VH1's '100 Greatest Music Artists of All Time', airs September 6, 2010-Vote: post 26.

MJStorm

Proud Member
Vote for Michael.

V.O.T.E. http://www.vh1.com/interact/social/100_greatest_artists/

Exclusive: VH1 names the '100 Greatest Artists of All Time'; see the top 20

On Sept. 6 VH1 will begin airing what's bound to become another addictive countdown special: VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. The list was determined by hundreds of musicians and music experts, many of whom appear on the show.A few folks you'll see include Ozzy Osbourne, Ray Davies, Wayne Coyne, Regina Spektor (pictured), Rob Halford, Whitney Houston, Sheryl Crow and ... yours truly. (I recall wearing a rather bizarre shirt for this interview, so please don't judge.)

The top five (in alphabetical order):

The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Michael Jackson
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones

NUMBER 6 – 100, RANKED

6. Jimi Hendrix
7. Prince
8. Elvis Presley
9. James Brown
10. Stevie Wonder
11. Bob Marley
12. David Bowie
13. The Who
14. Nirvana
15. The Beach Boys
16. Madonna
17. Queen
18. Pink Floyd
19. U2
20. Marvin Gaye
21. Bruce Springsteen
22. The Clash
23. AC/DC
24. The Velvet Underground
25. Chuck Berry
26. Neil Young
27. Aretha Franklin
28. Elton John
29. Radiohead
30. Aerosmith
31. John Lennon
32. Black Sabbath
33. Guns N' Roses
34. Tina Turner
35. Johnny Cash
36. Paul McCartney
37. Fleetwood Mac
38. Sly & The Family Stone
39. The Kinks
40. The Police
41. Van Halen
42. Metallica
43. Ray Charles
44. Joni Mitchell
45. Al Green
46. Ramones
47. Jay-Z
48. Rage Against The Machine
49. Parliament-Funkadelic
50. Sade
51. Billy Joel
52. Beyonce
53. Little Richard
54. Public Enemy
55. Peter Gabriel
56. KISS
57. Iggy & The Stooges
58. Cheap Trick
59. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
60. Whitney Houston
61. Cream
62. Genesis
63. Notorious B.I.G.
64. Talking Heads
65. The Doors
66. Justin Timberlake
67. Coldplay
68. Otis Redding
69. Tupac Shakur
70. Def Leppard
71. R.E.M.
72. Janis Joplin
73. Van Morrison
74. The Cure
75. Rush
76. Run-D.M.C.
77. Lynyrd Skynyrd
78. Judas Priest
79. Eminem
80. Mary J. Blige
81. ABBA
82. Steely Dan
83. Earth, Wind and Fire
84. Curtis Mayfield
85. The Band
86. N.W.A.
87. George Michael
88. Bee Gees
89. Beastie Boys
90. Elvis Costello
91. Green Day
92. LL Cool J
93. Pearl Jam
94. Mariah Carey
95. OutKast
96. Journey
97. Pretenders
98. Depeche Mode
99. Hall & Oates
100. Alicia Keys

Now We can vote too: http://www.vh1.com/interact/social/1...estion=alltime

VH1's five-hour 100 Greatest Artists of All Time kicks off with a two-hour premiere on Sept. 6.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/po...ee-the-top-20/1
http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Musi...41951282749423/
http://www.newsroomamerica.com/stor...top_greatest_musicians_of_all_time_list_.html
PS: No Janet Jackson. I LOVED that list!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Re: VH1's '100 Greatest Music Artists of All Time', airs September 6, 2010

I can tell you who is NOT going to be at no.1, if he is then vh1 would surprise me (in a good way because he HAS to be no1 lol)

I agree with this list. The Beatles and Bob Dylan and Michael Jackson are just so different as musicians and artists. They worked in such different contexts and genres. And just looking at the effect the music has had on American culture- yeah there was Michaelmania and it was HUGE and AWESOME, but The Beatles and Dylan were the soundtrack to a whole youth social reform movement. Michael constantly tried to get people to see the deeper message in his songs, but was never super successful at that because of the apathy of the generation to which he is most relevant.

So yes. This list seems just about right. Except Elvis above James Brown...

Also Beyonce above Little Richard. WTF.

Beyonce is #52. Justin Timberlake is #66. Note all the artists below them. And also Jay-Z is apparently the greatest rapper who ever lived. The list is garbage and happens to have a decent top five.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Elvis barely making the top 10, although I'd put JB and Stevie ahead of him. Michael is rightly in the top 5, but like Coolerthanallie said all artists in this top 5 are very different and in their own way amazing, so whom you would put at nr 1 just depends on your personal taste.

Personally I would have put Tupac way higher (wth does Justin Timberlake get more recognition than him?) and I would have replaced Beyoncé with Aaliyah (just personal taste though) and I would have put Mariah Carey way higher. In her golden days she was on par with Whitney Houston imo. Oh and U2 is overrated :p

Ha, the Bee Gees have had 20 number 1's and are 22 places behind Justin Timberlake, perhaps the most overated act in musical history.

This Show always Pissed me off. Cuz they always make Michael #2 or something... I hope they get their heads together this year... :smilerolleyes:

L.o.v.e.
Romi

#2 in a top 100 of mostly great artists? I'd gladly take it ;D

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Michael-Jackson-the-Beatles-prnews-1662381156.html?x=0&.v=1

"VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time" List:
TOP 5, IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Michael Jackson
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Rolling Stones

VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time" has changed since its first poll in 1998. Some notable changes include:

Michael Jackson was number 40 in the 1998 poll; however, in the current list Jackson is in the top 5.

I can't believe he was 40th in that 1998 ranking. Downright ridiculous.

Am I reading this right? This is list of the top 100 already and the remaining 5 is not set yet just saying these are the remaining 5 and making us guess who is #1?

I don't know. These lists lost credibility with me a long time ago. They're a popularity contest and seldom based on merit. I mean Michael should never have been out of the top 3 but media and most of the sheep public mindset happily made it that way. I hate when they do this with movies and award shows too. Taylor swift won artist of the year in 2009 for crying out loud. (shakes head)

^Agreed. On any other list, Elvis would be in the top 5 too. So, just goes to show you - depends on who's compiling.

I'd get rid of 50-60% of this list. I'm a fan of The Beatles, but I don't see a point of having the group and then John & Paul separate. I'd put Nat King Cole, Nina Simone, or Donny Hathaway instead of Alicia Keys. How can someone put Justin Timberlake on a list instead of Sam Cooke, Roger Troutman, or Jackie Wilson. Journey is on the list and Steve Perry is basically using Sam's vocal style and Mariah Carey got part of hers from Minnie Riperton who is not on the list. There's no Antonio Carlos Jobim, Burt Bacharach, Scott Joplin, Tito Puente, Sun Ra, or Miles Davis. Why are The Ramones, KISS, & Jay-Z here instead of the Funk Brothers or Booker T & The MGs? Like I mentioned in the other thread like this, it's just list of acts that the general public knows. VH1 won't get any ratings for their show if they really made a list of the "greatest music artists".

WTF NO NO NO, first of all, MJ is no1, he revolutionized music, broke barriers, records etc he is without a doubt the best. Also, Nirvana, beach boys before Guns N' Roses???? Hell no, also, Aerosmith should be in the top 10 and where the hell is BON JOVI??? Not even on the list, VH1 is extremely disappointing! WHY IS JOURNEY SO FAR DOWN, THEY WERE BRILLIANT!!!

I'd get rid of 50-60% of this list. I'm a fan of The Beatles, but I don't see a point of having the group and then John & Paul separate. I'd put Nat King Cole, Nina Simone, or Donny Hathaway instead of Alicia Keys. How can someone put Justin Timberlake on a list instead of Sam Cooke, Roger Troutman, or Jackie Wilson. Journey is on the list and Steve Perry is basically using Sam's vocal style and Mariah Carey got part of hers from Minnie Riperton who is not on the list. There's no Antonio Carlos Jobim, Burt Bacharach, Scott Joplin, Tito Puente, Sun Ra, or Miles Davis. Why are The Ramones, KISS, & Jay-Z here instead of the Funk Brothers or Booker T & The MGs? Like I mentioned in the other thread like this, it's just list of acts that the general public knows. VH1 won't get any ratings for their show if they really made a list of the "greatest music artists".

I agree with you SO much. I just want to add: Frank Sinatra, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Luciano Pavoratti, Julio Iglesias, Celia Cruz, Carlos Santana, the Supremes, Smokey Robinson, KRS One, Eric B, NWA. Heck, it can even be argued that Tom Jones and Liberace deserve a spot on this list over others listed. As you stated so beautifully, this is a popularity contest not a list of actual artists with merit.

How did eminem get # 79? ahead of mariah or green day? that's messed up but all in all they did a pretty good job.

beyonce is ranked over janis joplin? ROFL im gonna go laugh until i cry now

The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Michael Jackson
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones

I think that's a pretty got 'top 5' but we all know they won't give Michael the #1 spot. Beatles will probably be #1 and Michael might be second or third. Why do they even have the Beatles on there if McCartney and Lennon are on the list separately? I think it should be one or the other. That's like putting Michael and the Jacksons (or Jackson 5) on that list.

I have to admit, I'm kind of glad they didn't put Elvis in the top 5.

Hoping Michael is #1 though. I really hope so. :)

VH1 has lost all credibility in the past 10 years!!!!!

Nuff said!!!!!!

Not sure if Michael will be pole position in these polls but its nice to see him being acknowledged after all the crap people like VH1 and MTV have said about him in the past.

If Michael Jackson gets #1 I think I will die of utter shock. The fact that they even recognized him enough to include him the top 5 is amazing in itself considering how they turn their nose up at him most of the time. Nice to see that Prince isn't too far behind though.

The VHI list If it was the greatest artis of all time michael should had been number one and janet should have been on the list somewhere.

Re: Vote for the Greatest Artist of All Time on vh1.com.

isn't he already in Top 5 ?

isn't he already in Top 5 ?

Yes ,he is already in Top 5 from music experts.But apparently there is also a vote with all the artists of top 15 who is done by the people.

Just did. Thank you for the info

Back