Which are the stereotypes about your country??

Well, there are a lot of people from South America here, so I think there aren't any problems between Italians and Brazilians :)

It must be because in Brazil there are many Italian immigrants.

Brazilians are very welcome, especially if they're good football players and they will play for AC Milan :p

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wild:
kermit.gif

Apparently a bunch of uneducated convicts, who all talk with horribly broad accents and live in the outback with no working electricity or sense of the outside world.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Most of Australia's population resides in the major cities along the East Coast, none of which are even close to the "outback" atmosphere portrayed in films and the media. Yes it gets cold here. Bloody cold, haha! And yes most of us are extremely educated, and do not refer to each other as "mate".

And for Pete's sake, the last time I saw a Kangaroo I was about five hours out from a major city and in the middle of bushland.

i gather some non-americans think all americans are like this....

fat
stupid
loud
obnoxious
love war
wanna take over the world
never read
racist
don't know real humor
can't make scary games or movies
don't know anything about the rest of the world
rednecks/hillbillies
celebrity obsessed
lazy
cowboys
play sissy sports (compared to rugby hahaha..see this one so many times)
extremely patriotic
everybody loves guns

Nah, that's not the stereotype for all Americans. Just the Republicans :p

As for my own country (the Netherlands), some of the stereotypes I often hear are:

- Everyone is into drugs --> Completely false, the Netherlands actually has one of the lowest drug-abuse rates in the Western world.

- Dutch people love to walk around in wooden shoes --> I've lived here all my life and never saw anyone wearing them. It's something of the past.

- Dutch people love cheese --> Well that's true, at least for me :p

- The Netherlands is in danger of 'sinking' any moment, floods are a real danger --> We have a very elaborate delta network for that so there's no real danger. The last major flood is almost 60 years ago.

- The Netherlands is a place where "anything goes", there are hardly any laws --> While the NL is certainly a very tolerant country when it comes to things like divorce, gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia, soft drugs and prostitution, it is actually very strict in other areas and very bureaucratic. There are rules for everything. For example, if I want to take the trash out I can only do it after 10 PM (or risk a hefty fine) and I can only use trash bags of one specific brand that is issued by the municipality. The prison sentences also tend to be longer than in other WE countries, although many people still complain that our justice system isn't strict enough :p

What could I say about Romania?! Another name for the country is Transylvania, we have vampires being led by count Dracula of course, Romanian sounds a lot like Russian (if not, we all speak Russian), the capital of our country is Budapest and we are all gypsies.:eek:

What could I say about Romania?! Another name for the country is Transylvania, we have vampires being led by count Dracula of course, Romanian sounds a lot like Russian (if not, we all speak Russian), the capital of our country is Budapest and we are all gypsies.:eek:

Romanian sounds like Russian? Never heard that one before :p I have some friends who are Romanian and when they speak in their native tongue, they are often confused for Italians. The languages sound very similar imo.

a lot people believe Caribbean people are super happy-go-lucky and spend all day on the beach relaxing eating coconuts :/

Romanian sounds like Russian? Never heard that one before :p I have some friends who are Romanian and when they speak in their native tongue, they are often confused for Italians. The languages sound very similar imo.

Hehe, it sounds nothing like Russian, but some people don't know how Romanian actually sounds like and that's why they believe it sounds like Russian.

That here is always snow and cold and polar bears live here. In reality summer is very warm and there is not a single polar bear in Finland. :)

Not to mention we Canadians never endorse racism and prejuidice. Plus we have greater gun control and also known for having the best coffee/doghnut shop Tim Hortons.

That we're either walking around in top hats, sipping tea, and speaking the Queens English and saying things such as "wotwotwot", "by jove", "poppycock" and "cheerio". Or that we're all cockneys, fresh from sweeping the chimney, walking around with our thumbs in our braces and saying things such as "shine ya shoes guv?" and "applesNpears" whilst giving a stereotypical cheeky cockney wink.Even in England these are the stereotypes given to Londoners, but outside of England it is the whole English stereotype lol.
I love hearing people (foreign or northerners) trying to do a "cockney" accent...sounds more like Australian :p lol

^^ That actually happens in Canada! :rofl:

Not to mention we Canadians never endorse racism and prejuidice. Plus we have greater gun control and also known for having the best coffee/doghnut shop Tim Hortons.

Timmies! :wild: :punk:

a lot people believe Caribbean people are super happy-go-lucky and spend all day on the beach relaxing eating coconuts :/

Sadly yes... Apparently we spend our time on the beach, listening to Bob Marley and drinking rum. We're always late, very slow and quite lazy...

In our country of origin, or the one we currently reside in?

If we go with the latter, we're all drunk pimps. By and large, it is true, with me being the top drunk pimp in the whole nation.

As for my own country (the Netherlands), some of the stereotypes I often hear are:

For example, if I want to take the trash out I can only do it after 10 PM (or risk a hefty fine) and I can only use trash bags of one specific brand that is issued by the municipality.

Never heard of the bold part before :mello:

Apparently, we norwegians also have bears walking along the streets. Polar bears, though! :evil:

Also, we are all really into skiing, loves to talk about the weather, and drink akvavit pretty much all the time.

Furthermore, we are not known to be very polite, and hates to converse with strangers. We are usually seen wearing a "lusekofte", and are easy to spot due to our blonde hair (when we are not wearing a stocking cap). We are all filthy rich, are known for drinking heavily during the weekends, and eates strange food that no one but ourselves find tasty. We all live in small log cabins (alltough our driveways usually have underfloor heating), have ridiculously high prices for pretty much everything, and usually finish last in the Eurovision Song Contest.

I think that sums us up pretty nicely.

Last edited:
I'm Belgian ( Flemish actually)

Some stereotypes

- working hard;
- trying, during our free time, to enjoy life to the fullest;
- having a craving for owning one's home (house or apartment);
- taking care and improving one's home;
- enjoying confort and quality in all things;
- loving pets and treating them as part of one's family;
- Although it may take some time to become one....once a friend, always a friend.
-having a great sense of humour = the ability to laugh about our shortcomings whether
- eat French fries every day and explain to every tourist that it's actually "Belgian fries"
- drink litres of beer every day
- hate the Dutch
- hate the Germans because they started the war (twice!)
- hate the Walloons if he's Flemish
- hate the Flemish if he's Walloon
- eat chocolate and waffles after the French fries
- go on vacation in Benidorm, Spain
- be ashamed of his national football team
- complain about his poor results during the Eurovision song contest
- laugh with the Belgian royal family

I was born&raised, and been living in South Korea.
Well....I checked out this thread before and tried to post something, but nothing came to mind. Don't really know what stereotypes exist about my country.
Yall tell me.

P.S. I've heard some stereotypes about Korean-Americans, tho, not South Korea or Koreans. Happend to pick up some things through some American movies and stand-up shows.

Back