White House issues statement

sunnyday81

Proud Member
White House on Jackson: pop icon, troubled life
12 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — White House press secretary Robert Gibbs says President Barack Obama saw pop star Michael Jackson as a spectacular performer and music icon whose life nonetheless had sad and tragic aspects. Gibbs said Friday that Obama sends his condolences to the late singer's family and fans.

The White House did not issue a statement following Jackson's death on Thursday. Gibbs did not mention Jackson until asked about him at Friday's regular White House briefing.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h8C5uMYJbMspxeVGgNspVBEK0dMAD992H8FO0

This may seem petty or whatever--but, I'm disappointed that there wasn't an official statement and that what was said does that tightrope walking again. I absolutely hate the "high and mighty" attitude when it comes to Michael and this is especially true now.

Very surprised here. Knowing Obama is a huge Stevie Wonder fan, one would assume he was a big Michael Jackson fan. I really expected more from Obama, unless he is still going to say something.

Cop out by Obama. This is ridiculous. I'm sick of politicians trying to make sure they don't alienate voters. This is awful and Obama should know better!

his kids aand wife are/were big fans. crap statment barrack grow some balls

Disappointed. Though right now, his family's pain and mine are those that I feel most, and nothing that anyone will say can make it better, Obama should have said more.

his kids aand wife are/were big fans. crap statment barrack grow some balls

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one thinking this was crappy and not recognizing the scope of this man's achievements. He*l, hate to tell them but all around them aren't squeaky clean without sad and tragic aspects to their lives either.

What the heck was that?

As far as I'm concerned, he could have kept that "statement" to himself. Punk a$$!

I agree. It seemed like Obama was ashamed for having said something nice. And so he had to say something negative to counter it. I'm disappointed.

Last edited:
Obama on Michael Jackson (via Gibbs)

Katie Connolly
Since the tragic news about the passing of pop icon Michael Jackson broke, your Gaggler has been wondering if and when the President would make a statement. It's not unusual for the White House to release such statements after the death of major cultural figures, and Jackson was arguably the biggest pop superstar of the last thirty or more years. And he was black, so it seemed reasonable to expect the first black president to have a few heartfelt words. But of course, dealing with Michael Jackson and his often baffling (and sometimes dark) private life is not that simple. So rather than a formal statement, Press Secretary Gibbs made a few remarks at today's briefing. Here's Gibbs:

“I talked to him about it this morning. Look, he said to me that obviously Michael Jackson was a spectacular performer and a music icon. I think everybody remembers hearing his songs, watching him moonwalk on television during Motown's 25th anniversary. But the president also said, look, he had aspects of his life that were sad and tragic. And his condolences went out to the Jackson family and to the fans that mourned his loss.
When asked why the White House didn't release a formal statement, Gibbs replied, "Because I just said it." Obama has yet to speak to any members of the Jackson family, and it is unclear if he will. He also joked that reporters had been to shy to ask the President about it directly during his press availability with German Chancellor Merkel. He added a dig at those pundits who were annoyed by the staged Huffington Post question on Tuesday saying, "I could have arranged it through a third party."

You know I never cared for obama at the beginning but I was happy later on that he was president. But recently my dad (big Obama fan) was telling me how obama is selling out. So I really don't care...I had obama's number WAY before this pathetic statement. Don't WE all have TRAGIC event in our lives. Wasn't all the WEED you smoked in your day obama TRAGIC. GET OUTTA here with that mess. Why do ppl keep attaching that on to their supposed sorries. How about just saying your heart goes out to his family and shutting up.

I don't even care anymore....Most ppl didn't care 2 penny about michael except what he could bring to there table whether it was money or a little fame. So for so many ppl to come out acting all sad and what not is just bologna. The ppl who really love michael will celebrate him FOREVER. NOT these "im sorry" after your gone michael, so I look good two bit folk who cared less.

Im done with the fake ones!

In life there are only a very FEW ppl who REALLY truely love you...my thing is where where they when michael was going in to cardic arrest. It always seemed like he never really had someone to really love him (except the kids) and was there for him when he need it most. Ugh! So many time I wanted to hug him and make things better for him...and now he's gone. *sigh* I just don't know anymore. I wish he had love ones who were there and could have prevented this tragedy!

GONE TOO SOON is an understatment. I hate this!

I am very disappointed in Obama. He is sitting on the fence and that is disgraceful. There is no reason or excuse for him not personally sending his condolences to the family and simply acknowledging Michael for his talent and contribution to American and worldwide music culture. Acknowledging that during his career he did humanitarian work.

I hate cut & paste statements such as this, where it's so impersonal, you can simply switch a person's name with another.
The man has just PASSED AWAY. If you make a statement, make it a proper one for God's sake!

It might be not Obama himself but all those advisors around him. They wouldn't let him make a clear-cut statement, no way!

If Obama really liked Michael's music (which I am sure he does), he should have said something himself today. This is just a case of a person too afraid to say the wrong thing and have some voters think less of him. Pathetic if that is how he is really playing this. Grow a set.

I don't know what happened. They were saying earlier that Obama was going to address the nation tonight, so I'm not sure whether or not that is still happening. If not, then this is a pathetic display from a man that I admire deeply. He should be less selfish.

It's not like voters are going to remember/care about this in 2012 anyway. Ugh.

I'm surprised he gave a statement at all.

Why? I mean, during the primary season, he and/or Michelle weren't afraid to bring up MJ's name. I recall an interview they had done together, and it was mentioned how the girls enjoyed MJ's music and would often "try" and recreate some of MJ's dance moves.

That was a cute little story. Shoot, if anything he could have just repeated that little story and said "he will be missed." "Michelle & I send our condolences to the entire Jackson family."

End of Story!

Why? I mean, during the primary season, he and/or Michelle weren't afraid to bring up MJ's name. I recall an interview they had done together, and it was mentioned how the girls enjoyed MJ's music and would often "try" and recreate some of MJ's dance moves.

That was a cute little story. Shoot, if anything he could have just repeated that little story and said "he will be missed." "Michelle & I send our condolences to the entire Jackson family."

End of Story!

It wasn't a statement per se, but Michael don't need Obama's words.

Michael has been to the White house - received awards from
2 former Presidents
So I don't see why they did not issue a formal statement

The House Of Representative paused for a moment of silence to
mark his death

By the way, has anyone from AEG made any statements about Michael's death?

They just read a statement from Elizabeth Taylor; it was absolutely beautiful. You can tell that she is hurting.

Amazing that when Jesse Jackson was speaking, they cut him off but allow all the other vultures all the time in the world.

shame on you B O! what a coward you are. I'm lost for words right now but I can't believe he'd be such a disgrace not to release an official statement when its the GREATEST, MOST ACCOMPLISHED ARTIST, HUMANITARIAN AND THE MOST POPULAR PERSON ON THE PLANET we are talking about! Mrs.wife n kids would have been the first to want to have free front row passes for the O2 shows. BTW, I couldn't care less. Michael was so far up and above the earthly human consciousness, he doesn't care for what a Pres has to say about him when he's gone.He didn't care what the world had to say about him when he was here.He is already in our hearts and in the good books of God.

I have been a staunch supporter of President Obama. But this ... this is inexcusable. If he makes any public statement talking about Michael's "tragic, tortured, controversial" life, it is over for me. I am blanking people. Blanking them.

We lost a national treasure and Mr. Obama can't be bothered to issue a proper statement? Wholly inadequate.

in pain it is easy to choose a target to vent on ... he did not have to say anything. The words that were relayed from Obama, were uttered prior to the press conference. He obviously had some thought to mention it at all.

Please let's focus on the positive things... we are in enough pain as a community. It better serves us all celebrate the memories and well wishes that have been issued.

By all means, be hurt, upset and even angry. Let out your pain and work through it but leave room to rejoice in his legacy :flowers:

Back