Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

I've never been a fan of JT. I'll wait and see but not exacyly news I wanted to hear but surely lots of people will be excited by this. I like him a lot more than I like Akon anyway....

CherubimII;3992391 said:
Michael Jackson album guests Justin Timberlake, Mary J. Blige
By Richard Johnson/ Page 6

April 30, 2014 | 9:54pm

Modal Trigger

86118547.jpg
Sony Music has announced the May release of previously unreleased music from Michael Jackson comprising the album entitled XSCAPE.Photo: Getty Images

MORE FROM

RICHARD JOHNSON

Justin Timberlake, Questlove, D’Angelo and Mary J. Blige all guest-star on the new Michael Jackson album, “Xscape,” according to Aaron Reid, who did A&R on the posthumous project.
The album, pieced together with unused music from various recording sessions, will be released May 13. The first single, “Love Never Felt So Good,” drops Thursday.
As for where the songs came from, “Michael Jackson didn’t trust anyone with his music. He stopped finishing songs,” said Aaron, “He had a whole bunch of material stored away. He had hooks. He had verses. Then we put it together.”

Aaron is the 24-year-old son of Epic Records mogul L.A. Reid and R&B singer/music manager Perri “Pebbles” Reid (who, as I reported last week, has filed suit against Viacom over the “defamatory” portrayal of her in a 2013 VH1 movie about girl group TLC, who she once represented). For the Jackson album, he worked closely with his father and executive producer Timbaland, and hired StarGate,Jerome “Jroc” Harmon and Rodney Jerkins to produce the eight songs. Guitarist Jesse Johnson, best known as a member of the Time, plays on the album.
Critics say Jackson, who died nearly five years ago, didn’t finish the songs because he didn’t think they were good enough. They say the lawyers running Jackson’s estate are just trying to cash inon his enduring fans.

But Aaron said making the album was “an amazing process. Michael Jackson is my favorite artist of all time. With this project, I got to carry on his legacy and even to contribute to it. There’s nothing like it.”

http://pagesix.com/2014/04/30/michael-jackson-album-guests-justin-timberlake-mary-j-blige/

It's interesting that beside JT they still do say Mary J. Blige, Questlove and D'Angelo are on the album. So what's up with that? Hot Fun will be on it as a hidden track or something?

I've never been a fan of JT. I'll wait and see but not exacyly news I wanted to hear but surely lots of people will be excited by this. I like him a lot more than I like Akon anyway....

Yeah, we have to remind ourselves that MJ himself sometimes worked with weaker artists than JT... Let's not forget those who were on Thriller 25 ruining his classic songs...

I'm actually intrigued how JT will sound on a song like LNFSG because his singing style is different than the style on that song.

I also think he will probably introduce the song at iHeart awards which may create the buzz for it that it needs. Seems like good marketing by Sony/Estate there.

And if this makes Onir finally accept and stop bashing LNFSG, maybe it's worth a try. :cheeky:

It's interesting that beside JT they still do say Mary J. Blige, Questlove and D'Angelo are on the album. So what's up with that? Hot Fun will be on it as a hidden track or something?

I'm very confused too

rumors also said JT for physical CD bonus while Hot Fun in Summertime for Itunes bonus.
Who knows....

JT is in my heart just behind MJ and people who says that JT is decent or whatever, obviously dont know what they talk about.

With regards to JT being part of the iheartradio awardshow and presenting the song, this would only be possible with some kind of prerecorded thing as he is performing in Belgium on the same night.

Is it possible that hot fun and LNFSG remix will be on the album and that is why they said a collection of original versions rather than all the original versions?

Justin Timberlake is at Belgium for his Europe tour. Unless it's a satellite connection and/or prerecorded , I don't see how he can perform. He's also a nominee, that could be why his picture is on the banner.

Maybe there is a music video they will show?

Forgive me for saying this (my first complaint):ph34r: but Dang...this is the first not so good news about this album for me. I'm not a JT fan, I would rather have a new song as a bonus like HOT FUN instead of LNFSG that many times on the album. Even though it's an awesome song....I love the demo, it's a bit of an over kill IMO! =(

I just don't want attention to be taken from MJ. Don't want radio stations playing MJ ft. JT on LNFSG more then MJ singing it alone...get what I mean? Even if it's on the single as a remix it can still happen...and if it is, hopefully it'll be just in the single for LNFSG and not the actual bonus track on the album! =/

I was wondering... maybe they'll put LNFSG remix on the album and Hot Fun on iTunes edition (+ Japanese CD).

Justin Timberlake ****ing slays Beaver! Michael performed with NSYNC on two occasions:-
&

This will be truly enjoyable, there was also a rumor that Timberlake featured on a song with Michael! don't know if it was true though. Looking forward to it, if it is indeed true. But if it isn't, i'll enjoy 'Hot Fun' also..

rumors also said JT for physical CD bonus while Hot Fun in Summertime for Itunes bonus.
Who knows....

Despite the fact that I'm getting it on both iTunes and CD, I hate it when that shit happens and I really don't want that to happen to Xscape.

I don't think that'll happen though... and I hope it doesn't.

They should leave any duet crap for another project (which i would still support) and let MJ shine alone on this one, period!

Justin Timberlake ****ing slays Beaver! Michael performed with NSYNC on two occasions:-
&

So cool - I love the performance of Dancing Machine! And that second video, I just love how NSYNC are performing then BOOM!!! Here comes the King bitches :D

I hope the JT duet remix rumours are true. JT's the man and it'll be good publicity too!

Forgive me for saying this (my first complaint):ph34r: but Dang...this is the first not so good news about this album for me. I'm not a JT fan, I would rather have a new song as a bonus like HOT FUN instead of LNFSG that many times on the album. Even though it's an awesome song....I love the demo, it's a bit of an over kill IMO! =(

I just don't want attention to be taken from MJ. Don't want radio stations playing MJ ft. JT on LNFSG more then MJ singing it alone...get what I mean? Even if it's on the single as a remix it can still happen...and if it is, hopefully it'll be just in the single for LNFSG and not the actual bonus track on the album! =/
Yes yes yes! Not a JT fan either, and with this project I was SO hoping to hear Michael shine! But I've never heard LNFSG and I can't wait to hear the original demo!! Is there like a YT video for it so I can listen to it? But at least the demo will be on the album :) and what I've read Hot Fun will more than likely be on the album!!

AJNDAJDJFWKF, read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L.A Reid's SON has stated that the album features Justin Timberlake, Mary J. Blige, Questlove & D'Angelo!!!!!!!!!! Gonna explode, lol.

''http://nyppagesix.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/86118547.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Justin Timberlake, Questlove, D’Angelo and Mary J. Blige all guest-star on the new Michael Jackson album, “Xscape,” according to Aaron Reid, who did A&R on the posthumous project.
The album, pieced together with unused music from various recording sessions, will be released May 13. The first single, “Love Never Felt So Good,” drops Thursday.
As for where the songs came from, “Michael Jackson didn’t trust anyone with his music. He stopped finishing songs,” said Aaron, “He had a whole bunch of material stored away. He had hooks. He had verses. Then we put it together.”
Aaron is the 24-year-old son of Epic Records mogul L.A. Reid and R&B singer/music manager Perri “Pebbles” Reid (who, as I reported last week, has filed suit against Viacom over the “defamatory” portrayal of her in a 2013 VH1 movie about girl group TLC, who she once represented). For the Jackson album, he worked closely with his father and executive producer Timbaland, and hired StarGate,
Jerome “Jroc” Harmon and Rodney Jerkins to produce the eight songs. Guitarist Jesse Johnson, best known as a member of the Time, plays on the album.
Critics say Jackson, who died nearly five years ago, didn’t finish the songs because he didn’t think they were good enough. They say the lawyers running Jackson’s estate are just trying to cash in
on his enduring fans.
But Aaron said making the album was “an amazing process. Michael Jackson is my favorite artist of all time. With this project, I got to carry on his legacy and even to contribute to it. There’s nothing like it.”

Source: http://pagesix.com/2014/04/30/michael-jackson-album-guests-justin-timberlake-mary-j-blige/

Yes yes yes! Not a JT fan either, and with this project I was SP hoping to hear Michael shine! But I've never heard LNFSG and I can't wait to hear the original demo!! Is there like a YT video for it so I can listen to it? But at least the demo will be on the demo :)

As far as we know, no YouTube videos contain the new version (and I imagine copyright complaints would quickly take it down). The demo's still up there though! I haven't played the demo in full for a few years though and since the song is coming out so soon, I've refused to play it until then :p

I don't get why some people are thinking MJ won't shine on the album if there's an extra singer on 1 of the 17/18* tracks we'll get. It's just a remix, a bonus track. It'll get publicity, sure, but that'll make more people check out Xscape! Could very well introduce some new fans to Michael and, as we could tell by the multiple collaborations he was interested in in his last years, he was very much interested in working with the biggest stars of today :)

*I say 18 in case they give us both the duet and Hot Fun, who knows?

This JT collaboration is good news for me.

It seems The Estate and Sony are going all out to bring Michael's music back to the WHOLE WORLD with this release.

What other deceased artist gets this much promotion, care, and attention?

As a fan of MJ for many years, I am going to enjoy every sweet moment of this Xscape era, and refrain from trying to look for minute flaws. But that's just the kind of person I am. :cheeky:

I feel the same way. He's talented, but I'm not a fan.

Hopefully we'll get Hot Fun also. :)

This JT collaboration is good news for me.

It seems The Estate and Sony are going all out to bring Michael's music back to the WHOLE WORLD with this release.

What other deceased artist gets this much promotion, care, and attention?

As a fan of MJ for many years, I am going to enjoy every sweet moment of this Xscape era, and refrain from trying to look for minute flaws. But that's just the kind of person I am. :cheeky:

Well said!

I completely understand certain fans not being excited for the collaboration because they aren't fans of JT, and I respect it. What I don't understand are certain other complaints.

This version of Love Never Felt So Good is a remix. Nothing more. We are getting a finalized version of the song, as well as the original version Michael himself recorded. Also, let us not forget that Michael himself hired outside vocalists/producers to come in for Thriller 25 and reproduce some of the most famous pop records of all time and do a hell of a lot worse to them, largely because he was afraid the rerelease would not be a success commercially.

If you don't like Justin Timberlake, totally understandable. If you're just mad at another artist coming in and singing on a Michael song, that's a bit ridiculous. Don't like it? It's a bonus track; don't listen to it. Me? I'm thrilled to have a final song with my two all time favorite artists on it.

Yeah, I'm sure the thing MJ did with the Beatles catalog was a very respectful thing.

Which was...? If you mean taking it from Paul McCartney, that's Paul's own fault.

not really happy about the news. if they wanted him to duet with another big star why not choose another unreleased song not on the album already?

Then the complaining would be about ruining a song with a collaborator that we could and should have with MJ alone.

Like, I said I'm no big fan of JT but it's fine to me this way. We have LNFSG solo with MJ alone TWICE (remix+demo), so to have one version as a duet with someone else is OK this way. And it's just a bonus track. Regardless of whether I'm personally a fan of JT or not, he's one of the most popular artists currently, so you can tell the Estate/Sony are doing everything in their power to raise awerness for this album in the general public.
Really, everything they have done with this album so far sounds a lot more promising and impressive and done with a lot more effort than the Michael album.

I'd be pretty freaked out if Justin Bieber was on the album, but JT is OK. He's a lot more respected artist.

Yeah, I'm sure the thing MJ did with the Beatles catalog was a very respectful thing.

What do you mean?

Pretty sure at this point Hot Fun will be an exclusive bonus for the vinyl

I hope it will be a bonus on the iTunes version. I'm getting both the physical CD and the iTunes version (was the plan from day one to me), so it would be good if I could have both bonus tracks that way.

Some fans just see what they want to see. By saying Quest and Mary J that's clearly Hot Fun. How come you'll believe JT being on the album but not the others when it's from the same damn article?!

Some fans just see what they want to see. By saying Quest and Mary J that's clearly Hot Fun. How come you'll believe JT being on the album but not the others when it's from the same damn article?!

Agree. :lol:

If true (really hoping it's not,) why did the Estate have to ruin the excitement putting that douche Timberfake on the album? :angry: If it weren't included on the cd, I wouldn't mind that much but was stealing protagonism to Michael is really necessary? I'd prefer Bruno Mars over that hypocrite because he's shown more genuine respect and love towards Michael.

One question though: How come no reporter who attended the listening previews ever talked about Justin Timberlake being on the first track? Surely somebody would recognise his voice

He isn't on the first track; he's on a remix of it, which wasn't played.

If true (really hoping it's not,) why did the Estate have to ruin the excitement putting that douche Timberfake on the album? :angry: If it weren't included on the cd, I wouldn't mind that much but was stealing protagonism to Michael is really necessary? I'd prefer Bruno Mars over that hypocrite because he's shown more genuine respect and love towards Michael.

...please, for the love of God, don't even suggest that Justin was anything but respectful towards Michael. Michael wasn't even aware of Bruno Mars, and if he was, he never expressed interest with collaborating with him. He did with Justin. Bruno would be a terrible choice.

tommoro is the day!!!!! soooo friggen excited!!!

One question though: How come no reporter who attended the listening previews ever talked about Justin Timberlake being on the first track? Surely somebody would recognise his voice

That's a very good point, no one wrote about it on their reviews. Or weren't they allowed to talk about it? I really, really hope it's just a rumor.

They only played the 8 contemporised tracks. They didn't play any demos or bonus tracks/remixes.

Only the main album (CD 1) was played at listening parties. The bonus track(s) wasn't/weren't. Mary J Blige, Questlove and D'Angelo weren't mentioned in reviews either but there are signs they are on it too. Possibly with Hot Fun in The Summertime as a bonus track. I think the most likely thing is that LNFSG feat. JT will be a bonus on the physical CD, and Hot Fun will be a bonus on the iTunes version.

The whole JT thing isn't officially confirmed at all tho, correct?

So let's just wait and see.

Back