Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

Let's also not start singing their praises yet until they deliver.

Also true. But people need to stop saying "Let's hope they don't screw this up" or "They've f***ed up in the past; they better not do it again". The minute they deliver a single is when we can start judging them fairly. Until then, any negativity is completely unjustified.

We cannot criticize them on particulars regarding this album until we know more. We can criticize them for past actions and base our expectations on these past actions.

But this isn't the Michael album. This is a completely unrelated project that, if recent articles by Damien Shields are to be believed, is looking to be a good album. When Michael was recording a new album from 2006 to 2009, most fans were simply excited to hear new Michael Jackson music. They didn't say, "Well Invincible sucked, so let's hope it's better than that." Of course we all felt that way, but most people weren't concerned about that.

You cannot name one estate of a music legend that hasn't put out god-awful products at least once in their lifespan. MJ fans are torn up only because such products were released substantially early than usual. Let's not hate on them yet.

Also true. But people need to stop saying "Let's hope they don't screw this up" or "They've f***ed up in the past; they better not do it again". The minute they deliver a single is when we can start judging them fairly. Until then, any negativity is completely unjustified.

But this isn't the Michael album. This is a completely unrelated project that, if recent articles by Damien Shields are to be believed, is looking to be a good album. When Michael was recording a new album from 2006 to 2009, most fans were simply excited to hear new Michael Jackson music. They didn't say, "Well Invincible sucked, so let's hope it's better than that." Of course we all felt that way, but most people weren't concerned about that.

You cannot name one estate of a music legend that hasn't put out god-awful products at least once in their lifespan. MJ fans are torn up only because such products were released substantially early than usual. Let's not hate on them yet.

Well, we've discussed this before and I don't think we are going to agree (and that's okay of course). I think the comparison between the Michael album and Invincible is completely invalid. Firstly, most fans didn't think it sucked. But that's besides the point. The key difference is that Michael created Invincible. If you thought it sucked, then the reason you disliked it was that what he wanted to create and release at that point simply didn't appeal to you. That's completely different from disliking something because the people who are now in charge of what Michael left behind decided to release those highly controversial tracks, edited songs in ways that were not true to Michael's vision, etc. You simply cannot compare the two. Secondly, MJ had a proven track record. If you thought Invincible sucked, you had plenty of reasons to think he would release something that you did like again in the future, because of his previous albums (assuming you didn't think everything from Off the Wall upto HIStory sucked too). The only studio album the Estate has given us thus far is Michael. Therefore it is only logical that fans base their expectations of the upcoming album on it.

As for the comparison to other artists' posthumous releases: sure, plenty of crappy collections have been released for other artists too. You know why things improved in some cases? Because fans voiced their displeasure and did not blindly love everything that was fed to them. The moment we stop criticizing when criticism is due, all hope is lost for an improvement in the quality of future releases.

Don't support or dislike the Estate as much as some of you want but this a complete new project and the bloody Michael album is totally irrelevant for this thread. We don't forget, neither forgive but those complains are out of place here and it's a pain in the ass some of come up with that album or those disgusting tracks whenever a new project will be released knowing they've done things right after that catastrophic mistake.

Last edited:

Well, we've discussed this before and I don't think we are going to agree (and that's okay of course). I think the comparison between the Michael album and Invincible is completely invalid. Firstly, most fans didn't think it sucked. But that's besides the point. The key difference is that Michael created Invincible. If you thought it sucked, then the reason you disliked it was that what he wanted to create and release at that point simply didn't appeal to you. That's completely different from disliking something because the people who are now in charge of what Michael left behind decided to release those highly controversial tracks, edited songs in ways that were not true to Michael's vision, etc. You simply cannot compare the two. Secondly, MJ had a proven track record. If you thought Invincible sucked, you had plenty of reasons to think he would release something that you did like again in the future, because of his previous albums (assuming you didn't think everything from Off the Wall upto HIStory sucked too). The only studio album the Estate has given us thus far is Michael. Therefore it is only logical that fans base their expectations of the upcoming album on it.

As for the comparison to other artists' posthumous releases: sure, plenty of crappy collections have been released for other artists too. You know why things improved in some cases? Because fans voiced their displeasure and did not blindly love everything that was fed to them. The moment we stop criticizing when criticism is due, all hope is lost for an improvement in the quality of future releases.

Of course. Differences in opinion is what keeps this forum thriving. :)

To begin, I would like to offer my opinion that the reason the estate is often considered to be doing so terribly is because expectations are much, much too high. It isn't wrong to expect greatness from the estate, but it is wrong to expect perfection. The estate releases reproduced songs, fans get angry and say Michael wouldn't have wanted them presented in such a manner. The estate plans to release untouched songs, fans get angry and say Michael wouldn't have released his unfinished recordings to the world. (And yes, I've actually read comments that have said that.) We cannot forget that (a) the estate isn't in possession of everything we want, and in which case they need to spread out their releases as much as humanly possible so the vault doesn't dry up; and (b) Michael is dead. We aren't dealing with him right now. With that in mind, we cannot expect each release to follow Michael's creative vision 100%. We can hope that it gets as close as humanly possible, but if you review each release from now until the end of time, there will be aspects that fans will feel wouldn't have appeared if Michael had spearheaded the project.

Yes, Michael did have a proven track record, which is why one would believe that his next album would indeed be impressive. But the estate does too. This Is It, Vision, Bad 25, the Cirque du Soleil agreements/soundtrack... these are all good projects. Not amazing, but very good. And yes, complaints can be made about all of these, but most of them are nitpicking and barely reflect the quality of the project itself. Being that Michael is the ONLY studio album released by the estate I will acknowledge that it can be worrisome. But being that there have been several other impressive projects that have dropped since then, it isn't fair that we bash them repeatedly. They CAN do good.

Yes, giving criticism where it is due is always necessary. But so is giving credit. I see people consistently slamming Bad 25 because they are simply unhappy with the number of tracks included + the Wembley concert (which all connect to my [a] and posts in the first paragraph) without giving ANY credit. That isn't right. When you screw up, you deserve criticism, but they also deserve a pat on the back for what they did right. Sure, Bad 25 wasn't perfect. But we got six unbelievable songs, a great quality live CD and a phenomenal live DVD of what many feel is Michael's BEST performance, not counting the great packaging. But some fans will do all but acknowledge that, only deciding to focus on what the package DIDN'T give us.

To summarize, yell at the estate when you need to, but when they do something right, give them credit. I'm not directing this at ALL fans; many of us do applaud them when necessary. But some don't, and it's those people that start conversations like this.

swaggy.png

What a cover that would be. So Michael, yet it's not over the top. Proves the iconic image I think.

I really like the Michael cover art.

you know when they said it will be something along the lines "Then, now, and forever"... when something along those lines were used.. It is slightly possible they could be making a... History book II.. I mean think about it, "Then, Now, Forever.." similar to.. "Past, Present & Future.."

Just a thought, not spreading rumors lol

^That would be interesting. Until officially something is said I am not thinking about it too much. I hope it will happen.

you know when they said it will be something along the lines "Then, now, and forever"... when something along those lines were used.. It is slightly possible they could be making a... History book II.. I mean think about it, "Then, Now, Forever.." similar to.. "Past, Present & Future.."

Just a thought, not spreading rumors lol

Possibly! I hope if they do this they don't have a Disc 1 featuring more 'greatest hits' though (even if the greatest hits weren't on Book I's Disc 1). The last thing we need is another greatest hits compilation.

Of course, by 'past' they could mean songs left untouched since Michael last worked on them or original demos as they are songs from the past, whereas the updated, more modern-sounding versions of the songs are 'now'. Hopefully it's that. I'd love that :)

jus heard the full version of APWNN (thanks to those talking bout it being leaked the past couple days..and YouTube)...

...and it's simple but incredible!!! off to force everyone I kno to listen to it!

No, not another greatest hits album attached to this please! It wasn't a great idea with HIStory either, only made the album more expensive. And since then there are a billion MJ greatest hits albums out there on the market. The last thing we need is another one.

No, not another greatest hits album attached to this please! It wasn't a great idea with HIStory either, only made the album more expensive. And since then there are a billion MJ greatest hits albums out there on the market. The last thing we need is another one.

Exactly! Although I think the compilation on HIStory was alright (it was what actually got me hooked on MJ actually), same with Number Ones and The Essentials. The other ones are unnecessary though. There's at least 6 greatest hits/compilations I can think of and we certainly don't need no more.

I think a lot of people need a wake up call. I strongly believe Michael Jackson would not want any unreleased tracks coming out post-death. It's absurd. Michael Jackson was a perfectionist till the day he died, he never did things half-hearted, he edited his OWN tracks, he handled his OWN tracks, he over-saw the music for his OWN tracks... The estate and fans just want more and more and more from him, and for that you should be ashamed. I've done it, I bought that Michael album, I'm ashamed of myself for it. Estate, Stop cashing in on his name... stop wanting more from him... he has given you his life, !!! stop trying to keep him alive for your own selfishness... grasping and hoping for new material as if he were alive. Honestly, think about what he would of wanted for heavens sakes... it isn't this. This is the heart breaking thing about Michael Jackson he was too damn good for this earth, friends/family/the fans think they know what is right for him. Really think about his wishes, hang up your MJ desperado capes and remember & celebrate everything HE released, personally, Which music wise is over 1,000 tracks... I think that's plenty of music for yours ears.

Anyone who thinks that the GH on HIStory shouldn't have been there is moronic. The disc one of that album fit the image of it completely. Past, Present and Future, with no past? It fit the idea of the album, yes everyone skipped it, but it fit the idea of that album. It wasn't just a way of making it more expensive at all, it made the image of the album. This was MJ before, and this is now. It worked.

Anyone who thinks that the GH on HIStory shouldn't have been there is moronic. The disc one of that album fit the image of it completely. Past, Present and Future, with no past? It fit the idea of the album, yes everyone skipped it, but it fit the idea of that album. It wasn't just a way of making it more expensive at all, it made the image of the album. This was MJ before, and this is now. It worked.

You can express an opinion without insulting those who have a different opinion.

then & now seem to be original and newly mixed to me, i'm looking forward to an official announcement. i just hope it comes soon and not a month before the release, haha.

I think a lot of people need a wake up call. I strongly believe Michael Jackson would not want any unreleased tracks coming out post-death. It's absurd. Michael Jackson was a perfectionist till the day he died, he never did things half-hearted, he edited his OWN tracks, he handled his OWN tracks, he over-saw the music for his OWN tracks... The estate and fans just want more and more and more from him, and for that you should be ashamed. I've done it, I bought that Michael album, I'm ashamed of myself for it. Estate, Stop cashing in on his name... stop wanting more from him... he has given you his life, !!! stop trying to keep him alive for your own selfishness... grasping and hoping for new material as if he were alive. Honestly, think about what he would of wanted for heavens sakes... it isn't this. This is the heart breaking thing about Michael Jackson he was too damn good for this earth, friends/family/the fans think they know what is right for him. Really think about his wishes, hang up your MJ desperado capes and remember & celebrate everything HE released, personally, Which music wise is over 1,000 tracks... I think that's plenty of music for yours ears.

Oh come on, Michael wasn't an idiot. He knows that once he would die many of his unreleased tracks would be released posthumously. It's happened to every artist before him - Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, Notorious B.I.G. and he isn't exempt (hell he even used Biggie's music posthumously himself!). I don't think he was against the idea of releasing demos seeing that he released multiple demos in his life time. Look at the 2004 Ultimate Collection, that contained a large number of demos on it.

"But he only did that to get Sony off his back and to finish his contract!" you might say.

Very well then, but what about the special edition's of Off the Wall and Thriller where home demos from each were included on their disc? Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Workin' Day and Night', Billie Jean... I'm pretty sure he wasn't forced to include those on there. I don't think he's so much against releasing demos to be honest.

Ok so what about unreleased songs then? Well, Michael has expressed in the past how he loves that music has brought joy to people around the world and honestly, I think that was his ultimate goal when he produced music. To bring joy and happiness to those who heard it. No, any more unreleased music will not be '100% perfect' but that's to be expected... and I think Michael would expect and understand that too.

I'm sure he would expect a degree of perfection however and that standard was obviously not met with the Michael album, but it definitely appears that the Estate have learnt their lesson and that this time, they are taking their time in order to make it more perfect. Besides, no one - who thinks rationally - is expecting any posthumously released material to be perfect.

I don't think wanting some more unreleased tracks from Michael is selfish at all. I would consider it selfish to demand the Estate release EVERYTHING, yes, but I think most fans just want them to release the material that is at least somewhat decent (of which a number of tracks at that quality exist). Thinking about what Michael wanted, it's evident that Michael was keen to get back into releasing music again and release more tracks to the fans and while it may not be perfect, we are still somewhat fulfilling what was probably one of the biggest dream's he had when he passed away.

Last edited:

There is no HIStory without disc one it makes the title redundant i feel the GH half makes the album what it is

Wow. So what do you propose happens to this unreleased music? Get it deleted off the face of the earth and waste it?

this is the kind of attitude that completely disregards all the hard work Michael put into each of his recording's. he recorded many song's throughout his life that he did not release due to not being in flow with the rest of the album. Michael chose the song's he wanted in the tracklist, doesn't mean he didn't like the other song's he recorded. he worked years on a place with no name, did he do that for nothing? he worked a long time on 'she was loving me' & i am a (was the) loser, he later decided he wanted that released on a future album, shown in his notes that leaked online. Each of his recording's are precious & if you listen to them with depth and affection, you realize the conviction and details he expressed through his talent. No other artist worked as hard as Michael, and his recording's should be loved and released for many years to come.

Geez. Have a rough night? Why on earth are you on this discussion if your against it? I don't agree with you he new stuff would be released when he passed away. I personally think he over recorded for the reason to be realease one day. Enjoy what we get I'm thankful we she get something. Don't buy it don't listen to it. Something tells me you will have it the day it's released. We all will! Peace

You can express an opinion without insulting those who have a different opinion.

Can you? I had no idea. But I mean that it is simply stupid to say HIStory only had a GH on it to make it more expensive. The whole idea wasn't for that at all.

Can you? I had no idea. But I mean that it is simply stupid to say HIStory only had a GH on it to make it more expensive. The whole idea wasn't for that at all.

Nobody said the GH were put on there in order to make the album more expensive. All he said was, the fact that it was two discs meant that the price inevitably went up.

The whole "past, present and future" idea was manufactured to accommodate the GH. The fact is, HIStory would have been a FAR better album if it had just been the second disc and he had replaced Come Together with Morphine. The GH were just stuck on because of a fear of a backlash after the allegations in '93.

Nobody said the GH were put on there in order to make the album more expensive. All he said was, the fact that it was two discs meant that the price inevitably went up.

The whole "past, present and future" idea was manufactured to accommodate the GH. The fact is, HIStory would have been a FAR better album if it had just been the second disc and he had replaced Come Together with Morphine. The GH were just stuck on because of a fear of a backlash after the allegations in '93.

So they put the GH on there to sell the album? You think they were scared it wouldn't sell? I'm not sure if you were around in 95, but the promotion was absolutely massive. They wouldn't put the money they put into that if they thought it would barely sell. It's absurd to say they needed GH to sell that album. Some of Michael's greatest hits come from disc 2 nowadays!

'Keeping him alive for our own selfishness.'? I apologize..I didn't know buying one of his albums or getting excited for it was being selfish. -_- We want more and more from him? What are you talking about? You say that like we're always coming to Michael with some big time demands.

Really think about his wishes? Well, if my memory serves me correctly, Michael wanted to keep releasing music and bring joy to the fans..

Last edited:

So they put the GH on there to sell the album? You think they were scared it wouldn't sell? I'm not sure if you were around in 95, but the promotion was absolutely massive. They wouldn't put the money they put into that if they thought it would barely sell. It's absurd to say they needed GH to sell that album. Some of Michael's greatest hits come from disc 2 nowadays!

I didn't say the album wouldn't sell without the greatest hits. I said that's how Sony felt. And if YOU were around in 95 you'd know that. Please read my post before quoting me next time.

Firstly, Michael didn't release over 1,000 tracks. At least during his solo career. From Off the Wall in 1979 to his death, Michael certified the release of approximately 100 songs, if I didn't forget anything. Secondly, I won't respond to this because everyone else already has. I don't mean to insult you but wanting to hear unreleased Michael Jackson music does not make you any less of a fan.

Back