Final 2009 albums sales update

smooth_criminal05

Proud Member
FINAL UPDATE: ALBUM SALES FOR 2009, BOTH US AND GLOBALLY.

*Jackson Sells 24,800,000 albums in 2009 including Jackson 5 material, Motown, and Sony albums.

*Sony shipped 30,000,000 albums in 2009 while Motown shipped 1,500,000

*Jackson sold 9,000,000 albums in the US which makes him the best selling act this year.

*Jackson was the biggest selling musical act in the US, UK, Europe, Japan, and Globally.

*MJ's Global sales were huge and outpaced the nearest competition by over double. (#2 were The Beatles who sold 11 million albums this year vs Jackson's 24.8 million).

Sales are below, and the first post has been updated for the entire year of 2009. Congratulations Michael!

-------

OFF THE WALL
-500,000 (US)
-1,700,000 (Globally)

THRILLER
-1,300,000 (US)
-4,000,000 (Globally)

BAD
-550,000 (US)
-2,000,000 (Globally)

DANGEROUS
-390,000 (US)
-1,700,000 (Globally)

HISTORY
-160,000 (US)
-650,000 (Globally)

INVINCIBLE
-190,000 (US)
-900,000 (Globally)

ESSENTIAL
-1,100,000 (US)
-2,900,000 (Globally)

NUMBER ONES
-2,400,000 (US)
-3,600,000 (Globally)

KING OF POP
-2,000,000 (Globally)

THIS IS IT
-1,300,000 (US)
-3,100,000 (Globally)

JACKSON 5 ALBUMS
-500,000 (US)
-1,000,000 (Globally)

OTHER:
-600,000 (US)
-1,300,000 (Globally)

TOTAL US ALBUM SALES= 9.0 MILLION
TOTAL GLOBAL ALBUM SALES= 24.8 MILLION

*Remember, the US totals are already included in global numbers. They are shown separately just to point out how much of that global number is being sold in the US.
---

Jackson's Positions On Global Top 40 Charts For 2009:

#5: Thriller (4,000,000)
#6: Number Ones (3,600,000)
#11: This Is It (3,100,000)
#13: The Essential (2,900,000)
#19: King Of Pop (2,000,000)
#20: Bad (2,000,000)
#24: Dangerous (1,700,000)
#25: Off The Wall (1,700,000)

Last edited:
Congrats to Michael on this wonderful achievement. After all this time he can still amount these huge album sales-it just shows to everyone how special he is. Michael Jackson will live forever.

ok..i don't get it..does sony ship something if it is ordered? or even if it's not ordered?, because it's saying that sony shipped more than he sold altogether from j5 and sony era...

^ Shipments are referred to as the number of albums a store orders. Sony has shipped 30 million MJ albums in 2009. Out of those, approximately 23 million+ have sold, meaning there is a little under 7 million albums still on store shelves. Same goes for Motown. Record companies always ship extra so that they can sit on the self for a long period of time, it saves them constantly having to re-ship every few weeks.

great, too bad michael isn't here to see it, he would be exstatic even more so that invincible was voted album of the 2000's great news !!

Wow. All together he sold 24.8 million albums in the world. I am happy for him.

Excellent.
And now.... lets read the news reports on the net about that mega success of the real KING... the only artist having 8 albums in the Top25 best sellers!

I think it could be a record..., right?

After MJ passed, I have re-purchased all his solo albums (excluding Motown) for archiving.

I keep them in their original packaging. The only one that was missing is Invincible. I had a very hard time finding that album.

But on xmas even, I went to a local wal-mart and picked up their last copy.

OT: I have been to 4 Target / Wal-Mart stores...and they have an incredible number of This is it albums. Very impressive.

I have also the This is it accompanying guide.

There is and will be only ONE King of Pop, these numbers prove that!

Thanks for posting Smooth Criminal :flowers:

May the World bow down to the KING!

Now thats what am talking about...NO ONE DOES IT BETTER!!!! WILL NEVER DO IT BETTER Except you MIKE!!! My LOVE, YOU GOT THE WORLD's HEART AND We'll NEVER LET YOU GO!!!! :cry:I LOVE YOU, I MISS YOU!!!!

P.S. Michael, how is it going with Arch Angel Michael? :D Heaven's got two Angel Michaels up there...

L.O.V.E.
Romi

omgodzzzz.gif
omgodzzzz.gif

AMAZING!!! AMAZING, BELOVED MICHAEL!!
I have also bought some albums to keep them sealed... :)

I know this is information you have been gathering all year long, so could we say this is your final summary, not information published at any specific place? I just ask this to quote you when I pass this info to my friends of my MJ club (they don't speak English, so I try to give them the valuable info you are giving us here).

I also found this at Bilboard:
(source: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i719dc07a203bf2ecfc15f306b41057a7)

Michael Jackson sales frenzy
Michael Jackson’s June 25 death set off one of the biggest sales explosions ever seen for an artist’s catalog. As Sony scrambled to meet demand for product, U.S. sales of the late artist’s solo albums totaled 422,000 units in the week of his death, surging from 10,000 units in the prior week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. In the following week, sales of his solo titles hit 794,000 units, benefiting from a full seven days of sales and replenished supplies. From his death through the week ending Nov. 29, Jackson’s U.S. sales totaled 7 million albums, 10.2 million track downloads and 1.3 million DVDs, skyrocketing from year-to-date sales before his death of 300,000 albums, 1.2 million track downloads and 70,000 DVDs.

10.2 million track downloads!!!!!!

- Jackson becomes the first act to sell more than 1 million song downloads in a week (2,600,000 downloads in A WEEK)

- Michael Jackson Breaks Billboard Charts Records
Michael Jackson died on a Thursday. By Sunday, the King of Pop set a number of Billboard chart records. It was the first time in the SoundScan era a catalog album - let alone three of them - outsold the top current title. Jackson had the top nine positions on the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Albums chart - eight solo albums and one Jackson 5 album. And as physical supply was rushed to market to meet demand, digital retailers were the big winners that week. Jackson had six of the titles on Billboard's Top Digital Albums chart that week. And he had 25 of 75 titles on the Hot Digital songs chart.

- Fans Snap Up 1.1 Million Michael Jackson Albums In One Week

etc
etc
etc

There is an incredible number of records Michael broke this year. It is simply amazing!!!!

dancing20happy20dance.gif

man that is incredible. this has got to be the record for the most records sold in one year by an artist. is it?

on ocasion I've heard people say this is only because he died, and I would like to say to them that if it wasn't for him being so talented in the first place, nobody would have cared.

i notice that the week before June 25, he had 1.2million track downloads. a microcosm of MJ always selling, every day of his life. i guess it took June 25, for the record keepers to finally admit that. so i think that 750 million units, prior to June 25 was a gross understatement.

Another thing i find interesting is the industry records MJ broke at a cretin time in his career.

Now i have to ask, how many records in the music business did Elvis break about 10 years into his solo career?

Because by 1989 MJ already had(NOTE: These are not all of the records broken by MJ by this time. These are just some of the BIG ones he had during this time period. If I did AL his record then we would be here for a while.)

- The Biggest Selling album of all time (Thriller- 50 million at the time)

- The second biggest selling album of all time (Bad- 26 million at the time)

- The Largest recording artist of the last decade and possibly more (110 million during the 80's)

- The Biggest selling music home video of all time (Moonwalker- 3 million)

- The second biggest selling music home video of all time (The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller- 3 million)

- winning most Grammies in a year (8 in 1984)

- The largest grossing tour of all time (Bad World Tour-$125 million)

- The tour attended by more people than any tour in history (Bad World Tour- 4.4 million people)

- The First and only album to yield 5 #1 singles (Bad album)

- The first album to go to #1 in 25 countries (Bad album)

- And 15 #1 hits by this time.(including Jackson 5 and We Are The World)
----------

Now these are records broken all the way up uintil 1989.

OBVIOUSLY he has broken plenty more in the years to come with Dangeorus, HIStory, and Invincible.

But this just goes to show that by 1989 ALONE, MJ no longer needed to prove himself as a musical legend or an icon in the business.

HE has literally done it all by 1989. But there was still more to come. Plus the fact that this was all achieved by one person is amazing.

But now I have to ask. Did Elvis ever have all of these kinds of records broken about 10 years into his solo career?

I HIGHLY doubt that. MJ surpassed him by 1989. LEt alone 2009.

Another thing i find interesting is the industry records MJ broke at a cretin time in his career.

Now i have to ask, how many records in the music business did Elvis break about 10 years into his solo career?

Because by 1989 MJ already had(NOTE: These are not all of the records broken by MJ by this time. These are just some of the BIG ones he had during this time period. If I did AL his record then we would be here for a while.)

- The Biggest Selling album of all time (Thriller- 50 million at the time)

- The second biggest selling album of all time (Bad- 26 million at the time)

- The Largest recording artist of the last decade and possibly more (110 million during the 80's)

- The Biggest selling music home video of all time (Moonwalker- 3 million)

- The second biggest selling music home video of all time (The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller- 3 million)

- winning most Grammies in a year (8 in 1984)

- The largest grossing tour of all time (Bad World Tour-$125 million)

- The tour attended by more people than any tour in history (Bad World Tour- 4.4 million people)

- The First and only album to yield 5 #1 singles (Bad album)

- The first album to go to #1 in 25 countries (Bad album)

- And 15 #1 hits by this time.(including Jackson 5 and We Are The World)
----------

Now these are records broken all the way up uintil 1989.

OBVIOUSLY he has broken plenty more in the years to come with Dangeorus, HIStory, and Invincible.

But this just goes to show that by 1989 ALONE, MJ no longer needed to prove himself as a musical legend or an icon in the business.

HE has literally done it all by 1989. But there was still more to come. Plus the fact that this was all achieved by one person is amazing.

But now I have to ask. Did Elvis ever have all of these kinds of records broken about 10 years into his solo career?

I HIGHLY doubt that. MJ surpassed him by 1989. LEt alone 2009.

MJ is the most underrated artist ever! Imagine if these records belonged to someone else, say Elvis! What would the media and fans do? They would make a god out of him, but Michael, they laugh at him and slander his legendary name. So sad. He still is not given his deserved respect and glory.

Back