Was you fan of MJ before or after his death?

Was you fan of mj before or after his death?

• Before his death

Votes: 428 94.3%
  • After his death

Votes: 26 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a tricky one for me to answer. Yes, I enjoyed him and his music before his death, but I wasn't a dedicated follower like I am now. I'd like to think I was still a "fan" before and have not just become one after his death. Depends on your definition of a "fan" I guess, and yes I did see him as a person rather than just a celebrity before he died and he was a big part of my childhood (he has been my hero), but didn't learn much about him until now.

This is a tricky one for me to answer. Yes, I enjoyed him and his music before his death, but I wasn't a dedicated follower like I am now. I'd like to think I was still a "fan" before and have not just become one after his death. Depends on your definition of a "fan" I guess, and yes I did see him as a person rather than just a celebrity before he died and he was a big part of my childhood (he has been my hero), but didn't learn much about him until now.

Very well explained. Most of us actually grew with MJ singing in the background. I remember watching the J5 cartoons when I was some 4 years old... then the fear to Thriller and the total admiration to Smooth Criminal, but I turned into a fan with Dangerous. I still have my old cassette of it (cassette... did I say that?). But I was never a collector fan, nor a very active fan. I have no posters, no pictures, no magazines, just his music and dances, videos and magic. For me, his private life was exactly that: private, so I just concentrate on the music and laughed to the rumors. I had been just once interested in the private life of a celebrety, but just for a while.

But I never ever joined an online community before June. I will go here and there, pick some information, read some comments, but never joined, never was an active member.

From day to day I think I shoud have joined before. Every time I see the date below my avatar I feel ashamed to just join long time active fans. Maybe it is just selfish me who didn't take the time to be an active fan. Besides my very private plans to make it to London in February 2010, I honestly was not an active fan.

Whatever... I love him anyway. And I miss him a lot :(

Well I got a laptop for Christmas, so I wanted to find some music to download, so I downloaded Beat It and Thriller, then later Smooth Criminal, and it just grew from there.

And this is how I remember. :D

vh5bhf.jpg

By the way, yes it's from LimeWire, but my mum owns Thriller on cassette, Off The Wall on Vinyl, and Bad on CD.

I have Dangerous on CD.

I'm going to get the rest for Christmas to support MJ, and for the high quality audio.

How cool :clapping:

So, come on then. Who became a fan after death? It would be intresting to hear your story, what did you think of Michael before his death?

Always have been a fan, from as long as i can remember, i think i was 9 when i first bought an MJ album. after his death i realised how much you miss someone when their gone, even if you don't personally know them, but somehow i always felt though i knew Michael personally, and i think that's what Michael wanted, you know for his fans to feel they know him personally. x

Became more of a fan in 1988, when i was 7 in the Bad Era. I was a fan before and enjoyed beat it and billie jean.

You know this topic had me curious....

How many of us had the chance to become a fan earlier on in our life, especially the younger fans?

I remember there were MANY chances of me becoming a fan of MJ earlier on but it wasn't until that particular moment of last year that I became really devoted....

I remember watching Billie Jean the music video when I was 5 but I didn't know that was MJ... :blush: Embarrassing.... But I thought he was really really cute...

Leave Me Alone music video fascinated me as well...

I remember watching Thriller in 2001... Had me scared.. I was 9...

I mean looking back, there were so many chances of me discovering Michael... I feel so angry that I only truly discovered him until last year... :(

I am really glad I stumbled upon that J5 album...

Before his death....

I accidentally stumbled on a J5 album...and there was no turning back.. :D

I accidently stumbled on fifteen seconds of the thriller song, and there was no turning back. :)

Both. However, prior to his death I was a very casual fan. I definitely grew up with his music being that I am 46 years old. But I never purposefully went out of my way to explore his music further than what I heard on the radio. My sister was more of a "maniacal" fan (hehe), even going to a couple of events where he was appearing to see him in person (almost impossible as the man was always surrounded). Although I had considered it, I was just too lazy to go to his Times Square CD signing. :smilerolleyes:

I've posted this before but Michael's death woke me up from a stupor I was in. It hit me not long after the tragedy what this country and this world had actually lost (not to mention his family). I loved Farrah Fawcett. She was one of my idols growing up but when she died I did not turn to a Farrah Fawcett message board. But I did come to a Michael Jackson message board to help with my grieving because his death hit me harder than Farrah, Elvis, Lennon, Princess Diana and JFK Jr. combined. Honestly.

Before his passing...since I was three years old. I always wanted to marry him. :) Still do though...hehe (by the way, I´m 22 now...)

:( Am I the only one who became a fan after?

I really don't know how to explain it. I always liked his music but I've never been one to go look for the artist when I like one of their songs. I believe it was the day of that I was just sitting doing some work when I'll Be There came on and someone mentioned it was Michael Jackson when he was younger and I was amazed. That same day I believe it was, the news came out and when I got home I started to do searches about him and started to watch his music videos on youtube and fell in love.
I'm not very proud of myself for not noticing him sooner but it's better late than never right?

I'm not very proud of myself for not noticing him sooner but it's better late than never right?

Don't feel bad Oldmoon. There's tonnes more people that became fans after his death, it's just that there's hardly been any coverage (good coverage I mean) of him for the last 10 years. The main thing is that you're a fan, it doesn't matter when you became one :huggy:

I've been a fan for erm... I dunno about 10 years maybe. I really don't know LOL it was too long ago to remember so it's a rough guess :lol:

I've been a fan for 18 years....I'm 22 years old. So I was 4 years old when I became a fan. I can clearly remember my parents allowing me to stay up and watch the premiere of the "Black or White" video. That was such a thrill!!!!!!! I also have, on video, my cousin Ashley and I dancing in her room to "Black or White" and "Who Is It" when I was 4. That video means a lot to me.

Michael was also my first crush! :wub: When I was little, I had a bride veil and bouquet, and I used to have my mom "marry" me and Michael. I thought for sure that I would one day marry him! :love: I'm quite certain that I wasn't the only girl who thought that! ;)

Last edited:
been a fan sense feb. 13, 1982 the day i was born my parents always played Michael and the jacksons five a lot when Thriller Premiered on MTV my brothers and sisters always tell me about how i was infront of the tv dancing. I am a stan

Aww it's okay. I've found myself apologizing to MJ under my breath sometimes for not being a better, more alert fan. I think he forgives us. :)

I would like to think that had the TII tour actually happened and had it eventually come to the United States that I might have gone to see him live because the hype of it being his "final curtain call" and of my sister nagging me might have made it too hard to resist seeing him at MSG or whatever NYC venue he would have played...if only. We'll never know...

:( Am I the only one who became a fan after?

I really don't know how to explain it. I always liked his music but I've never been one to go look for the artist when I like one of their songs. I believe it was the day of that I was just sitting doing some work when I'll Be There came on and someone mentioned it was Michael Jackson when he was younger and I was amazed. That same day I believe it was, the news came out and when I got home I started to do searches about him and started to watch his music videos on youtube and fell in love.

moon, you are one of the fam .:D you are an absolute treasure,credit to any mjj forum ...and i am blessed to have found you as a friend :wild:, welcome home sis :yes:

When my mother was pregnant with me I was already kicking to his beats :D I’m 27 now I was born the year thriller came out so you could not miss MJ he was everywhere…:) I remember being a kid when my brothers got his LPs for their birthdays. I had his posters on the wall and I recorded almost every single program on VHS that was about him when I was around 10. I still have them somewhere in the basement =) I just can’t remember how many times I’ve seen Moonwalker on VHS or Captain EO in Paris Eurodisney:smilerolleyes: My best experience I have to say HIStory Tour Live in Gothenburg. It was supposed to be This Is It in London but instead I went there to pay tribute to the person I had looked up to all my life on the day that was supposed to be his birthday. He Rocked our world and he really was a man many generations grew up with. I’m happy to see a new generation of Michael's fans is growing, It’s never too late to be a MJ fan.

I have always loved Michael and his music....one of my favourite childhood memories is watching moonwalker again and agian (oh how I was mesmerised by him in the Speed Demon dance!) :D Then as time went on, I lost touch with what was going on, I still loved Michael's music and hated the way the media attacked him, but I wasn't a MASSIVE fan the way I am now. I don't know what triggered it, but about 2 years ago, I came accross some videos, and that was it. I though to myself 'OH MY GOD, WHERE HAVE I BEEN?? HOW COME NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THIS MAN?' I found myself totally in love with Michael, the artist and Michael the person as I got to know more and more about him....then when I heard about the tour...well it felt like my life was complete. I got hold of opening night VIP tickets and front row seats. I was thinking about what I was going to wear to the concert when I found out.

I realise now, that Michael's always been THERE, sometimes in the background, sometimes indirectly, but always a part of my life. He really is part of the cultrual DNA, and has affected everyone. It's impossibe to not know about him or his music.

I'm really thankful that Michael is at the forefront of my life now, he always will be.

Last edited:
I have been a fan since WAYYY before Michael passed...since 1977.....I was 10 years old...I remember my Dad had a vinyl Rocking Robin....and the rest is history.....I have always loved Michael and I always will..

I've been a fan for many many years. I still find it a bit wierd that some people became a fan after his death somehow. I mean why so late?! But then again better late then never...

I don't think it's wierd. I'm a long time fan, but Michael's major visibility in the last decade to 15 years has been more about personal issues than his talent. The reports of his death also came with showcases of his work and acquainted or reacquainted millions with just how phenomenal he was. Once you really get exposure to his work, it's not wierd at all to become a fan. That's why nearly 20 million copies of his albums have sold in just 5 months.

Plus, with the wonder of YouTube, all kinds of unbelievable performances can be found that mesmerize.

I can't remember a time when I was not a MJ fan, but readily admit I wasn't on message boards or scouring youtube about him either. I was absorbed in my own life stuff. But Michael's death literally devastated me, and I've been obsessed with him ever since, and still don't understand how someone who I did not have a one-on-one personal relationship with could affect me as deeply as his passing continues to do so. It really is like I've lost a family member. Now, that's wierd to me. But his gaining new fans now is not wierd at all in my book.

Before!I became a Michael jackson fan in 1983,after listening to thesong billie jean.

Since that time,i am and will always be,a Michael jackson fan.

In fact,although i love and admire lots of groups and singers,i was always,only a Michael jackson fan.And that will never change.

I've been a fan since the history tour but i welcome all the new fans, i think it's great that a lot of the younger generation are getting into him now.

well i've been a fan of his music since i was 7... I'm 19 now.
but i've only been a fan of the man himself since Feb of THIS year... :'(

i wish i had longer time to have the person (more than just his music) in my life.
i would have had more of a beautiful and joyous wonders in my life, if only i took the chance to knew him sooner. I'm very angry. Angry with myself.

Last edited:
Back