Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

You need a facebook banner?

i made one, so use it :D
MJ-xscape_promo-140401.jpg
Can you add date of premiere? I love it :D

I am so exited about the bonus track.

I hope it is something all new - like WMCIG solo. - HT demo would be a little disappointing, but still it would be ok. - most people have never heard that demo. - Still I hope the demo is a finished track too !!

Yes, but the public made BOTDF the best selling remix album of all time.

And this was in the nineties. Imagine that.

correct, but it was the original versions albums that was the big sellers. not the remix albums.

I wanted to pick up on a few things...

I agree somewhat with Always There regarding the disappointment in the length and the lack of truly new material. I think it's a bit unfair to jump on people and start throwing things around like 'disgusting' simply because you have a negative opinion to express. I'm not remotely surprised as this always happens on here, but this isn't a love-fest. We're here to discuss all, for good and for bad. It's tedious reading the whining posts but I must say I'm used to it.

I think it was Always There that said it, that when the Estate were putting this together they needed to be thinking about the number of tracks that leaked. Sure people didn't have to download, but most did. We as MJ fans basically live in a constant state of music famine. We can't be blamed for being desperate to hear anything new and I do think the argument of Sony not securing the material the way they should have is valid. It also irks me that people are throwing the word 'illegal' around so readily. Many of those people would have downloaded them too, and this forum provided us the means to get at them and share them. If I was given any kind of assurance that the songs would be released at some stage that wasn't a century away and would be released untampered without questionable vocals on then maybe I would've waited. But my relationship with the Estate has already broken down anyway. Sure I'm still gonna support this release (unlike Michael) and I can't be too annoyed about the lack of truly unheard material, but I can still be disappointed and still think twice about parting with money for it (I will be, don't worry). Releases like this come along once in a blue moon, that's why it feels so important that we get the most out of it. God knows we'll spend the next 5 years being drip fed leaks before the Estate essentially collects them together and releases them lol.

This 8 tracks business is evidence of the lack of stuff in the known vault, and to me further evidence that they've known this for some time and the reason what happened in 2010 happened. wink wink

Someone mentioned the profiteering off a dead person, which occurred to me too - 8 tracks makes no apologies for that unfortunately.

Someone else talked about it being a business deal and people need to make money. I submit there's a disadvantage in only putting on 8 songs. It's not the norm. A casual buyer might look at that and think, 'only 8 songs? actually that doesn't seem worth it.' When they could get another artist who they also like and note that to be twice the length for the same or less money. I know this isnt the single major factor in people buying albums but it covers SOME of those people, certainly.

Finally, I saw some people annoyed that the songs had been touched at all. I have no problem with this given they're releasing the originals untouched too. I like the idea of having these songs finished. It's nice to have a bit of fantasy, a what could have been scenario. It isn't Michael, but it's the next best thing.

I LOVE IT !! - Thanks very much. - One thing though - can you move the Pre-Order New Album now! up? - It is right were the name is on facebook, so you can't read it!

But thanks very much - like it a lot!!

Sure!
Try this one:
MJ-xscape_promo-140401-2.jpg

You and some others! Not "most" others. Big difference.

no no, that was not a typing errror. like i said most people have a different opinion.

I am so exited about the bonus track.

I hope it is something all new - like WMCIG solo. - HT demo would be a little disappointing, but still it would be ok. - most people have never heard that demo. - Still I hope the demo is a finished track too !!

I doubt that there'll be a bonus track. It's more likely that track #9 will be some kind of interlude to seperate the "new" mixes from the original versions (just think of "Vincent Price" on T25)

from wikipedia:

Track listing[edit]

The standard edition of the album contains 8 tracks of "contemporized" songs while the deluxe edition contains an extra CD with the songs in their original form.[1] The iTunes deluxe edition contains two videos.[5]
1."Xscape"
2."Slave to the Rhythm"
3."Blue Gangsta"
4."A Place With No Name"
5."Love Never Felt So Good"
6."Do You Know Where Your Children Are"
7."She Was Lovin' Me"
8."Chicago"
9."May Be We Can Do It" (Bonus Track)
10."Stop The War" (Bonus Track)

I always wanted to hear "Maybe we can do it". That would be a dream come true. But I doubt that they would give us two bonus tracks on the deluxe edition. Because instead include these on the deluxe editions, they could use them for an other projects like Invincible anniversary or an other new album. But it would be awesome if this tracklist going to be happen.

Last edited:

There's one thing I don't understand... We now know that there's no Michael Prince / Brad Buxer song on the album. Furthermore, MP stated the Estate didn't contact him for the album.

So what was he doing the last year? What's up with him, Brad Buxer and Bruce Swedien in the studio? All his hard discs "spinning and humming", discovering gems, doing this "secret project"?

I think they wanted to sort through all the material, archive it properly and tie up the loose ends in the songs to complete them how Michael would have (using the same sound libraries, using his ideas). Whether it was in hopes they would end up on this album ("Xscape") or will be used 20 years down the line by Michael's children.

We have to remember these Michael Prince/Buxer songs are a different story than what ended up on the album "Xscape". The new album mostly has songs written by outside songwriters, sometimes co-written by Michael. His involvement would mostly be limited to coming in to sing the vocals, overseeing the production.

The MP/Buxer songs are all songs Michael conceived from the first note to the last lyric. All of them. And he worked on some of them for good 15 years. These songs mattered and were important to him like none other.

Bruce, Brad and MP must be acutely aware that with each day their recollections of what Michael wanted to do with these songs are getting blurry, and, especially one of them -- Bruce --, are getting older and might not be here to see through his vision. Input of every one of them is relevant and adds to the whole. The songs Michael produced, wrote and composed by himself sound the way they do because of the input of these three people. Buxer might have worked out the arrangement with Michael, Michael Prince knows how the vocal should sound, and Bruce Swedien could mix the songs the way Michael would have wanted them to sound.

So I believe they've done this thinking these songs may end up released soon on the Epic Records project they must have known was in the works, but since they are not -- maybe these guys will release them independently or hold on to them for the next 10-20 years, for Michael's kids.

There's one thing I don't understand... We now know that there's no Michael Prince / Brad Buxer song on the album. Furthermore, MP stated the Estate didn't contact him for the album.

So what was he doing the last year? What's up with him, Brad Buxer and Bruce Swedien in the studio? All his hard discs "spinning and humming", discovering gems, doing this "secret project"?

this is true! does anyone have any explanation for this? could somebody contact damien shields if he knows what these producers are up to?

also where is the evidence she was lovin me is on this album?

I keep reading on here as I have scoured my way through the thread that there is a theme of people not exactly jumping for joy about the track: Love Never Felt So Good - Why is this? I am not too familiar with it myself so I am reserving judgment.

You cannot compare this to his studio albums. Michael is not here to finish his songs. Frankly, I don't even know what you are arguing about. Everyone gets what they want: the demos will be released too.

and that is why you dont know that we dont talk about michael finishing songs,...

So the album will start slow, with two ballads then end on a high with the dance tracks.
I don't know much about She Was Loving Me, but it seems that LNFSG has been worked into a mid tempo throwback disco-ish kind of song. It's not really a slow song when you listen to the demo, but I can see how the sparse piano backing could be deceptive into giving off a ballad vibe.

I don't know much about She Was Loving Me, but it seems that LNFSG has been worked into a mid tempo throwback disco-ish kind of song. It's not really a slow song when you listen to the demo, but I can see how the sparse piano backing could be deceptive into giving off a ballad vibe.

To be honest, i;m very excited about LNFSG. Ive always liked the song, his vocals are amazing and the possibilities are endless with what way it could go. I bet a lot of fans will be surprised at how different it will be.

also where is the evidence she was lovin me is on this album?
Damien wrote yesterday that Cory Rooney had received confirmation that his song made it onto the album.

17 song's on the deluxe edition and 2 video's on a seperate dvd.. what will be the bonus track? it could be anything.. very excited to see the tracklist revealed! i prefer the deluxe cover over the standard cover too! gold suits it more

With the pre-order over gold, does this mean the physical copy will be that sort of lenticular effect where it moves from silver to gold? That'd explain the small differences in Michael's hair to the cover shown on GMA possibly.

Im not sure if I can discuss leaked but unreleased songs thats not on Xscape- anyways so we are left with:

Hot street
If you dont love me
Nite Line

Just 3 (Im probably missin out 1 or 2 more like trouble but we dont knw if there is hq vocals for that track), thats a definite indication that the material available is limited. Especially considering that a ordinary demo like LNFSG is getting a make over.

Btw, anyone have any knowledge on "I have this Dream"? for some reason most of us believed that, that track n Man in Black was completed by MJ.

Hoping that the bonus track is "WMCIG" Solo...

Also, i think songs like "If you dont love me", Shout, Cheater, Scared of the moon..etc cud be re-done for a compilation album in the near future.

Thats great for you. I did not say that its always like that. But in most cases it is.
Most fans, at least, also want the demo version and would not appreciate it if they only release the remastered one.

I would say it 50-50. Not most cases. Maybe most cases here on MJJC.

I also want the demos/original versions. Those versions are essential for any release in my opinion. I was saying that since 2010. Every song that can be and is finished has to be released in the original form too. That is a must. BUT this time we are getting it all: original versions and new album versions. So I don't understand why all the Timbaland hate and comparing it to BOTDF or Bad/Thriller 25 remixes, also promoting of piracy by some members, calling it "crap" when it isn't.... And all that after hearing 1:30 min of one track and 15 sec of the other.

I just want the track-listing and to see what the hell these two videos are. I'm stoked.

I'm looking forward to getting the original versions. 8 Michael Jackson songs, count me in!

I have barely listened to Xscape in the last 12 years, because the leak was terrible quality. Same goes for A Place Without No Name. So to be able to get these songs sounding proper is great.

As to the other material, I'm mostly excited for She Was Loving Me. Wanted to hear that one ever since I heard Rooney worked with Michael, which was before Invincible even came out!

Yes, I have my reservations about this whole thing, but I won't get into that.
For what it is, it shapes up to be a nice project all in all. I take it for what it is, a chance to get 8 legit demos in good sound quality. Don't really care about the rest.

The second song – possibly called Chicago and cited by Timbaland as a future single – falls into the former camp, with Jackson utilizing a harder vocal delivery that's encased in a big industrial melange of jackhammer beats.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/apr/01/first-listen-michael-jackson-xscape

First listen: Michael Jackson's Xscape

When Michael Jackson released his 1995 double album, HIStory, he promoted it by sailing a 10-metre tall statue of himself through London, down the Thames. The statement was clear: Michael Jackson was back and as brilliantly OTT as ever. Fast forward 19 years and Michael Jackson is, well, dead, and the record industry doesn't have the money to spunk on big floating effigies anymore. But there's still an air of wonder and mystery about a "new" Michael Jackson album, despite 2011's first posthumous release, Michael, being an unmitigated disaster. Unfortunately, pop music in 2014 doesn't wait for massive proclamations and grand gestures; news leaks on Twitter before you can say "major label cash in".

Last week a number of journalists received an email inviting them to a playback for a mysterious new album. The only information included was the location – a ridiculously swanky hotel in Knightsbridge – the time (6pm) and the words "The Best You've Never Heard". That was it. Writers then had to ring the PR to find out who it was, with no confirmation taking place via email in case someone decided to hack in and leak it all on Twitter. Which, unfortunately, is sort of what happened, when Epic – Jackson's label – decided to announce news of a new Jackson album early, with dribs and drabs of information starting to emerge on Twitter, before a full press release was sent out yesterday lunchtime. Hardly pushing a massive barge down a river, but what can you do in straitened times?

So what do we know? We know the album is called Xscape, named after a Rodney Jerkins-produced song recorded during the sessions for Jackson's last proper album, Invincible, and now reworked by Jerkins for the new album. We know the lead producer on the album, brought in by Epic Records CEO LA Reid to "contemporise" songs from Jackson's vast song archive, is Timbaland and that other producers involved include Stargate, Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon and John McClain.

What we still can't tell you are any of the song titles, with the journalists gathered in the hotel's white 80s sci-fi nightclub nightmare of a function room told the song titles won't be shared and can't be mentioned because they're still being finalised (if I could hazard a guess I'd say they're keeping the song titles back because a lot of the songs have leaked already and it's not as exciting to hear the words "eight new Michael Jackson songs" if you can easily find demos for them online). All phones have to be handed in on the door, while this poor frontline journalist had to fight it out with two security guards to be able to carry in a bag containing a laptop I didn't really want dumped at the back of a cupboard (in the end I had to take the laptop out of the bag to show that it wasn't rigged with some sort of special recording device.)

Once inside the chatting throng are greeted by pictures of Jackson on the wall, as well as the "teaser" poster that was included in the invitation, alongside one that reads "Hearing Is Believing" (apparently these posters have already started appearing around London to help generate intrigue). After opening the whole event somewhat crassly with an advert for a new Sony mobile phone – which will be pre-loaded with the album – the MD of Sony UK tells us that in order to show off the mobile phone's excellent sound quality the album will be played through a phone over the speakers. Given that we've all just had our own phones taken off us, everyone assumes he's joking, but he's not; the first ever play anywhere in the world of a Timbaland-curated Michael Jackson album takes place through a mobile phone. Unfortunately it sounds like it as well – with nearly all of the songs lost amidst reverberating bass and too-high drum claps.

Despite the failing sound there's enough on show to categorically say, without question, that Xscape is leagues ahead of Michael, an album marred not only by the appearance of Akon but by accusations that some of the songs featured a Michael Jackson impersonator. Opening with a burst of disco-tinged soul, it's an album that seems to focus on songs from pre-90s Jackson, with the first song a light and airy take on the effortless Off the Wall era. With a youthful-sounding Jackson skipping in-between expensive-sounding production, it's reminiscent, somewhat ironically, of Justin Timberlake, especially his The 20/20 Experience double album. In fact, a lot of the Timbaland productions slip neatly into either Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSounds-era – all squelchy beats, big drum claps and lashings of synth strings – or the more opulent sound of The 20/20 Experience. The second song – possibly called Chicago and cited by Timbaland as a future single – falls into the former camp, with Jackson utilising a harder vocal delivery that's encased in a big industrial melange of jackhammer beats.

While the album's stated purpose of making Jackson sound contemporary is followed to the letter, there are times when the production overwhelms songs that are perhaps not sturdy enough to support the added superstructure. The third song played is another Off the Wallesque, mid-paced love song with a youthful, almost naive-sounding vocal. It feels very much like a song that didn't make it on to an old album, and while the production is good – there's an amazing rolling beat throughout – it still feels slight. And when one of the songs directly recalls the bassline from The Way You Make Me Feel it seems like a step too far; a reminder again that these were songs that Jackson, ever the perfectionist, didn't finish for good reason.

Thankfully five songs in there's a proper, undeniably amazing hit in the shape of what may or may not finally be called Do You Know Where Your Children Are (the original incarnation of the song leaked in 2012). Opening with a delicate flurry of cascading 80s synths, it feels like the perfect embodiment of the old and the new, with some vintage “hee hee” ad-libs peppering the sophisticated mesh of electronics. It also features a typical Jackson pre-chorus section that then opens out into the album's best chorus, before a great false stop moment heralds an even more bonkers final third, with Jackson hee-heeing and ow-ing his head off.

The sixth song, Slave to the Rhythm, first appeared last summer, when a high quality version leaked as a duet with Justin Bieber (and again in snippet form on a mobile phone advert). Thankfully, Bieber is missing from the final version, which Timbaland has used to show off all his production touches – lashings of beatboxing in the intro, loads of vocal tics throughout, big spidery bassline and, as with some of his other songs on Xscape, barely any space for the song to breathe. Thankfully Slave to the Rhythm – thought to have been recorded initially for Dangerous in 1991 and then left off Invincible at the last minute – is strong enough to fight its way through the clutter. From there we get perhaps the album's only true lowpoint in a number that feels like about three different songs fighting for attention, before finishing with Jerkins' Xscape, the only song that sounds like a bit of a struggle vocally, with Jackson's various vocal tics becoming a bit of a hindrance rather than something more carefree. It also feeds on the paranoia Jackson brought into his music after the child abuse allegations of the mid-90s with lines like “I won't hide away” and “I can't do what I want to do” snarled rather than sung. But again, the production is sprightly, with synth strings and horn samples popping up unannounced and a bit towards the end where the various layers fall away to leave some brilliant ad-libs and the final word, “escape”.

Xscape feels like an album created to showcase a handful of Jackson songs that on the whole deserve to be heard. You get the immediate sense that a lot of time (and money) has been spent on these songs and that care's been taken to show the songs off in the best light possible. While some of them are very obviously album tracks at best, there are flashes of genius that haven't been diluted or watered down. In fact, Xscape manages to bring most of them to life.

It also irks me that people are throwing the word 'illegal' around so readily. Many of those people would have downloaded them too, and this forum provided us the means to get at them and share them.

I downloaded them too and when I reminded him that he illegally downloaded those songs not bought them I also added that I did too and my issue is not that fans give in to temptation and are curious and download leaks. I do that too. But then to complain that this release "is not worth my money" and "I am going to torrent it" is hypocritical on so many levels. One is that just bacause you illegally downloaded it you did NOT buy it! So it's not like you are required to buy the same thing twice. You did NOT buy it even once, yet it's on your computer and presumably you listen to it from time to time. So don't you think it would be fair to pay the price? Especially when you are talking about your favourite artist. Then the "I'm gonna torrent it" thing. If you torrent it that means you want to have it. Then why don't you buy it? Or if you do not care then do not buy it but then do not torrent it either.

I keep reading on here as I have scoured my way through the thread that there is a theme of people not exactly jumping for joy about the track: Love Never Felt So Good - Why is this? I am not too familiar with it myself so I am reserving judgment.

It's a good song. But it's a Demo from 1983 (same sessions as This Is It with Paul Anka). And since all other songs are from Dangerous sessions - Invincible sessions that song just doesn't fit with the others. But as a song it's a nice song.

Last edited:
Back