MTV finally admitting the truth: MJ received the Artist of the Millenium Award in 2002

hmm they could have said that before. but instead they made it look like he was wrong and it was a mistake and made fun of him.

Wow, they can f off.

I would understand if they would appologise, but in case like this, it would be better if they would write nothning! Bastards!

Too little too late. MTV disrespected the biggest and best thing to ever happen to pop music and they never apologized when they still had the chance.

You know what pisses off? Some of Michael fans (in here even) actually believed that Michael was delusional for accepting it as an award.

The Artist of the Millennium Award was stated in the MTV website the night Michael received the award and it was removed from the MTV website the day after. A MJJF/MJJC member named Whisper even print screened that page that stated Michael received the Millennium Award.

But nooo, some fans insisted that Michael was delusional.

And to think that douchebag Jack Black made fun of MJ. I remember when MJ accepted it....and nobody told him it wasn't that award....so who did tell him? Cause he wasn't made fun of in public by MTV.....oh wait..Jack Black was ON MTV during that...stupid act.

A day late and a dollar short...

Mtv are piggy backers. They haven't played real music since MJ's last video premiere. That company wasn't sh*t until MJ's video and when the company turned it's back on MJ that place has gone down hill. To hell with them, corny motherf*&((*&

that' so disgusting of them. they made a joke out of him...so what's the point of this action now?

i so wanna give them a piece of my mind right now

Never watching MtV again. Should've stopped a long time ago.

Anyone who has a tape of that night can call them out on that, talking about 'oh we never had any AOTM award, what was he thinking'...and of course have enought nerve to talk about it.

Wow...

I knew stuff like this would happen, but i just cant believe it still. People are so blatantly trifling.

Oh please. He helped to make MTV what it is and vice versa, but they really benefited from his music and celebrity and then had the nerve to turn around and treat him like a joke for the past few years?! Now they want to say he received the millenium award after they humiliated him at the 2002 VMA's. Things like that piss me off. MTV can go to hell.

One last time...cause i am really wondering...

WHO told him it was not the award...when it actually was all along though?
Nobody told him this during him accepting the award...so when and how
did MTV say it wasn't that award? I want to know..so i can show people who
are asking me about it...plus i want to know it myself too.

It was an obvious setup. Why would they talk about the "Artist of the Millenium" and then hand him a trophy if not to present an award? SO STUPID! I can't believe the depths in which people tried to make MJ look foolish.

It just goes to show you how cruel ppl can be. They let this misconception live for years to humiliate MJ and only now want to clarify. Kiss my butt all over.

MTV is now going to try and revive themselves by paying tribute to Michael, watch. They are gonna name the show after him, name some award after him, play his videos, etc. But I don't care. It's too late for them to make amends.

MTV really is weird...and messing things up. Read the bold part especially....the bold part completely down below..not the title.

Michael Jackson's 'Artist Of The Millennium' Award, In MJ's Top MTV Moments

Britney Spears' birthday wishes to Michael at the 2002 VMAs turned into something else.

By Kyle Anderson

Views 6,073 injectFluxWidget('Rating', {uri: 'mgid:uma:content:mtv.com:1614841', customCss: 'yes', contentType:'Article'});

• injectFluxWidget('ContentAction', {addToMyFeeds: true, uri: 'mgid:uma:content:mtv.com:1614841'}); Add to My Profile

• Print
  • SHARETHIS.addEntry({}, {button:true} ); ShareThis

The 2002 Video Music Awards were held on August 29 of that year. That date also happened to be Michael Jackson's birthday, so as a way of celebrating the day and honoring the man, MTV threw an impromptu birthday party for Jackson during the show.
Britney Spears was drafted to introduce Jackson and present him with a giant birthday cake. During her speech to set up the event, Spears praised Jackson's work (she's a big fan) and referred to him as the "artist of the millennium." She brought Jackson out and presented him with the cake, but that's when things got a little awkward.

In what became a signature moment in VMA history, Jackson began giving an acceptance speech thinking he had been presented with an award called "Artist of the Millennium." In an uncomfortable moment (later lampooned the following year by Jack Black), Jackson talked about his childhood in Indiana and how appreciative he was for this honor. Everybody was slightly confused, but eventually the audience at Radio City Music Hall went along with it and gave Jackson an ovation when he was finished.
Upon learning of Jackson's death on Thursday, Spears issued a statement, saying, "I was so excited to see his show in London. We were going to be on tour in Europe at the same time, and I was going to fly in to see him. He has been an inspiration throughout my entire life, and I'm devastated he's gone!"
Though it was a bit uncomfortable, the birthday incident certainly added to Jackson's legacy as a staple of the Video Music Awards.

MTV is now going to try and revive themselves by paying tribute to Michael, watch. They are gonna name the show after him, name some award after him, play his videos, etc. But I don't care. It's too late for them to make amends.

agree. it's completely sickening, they can just go screw themselves. If they were sincere they should have apologzed to MJ while he was alive for completely humiliating him like that.

Back