Unheard Michael Jackson & Hermes Pan Personal Interview

Bubbles4ever

Proud Member
UNHEARD MICHAEL JACKSON & HERMES PAN PERSONAL INTERVIEW

This is the rarest piece of music memorabilia we have listed so far in all of the Michael Jackson items we have sold. As far as we know, not a soul outside the original owner and our staff knows this exists. It is a personal interview by Michael Jackson of famed choreographer Hermes Pan, the legend that coached such greats as Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. The interview is roughly 20 minutes long in it's cleaned up form. The interview is personal, Michael at the beginning mentions that this is for his own use and not for commercial release. The two legends speak about multiple things, all related to dancing and music. Michael asks many questions about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, and how they worked together in times past. It is great to hear these two speak so personally to one another. Unfortunately for legal reasons we are unable to provide a sample, as it could possibly violate copyright laws.

The original recording was on DAT tape. it is marked with stickers as the "Original Master" and "Not for Production". The quality of this recording was very poor, being a personal recording we are assuming the equipment was setup by someone not familiar with it. We are not sure if it was an assistant, or it's possible M.J. himself didn't know how to work the recording equipment! The DAT tape was taken after it was purchased in the Teddy Riley property auction and converted to CD in its entirety. That was then given to a friend in the recording industry who produced a 20 minute version that was cleaned up significantly. It is still difficult to hear in parts, but the speech is much clearer and it is easy to distinguish who is speaking.

It is tough to say when or where this was recorded. This tape, like all of our other merchandise, was acquired at the property auction of Future Records Recording Studio, here in Virginia Beach. We do not know how it made its way to this studio, or what it was doing there. We do obviously know that Michael did quite a bit of recording here, but the reasoning behind the tape being there is unknown. There are a few clues as to the date and knowing how this take came to be. Here are a few excerpts from books on the subject of Michael and the moonwalk;

Michael Jackson: The King of Pop By Lisa D. Campbell – Page 192
"Hermes Pan, a choreographer who worked with Fred Astaire, added that he was dying to know how he did that walk!"

From The Moonwalk Book:
"The day after the Motown 25 show, Fred Astaire called me on the telephone. He said - these are his exact words - "You're a hell of a mover. Man, you really put them on their asses last night." That's what Fred Astaire said to me. I thanked him. Then he said, "You're an angry dancer. I'm the same way. I used to do the same thing with my cane."

I had met him once or twice in the past, but this was the first time he had ever called me. He went on to say, "I watched the special last night; I taped it and I watched it again this morning. You're a hell of a mover."

It was the greatest compliment I had ever received in my life, and the only one I had ever wanted to believe. For Fred Astaire to tell me that meant more to me than anything. Later my performance was nominated for an Emmy Award in a musical category, but I lost to Leontyne Price. It didn't matter. Fred Astaire had told me things I would never forget - that was my reward. Later he invited me to his house, and there were more compliments from him until I really blushed. He went over my "Billie Jean" performance, step by step. The great choreographer Hermes Pan, who had choreographed Fred's dances in the movies, came over, and I showed them how to Moonwalk and demonstrated some other steps that really interested them."

Both of these lend to the notion that this might have been recorded shortly after Motown 25, what we all know as the introduction of the moonwalk and one of Jackson's most memorable performances. Other than that, there is no accurate estimate on what date this interview took place and when the tape was recorded.

This interview is an absolute must have for any serious fan of Michael Jackson, and will not ever be released again. This is a once in a lifetime chance to purchase this interview. We are not selling copies, and there are no copies being made personally. Because of this items extremely rare nature, the bidding will begin high. If you have questions feel free to contact us. Good luck bidding!

source & pics: http://cgi.ebay.com/UNHEARD-MICHAEL...214060511QQihZ005QQcategoryZ435QQcmdZViewItem

The item is from same seller who auctioned recently a lot mixes from Dangerous recording sessions.

I'm wondering about how this interview tape came into Teddy's studio?

Last edited:
That would be interesting to hear!For sure.

Good luck any wealthy fan :D

^$10,000 is a joke.

No one in their right (sane) mind would fork out that ludacris amount for a bad quality interview.

Damn, I wish I could hear that. But those suckers are crazy starting the bid at $10,000. Nobody is gonna bid with it starting that high, lol.

I think its worth it for anyone who has the money. This is worth tons more than all those crappy outtakes and different arrangements of dangerous songs and stuff. It's a meeting of the greatest pop artist and the choreographer of the one of the greatest dancers and the person who basically partly inspired MJ to become what he is. It's like Mj meeting James brown.

I'm sure this unheard Michael Jackson & Hermes Pan interview will end up online, for free downloads on various sites now we know about it.

well, I guess I'm just gonna have to pay $10,000!! I was wondering what i should do with my tree that just happens to grow money! FINALLY, a place to spend it!!!!!

wouldn't the interview say most of what we've already heard Mj say about the motown 25 and dancing and things like that?

well, if anyone decides to outbid me, let me know what it says!!!

well, I guess I'm just gonna have to pay $10,000!! I was wondering what i should do with my tree that just happens to grow money! FINALLY, a place to spend it!!!!!

wouldn't the interview say most of what we've already heard Mj say about the motown 25 and dancing and things like that?

well, if anyone decides to outbid me, let me know what it says!!!
its got hardly anything to do with MJ's dancing and motown 25 etc. It's MJ interviewing the choreographer... It's mj trying to learn from him... so its about how fred astaire works etc. Mj just asks questions... so no we havent heard any of it all.

Last edited:
Well, there not too much to guess when the interview was done; obviously, it was probably after 1983's Motown 25 performance and definitely before 1990, when Pan died.

Well, there not too much to guess when the interview was done; obviously, it was probably after 1983's Motown 25 performance and definitely before 1990, when Pan died.

did Michael the interview at Teddy's studio? or why was the tape there?

It's probably facsinating. Michael never gets asked about his art, or his approach towards art, and so we never hear him speak in depth about it. This interview probably has that, and I would love to hear it. I always want to hear what Michael really thinks in regards to dance.

LOL, I doubt they'll be selling that anytime soon.

I dont think it will EVER Sell...Not even after our great-great-great-great-great-great-grat-great-great-great Childten are born:lol:.... YOU KNow how many Greats there are!:huh:!! Dang!!!! They should Give it back to Michael, its his personal stuff!!!! Mannnnnnn!!!!!!!! They should @ least do the right thing!!!! Well, they could give it to me, and I'll give it to Michael...:lol::lol::lol:....how 'bout that!!!:lol:

Last edited:
Hello,

My name is Eric, I run the company brokering the sale of this interview. Just wanted to stop by to make myself available for any questions or comments you all may have.

I understand many of you think this is a very high price, but we do think the rarity of this piece commands the value we are asking. This isn't a normal commodity, and it is hard to feel out the market on something so unique. We based this decision off of the price we have been able to attain for other pieces of work, this one being completely different from the rest. We think fans of Michael beyond just the music would love to add this to their collection. Trust me, it has been a privilege to hear the different mixes, songs and edits while we have been selling these tapes. I can tell you, this interview is much more exciting.

For those of you who have questions, I will do my best to answer them and make myself available to any other requests. I am a fan of Michael myself, so it is interesting to find this community. Thanks!

EDIt: Amber Dawn, the high cost of shipping is due to the cost of insurance, which we are requiring. Actual shipping charges are no more than $10-$12 or so, the insurance is high because of the high dollar value of the item. Just though I'd clear that up!

Last edited:
I'm sure many fans would love to add this to their collection yada yada yada, but something tells me you need a reality check, some MJ fans maybe loons but nobody is stupid, you ain't ever gonna sell that :lol:

Last edited:
For those who have some serious money $10 000 is nothing; those people can spend $10 000 just for one-night stay at hotel, so they are no way will loose opportunity to buy something as worthy as such item. So it is possible to sell it; depends on when rich people will know about the sale.

For those who have some serious money $10 000 is nothing; those people can spend $10 000 just for one-night stay at hotel, so they are no way will loose opportunity to buy something as worthy as such item. So it is possible to sell it; depends on when rich people will know about the sale.

I was just about to say that.

You can't even be serious. Obviously and without question this is a rarity and I'm sure (and I don't doubt) it's very, very interesting. But please get REAL. This was never intended for commercial release in the first place. Just another example of someone that simply wants to profit off of Michael Jackson. Don't do it. Say what you want. It reminds me of the Bad Session tapes, that were on E-Bay I believe for a ridiculous amount of money. OFCOURSE it's rare OFCOURSE it's great but some things just aren't intended to be released. Leave it up to Michael.

You can't even be serious. Obviously and without question this is a rarity and I'm sure (and I don't doubt) it's very, very interesting. But please get REAL. This was never intended for commercial release in the first place. Just another example of someone that simply wants to profit off of Michael Jackson. Don't do it. Say what you want. It reminds me of the Bad Session tapes, that were on E-Bay I believe for a ridiculous amount of money. OFCOURSE it's rare OFCOURSE it's great but some things just aren't intended to be released. Leave it up to Michael.

I gotta agree. I think it should be returned to Michael. It's his personal property and I doubt he meant for it to get confiscated in Teddy's studio auction or whatever it was. It's a personal private interview.

My guess is if Michael wants it back, the seller is hoping he will *ahem* buy his personal property back?? sigh. As a fan of both Michael and Pan's work, I would LOVE to hear/own something like that but ONLY if it was for sale with Michael's blessing/permission....AND I actually had that kind of cash to blow. Otherwise, no way, no how. -_-

I gotta agree. I think it should be returned to Michael. It's his personal property and I doubt he meant for it to get confiscated in Teddy's studio auction or whatever it was. It's a personal private interview.

While it is true that this was meant to be his own private interview, it is no longer his personal property. Just to clarify, the auction took place when Teddy defaulted on Future Records. All of the contents were sold off to pay his debts, this interview included in that. As we said in the auction listing, it's unknown how the tapes got there, it very well could have been recorded there for all we know. Our goal is not to sell to Michael, it really didn't cross our minds. I don't know if Michael shops on eBay in his spare time :). We think there is a collector out there that values this enough to pay the price we have set. We hope so anyway!

-Eric

why is this not on you tube or so id lov to hear this too bt we all would

I'd love to be able to do it, but it's not possible. The way the copyright setup is, putting this on YouTube would be akin to buying a Michael Jackson from a record store and uploading it to eBay. Only difference is the interview was not bought at a store, it was acquired at auction. We'd have a lawsuit on our hands very quickly.

-Eric

Back