Weekend News Bytes for April 4-6, 2008 (update for April 6 on post #49)

Re: Weekend News Bytes for April 4-6, 2008 (update for April 5 on post #18)

And Murdock confuses me, because he seems to ride both sides of the fence. He actually buddied up with Hillary a while back. But his FOX network is so pro republican.
yes, he held a fundraiser for her campaign which was odd. but then again, both Clintons attended his Fox News's 10th anniversary party so they could be personal friends.

That is because he doesn't care who wins the election because nothing really changes at the top.
Agreed. He was hedging his bets. He wouldn't be the only one. You can bet he gave substantially MORE to the republican party though.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/art...est_news/6810c84ffb1bee4286257422007eb7ef.txt

USD students get groove on for world record
6:04 PM
By Molly Montag Journal staff writer

VERMILLION, S.D. -- Students at the University of South Dakota in Vermillion worked up a sweat today trying to break a world record and raise money for a good cause.

Some of the students -- 123 to be exact -- got their groove on in the Vermillion High School gymnasium to try to break the world record for the largest number of people to successfully complete the steps to Michael Jackson's Thriller.

They twisted, they stomped, they jumped and they even snapped along with the beat. And, in true Thriller spirit, they started the dance by sprawling out on the gymnasium floor.

The world record attempt, which must be verified by the Guinness Book of World Records, was part of the school's annual Dance Marathon festivities, which raises money for the Children's Miracle Network.

For video of the dance, keep checking the video section of www.siouxcityjournal.com in the coming days.

For more on this story, pick up a copy of Saturday's Sioux City Journal.

there is a nice article on Mariah and Madonna beating Elvis' record (ps: glad its them.. becuz when Michael is back.. the hate won't be as great when he beats Madonna & Mariah record.. loving the competition.. this is what gets Mike fired up)...[/B][/COLOR]

Nobody will be beating Mariah's record anytime soon. Also, Madonna may tie MJ for 13 number ones with her new song.

If Madonna's new song is "4 minutes to save the world", I don't like it. I think that the song shows off Justin more than her.

Nobody will be beating Mariah's record anytime soon. Also, Madonna may tie MJ for 13 number ones with her new song.

:yes: :yes: totally agree serendipity, also Rasta I don't think MJ is that driven by breaking records anymore, i mean someone like Madonna has put out twice as many albums and Prince 4 times as many in the last 26 years, I think Michael really wanted to have the best selling album and that's his forever nobody is going to ever beat that, I think if he was driven to compete with Mariah and Madge he'd put out more albums instead of only 5 since 1979 studio albums.

I really want Michael to get another #1 song

I really want Michael to get another #1 song

Oh Jaydom, I think you will get your wish.

I mean don't you think that with all the anticipation that is building up for his next offering, that every DJ in the country, namely urban, will be bumping his new tune? I can easily see how if they get wind of the first new single, these DJs will be bumping that thing on the first day they get it. And then you will have websites like Billboard announcing it, then the IPOD people will get wind of it and once they get it and Walmart gets it, then I can easily see how it will go straight to number one.

Can you see it?

Stop being so negative people. Michael got a top ten with "You Rock My World", and that was without any radio play hardly. Stop trippin. And in the end, who really cares. I'm just glad Elvis got bumped off by somebody, lol. Michael woulda done it a long time ago if he released more albums. But he's a quality over quantity kinda guy, which speaks to his true artistry.

Stop being so negative people. Michael got a top ten with "You Rock My World", and that was without any radio play hardly. Stop trippin. And in the end, who really cares. I'm just glad Elvis got bumped off by somebody, lol. Michael woulda done it a long time ago if he released more albums. But he's a quality over quantity kinda guy, which speaks to his true artistry.

but has the quality been good music??? Invincible took 6 years to come out and I wouldn't call all of those songs quality recordings

u take a break form one board that u ruin with your negatvitiy and bring it here instead. go take a real break

u take a break form one board that u ruin with your negatvitiy and bring it here instead. go take a real break

I am not being negative at all. I want Michael to have a successful comeback just like you do. What is negative about what I've been saying?

http://www.lvrj.com/news/17335154.html

Apr. 06, 2008

THE SCENE AND HEARD

Residents in Wayne Newton's neighborhood are abuzz over sightings of Michael Jackson and his family. Word is he is renting. Jackson returned to Las Vegas late last year and spent more than three months in a Palms suite before moving out last month.

but has the quality been good music??? Invincible took 6 years to come out and I wouldn't call all of those songs quality recordings

"Invincible" was a high quality album. Just because you didn't personally like the songs doesn't mean the music wasn't top notch. Dang jaydom, you're so damn negative. What's the point, exactly? It's not like you're making a difference, except in making it harder for everyone here.

Last edited:

Kaymon sorry Jaydom, don't you post enough of your trash on KOP. Do you have to post it everywhere.

Apr. 06, 2008

THE SCENE AND HEARD

Residents in Wayne Newton's neighborhood are abuzz over sightings of Michael Jackson and his family. Word is he is renting. Jackson returned to Las Vegas late last year and spent more than three months in a Palms suite before moving out last month.

Thanks. So the man did not completely drop off of the face of the earth. If this is true I wonder what the moving vans at Neverland were about. (If they were real. lol)

Let the speculation begin.:lol:

Michael Jackson News for April 6, 2008:

THE SCENE AND HEARD

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2008/04/06/news/top/1b21cf3f3dd4170d86257423000bd166.txt

Students attempt 'Thriller' record
By Molly Montag Journal staff writer

VERMILLION, S.D. -- Students at the University of South Dakota in Vermillion worked up a sweat this weekend trying to break a world record and raise money for a good cause.

The students -- 123 to be exact -- got their groove on in the Vermillion High School gymnasium to try to break the world record for the largest number of people to successfully complete the steps to Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

Many of them soon came to a stark realization -- Thriller is a really long song. Learning all the steps for the 6-minute song was a challenge, said 20-year-old Jeremy Nebelsick.

"I don't stay focused very well," said Nebelsick, a business finance student from Huron, S.D.

On command, everyone laid down in a circle in the center of the gym. As the beat started thumping, they slowly stood up as the music grew louder.

Soon they were stomping, twisting, snapping, shaking their hips and shimmying to the music.

The world record attempt, which must be verified by the Guinness Book of World Records, was part of the school's annual Dance Marathon festivities.

Dance Marathon raises money for Children's Miracle Network, which funds children's hospitals and research.

Thriller might seem like an obscure record, but several groups recently attempted the record and others are planning attempts later in the year. Multiple groups claim in online postings to have the record, but one of the Vermillion event's organizers, Ben Struyk, 22, said the students were trying to break a 62-person mark set last year in Toronto, Canada.

Before the event, Struyk had confidence USD students would pull through.

"It's kind of on the fly, but I think a lot of people like it," said Struyk, a senior marketing student from Omaha.

Record-breaking is serious business. Students had to find two independent advisers to watch, witnesses and sign in every student who participated. They also planned to videotape and photograph the event.

All the material will be forwarded to Guinness Book of World Record officials.

Although Thriller was for fun, the university's Dance Marathon effort was for a good cause. The event annually raises about $30,000 for Children's Miracle Network. More than $230,000 since its 1997 inception at the Vermillion campus.

USD alumna Becky Evans, who graduated in May, and her family spoke to students before they attempted the record. Evans, as well as her older brother, were both treated at a Children's Hospital of Omaha.

Evans' mother, Jeanette, thanked the students for their efforts, saying her family has seen first-hand the difference money donated to Children's Miracle Network makes at local hospitals.

"We couldn't be more proud of what you do and we couldn't be more grateful," said Jeanette Evans.

http://www.ktiv.com/News/index.php?ID=24191

Students At USD Attempt To Break World Record
DanceForCharity.jpg
While some students were putting their brains to work on Saturday, others on the U-S-D campus practiced some fancy footwork for a good cause, Children's Miracle Network.

This isn't your average fundraiser, a world record is also on the line, and students are having quite the "thriller" trying to beat it.

Start off with some attitude, add a bit of sass, and a whole lot of fun, but these students are pro's and make it seem easier than it is.

Larry kliphel says, "It's hard because it's a Michael Jackson dance so it's not exactly the easiest thing ever."

Alison Eggee says, "It's very unique."

As part of their 24-hour dance marathon over 100 students are attempting to break the Guinness Book of World Records for the most people to dance together to the song Thriller. The current record is 78.

Larry Kliphel says, "We take a lot of pride in our marathon and that's something we really wanted."

Perhaps the best part of the marathon though is helping kids and raising money for Children's Miracle Network.

Alison Eggee says, "We recruit dancers from school throughout the year and ask them to raise $100 a piece."

Larry Kliphel says, "And then that money is delivered out as they need it for food, gas lodging."

So why not have a "thrill" while helping out? These students are.

Larry Kliphel says, "And we just keep people pumped up and incorporate all that into one so it's pretty cool."

So while they may not be simple moves for some, they're making a difference for others.
Last year, Dance Marathon raised more than $38,000 for CMN.

In case you were wondering the U-S-D dancers are on track to hold the record for most people dancing to Thriller. It was previously set by Northwestern University in Evanston Illinois.

http://www.charlotte.com/entertainment/columnists/sarah_aarthun/story/568594.html

25 years later, Jackson still thrilling

SARAH AARTHUN

Dishing It out

Lately, it seems as though you can't avoid hearing the familiar opening chords of Michael Jackson's "Thriller."
On TV, on the radio, on iTunes.
But it's not the '80s anymore -- it's 2008 -- and pop music's biggest-selling album of all time is back in the spotlight this year as we celebrate the 25th anniversary of a cultural icon.

No longer is Michael Jackson the man relevant. In fact, he's become a joke. A favorite punch line of late-night comedians and endless fodder for celebrity gossip bloggers.
But his music is as relevant today as it was 25 years ago.
In the past two months, consider these places where "Thriller" has been referenced:

MTV's "America's Best Dance Crew" dedicated an entire episode to Jackson's videos from the "Thriller" album.
One of the more memorable Super Bowl commercials this year was the SoBe ad where lizards dance to "Thriller" with Naomi Campbell.
An XM radio station was created in March devoted solely to the "Thriller" album.
Jackson's sister Janet couldn't avoid questions about the monumental album while trying to promote her latest effort on "Larry King Live" last month.
Rapper Rick Ross released "Trilla" in March, inspired by Jackson's album.
And perhaps most telling, the music video for "Thriller" was the No. 5 most popular music video on iTunes last week.
Jackson re-released "Thriller" in February with bonus tracks from Akon and Alicia Keys among others -- mere babies when the original, which won eight Grammys, was released.
I myself was still in diapers when the album came out.
But that's the thing about Michael's music -- it transcends generations.
My 20-something friends and I are still the first people on the dance floor when the bass line of "Beat It" comes on at any club.
Looking forward to the 50th anniversary, Michael.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for April 6, 2008:

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/04/06/entertainment/doc47f833148d4f4010469470.txt

Coors did her homework for this role. She watched the movie and countless MTV videos. She talked to her parents about the days of old.

Back then, Michael Jackson thrilled the masses with his moon walk, girls had big hair, Don Johnson was “Miami Vice” cool and jellybeans were Starbucks coffee hot.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/040608/KIR_BG90SCKU.BRW.php

Just what does it take to get a great game around here? You know, something good enough to inspire Michael Jackson to greatness? Or even just a game like Western Kentucky and Drake gave us back in the first round - 200 points, with the winning 3-pointer in the air at the buzzer - but with players headed to the NBA?

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080406/NEWS01/804060379/1006

To keep things interesting for participants, different dance themes are set up throughout the marathon.
Between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. a haunted trail was set up so folks could dance to a theme inspired by Michael Jackson's "Thriller."
For eight years, money from this event has been raised for the Embrace Kids Foundation.

Michael Jackson HIStory for April 6, 2008:

1997 - The Michael Jackson film "Captain EO" had its final show at Disneyland.

2005 - Michael Jackson attended the funeral of Johnnie Cochran Jr. Jackson's former attorney had died March 29th of an inoperable brain tumor

Mello1: Michael can either prolong his 1991' contract with Sony-BMG ME or re-negotiate it or leave to other marketing/distribution company. First two variants are more probable, but we will see.

Wayne Newton´s neighborhood. Not to sound stalking.... but I googled this place and it doest seem to exist!

Wayne Newton´s neighborhood. Not to sound stalking.... but I googled this place and it doest seem to exist!

Wayne Newton is a singer that lives in Las Vegas to clear that up, it's not the name of the neighborhood.

Nevermind. lol I was going to say he has to live somewhere but...is he alive?

Last edited:

Wayne Newton is a singer that lives in Las Vegas to clear that up, it's not the name of the neighborhood.

Ohh Right... That makes a lot more sense. Never hear of the guy. They are saying that MJ lives in the same neighborhood as this guy... got it :)

Ohh Right... That makes a lot more sense. Never hear of the guy. They are saying that MJ lives in the same neighborhood as this guy... got it :)

You are welcome. :)

No longer is Michael Jackson the man relevant. In fact, he's become a joke. A favorite punch line of late-night comedians and endless fodder for celebrity gossip bloggers.
But his music is as relevant today as it was 25 years ago.
In the past two months, consider these places where "Thriller" has been referenced:
... I state if somebody does the same, it is not nearly the same. I've gotten some bad words, when I contributed an item with similar remarks. :wacko:

so according to Norm, Michael is still in Vegas? I wish someone would see Michael coming in and out of a music studio with some producers or something. I think that will at least give the fans some sort of hope that he's working.

Jackson re-released "Thriller" in February with bonus tracks from Akon and Alicia Keys among others -- mere babies when the original, which won eight Grammys, was released.
Alicia Keys?????:huh:

Back