Would fans be interested in an official MJ collectors label?

Would you like a special MJ collectors label?

• Yes

Votes: 176 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters
Zakk;3895695 said:
this idea has been given to the estate by several people in the submission thread, just like bad tour blu ray by mostly everyone i think :p so let's keep hope! i think a video on demand/download payed monthly by fans.. something like Netflix would be best?

I'm kind of old fashioned. I like a physical product with all the trimmings that I can hold in my hand and display.

MIST;3895698 said:
There is an Elvis collector label, how is his legacy doing now?
I think that's something MJestate have to consider.
They want to earn money but also have to think of Michael´s legacy in the future, how his legacy will do after 20, 30, 50 etc years

I'd say it's doing pretty well for a collectors label to still be in existence 36 years after his death :)

It's a classic beyonce serious-to-smile face tho

Plus, why would anyone actually think this is a bad idea? (again, see my detailed old post above)

tumblr_mo5g7yKaSC1ru71hgo2_250.gif

I'd say it's doing pretty well for a collectors label to still be in existence 36 years after his death

Elvis still have fans who were alive when he lived.I suppose they are those who buy from the collectors label, maybe their children, family,friends.But how is his albums selling?Are there many new fans who discover Elvis?
The Cirque the Soleil show with Elvis music didn´t last many years.

I'm kind of old fashioned. I like a physical product with all the trimmings that I can hold in my hand and display.

I'd say it's doing pretty well for a collectors label to still be in existence 36 years after his death :)

very true and i agree, but the reason i said that is because of the vast amount of footage! it would be a lot cheaper for them if it was digital download, and you can multi link files for special features you know ;) haha, also.. forgetting sony vegas? you can create blu rays when they share the hd footage they have :p

MIST;3896644 said:
Elvis still have fans who were alive when he lived.I suppose they are those who buy from the collectors label, maybe their children, family,friends.But how is his albums selling?Are there many new fans who discover Elvis?
The Cirque the Soleil show with Elvis music didn´t last many years.
I was born after Elvis passed, am not a hardcore fan of his (nor are family members or friends), yet I own a few of the FTD collectors label releases. I would say that these releases have made me appreciate Elvis more as an artist. When you get to listen to demos, outtakes and alternative versions, rehearsals, studio footage, etc, you get a much fuller picture of how someone worked and what it was that made them good or great. This is I think especially valuable when it comes to artists (like Elvis) who are surrounded by so much hype (can be both positive or negative) that it tends to shift the focus away from their music. Michael of course would also fall squarely into this category. Collectors label releases would be great because they would allow people to see those sides of Michael that, sadly, have too often been overshadowed by tabloid stories. It could contribute to him getting recognition for things that he is currently not given the credit he deserves for, such as his songrwriting and vocal abilities.

In your post you seem to allude to the fact that Elvis does not sell many records these days (unless I misunderstood your point). Even if that is the case, how would not having a collector's label change that? Its purpose is not to sell massive quantities or to top the charts - this is why they are limited releases. The primary goal is to give people a deeper appreciation of the artist, not to make huge sums of money. It is there to sustain the existing hardcore fanbase and to draw in people with an interest in his music that extends beyond just listening to the normal studio albums. In addition, these releases are historically important: it is good to have this rare material out there so that people can enjoy it for generations to come. In that sense, I think a collector's label can be really effective long-term, as it keeps fans engaged and can only help to strengthen the credibility of the artistic side of the artist.

For a collector's label they could put out the unmastered and audiophile masters of many songs that are not available for the general public (eg the whole UNTOUCHED Work-In-Progress and final mixes from INVINCIBLE before someone tampered with them). They would never put out the stems/multi-tracks for obvious reasons though.
There are thousands of fans who'd love to listen to all the Teddy Riley pre-mixes of songs for Michael's DANGEROUS album, both with (demo) vocals and their instrumental tracks. That would be way better than waiting for a leak from illegal trades between those who bought them from eBay. I had the opportunity to listen to some of them and they are simply amazing.
Then we have many original songs that were only released as a rework, fans would love to listen to the original versions as well (such as "Hollywood Tonight", "Behind The Mask" or "Much Too Soon" as they were originally recorded).

A very good idea, however I don't think it's something they are considering right now. That might be something for the future - when we get older, unfortunately.

For the general releases they cannot use the demos, a collector's label would be a good opportunity.
There are labels that concentrate on movie soundtracks like La-La-Land and their releases have limited pressings, yet these labels are running succesful. For such a collector's label the Estate only has to have someone taking care of the projects that remains faithful to the original work unadulterately and gets in contact with the original contributors of the recordings.

Last edited:
For a collector's label they could put out the unmastered and audiophile masters of many songs that are not available for the general public (eg the whole UNTOUCHED Work-In-Progress and final mixes from INVINCIBLE before someone tampered with them). They would never put out the stems/multi-tracks for obvious reasons though.
There are thousands of fans who'd love to listen to all the Teddy Riley pre-mixes of songs for Michael's DANGEROUS album, both with (demo) vocals and their instrumental tracks. That would be way better than waiting for a leak from illegal trades between those who bought them from eBay. I had the opportunity to listen to some of them and they are simply amazing.
Then we have many original songs that were only released as a rework, fans would love to listen to the original versions as well (such as "Hollywood Tonight", "Behind The Mask" or "Much Too Soon" as they were originally recorded).

A very good idea, however I don't think it's something they are considering right now. That might be something for the future - when we get older, unfortunately.

For the general releases they cannot use the demos, a collector's label would be a good opportunity.
There are labels that concentrate on music soundtracks like La-La-Land and their releases have limited pressings, yet these labels are running succesful. For such a collector's label the Estate only has to have someone taking care of the projects that remains faithful to the original work unadulterately and gets in contact with the original contributors of the recordings.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. However I think demo's can also be put out to the general public if marketed and executed right. See Bob Dylan's Bootleg series for an example of that.

I was born after Elvis passed, am not a hardcore fan of his (nor are family members or friends), yet I own a few of the FTD collectors label releases. I would say that these releases have made me appreciate Elvis more as an artist. When you get to listen to demos, outtakes and alternative versions, rehearsals, studio footage, etc, you get a much fuller picture of how someone worked and what it was that made them good or great.

I think there are many persons who are not hardcore fans who would like to hear demos and outtakes etc.But they don´t know that those demos etc exists.
If more people had a chance to hear it , more people would appreciate Elvis the artist.
I don´t know but maybe then Elvis cirque the soleil show had done much better.

I think Michael´s estate can release packages, one CD with finished songs another one with demos, outtakes,alternative versions of songs.

OMG yes, I would love to see and buy any MJ related material on a collector's label.

Collectors Label releases of alternate short films, concerts, rehearsals would be great.. but it won't happen until after 2017 at least..

yes bring it on estate and especially CONCERTS, I will dedicate a monthly budget for this...

i would pay £2,870 to see the bad world tour released in high def on a collectors label... it's a very significant tour. in addition, every unreleased song that Michael ever recorded, be it incomplete or finished.

Me too Zakk! I'd pay (if I had it) around $10,000 for Bad World Tour concerts to be released in HQ, and all the songs, and demos from The Bad sessions. It'd be SOO worth the money!
I really love this idea, I think $30 USD is a reasonable price for Elvis's material. I think it'd be perfect for Michael! And Sony would make a decent amount from the sales :)

Last edited:
Zakk;4002989 said:
i would pay £2,870 to see the bad world tour released in high def on a collectors label...

Why not pay £2,871 tho

They should make Netflix kind of streaming service for Michael's concerts. That would be awesome! :)

They should make Netflix kind of streaming service for Michael's concerts. That would be awesome! :)

Instead of that, to get rid of the risk of buffering issues, they should create a download portal instead.. that would be far more user friendly and would work best for everyone.

Just an idea I had...

A hardcover photo book dedicated solely to the TWYMMF short film. Hundreds of unseen photo's from on set and perhaps even rehearsals with text consisting of stories of those who worked on the video. There could even be a bonus blu-ray with perhaps a making of feature, outtakes and perhaps even a new alternate edit of the short film. This kind of thing could be done for all of his short films really.

These are the kinds of releases that a collectors label could give us. Something like that would probably never be put out in mass quantities for the general public, but it is perfect for the hardcore fan base and exactly the kind of thing we would lap up.

And that's just one idea.

twymmf_zpsa0eb8f69.jpg

Last edited:
Just an idea I had...

A hardcover photo book dedicated solely to the TWYMMF short film. Hundreds of unseen photo's from on set and perhaps even rehearsals with text consisting of stories of those who worked on the video. There could even be a bonus blu-ray with perhaps a making of feature, outtakes and perhaps even a new alternate edit of the short film. This kind of thing could be done for all of his short films really.

These are the kinds of releases that a collectors label could give us. Something like that would probably never be put out in mass quantities for the general public, but it is perfect for the hardcore fan base and exactly the kind of thing we would lap up.

And that's just one idea.

twymmf_zpsa0eb8f69.jpg

That's a great idea. A Smooth Criminal one would be great as well!

Has the idea of the collectors' label been submitted to the Estate?

I haven't personally, but I'd hope that they've seen the thread.

As some of you may know, there is a collectors label under Sony Music specifically for Elvis Presley releases aimed at the hardcore fan. It's called 'Follow That Dream' (named after an Elvis song). I believe they average around about 8 releases a year and have been active since 1999. Here is a list of all of their releases http://www.elvis.com/ftdreleases/all/default.aspx

As I said, it is a special collectors label aimed at the hardcore Elvis fan, featuring material that may not be deemed "suitable" for mainstream releases on the main label. The releases generally consist of alternate studio takes and outtakes, rehearsals, live recordings, private recordings, special book projects and special editions of classic albums. I believe they usually only sell an average amount of around 5,000 copies per release. For this reason they usually retail for about $30 USD. The sales look low for a general mainstream release, but considering this is exclusively a collectors label focused on a specific artist that has been going strong for 13 years now, they have been very successful. Obviously so if Sony continue to keep the label alive.

I'm wondering if this is something us MJ fans would be interested in for Michael? This way we could get all the untouched demos and live performances we want without stressing about every release appealing to the general public and selling a million copies. We could get a whole album of demo's like Michael's privately taped original songwriting session of "The Girl Is Mine" played at the 1993 court deposition without having to worry about it flopping on the charts and never seeing another MJ release again outside of greatest hits compilations. Or an album full of instrumental demo's that never had vocals put to them or very few vocals. Or multiple shows from the Bad tour, or any other tour on DVD. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Is a label like this something you as an MJ fan would be willing to support and get behind, keeping in mind that the pricing would be slightly higher than that of a general mainstream release? And what other things could you think of that could be provided to us on such releases?

Hiya :hiya: thankyou for this thread :) ....this would be GREAT !!!!!!!! I would certainly buy it all :yes: xx

I really hope this happens and sometime soon. It would be basically christmas for us for the rest of our life with something a new release every month(s). I've seen on Elvis forums how theres even 70 year olds anticipating each release (although the estates scraping the barrel now). With that said, does anyone know why the Beatles don't have a collectors label? I've noticed their posthumous discography is filled with commercial unreleased CDs if they've been successful doing this how can we be sure the MJ estate aren't just going to be doing the same thing?

Qbee if you are reading this did you run this idea past Branca by any chance when you met him at the listening party or Respects anthology idea?

I would so love a collectors label for Michael. At this point, I'd welcome it with open arms. And I don't mean just the regular hug either. I mean that slow, dramatic, Me and the collectors label running towards each other in a field of lily flowers, kind of open arms.

I would so love a collectors label for Michael. At this point, I'd welcome it with open arms. And I don't mean just the regular hug either. I mean that slow, dramatic, Me and the collectors label running towards each other in a field of lily flowers, kind of open arms.

Hiya :hiya: oh I love it !!!!! What a fantastic way of saying it :party: well said :) I totally agree :yes: :heart:

Last edited:
Back