally!

^^I agree

These mags do matter..they are done so often and its almost like subliminal messaging. It keeps getting imprinted into peoples minds. I don't know about the Time mag but I have seen the Life magazine on stands called "100 people who changed the world"
On the cover are pictures of various world leaders, athletes, Beatles and Oprah...as soon as I saw this...I knew.

I flipped through the pages and just as there is night and day.. NO Michael...(but they did have good ole Elvis

Moonwalker.Fan and GenieBottle make very good points. Reading their posts makes me scared for the future of Michael's legacy. :( I hope to god that his image and memory doesn't get tarnished or damaged completely because of these stupid media magazines not helping to keep his influence relevant in the world. It's sad to think about...

I wish we could do something..

Thats why I suggested to create a special website about Michael, his legacy and record sales and global achievements...!!!
(It´d be better if it´s supported or authorized with MJ Estate)

You know what? when the next list of the "100 greatest this...or 100 most influential that" comes out, if he (MJ) is still not on it (especially after the global emotional reaction to his death that was witnessed by the world)...we as fans need to bombard that publication or news program with our letters and emails.

This has gone on long enough.

Back