Universal Music Group Sues MJ Estate! (MJ Singing R Kelly Song)

Re: R.Kelly Sues MJ Estate!

I feel a WHOLE BUNCH of Curse Words coming, I can't stomach the thought of University Music Group having the audacity to file a lawsuit for a WHOOPING $3,000 dollars!! The Recession Really has come to an all time low I guess... So I will Just Exit Out Of this Threat and Leave Middle Finger To Universal Music Publishing Group.

Last edited:

Is this for real?!! :doh: Michael NEVER SANG the song he just danced to it. What a fucking moron!

I know! He didn't sing the song; he just danced to it. And whoever produced the show should have had to pay to play the song on there. This has nothing to do with Michael and his estate. It amazes me the crap that Michael had to endure from relentlessly being hounded by EVERYONE with ignorant nonsense. :smilerolleyes:

Really? This many years later? This is laughable and completely ridiculous.

omg this is effffing ridiculous!!!! he was in his car, singing along to the song, BEING A HUMAN BEING!!!!!!!! people can be such jerks!!!!!!!!
If you know anything about copyright law, this lawsuit is valid. Just like Warner Brothers threatened a lawsuit on a lady who put up a home video on Youtube of her baby dancing to Prince's "1999" a few years ago. It might be stupid, but it's not called the music business for nothing. But from what I read, it's Universal, not R. Kelly filing the lawsuit. If they own the publishing, Kelly has no say in the matter like Paul McCartney had no say in what Mike did with Beatle songs he wrote.

Let's just end this talk about who made Ignition popular.  We could argue this point all day.  If you don't listen to R&B on a regular basis, then you just wouldn't know.  You want hear R kelly on to many Pop radio stations, they don't play it in the rotation, and if they did it was rare.  But R&B stations heavy rotation.  To the point you got sick of listening to it.  So this argument is pointless.  Let's just end it.

MJ picked a lot of songs from obsucurity. i didn't hear it before. i listened to radio a lot. i didn't hear 'another one bites the dust'. MJ heard it, and told queen to record it, and it became a number 1 hit.

look..you're telling me, i wish it were true, that MJ helped this song? lol...hey..it's not mJ who was hard up and suing people. it's the others that were hard up and are suing the estate. i don't have to wish anything. MJ was the target of envy...not the other way around. i don't have a need for MJ to be more popular than he already was. that's your wishful thinking.

if u wanna go around denying what i saw at parties, and u didn't see at the parties i was at, go ahead. MJ made this song popular.

indeed...the denial of this, proves just how envied MJ really is. MJ really does remind me of Mozart. the envy is incredible.

MJ was always under scrutiny. that didn't keep him from living his life.

MJ didn't pick the song to play. It came on spontaneously like most songs on the radio :doh: I find it hard to believe that you never heard Ignition (Remix) on the radio before :mello: They play that song like every Friday but I guess.....

No, just yours.

Some party....

Okay.

i never heard it on pop radio.
i'm sure there were a lot of songs bopping on r and b radio that the mainstream audience didn't hear..but this blow up is something entirely different, that i'm talking about.

MJ doesn't need my help in what happened here. i'm just telling you what i saw, mainstream. it's not like MJ said to himself...'i'm gunna help an artist out, today'(though MJ was truly charitble) this was an impromptu moment, and the blowup, ever since, was something i could not avoid. everywhere i went, people were talking about it. and i heard u reference 'in da club'. now that's a different story. that was a pop hit, by itself. and i listened to the radio, and heard the fifty cent hit..but i did NOT hear the r kelly hit on pop radio.
First time I heard Ignition was from PHMs also. That's how I starting liking it. :yes:

MJ didn't pick the song to play. It came on spontaneously like most songs on the radio :doh: I find it hard to believe that you never heard Ignition (Remix) on the radio before :mello: They play that song like every Friday but I guess.....

No, just yours.

Some party....

Okay.

u know what? i ain't tryin to parse hit songs. i know the MJ moment was impromptu. i just told someone else in this thread, who said that ignition was number 2 only behind 'in da club', that i did hear 'in da club' but i didn't hear 'ignition', on POP radio.

why should i have to look up 'billboard' to know if a song is a pop hit? i'm too lazy. i just listen to the radio. forgive me.

so i saw the phm..i saw the impromptu moment..and i witnessed the blowup.

i don't see any logical reason to make this stuff up.

if u notice..i didn't give MJ credit for the success of 'in da club'.

maybe ignition was an r and b hit for aficianados who listen religiously to r and b radio...but what happened after phm is a bigger and different story.

quite frankly, universal records is proving my point. if 'ignition' stayed the type of hit that it was, according to u, after phm..universal would not be going after the estate.

people go after MJ, only after the whole world is part of a success story. the fact that it happens a lot, is not something i invented.

Yes, and also he said he never heard of the group.

Well of course he would say that.:smilerolleyes:
But the court also said that there's only about 43% similarity and that it most likely is a coincidence. I believe that. The only similarity is the melody. So many songs have similar melodies.

Yes there is 43% (how did they come up with this percentage exactly?) similarity but the court claims that that 43% of the melody was obviously too alike . The court doesnt say it was coincidence. R.Kelly does. Which he would say.
Oops! I meant JUST Belgium :doh: for some reason I thought Belgium was in Germany.
That's ok thats not you're first mistake ;)
What are you talking about? The decision to ban the song was made because he only had the final score that was registered a month after the Belgium composers song was registered. If he had presented the demo that was recorded before June 1995 then it wouldn't have even been banned. If the court didn't find it a likely coincidence the Belgium composers could've sued R. Kelly for the rights of the song.

IF he presented a demo before 95 but he didnt or couldnt and those suing R.Kelly could and did and thats why they won. They had evidence they wrote the song, R.Kelly did not. That's how court works ;)

The reason they only banned the song in Belgium is because that where the original artists are from.

u know what? i ain't tryin to parse hit songs. i know the MJ moment was impromptu. i just told someone else in this thread, who said that ignition was number 2 only behind 'in da club', that i did hear 'in da club' but i didn't hear 'ignition', on POP radio.

why should i have to look up 'billboard' to know if a song is a hit. i'm too lazy. i just listen to the radio. forgive me.

so i saw the phm..i saw the impromptu moment..and i witnessed the blowup.

i don't see any logical reason to make this stuff up.

if u notice..i didn't give MJ credit for the success of 'in da club'.

It's actually one of his few songs that gets recurrent play on Pop radio.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mello:

I'm not saying you're making stuff up. I guess the "blow up" was between you and your colleagues. It was already a worldwide success in 2002.

The music industry is sicking.  So you telling me if I record my self listening to the radio a free service to all and post on youtube I can get sued.  Well damn, what a shame.

It's actually one of his few songs that gets recurrent play on Pop radio.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mello:

I'm not saying you're making stuff up. I guess the "blow up" was between you and your colleagues. It was already a worldwide success in 2002.

world wide? lol...people on this site, from around the world only started talking about it, after phm.

sure..it's getting play on Pop radio..NOW.

damn weird that i remember 'in da club' on pop radio, before phm..but not 'ignition'.

like i said..i listened to the radio religiously.

i'm sure there are a number of r and b songs that are playing right now, on your friday night, that i know nothing about. and you probably would call them hits. but if one of em gets the exposure that phm gave 'ignition', and people notice, like they're noticing 'ignition', right now? that's the difference i'm talking about...

but..heh..maybe u know that, but u like our back and forth, here...:rolleyes:

if u care to name a couple of those current friday night specials..feel free...i'll see if i recognize them.

Last edited:

Well of course he would say that.:smilerolleyes:

Yes there is 43% (how did they come up with this percentage exactly?) similarity but the court claims that that 43% of the melody was obviously too alike . The court doesnt say it was coincidence. R.Kelly does. Which he would say.

That's ok thats not you're first mistake ;)

IF he presented a demo before 95 but he didnt or couldnt and those suing R.Kelly could and did and thats why they one. They had evidence they wrote the song, R.Kelly did not. That's how court works ;)

The reason they only banned the song in Belgium is because that where the original artists are from.

Most likely true. :mello:

Idk. I'm not a musicologist :mello:

Lets not :smilerolleyes:

Because he didn't have a demo :mello: Why is this so hard for you to understand? Most of his recordings are done in impromtu at the spot. He doesn't even hand write his music.

But still that's not proof he plagiarized the song. ;)

No, sh*t :mello:

He was just singing for fun like we all do when a song we like comes on the radio. Leave Michael alone for god sake.

The music industry is sicking.  So you telling me if I record my self listening to the radio a free service to all and post on youtube I can get sued.  Well damn, what a shame.
Technically, you're not supposed to upload copyrighted material. Some record companies don't care that much and put ads to buy the song on the video. Others like Warners, Concord, Verve, Viacom, NBC, and others will shut your page down. In some cases, it's the songwriter who block songs.

world wide? lol...people on this site, from around the world only started talking about it, after phm.

sure..it's getting play on Pop radio..NOW.

damn weird that i remember 'in da club' on pop radio, before phm..but not 'ignition'.

like i said..i listened to the radio religiously.

people on this site ≠ everyone worldwide.

Since 2002 dear :mello:

In Da Club had a memorable video + that was 50 cent at his peak :mello:

Probably the classical station

But I'm chillin in my car just trippin out to a song on my radio and my friend video tape me with their phone and I want to post it on youtube and share with my other friends. So they sue me, that ain't right. The radio is free. Unreal. The music industry SUCKS!!!!

Last time I checked the Billboard Hot 100 wasn't the Billboard R&B Charts, but if you want to believe the song Ignition was plucked from obscurity by Michael Jackson, who am I not to let you live your dreams. I'm just saying it is what it is. In a recent MTV article R Kelly says MJ asked Kelly to write him a song just like Ignition. MJ was all about hits, so I doubt he would've wanted some random song with no hit potential. But okay...I'll go with the theory that after PHM the song catapulted to the top of the charts, even tho it had been there already.

Although I am more then sure this is not R Kelly's doing it will come across looking like it is. For the person who said this is business OK yes it is but why oh why wait seven years and when the guy has died to ask for money? Universal is a big music group not in need for three grand.

And the song didn't come on the radio randomly. They were playing the Chocolate Factory CD, the album which Ignition is on. The song starts a particular way which is played only on the CD, not on a radio edit and can be heard in that video.

But I'm chillin in my car just trippin out to a song on my radio and my friend video tape me with their phone and I want to post it on youtube and share with my other friends. So they sue me, that ain't right. The radio is free. Unreal. The music industry SUCKS!!!!
You're just figuring that out, lol. You could have asked any old act, who were exploited and are broke today. They have to do oldies shows to make money, because they get no royalties. It's the law, and the music business doesn't make laws, although they most likely bribed somebody back in the old days. Maybe you should complain to the government who write and pass laws. The music business used to be ran by the mafia, and they probably still have a hand in it today. The radio isn't free, everything on it is paid to be on there with payola. It's free to listen to it in the privacy of your own home, but if you film yourself listening to it and put it on public display, you have to pay. It's the same as someone making a movie and they want to put someone's music in their movie, the film's producers have to pay the publishers and whoever owns the master recordings.

people on this site ≠ everyone worldwide.

Since 2002 dear :mello:

In Da Club had a memorable video + that was 50 cent at his peak :mello:

Probably the classical station

yeah..i guess people on this site are only from the usa.:yes::timer:

and of cousre MJ fans make up a miniscule part of the world's population. which is why the world media made a big deal out of MJ apparently brushing his teeth wrong, or somn, every day of his latter life:yes: :timer:

and...of course...no song can survive without a video :yes: :timer:

and..i guess R kelly wasn't at his peak...

ok.....

last time i checked..a song is popular when u don't have to get out of bed to notice it.

Last edited:

C'mon people!!

R. Kelly owns more than 50% song and he obviously opted out on suing Michael's estate. I do not see R Kelly Publishing Inc suing Michael whatsoever. Universal Music Publishing are going after their portion royalties because R. Kelly recently used it on tour - hence the low 3,000.00 fee. It was already cleared for the Private Home Movies (that aired on Fox many years ago) or you would have seen a much higher fee from Universal.... so yeah Universal was already paid for that.

It really isn't anything to worry about...

Can we do a little edit job on the title please? As stated earlier, it wouldn't make much sense for R. Kelly to be so humbled and overjoyed at the sight of one of his idols dancing to his music on a tv show (over 6 yrs old, i might add), that he would include the piece in a tribute to the man, pen a tribute song, and months later, turn around and sue his idol's estate for improper use of his song? lol

C'mon people!!

R. Kelly owns more than 50% song and he obviously opted out on suing Michael's estate. I do not see R Kelly Publishing Inc suing Michael whatsoever. Universal Music Publishing are going after their portion royalties because R. Kelly recently used it on tour - hence the low 3,000.00 fee. It was already cleared for the Private Home Movies (that aired on Fox many years ago) or you would have seen a much higher fee from Universal.... so yeah Universal was already paid for that.

It really isn't anything to worry about...

then why couldn't r kelly and universal have a talk, instead of universal jumping on a bandwagon that they know would cause a firestorm? they wanted this attention. and we're getting blamed for it, cus we're reacting to it..not to mention the media source that made up the dramatic title of this situation..

then why couldn't r kelly and universal have a talk, instead of universal jumping on a bandwagon that they know would cause a firestorm? they wanted this attention. and we're getting blamed for it, cus we're reacting to it..not to mention the media source that made up the dramatic title of this situation..

R. Kelly has no control over what Universal does. They are the second biggest label in the world and they can do whatever they want. R. Kelly is their employee, not the other way around.

Universal simply filed a creditors claim.... no one told TMZ to report it. TMZ reports the smallest creditors claim against Michael just so they can create headlines. Simple as that.

Universal simply filed a creditors claim.... no one told TMZ to report it. TMZ reports the smallest creditors claim against Michael just so they can create headlines. Simple as that.

TMZ need to fill their daily quota of MJ stories.:smilerolleyes:

Back