Thread: Eminem

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Eminem

I don't have respect for musicians who consider themselves credible and artistic but have to resort to petty jokes and insults to sell records. Eminem's albums are like Weird Al's album. The different is Weird Al is actually a comedy artist (and a very funny one), but Eminem claims to be an actual artist. His albums should be in the comedy section of music stores, because that's what he does, tells jokes in his music usually about people who are better than him.

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob George View Post
    Eminem's albums are like Weird Al's album. The different is Weird Al is actually a comedy artist (and a very funny one), but Eminem claims to be an actual artist. His albums should be in the comedy section of music stores, because that's what he does, tells jokes in his music usually about people who are better than him.
    I'm going to go ahead and say that you haven't listened to The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP, or The Eminem Show. If you have, then you're borderline just outright lying by claiming he is anything like a parody artist.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

When did I say parody artist? I said comedy artist. I have heard certain song from those albums. "My Name Is" off the Slim Shady LP relies on comedy. "The Real Slim Shady" off the Marshal Mathers LP relies on comedy. "Without Me" from the Eminem Show relies on comedy. There are only two Eminem songs I think are worth a listen. "Guilty Conscience" and "Stan". Everything else that I've heard is just comedy disguised as rap.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

When did I say parody artist? I said comedy artist. I have heard certain song from those albums. "My Name Is" off the Slim Shady LP relies on comedy. "The Real Slim Shady" off the Marshal Mathers LP relies on comedy. "Without Me" from the Eminem Show relies on comedy. There are only two Eminem songs I think are worth a listen. "Guilty Conscience" and "Stan". Everything else that I've heard is just comedy disguised as rap.
    No offense, but you just don't seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to his albums. You can say what you want about the songs you have heard, but you spoke directly about the CDs, and that they belonged in the comedy section. The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP are pretty dark albums, especially the latter. If you had heard those CDs in their entirety, you would probably see how ludicrous your statement about them was. The Eminem Show was less dark, but at least half of it, if not more, was serious. Your resentment of his attitude has evidently resulted in blind criticism of his music. Unless I am missing something, I was always under the impression that you have to hear an album before you start talking about what the album is. You're free to say that his singles that you've checked out are this or that, because that is at least validated with the fact that you've heard them. However, people who have listened to all of Eminem's albums would likely find your claim about them laughable. It's pretty well known to anybody with a remotely knowledgeable opinion about Eminem that songs like My Name Is, The Real Slim Shady, and Without Me are a far cry from what the bulk of the material on the album is like, although I do find those songs entertaining as well.

If someone is not a rap fan in general, then that's their taste, but there really is no educated argument for Eminem not doing his job well. Just because some of you believe he sucks as a person doesn't automatically mean he sucks as an artist too. Although that's likely the case for a lot of the responses here. Honestly, I do think the outlook of this thread would look much, much, much different if he and Michael Jackson were BFFs.

There's not much more to say other than you flat out don't seem to know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Grand Master S; 21-01-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Oh....i think the word ur actually looking for is 'genius' ^_^
    He comes out, he says what he wants when he wants to say it and he makes millions of dollars in the process. Most of it by just being controversial and nothing else. Genius personified.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I am a fan of rap, that's why I don't appreciate Eminem. The songs I mentioned are his biggest singles from each album the point of a single is the give the public some idea of the sort of music on the album so if they like the single they will buy the album. If he was a credible artist he'd release those "dark" songs as singles if he wanted to be thought of that way as an artist. But he chose to release the comedy song so to people who aren't big fans and haven't purchased the album he comes across as a comedy act.

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I am a fan of rap, that's why I don't appreciate Eminem. The songs I mentioned are his biggest singles from each album the point of a single is the give the public some idea of the sort of music on the album so if they like the single they will buy the album. If he was a credible artist he'd release those "dark" songs as singles if he wanted to be thought of that way as an artist. But he chose to release the comedy song so to people who aren't big fans and haven't purchased the album he comes across as a comedy act.
    So actually in a way by saying hes a comedy act you are saying he has a great sense of humor right?
    Well thats so true. He can say anything and people laugh - and plus he has this wonderful ability to make people take him soo seriously when hes really just messing around for the hell of it. :lol:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

That in no way negates the fact that you inaccurately stated that his albums were primarily comedy.

His popular singles, if for some reason you're telling us what the actual albums are like based on them, from the three CDs I mentioned are:

Guilty Conscience
    My Name Is
    Role Model
    The Real Slim Shady
    Stan
    The Way I Am
    Without Me
    Cleanin' Out My Closet
    Superman
    Sing For the Moment

Out of those, I would say the primarily pop-like comedy songs are My Name Is, The Real Sim Shady, Without Me, and Superman. I'm questioning how much of his music, even the singles, you've even heard if you arrived at the conclusion that he's thought of as mostly a joker rapper.

Just the fact that you're evidently unaware that he's released "dark" songs does not mean he didn't. Considering that he is/was a massive mainstream star at the time of their releases, I'd also say that plenty of people have heard the whole LPs, and are aware of who and what he is as a rapper. Which you aren't. Making excuses of how you're judging solely on the critera of singles you've heard is lame when you earlier made claims about whole albums. As a lyricist, his rhymes are often superior to rappers whom passionate rap fans put on a pedestal, but will never admit because it's Eminem and he's "too commercial." I wonder if most of them, like you, didn't listen to the albums, but talk about them anyway.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Why should I buy the albums of an artist I don't like? That's just silly. As I said, you're supposed to convince people to buy your albums by the singles released. The singles are rubbish that rely on cheap humour. That doesn't convince me to buy his albums. I actually have probably heard his albums in full without paying attention because a lot of parties I went to in high school played those albums because they were so popular at the time. But you can say what you want about the majority of the stuff on his albums, the fact that he needs to resort to cheap humour to grab people's attention in the first place is not very credible IMO.

Btw, I've heard all the songs you listed except Role Model. lol, I hope he's not talking about himself. The only songs I like a Guilty Conscience and Stan. Superman I remember being the crappiest piece of crap I ever heard. Sign For the Moment was an insult to one of my favourite bands (which btw, if you want to hear good rap check out "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith and Run DMC, one of my favourite rap song, although it's mixed with rock). Cleaning Out My Closet is annoying because of the way he tried to sing the chorus and the beat. Everything else is pretty much too comedic to be taken seriously. Oh, and The Way I Am, I only like because Marilyn Manson was in the video and I think sung on one of the single versions or something.
    Last edited by Bob George; 21-01-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

It's no use me trying to say it, because Weird Al said it best...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mfF6LJT5XKE

Ignore the video, just listen.

Now that's REAL comedy. Eminem, take note. If you want to be a comedic artist, then do it right. Weird Al is a comedic artist and always has been. He's never claimed to be anything but. Eminem still thinks he's some kind of a credible rapper.
    Last edited by Bob George; 21-01-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Why should I buy the albums of an artist I don't like. That's just silly. As I said, you're supposed to convince people to buy your albums by the singles released.
    Once again you masterfully manage to miss the point. Don't buy the albums; you are not obligated to. However, if you have not listened to them, do not make claims about what they are or what content is primarily on them. Your statements about his albums are, again, laughable to anybody who's heard them.

The singles are rubbish that really on cheap humour.
    And also a special shout out for skipping over the post in which I proved that wrong. Not that I necessarily have a problem with the brand of humor you speak of, but if you have a picture in your head in which Eminem's popular music consists solely of tracks like "The Real Slim Shady," then it's a pretty cloudy, uninformed picture. At the end, I still believe it comes down to you not knowing what in the world you're talking about.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master S View Post
    Once again you masterfully manage to miss the point. Don't buy the albums; you are not obligated to. However, if you have not listened to them, do not make claims about what they are or what content is primarily on them. Your statements about his albums are, again, laughable to anybody who's heard them.

And also a special shout out for skipping over the post in which I proved that wrong. Not that I necessarily have a problem with the brand of humor you speak of, but if you have a picture in your head in which Eminem's popular music consists solely of tracks like "The Real Slim Shady," then it's a pretty cloudy, uninformed picture. At the end, I still believe it comes down to you not knowing what in the world you're talking about.
    lol, you said yourself, it that post right there, Eminem's POPULAR music. The so-called "dark" songs aren't popular, with the exception of "Stan". The songs that get all the airplay and chart highest are his comedic songs. They are the songs he relies to sell his music.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

The so-called "dark" songs aren't popular with the exception of "Stan."
    Wrong. No further explanation necessary, since you simply do not know and I don't feel like bestowing upon you nuggets of wisdom on the basis that I prefer I be smarter.

OMG HAHAHAHAHA YOU POSTED A PARODY OF EMINEM *ROFLMFAO INTERNET LAUGHTER*

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master S View Post
    Wrong. No further explanation necessary, since you simply do not know and I don't feel like bestowing upon you nuggets of wisdom on the basis that I prefer I be smarter.
    Yawn.... here's Eminem's highest charting singles...

The Real Slim Shady (UK #1)
    Stan (UK & Germany #1)
    Without Me (UK & Germany #1)
    Lose Yourself (US & UK #1)
    Just Lose It (UK and Australia #1)

They are all comedic except Stan (as I already said) and Lose Yourself which was a movie promotion so ofcourse it's gonna be successful.

So.... what now?
    Last edited by Bob George; 21-01-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Yawn.... here's Eminem's highest charting singles...

The Real Slim Shady
    Stan
    Without Me
    Lose Yourself
    Just Lose It

They are all comedic except Stan
    At what point did I say that the humorous tracks/videos didn't realize huge commercial success? If you're somehow implying that this should be the sole criteria for which all of his other music is rendered irrelevant, then I'd venture to say it's some pretty ass backward logic. Songs like The Way I Am, Cleanin' Out My Closet, Guilty Conscience, Stan, and Sing For the Moment were also commercially released, people have heard them and know of them. In addition to that, people buy his albums too. Does it for some reason make you upset if he realized great success from those funny songs, to the extent that his other music no longer counts?

I wonder if at any point, you are willing to admit that your comment on his albums belonging in the comedy section was unknowledgeable, but probably not.

and Lose Yourself which was a movie promotion so ofcourse it's gonna be successful.
    Of course. It's not just simply a good song.

So... what now?
    What now? I've heard his albums and you haven't, still. That hasn't really changed. Therefore, my opinion on Eminem as a rapper > Yours.
    Last edited by Grand Master S; 21-01-2008 at 04:24 PM.