Who do you think is the most OVERRATED female artist today?

Who do You think is the Most OVERRATED female artist today?

• Total voters
I also think it's Gaga. Gaga has been in the spotlight for the last two years due to her weird costumes and odd behaviour. Yes, she has a decent voice, plays the piano and writes songs. However, her songs are poppy radio disposable songs, not good quality songs. All that fuss over Born this Way, which turned out to be just an ordinary pop song. Britney, well, she's been around for years, And contrary to Gaga, she does not sing at all. Her voice is pretty small, even in the studio. Live, she does not sing, only lipsynchs and it's not due to her dancing moves. It's because she really does not have the voice to sing live. Watch when she tried to perform live with MJ; you can have an idea. Beyonce, does have a good voice. I do not consider her overrated. I think Rhianna is more overrated than Beyonce. Rhianna is more stage appeal. She puts on a good show, but she's not necessarily a great singer. She's more a stage performer than actually a singer.

All I know is that Lady Gaga annoys the... out of me. Don't like Rihanna either, don't like any plasticky 21st century pop stars, Adele pwns them all etc, etc, etc. No honestly, I don't know. I barely listen to any of them.

I would have to say Lady Gaga. I don't see anything new. I see a lot of Madonna and Elton John in her. There is nothing wrong with being inspired but I can't even listen to Born this Way. It sounds too much like Express Yourself. I find like everything she does is just accepted but if someone else did the same thing they would get in trouble. I find a lot of things she does takes away from the music and from whatever message she wants to give. I see someone like Pink do a serious video and you see the story and the message. I see a Gaga video and I just don't get it. I did like when she came out with Just Dance and Poker Face but something changed along the way for me anyways.

Lady Gaga and Cheryl Cole :ranting:
they annoy the :censored: clean out of me!!
Cole cant sing, and as for Gaga...uchhh...state!
People claim shes 'original' with her songs and clothing....i think she looks a complete fool -_-

Lady Gaga, only because the media is so determined to kiss her ass right now, in what I call the "honeymoon period" of pop stardom when everyone loves you, etc., when they know full well that they're really just going to massively kick her ass later on when they find a new thing to glorify and she becomes as old and stale as last Monday's socks. I wouldn't have picked her if it was just the media who was guilty of doing such things--overhyping is kind of their thing: it existed before Gaga, and it will continue after they're done chewing her alive and move on to the next sorry soul, sadly. The thing that bothers me, perhaps because I admire humble talents who let their work do the talking, is the fact that Gaga is so arrogant in her interviews, etc. and she just strikes me as pretentious with all her sorry tales about being "misunderstood," etc. when her music's theme and her own general behaviour are the exact same at the core as anyone else's in pop and celebrity. It's downright hypocritical, really. So, in short, she's the most overhyped because not only is the media overhyping her to heinous extremes, but she's overhyping herself as well, which is never attractive, in my opinion. She sings well, yes, and she can play the piano--but I can name a few artists who kick her ass in both of these things and more, and yet they have more humility than she does. :no:

Others on this list are overrated/overhyped as well, with Rihanna being my second candidate, only because people really seem to be into her at the moment, apparently missing the fact that her live work is mediocre at best, and that her songs have absolutely no meaning to them whatsoever. The fact that people are seriously debating whether or not she's fit to "replace" Beyonce is laughable! I really am getting sick of her whole "bad girl" image, too. There are too many of those in the industry already--does she honestly think that will make her stand out? Not after the Britney Spears/Xtina Aguilera era. The worst thing is that she won't even make it a decent attempt at being a bad girl--at least Gaga has the decency to thinly veil her innuendos--but no, not Rihanna. She just has to blatantly spit it out like it's nobody's business, thus making her look...uncreative and skanky...er?

As for Taylor Swift, I don't like her music much at all, but I like her. She's a wonderful and humble person, very graceful, and very sweet, from what I have observed. She's refreshing because she doesn't have that pretentious air that most mainstream artists have (Gaga and her "different/misunderstood" schtick, Rihanna and her "bad girl" crap, Miley Cyrus and her "rebel" bullscheiße, etc.) and doesn't seem to think too much of herself. Her songs, although lacking in sophistication, are at least clearly sincere and personal--the emotion is there. They're not "dead," like the work of pretty much everyone on this list except Beyonce. Although I can't relate to the whole "teen love" theme behind them, I can appreciate someone who truly writes their heart out and sings it for the world to hear. Moreover, she plays the guitar, so she's multi-talented, even if her vocals leave a bit to be desired.

As for Britney Spears, I honestly don't think anyone is overrating her right now. If anything, they're kicking her ass over her performances, scrutinizing every last little detail about them, it's borderline torture. Seriously. It's downright cruel, the way the media criticizes her sometimes, over stupid stuff like her weight gain/loss, or her dancing. It's almost as if they had no sou...oh, wait. Yeah. They don't. They're bloody sociopaths with no capacity for human empathy, clearly.

This leaves us with...Beyonce. Clearly talented, very beautiful to boot--I honestly think she could do better than what she's done thus far, especially after that disastrous single. Overrated? Yes, and no. On the one hand, I don't think her talent is overrated--she can clearly sing a variety of songs in different styles, even attempting to go back to more classical tunes, which is always admirable. On the other hand, her alleged impact upon music, etc. I think is largely overrated. All that vocal talent and she has yet to do anything halfway relevant with it. It's almost a sin.

Rihanna...But That's Because She Is My Least Favorite One Of The Choices...:happy:

Rihanna...But That's Because She Is My Least Favorite One Of The Choices...:happy:

Lol, fair enough! I tried to be fair in my critiques, though, and not just pick my least favourite. My least favourite, out of everyone on that list, is Rihanna. I don't like her personally, and I think the only songs by her I really like are Umbrella, Pon de Replay and Only Girl, in that order. I also think she has the most annoying and fake personal "transformation" out of everyone on that list (from good girl to absolute skank, putting it frankly), and we're talking about a list which features Lady Gaga, so that's saying a lot... (Gaga and her transparent "I'm different and edgy" crap would be 2nd place, Beyonce, as much as I like her, would be third with the whole Sasha Fierce mess she got into a while ago).

I have at least one song I like out of everyone mentioned, but in my opinion you need more than catchy dance tunes to be an artist, so the majority on that list are currently overrated to varying degrees, with the exception of Britney Spears who more often than not finds herself the target of unfair scrutiny and cruelty by the media. I also looked at each's personality (who's humble, who's full of themselves, you get the idea) and reactions from fans--everyone on this list has deluded fans who think they're god, but for some reason the trait seems more prevalent among Gaga fans. So, a combination of all those aspects and the quality or lack thereof of their material, are the things I took into consideration before making my decision.

I would say that Beyonce is the least overrated female artist today.............her earlier Destiny's Child music from the 90'sis pretty good stuff............

But exactly how many of these are actually artists????...........

An artist has to create something.............otherwise they are just a singer or a vocalist!!!!!

I would say that Beyonce is the least overrated female artist today.............her earlier Destiny's Child music from the 90'sis pretty good stuff............

But exactly how many of these are actually artists????...........

An artist has to create something.............otherwise they are just a singer or a vocalist!!!!!

I agree.

I won't vote unitl I see the name Justin Bieber, he is the most overrated female artist today.

Beyonce can sing, dance, and perform. Her music in general is okay. I'd say out of that list, she and Gaga are the most genuinely talented.

I'd say Gaga 'cos her music isn't really that great. And she seems to compensate it with her "shocking" outfits (which, to me at least, aren't really that 'new' either) etc.
I've got nothing against her, but I really don't think she's amazing.

I agree with all of those mentioned on the first few pages -

1. Beyonce
2. Lady Gaga
3. Taylor Swift
4. Justin Bieber
5. Susan Boyle

Can I throw in...Adele? *hides*

Beyonce does write a lot of her songs, especially in the Destiny's Child era.

Nah, her Dad stole them.

I'd have to say Gaga or Taylor Swift. Nothing about Lady Gaga is special or unique to me. The only thing different about her is that she wears all those crazy outfits, but they should have nothing to do with her artistry. Taylor Swift is so irritating to me, her voice, her songs, everything about her. I think she should just give up dating, so I won't have to listen to her stupid break up songs every time I turn on the radio. (It's cruel, I know)

I like Taylor Swift. I don't find her anywhere near as grating or fake, personality-wise, as Gaga. I agree with others' opinions on here that Gaga's nothing special and certainly not the "misunderstood freak" she likes to present herself as. It gets on my nerves how someone like that can exploit the image some of us had to bear unwillingly for profit. But, I won't go there today.

With that said, I can see how Taylor Swift's music can be irritating. As a matter of fact, it is (well, more a matter of my opinion). As much as I love her as a person, her songs, generally speaking, get on my nerves more than Lady Gaga's, and that's really saying something. Although they're written from the heart, Swift's songs are quickly proving her to be somewhat of a one-trick pony. It seems as though the only thing she can write about is love/breakups. Granted, that's pretty much what most mainstream musicians write about when they're not singing party hymns or expressing their penchant for drugs and alcohol, so that horse was not beaten to death exclusively by Swift.

However, the thread exclusively asks for musicians who have been overrated. Taylor Swift, in my opinion, is not really overrated. Music critics have yet to hail her as the next Tim McGraw or whoever country music fans look to as an idol. She's just a sweet girl with an ok voice and a guitar, decent lyrics considering her age, and an annoying theme. That's all.

Rihanna has similarly failed to be compared to anyone noteworthy, aside from a few insinuations in the past that she might replace Beyonce. However, Beyonce herself holds no iconic status in mainstream music, so the comparison quickly fizzles into the realms of triviality.

The only ones who have been compared to noteworthy and established musical icons are Britney Spears, Beyonce, and Lady Gaga. Although Britney's vocals aren't anything impressive (she can sing well, for the record), her hold over an entire generation of fans and ceaseless appeal across time (ten years later, she's still relevant, right?) make her out to be a force to be reckoned with indeed. She might not exactly be an immortal musical icon like Michael and Madonna, however, she is definitely the icon of an entire generation. Anyone who grew up in the late 90s can fondly remember (although others may not remember so fondly...) how Britney's music, video, and dance defined the latter part of that decade, and the beginning of the next.

Beyonce is the most vocally talented out of all the musicians on this list. She's proven herself to be well-versed in more than just mainstream pop music, although she's also guilty of beating the "girl power" pony to death. From her days with Destiny's Child (Survivor), to her latest, "Girls (Who Run the World)", the whole girl power thing has been a recurrent theme in her music. However, she doesn't suffer as much of a scathing review on my critique due to the dead horse being a worthy one to beat a few more times so the misogynists of the world can finally get the message. It certainly is a preferable "dead horse" theme to the more popular ones: sex, drugs, romance, breakup, upbeat "self-esteem" songs, and pissing x group of people (religious people or parents, usually both) off. Despite her very real talent, Beyonce does tend to be overrated, a memorable example which comes to mind being that one time when someone from some music magazine (I remember this being posted here, although the source is vague, but if anyone really must know this I can edit this and dig it up for you) tried to insinuate her upcoming album would be similar to Michael's Thriller. To my ears, this would mean her next album would be her most over-rated one (HIStory fan here), however, to the general public Thriller is the "best" Michael Jackson album, so saying something would be "reminiscent" of it is crossing dangerous overrating territory. Beyonce herself does not give in to such nonsense, however, so I'm confident in saying she's a pretty humble and agreeable person, from what I've seen of her.

With that said, Gaga is definitely the most overrated person out of this entire list. The media is mostly to blame for this. She's been relevant for only two years, and already the speculations and comparisons to both Michael and Madonna have been made. Music critics and magazines have given her albums stellar reviews, despite them not being anything special, both vocal and lyric-wise. Had they been rating a live performance, I could understand the hype. The woman can most definitely sing, and plays her instrument of choice quite well. However, so can many others, so the fact that she can actually sound decent live does not warrant automatic "icon" status, which is what most of the media seems to want to shove down her (and our) throat(s).

In regards to being prematurely hailed as an icon, Gaga does manage to remain pretty level-headed, once stating she would need to further develop before any such thing could be claimed. However, she's guilty of playing up on other things, such as the "misunderstood" image when she's really nothing of the sort, and capitalizing on media coverage of her trivial gimmicks for profit, which might actually hurt her in the long run, as focus is being deterred from her work. Unsurprisingly, some of her fans actually buy into said image, despite the fact that, pre-Gaga, she would not be seen as anything we might recognize as "Gaga", and looked to all like an average girl (which is what she still is, despite the wigs and make-up). Evidence of this abounds in her songs, especially in her latest album release, and in the fact that she enjoys doing what normal people her age do. Therefore, there is nothing to "misunderstand," and the only people who would dare call her a "freak" are shallow imbeciles who can't look past a person's appearance and see how plain and uninteresting they truly are on the inside. Her fan base is also one of the most annoying fan bases of all. Although not all her fans act in such ways, a significant portion of them seem to be under the delusion that Madonna never existed, and therefore Gaga is totally original, etc. Granted, delusional fans exist within virtually any fan base (I recall one such Beyonce fan claiming she was more relevant than Aretha Franklin! LMAO!), but this seems to occur more often among Gaga fans than any other mainstream musician's fan base, for some reason. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that most of them are young, stupid, and clearly know nothing about mainstream music history beyond the last five years.

As she is overhyped through the media's hand, part of her own fan base, and her own attention-grabbing gimmicks and ridiculous statements, I'd say the conglomeration of overdrive earns Gaga the top place as the most overrated singer out of all the ones mentioned here.

There is a difference between overrated and annoying. Something can be technically good and horrendously overrated, as I believe Gaga is. Had we been debating over who had the most annoying music out of everyone listed here, Rihanna and Taylor Swift would have taken the top two spots on my list, lol. Actually, that order would exactly resemble the order in which you listed them all in your poll, with Rihanna being the most annoying, and Britney Spears being the least annoying. :p

Last edited:
I like Taylor Swift. I don't find her anywhere near as grating or fake, personality-wise, as Gaga. I agree with others' opinions on here that Gaga's nothing special and certainly not the "misunderstood freak" she likes to present herself as. It gets on my nerves how someone like that can exploit the image some of us had to bear unwillingly for profit. But, I won't go there today.

With that said, I can see how Taylor Swift's music can be irritating. As a matter of fact, it is (well, more a matter of my opinion). As much as I love her as a person, her songs, generally speaking, get on my nerves more than Lady Gaga's, and that's really saying something. Although they're written from the heart, Swift's songs are quickly proving her to be somewhat of a one-trick pony. It seems as though the only thing she can write about is love/breakups. Granted, that's pretty much what most mainstream musicians write about when they're not singing party hymns or expressing their penchant for drugs and alcohol, so that horse was not beaten to death exclusively by Swift.

However, the thread exclusively asks for musicians who have been overrated. Taylor Swift, in my opinion, is not really overrated. Music critics have yet to hail her as the next Tim McGraw or whoever country music fans look to as an idol. She's just a sweet girl with an ok voice and a guitar, decent lyrics considering her age, and an annoying theme. That's all.

Rihanna has similarly failed to be compared to anyone noteworthy, aside from a few insinuations in the past that she might replace Beyonce. However, Beyonce herself holds no iconic status in mainstream music, so the comparison quickly fizzles into the realms of triviality.

The only ones who have been compared to noteworthy and established musical icons are Britney Spears, Beyonce, and Lady Gaga. Although Britney's vocals aren't anything impressive (she can sing well, for the record), her hold over an entire generation of fans and ceaseless appeal across time (ten years later, she's still relevant, right?) make her out to be a force to be reckoned with indeed. She might not exactly be an immortal musical icon like Michael and Madonna, however, she is definitely the icon of an entire generation. Anyone who grew up in the late 90s can fondly remember (although others may not remember so fondly...) how Britney's music, video, and dance defined the latter part of that decade, and the beginning of the next.

Beyonce is the most vocally talented out of all the musicians on this list. She's proven herself to be well-versed in more than just mainstream pop music, although she's also guilty of beating the "girl power" pony to death. From her days with Destiny's Child (Survivor), to her latest, "Girls (Who Run the World)", the whole girl power thing has been a recurrent theme in her music. However, she doesn't suffer as much of a scathing review on my critique due to the dead horse being a worthy one to beat a few more times so the misogynists of the world can finally get the message. It certainly is a preferable "dead horse" theme to the more popular ones: sex, drugs, romance, breakup, upbeat "self-esteem" songs, and pissing x group of people (religious people or parents, usually both) off. Despite her very real talent, Beyonce does tend to be overrated, a memorable example which comes to mind being that one time when someone from some music magazine (I remember this being posted here, although the source is vague, but if anyone really must know this I can edit this and dig it up for you) tried to insinuate her upcoming album would be similar to Michael's Thriller. To my ears, this would mean her next album would be her most over-rated one (HIStory fan here), however, to the general public Thriller is the "best" Michael Jackson album, so saying something would be "reminiscent" of it is crossing dangerous overrating territory. Beyonce herself does not give in to such nonsense, however, so I'm confident in saying she's a pretty humble and agreeable person, from what I've seen of her.

With that said, Gaga is definitely the most overrated person out of this entire list. The media is mostly to blame for this. She's been relevant for only two years, and already the speculations and comparisons to both Michael and Madonna have been made. Music critics and magazines have given her albums stellar reviews, despite them not being anything special, both vocal and lyric-wise. Had they been rating a live performance, I could understand the hype. The woman can most definitely sing, and plays her instrument of choice quite well. However, so can many others, so the fact that she can actually sound decent live does not warrant automatic "icon" status, which is what most of the media seems to want to shove down her (and our) throat(s).

In regards to being prematurely hailed as an icon, Gaga does manage to remain pretty level-headed, once stating she would need to further develop before any such thing could be claimed. However, she's guilty of playing up on other things, such as the "misunderstood" image when she's really nothing of the sort, and capitalizing on media coverage of her trivial gimmicks for profit, which might actually hurt her in the long run, as focus is being deterred from her work. Unsurprisingly, some of her fans actually buy into said image, despite the fact that, pre-Gaga, she would not be seen as anything we might recognize as "Gaga", and looked to all like an average girl (which is what she still is, despite the wigs and make-up). Evidence of this abounds in her songs, especially in her latest album release, and in the fact that she enjoys doing what normal people her age do. Therefore, there is nothing to "misunderstand," and the only people who would dare call her a "freak" are shallow imbeciles who can't look past a person's appearance and see how plain and uninteresting they truly are on the inside. Her fan base is also one of the most annoying fan bases of all. Although not all her fans act in such ways, a significant portion of them seem to be under the delusion that Madonna never existed, and therefore Gaga is totally original, etc. Granted, delusional fans exist within virtually any fan base (I recall one such Beyonce fan claiming she was more relevant than Aretha Franklin! LMAO!), but this seems to occur more often among Gaga fans than any other mainstream musician's fan base, for some reason. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that most of them are young, stupid, and clearly know nothing about mainstream music history beyond the last five years.

As she is overhyped through the media's hand, part of her own fan base, and her own attention-grabbing gimmicks and ridiculous statements, I'd say the conglomeration of overdrive earns Gaga the top place as the most overrated singer out of all the ones mentioned here.

There is a difference between overrated and annoying. Something can be technically good and horrendously overrated, as I believe Gaga is. Had we been debating over who had the most annoying music out of everyone listed here, Rihanna and Taylor Swift would have taken the top two spots on my list, lol. Actually, that order would exactly resemble the order in which you listed them all in your poll, with Rihanna being the most annoying, and Britney Spears being the least annoying. :p

Oddly enough, even if I don't agree with your posts, I always enjoy reading them.

Well, I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I say, but I'm glad you like reading them! In regards to music, with the exception of a few things, it's overwhelmingly a matter of opinion, and like a certain part of the human body, we all have them. :p

Oddly enough, even if I don't agree with your posts, I always enjoy reading them.

+ 1 :yes:

@Mikage Souji I can't say I don't agree with you but what I can say is that even I'm not interested in one thread, if you posted there I must go and read.Although you are a lot younger than me, I've learned a lot from you.Thanks :)

Aww, thanks, Claudia!
blush_by_Yoshiko_86.gif

I agree Claudia, they are very entertaining and insightful. Love them.

I can't vote, I think they all are.
In fact, most artists are nowadays. Any high-sellers who are successful simply because their core market is teenagers - and the quality of the music is poor - are overrated in my opinion...

You could ask any of those artists and I'm sure they'll say they don't like/aren't proud of the songs they 'write', since it's all manufactured nowadays. Katy Perry used to be a Christian rock singer before she found where the real money is, and started exploiting her looks in music videos to gain popularity. The industry relies on what sells, and right now it's club/techno heavy material produced by only a handful of the top beatmakers of the genre. It isn't that an artist has 'evolved' from what they did 10 years ago, they make this sort of music to stay relevant. The only reason someone like J-lo has come back onto the scene is because she's molded her new music around what the business can sell. I just want this 'era' of music to be gone and forgotten, and I hope it isn't remembered as one of the best. It's all overrated.

Last edited:
^Although Perry is not on the list, I agree. Despite the sound, it's all recurring in theme and generally just commercial instead of artistic, which is why singles which play well at clubs tend to sell the most. It's not art at all.

I can't vote, I think they all are.
In fact, most artists are nowadays. Any high-sellers who are successful simply because their core market is teenagers - and the quality of the music is poor - are overrated in my opinion...

You could ask any of those artists and I'm sure they'll say they don't like/aren't proud of the songs they 'write', since it's all manufactured nowadays. Katy Perry used to be a Christian rock singer before she found where the real money is, and started exploiting her looks in music videos to gain popularity. The industry relies on what sells, and right now it's club/techno heavy material produced by only a handful of the top beatmakers of the genre. It isn't that an artist has 'evolved' from what they did 10 years ago, they make this sort of music to stay relevant. The only reason someone like J-lo has come back onto the scene is because she's molded her new music around what the business can sell. I just want this 'era' of music to be gone and forgotten, and I hope it isn't remembered as one of the best. It's all overrated.

:agree:

Back