When someone says something negative about Michael does it change how you feel about that person?

Catherine..

Proud Member
This is mostly addressed as celebrity culture, and artists.
If your a fan of a singer or something, yet they say something about Michael, how do you feel about them?
I notice alot of fans are very sensitive to this kind of thing.

i am sensitive to that kind of thing. yes it can change how i feel about a person, cus MJ embodies so much that is beautiful. if a person can find negativity in that, it makes me wary of that person.

yes cause it shows their attitude also for me. If they can't respect what do I like, my hobbies etc then they also don't respect me. They judge by things they don't know mostly just to hurt you so it means they don't care about you. But most of the time I just don't give any attention for example what my relatives says about me being a fan. All I say against that "ok, you can say whatever you want, it will not change my thoughts and actually I am not interested in your opinions cause they are based on nothing" then they stop talking :p

Well it depends, if that person is always negative towards how I feel about a situation or someone? then I gotta let them go, but regardless people are gonna talk about mike either way, some of my family members diss him( not on a regular basis) but I can't hate them. :)

Well it depends, if that person is always negative towards how I feel about a situation or someone? then I gotta let them go, but regardless people are gonna talk about mike either way, some of my family members diss him( not on a regular basis) but I can't hate them. :)
yeah, I also don't hate my relatives, I mean, how could I just so they wouldn't like Michael? lol the feeling I have is so they would understand that their opinions about Michael is not interesting for me if they say all the same things. If person meets me for the first time I finds out I am a fan and diss Michael or my fandom I don't hate them either, I just don't have good impression of them if they don't respect me being a fan :p

It also depends on how they say it. I don't mind someone disagreeing with my views on Michael and I enjoy a good discussion about him. But if they are just nasty & spout hatred then it doesn't give me a very good impression of them.

In all honesty, I think many MJ fans are too quick to dislike people who do not like Michael and can sometimes be too quick to judge. Whenever someone finds a quote that even comes close to 'dissing' Michael people jump on it and almost wage a hate campaign against that person simply for having their own view point.

It also depends on how they say it. I don't mind someone disagreeing with my views on Michael and I enjoy a good discussion about him. But if they are just nasty & spout hatred then it doesn't give me a very good impression of them.

In all honesty, I think many MJ fans are too quick to dislike people who do not like Michael and can sometimes be too quick to judge. Whenever someone finds a quote that even comes close to 'dissing' Michael people jump on it and almost wage a hate campaign against that person simply for having their own view point.
Many fans have known Michael all their lives. Thay were introduced to MJ from birth as both their parents were fans. Many watched him grow some grew up with him. My aunt is now in her 70's and she fights vigorously for him,she says she watched him grow as a child. The Jackson family, like the Kenedy family, have been more than just famous people. They are woven into our psychy. They are part of our culture. They are like our family. When someone attack your family, you defend, sometimes aggressively too. The fans defend MJ because they feel like he is family.
Yes, I do lose some respect for them when they attack MJ. I had some visitors come over from America to visit. When I told one of them that MJ was staying near them, her response was,'That Monster?' I was alarmed at her response. I always had a very high opinion of her and I felt that she was less interesting than I thought. Of course she apogised when she say that I was not amused. Days later I started a discussion about MJ, just to let people know how I feel about him. Surprise, surprise, she also was in agreement with me. I don't like shallow people for friends.:punk:

actually that's a good discussion. Thank you for posting! :flowers:

I also have a question for you all. If you have arguments or opinions about being a fan or about Michael is it mostly based on no information or do they always have a meaning they don't like Michael? Can they explain why they don't like?

My relatives always explain that "he has dark eyes and black hair that makes him to be `dark`" so in my opinion that is not a reason to talk negative things about him and to say to me I should quit my fandom:mello:

It depends what is said and how it is said. If it's just a "I don't like his music" comment, that's fine- everyone has different tastes. However, if it's about his personal life, or a direct stab, I get defensive. Someone once slapped my hand when I said I was a fan! That definitely changed how I felt about that person, because being a Michael Jackson fan is part of who I am.

Just like magic said, if someone disses Michael knowing that I am a fan, I feel that that is a sign of disrespect to me as well as Michael.

Luckily, most of my friends and associates know that I have been a fan all of my life, and know that fandom is part of who I am. Most of the time I get questions like "How's Michael Jackson these days?" "What's he been up to?" "I heard this the other day, is it true?" It's pretty cool.

I also have a question for you all. If you have arguments or opinions about being a fan or about Michael is it mostly based on no information or do they always have a meaning they don't like Michael? Can they explain why they don't like?

You know what? I find they usually can't explain why they don't like him. Sometimes it will be 'I don't like his music' or 'Pop isn't my thing' etc, but most of the time I get remarks like "Oh I used to love the Thriller album but then Michael went weird" :mello: I always have good arguments to come back at them with, like this: "Does Michael being weird mean that his music is not brilliant? Does it mean he all of a sudden has no talent or artistic merit? If you were a pop star, wouldn't you want someone to love you for your music, not your personal life?" They usually don't know what to say to that. :lol:

My relatives always explain that "he has dark eyes and black hair that makes him to be `dark`" so in my opinion that is not a reason to talk negative things about him and to say to me I should quit my fandom:mello:
:eek: :huh:

Last edited:
Also, any massive artist tends to provoke stong opinions from people, whether it be Michael, Madonna, even Britney. This is especially true when they become known for stuff outside of their music.

Like Marni said, there's nothing wrong with people having a different tastes but I tend to find no-one really disagrees how fantastic he is musically & creatively.

Those that dislike him beacuse of the allegations usually haven't followed the case as closely as I have and if we get into discussion, I can usually tell them facts that amaze them.

yes, that's also my expression when my mom mentioned the cause she doesn't like Michael cause he has dark eyes and black hair. I always answer "well I like dark eyes and black hair"
tlab06.gif
that's what I love in Michael's look :wild:

This is mostly addressed as celebrity culture, and artists.
If your a fan of a singer or something, yet they say something about Michael, how do you feel about them?
I notice alot of fans are very sensitive to this kind of thing.

I have to admit, during these years I've been a fan I have got a rhino skin when it comes to someone talking about Michael, and I just tend to ignore everything negative. When it's my friends I see them as a 'a tabloid with feet' because I know for sure they don't know him, so how on earth they could actually say something that is true. All they know is what they have read from tabloids and seen on tv. But yes of course it hurts me when they talk rubbish about him, because then they just show they have no respect towards me or my life. Hey, I don't go dissing their love for cars and how many hours in a day they spend fixing and tuning their cars. It's the same thing, just the 'object for love' is different. Thank God my family has learnt to keep their mouth shut, tho sometimes their faces shows when it would be nice to change the subject.

Usually they don't have anything, and everything is just based on what they've read or seen. I wouldn't mind having a conversations, if their opinions and arguments would actually be based on something! I know everyone has a different kind of tastes and I don't expect everyone to like Michael, and that's just fine with me. But when their opinions is basically just rubbish, explaining and talking with them is just a waste of time.

Last edited:
AW: When someone says something negative about Michael does it change how you feel about that person

I guess, there are two kinds. You got friends and random people. If a friend starts something negative it is almost always because he or she doesn't know better.

Just the other week I gave a friend, he is a big Prince fan, Mike's Jacksons albums Destiny and Triumph. Though he knew about some songs he didn't
know the albums. And guess what happened? He was just in shock how good that material is. He just fall in love with it. So he ordered more from Mike's post Thriller stuff later on. Dangerous and History. He didn't know about stuff like "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" or "This Time Around". And again, I got him.

Before that he was always "he is done" and "just cause of Q". I turned him around. That feels good.

Random people... I don't bother. If they don't hear and see it, they might will some day or they won't.

Nowhere7

Many fans have known Michael all their lives. Thay were introduced to MJ from birth as both their parents were fans. Many watched him grow some grew up with him. My aunt is now in her 70's and she fights vigorously for him,she says she watched him grow as a child. The Jackson family, like the Kenedy family, have been more than just famous people. They are woven into our psychy. They are part of our culture. They are like our family. When someone attack your family, you defend, sometimes aggressively too. The fans defend MJ because they feel like he is family.
Yes, I do lose some respect for them when they attack MJ. I had some visitors come over from America to visit. When I told one of them that MJ was staying near them, her response was,'That Monster?' I was alarmed at her response. I always had a very high opinion of her and I felt that she was less interesting than I thought. Of course she apogised when she say that I was not amused. Days later I started a discussion about MJ, just to let people know how I feel about him. Surprise, surprise, she also was in agreement with me. I don't like shallow people for friends.:punk:

What you said is Very True!!! My family always talk about his apperance and his skin condition!!! eventhough i've kinda given up in telling them the truth, I still think that they are my family(Relatives) and I have no reason to hate them!!! I might be angry with them but Mostly ppl. I meet are the ones i dislike. Cuz when they find out i'm a MJ fan, they start talkin S**T About him and it makes me crazy, even if my friends or whome ever introduced me to these ppl told me that they are good ppl. I Know After the comment on MJ, I WOULDNT Really like them!!!!

Re: AW: When someone says something negative about Michael does it change how you feel about that pe

I guess, there are two kinds. You got friends and random people. If a friend starts something negative it is almost always because he or she doesn't know better.

Just the other week I gave a friend, he is a big Prince fan, Mike's Jacksons albums Destiny and Triumph. Though he knew about some songs he didn't
know the albums. And guess what happened? He was just in shock how good that material is. He just fall in love with it. So he ordered more from Mike's post Thriller stuff later on. Dangerous and History. He didn't know about stuff like "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" or "This Time Around". And again, I got him.

Before that he was always "he is done" and "just cause of Q". I turned him around. That feels good.

Random people... I don't bother. If they don't hear and see it, they might will some day or they won't.

Nowhere7
good job :punk:

I think most of ppl even don't want to find out more about Michael's music cause they have this in mind, opinion based of tabloids etc... that they will not love it anyway. And more or less but everybody likes Michael music, they just don't want to admit that :p

Re: AW: When someone says something negative about Michael does it change how you feel about that pe

Nope.
Not liking Michael Jackson doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.

Hollaback.
That's true, but not liking Michael or any person based on mis-information certainly isn't nice.

Nowhere7

Now that is awesome! :punk:

my family all are fans so i don't have a problem here. as for other people, it makes me sad if they start talking rubbish about Michael. normally i try to give as much brief information as i can but if a person doesnt want to listen, then yes i don't feel really good about this person. i'm staying neutral but become less friendly. not hostile of course, just kinda indifferent. people that listen to Michael's music and don't like it seem kinda deaf to me. or blind if they watch
his videos and it doesnt impress them. what do you have in common with them? just strangers...

I think most of ppl even don't want to find out more about Michael's music cause they have this in mind, opinion based of tabloids etc... that they will not love it anyway. And more or less but everybody likes Michael music, they just don't want to admit that :p

I think so too. They have already built this certain image of Michael in their minds and being completely stubborns they just refuse to change that, no matter how much proof you show them.

Well sometimes it does. You're not a bad person if you don't like Michael Jackson, that's quite obvious cause people have diffrent tastes in music, But to diss him...?
For what? And why?
It just tells you a lot about the person you're talkin with.
I don't really understand why do people judge or diss others...and I don't want that kind of people in my life.
If their opinion is based on no knowledge at all but they DO want to learn something about Michael before they say anything - 's fine.
We can talk about his music or whatever, when we only find time.
But I don't really feel like arguing with anyone.
Sometimes when people learn that I'm a big fan of Michael,
they play the child molester card - and no matter how hard you try and how good your arguments are - they won't listen. So why should I even talk to them? If they don't respect the fact that I like a certain person how can they respect anything else?

The truth is that when anyone makes it to the top, you are going to have haters. SO I agree with the person who said, "it depends on how they say it what they mean by it. If someone is just speaking about tabloid mess but is willing to listen, no I will be mad (often time these people understand the media is trash and they do not really follow everything MIchael does. Plus,when I break down to them, they know people could think bad about the way they live if we are going to judge people); however, people who diss MIchael out of to just be nasty, yes, I go OFF because often time, these kind of people do it in order to get a response out of me and to see if it will get next to me. SO I break them down until it gets to the point of them saying "you take this too serious". And I in turn tell them, "well, that is what you wanted". And also, these people will be the FIRST to get anything Michael puts out or to see him on tv. If you are are a REAL hater, "you should not know too much about what he is doing now" but if you do, why are you following him? That is what I put to these kind of people. Thank goodness there are very few of these kind of people around me. Most people I know love Michael and wants him back.

When people do that to you, it is to get to YOU. It not so much about Michael. Believe me, if Michal would walk through the door, those idoits that play that "child abuse" card would be the first in Michael's face screaming like @#$%. It never fails.

while i understand that not everyone is going to always have glowing things to say about Michael, it still saddens me when a celebrity says something off color about him. More often than not, the comment is soo out of left field ... having no bearing on what they were talking about prior to the Michael referance, i like to consider it a case of 'open mouth, insert foot'. Unless the person is asked a direct question about Michael, I try to take it all with a grain of salt. However, if they have a HIStory of taking shots at Michael ... I make the choice not to even look for the salt shaker. Then again, if the person is already not one of my favorites, they undoubtedly fall farther down on my list regardless.

What I try to remember is, not everyone is as passionate about Michael. Their words really don't carry as much wieght as I sometimes choose to believe.

In a nutshell, my first reaction is something like ... :eek: "How dare that mutha f'er say that ish, those so and so's :mad: what the F do they know ?? **growl** wait, who was that again ?? Shoot !! like I give a **** what they think anyway :lol: "

to be honest, i change my view on the person as not very open-minded and with a lack of sense for music and tolerance... that is, if a ''friend'' of mine keeps provoking me about MJ and he/she doesn't know SH!T about his music, it shows that they are not very bright. I can't help it. I don't change my opinion as to if the person is good/bad, but ignorant/tolerant, yes.

Back